z

Young Writers Society

Notre-Dame de Paris

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:21 am
Apple says...

If you've ever watched the Hunchback of Notre Dame then that is what the SB is based upon. If you haven't, it doesn't really matter, just make sure you know some stuff about the 1400's. :D

Notre-Dame de Paris

Plot:
January 6, 1482 in Paris, France, the day of the 'Festival of Fools'. Not only this, it is also the day that all Gypsies were sentenced to be killed by the King of France. Forced into hiding, the Gypsies bury themselves underground a cemetry which they rename the Court of Miracles, a place where Gypsies can live in peace. So they think...The King will not stop till he has burnt every single Gypsie at a stake in the name of the Church. Innocents are being killed and the Gypsie kind is being slaughtered one by one. As the days thin, and the number of gypsy's whithers, it's up to you to help save your kind what's left of them, anyway.

Settings:
As you've probably guessed, it is set in the 1400's. That means swords, blacksmiths and all that jazz. Gypsies are considered witches and anyway who supports them supposedly supports the black arts and you all know what happened to people who did that kind of thing...Also, it's in France, so it will be rather France-ish.

Court of Miracles:

The enterance is from the largest grave in the Notre-Dame cemetry. When the casket is pulled aside, it leads down into a sewer cast with human remains. Most of the remains are dead, only some are gypsies disguised as dead bodies. If you're caught, they won't give you time to speak unless you're one of them, if they think that you oppose them then you know what that means.

Death.

The Court is lit by candle light. Everywhere you look is coloured tents and merry makers. You could say it's Gypsie heaven except for the lack of sunlight. The court is run by the founder, who is also the leader of the Gypsies. He's not an honest man, far from it, though he cares for his people and thats all that really seperates the French soldiers from them Gypsies.

Information:

-The SB will start on the Festival of Fools. It's where someone is crowned the King of the Fools. That's the only thing that is for sure, everything else is in your hands.

-You will not be locked under ground, far from it. You infact are often above ground, trying to save commoners who are supposedly accused of helping Gypsies. That and save your kind. So a little guard jostling and merry making is definitely supports and intended.

-All the money you earn is never kept for yourself. You each have a job and that is to entertain - place bread on the table you could say. You must think of something that makes you worthy from the rest. After all, you're not a commoner, you're a gypsie.

-The King is not a nice man and he is heavily guarded, he won't be easy to kill. Also, if you mess with him without help you will be killed. So it's kind of like real life, not a spur on the writer.

-All rules are as applied. YWS (Young Writer's Society) rules.

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b] (Add strengths and Weaknesses in here. Also dislikes and likes)
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Job:[/b] (What do you do as an entertainer?)
[b]History:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

DT Link. Anything that is not SB postin' related type thing-o goes in there.
Last edited by Apple on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I spy!

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:41 am
kidashka says...

Spot saved for a female gypsy :)
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:44 am
ScarlettFire says...

I'm in too. Female Gypsy: Dancer.

Name: Mirela Rosaire. (Also known as Tsura Rose.)

Personality: Kind, caring, loving, distant, determined, and fiery, Tsura has a fiery temper but is friendly and kind--unless she's angry (which is when her friends and family are being harmed/threatened). Although her temper has a shot fuse, she doesn't lose it often and prefers peace to violence. She doesn't like to fight but can and will use her dagger if she needs to. She often seems timid and shy, though it's usually just a mask to distract others. She can be really brave and proud, but doesn't like authority figures very much. She thinks they're filthy scum. Loves the sea, swimming, the moon and stars, sailing, shells, running, climbing and cats. Dislikes authority figures, anything authority-related and the King--especially him. She's fast on her feet, knows how to use a dagger and can swim but she's hopeless at anything other than the dagger. Can dance and cook, but can't ride.

Appearance:Tsura is tall-ish, about 5'6, with waist length dark hair in a single plait down her back and dark blue-grey eyes. She's slim but athletic and is often seen wearing a white peasant top and a dark red skirt. Tsura wears a mask when she dances to hide her face.
Spoiler! :
Light_the_Way_by_lucias_tears.jpg
Light_the_Way_by_lucias_tears.jpg (421.95 KiB) Viewed 290 times

Job: Dancer.

History: Mirela's childhood is a bit of a mystery, but her friends do know about her brother. He's been missing for years though. Nowadays she preforms as Tsura Rose and travels around the city with a few close friends. Although she longs to see her brother again.

Other: Hasn't seen her brother Nicolae in years. Tsura's real name is Mirela Rosaire, but she hasn't told anyone this.
Last edited by ScarlettFire on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:08 pm
SisterItaly says...

*will finish*

Name: Luca

Personality: Luca is quiet and kept in. He's screaming on the inside. He spends a lot of his time practicing his act and improving his strength. He's not a fast runner though, he often gets distracted. He hates horses, with a bloody passion he hates horses. He does what he is told, because it gives him the slightest feeling his life is still worth something. He never learned to swim.

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Job:Fire juggler

History: Luca's parents died when he was young, so he was raised by other gypsies. He always felt distant to everyone, like he didn't belong with them. Then he met a beautiful girl, she changed his world. Made him feel like something. But, she died in an accident, a horse went out of control as she crossed the street and stomped her to a bloody pulp. He held her bloody hand for hours, before his adoptive parents dragged him away. He still has her charm bracket, and never let's anyone touch it. Three weeks after her death he attempted to commit suicide, but he was stopped.

Other:
Spoiler! :
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

199 Reviews

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:14 pm
Apple says...

Hey awesome! I didn't think anyone was going to join. Once we get five (or four) profiles up, we'll start this (including mine). I think I'll make a DT for this...what do you guys think?

Name: Garridan (He doesn't know his last name because he never knew his parents)

Personality: Garridan is a lost puppy you could say. With his head down and his eager metaphorical tail flapping behind him, he will deal with what ever is through at him with a cute, doe-eyed smile. He doesn't like to voice his problem and will shy away if someone starts giving him a hard time, hiding his anger from the world. It's only when he is by his lonesome will he let all his anger out and that's usually on things without a pulse - eg. trees. Garridan is great at what he does. He can sing, play the flute and even dance (shuffle his feet, actually). When put on the spot he will improvise to the best of his ability, though when left alone he will lose it.

Appearance: Garridan loves to wear bandanas. Over his head, around his neck, across his wrist...He doesn't go over the top with bells, though he does where on around his neck on a single peice of ribbon. It was thrown at him by an admirer when he playing his flute. His hair is a little longer and shaggier then that in the picture, though his eyes are a lot darker so they seem black.

Spoiler! :

Job: Flute Player.

History: Garridan's birth was a mystery. He appeared out of no where upon a stormy night as a little babe and the gypgie crew he was left before had no choice but to take him unless they wanted the fault of death placed upon them. Though, no one wanted him. He was - and still is - believed to be a bad omen. Garridan grew up by himself, following always ten paces behind the line of caravans. The gypsies did supply him warmth when it was cold and food for when his stomach was empty, though there was no real love imbetween them, though Garridan had proven several times that he'd risk his life to save them. When he was old enough to start entertaining, he forced onto streets to do an act. He had tried several things such as dancing - though he didn't have the same effect as the other gypsie dancers -, fire juggling - he scorched his pants a light and even fortune telling, which he failed completely at. It was when he found his flute did he really began to entertain instead of making a fool out of him.

Other: He is constantly looking for his real parents. Even if it means he gets the whip against his back, he does not care. Although Garridan loves the gypsie caravan, he'd give it all away to find out his real birth right parents were and why they left him on that stormy night.

This is his old reed pipe which he always hides under his loose shirt. He goes no where without it in fear that he will lose it and never be able to entertain again. He's a talented singer also, though Garridan will never sing in front of no one, ever!
Spoiler! :
I spy!

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:29 pm
wonderland says...

Name: Isabella Elena (Mostly just called Bella)
Personality: She's a very strong willed young woman, who knows what she wants, and exactly when she wants it. She hates people who try to boss her around to much, and when she doesn't get her way. She's highly enjoys making people do things for her. She is a bit of a brat, sometimes selfish and whiny. She can also be really sweet and very forgiving, if she thinks someone deserves it.
Appearance: Long, long, long black hair, huge, sparkling blue eyes. She is tall, thin and pale. She wears a a black peasent top, and white skirt. She wears a necklace with some type of pretty sparkly blue stone.
Job: she's a dancer
History: She was abandon by a family of eight, being the last girl born. She had lived on the street since she was six. Her memory is a little bit fuzzy towards her old family. She prefers not to talk about her past much, though.
Other: She's also a very cunning thief.

((Did I do that right?))
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

199 Reviews

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:43 pm
Apple says...

Sure is. We got one more person posting and then we can start! :D
Last edited by Apple on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I spy!

362 Reviews

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:45 pm
wonderland says...

Okay cool. And sorry, it's so short. Im not used you making sheets like that. i like to make things up as I go.
'We will never believe again, kick drum beating in my chest again, oh, we will never believe in anything again, preach electric to a microphone stand.'

*Formerly wickedwonder*

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:58 pm
MilkNCookies says...

Name: Skyler (sky)
Personality: She's shy, but when you get to know her she has a bubbly personality. It seems she has not a care in the world, though she is quite confused about everything. She loves animals, and her friends. She is fiercely loyal and blames herself for her parent's deaths.
Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Job: Plays the Ocarina
Spoiler! :

History: Her parents died protecting her(they were all gypsys). they showed themselves to make sure the king didn't see sky. Her parents got her the oncarina at six as a cheap birthday gift. After they discovered she was amazing, they got a high-quality one that she preforms with.
Other:
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:01 pm
SisterItaly says...

I think we need more guys. Luca may like all these girls, but we don't want any fights over Luca... yet ;)
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:16 pm
Dragonet says...

Name: Olly Took. No one knows his real last name, but people call him Took because he's so mischievous and foolish (you know, like Pippen Took from the Lord of the Rings)

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Personality: Olly is a trouble maker, mischievous, funny, a big flirt, and independent. He loves teasing the guards, which usually gets into big trouble. He's kind of immature and sometimes acts foolish and younger then his age. He doesn't have any parents and watches over himself. He doesn't go by rules or discipline, and it usually gets him into bad situations, but he's always managed to get out. He likes teasing the guards, girls, being right, heights, animals, and children. He doesn't like being bored, elders, and rules. Olly is an amazing dancer and very agile and acrobatic. He is not book smart, but he has a sharp, scheming mind.

Job: He gets most of his money by stealing (which he is great at, btw) but occasionally he we will dance, juggle, or do a few magic tricks for a few gold coins.

History: Typical gypsy life. Olly lost both of his parents when he was four years old. For three years he moved from house to house, always getting kicked out for being to much of a trouble maker. At seven years old he became independent did, well what ever he felt like. He stole for his food and slept in the court of miracles.

Other: Maybe later.
Last edited by Dragonet on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

Do you have any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?

199 Reviews

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:19 pm
Apple says...

>Might as well start. Anyone who still wants to join can, and anyone who has saved a spot just post your profile and start typin'! I am agreeing with AMU. There are only two guys. I think I'll make another character if there aren't any more people joinging...<

EDIT: Three guys now, actually. :D

Garridan:

Lights. Music. Sweat.

The streets of Notre-dame where alive with people, bustling through crowds to get closer to the show. I watched like an eager child as people danced across a wide stage, blew fire, did acrobatic stunts...Gold was tossed into the air and Gypsies bent down to claim it before returning to their routine. I felt my heart glow, this was what we were born to do. I stepped out from behind the caravan and felt the sun's rays prickle over my body.

The crowd began to clap and the dancers on stage moved their body more elegantly then before. I felt someone push me out of the way from admiring one girl shaking her hips, and I was sent sprawling across the floor. I coughed as dirty water flickered over my face. Was I supposed to go up on stage? Standing up, I used the bandana around my neck to wipe the dirty water from my face. This was another thing us gypsies had to suffer from. Before I could see who did it, I felt hands suddenly claim me and I pulled upwards onto the stage.

"Play!" I heard someone shout. There was so many people! From as far as the eye could see, people dressed in their finest clapped their hands and cheered. Children where mounted on father's shoulders, whilsting and trying their best to throw coins up towards us. I felt a pang of jealousy, I had never had a father to lift me onto his shoulders to watch the Festival of Fools.

"Let's hear some music!" someone closer yelled. The beat of the tambourine and the jiggling of bells and other trinkets were to hard to resist. Banishing my thoughts, I pulled my flute out from under my shirt. Blowing on the mouth peice, the soft melody piped through the crowd. Someone grabbed at my arm and as I played I was twirled through masses of brightly coloured skirt to the other side of the stage. A smile lit up my face. Life couldn't change from this. I twirled on the balls of my feet to freeze. Bustling through the crowd was the King of France. The men around him forced people out of the way as they led the King to the throne he was supposed to sit upon, to watch us entertain.

Gross. The words tasted at my lips. I never liked the King, though I could never escape his ugly sneer. He climbed upon his throne bored. Every year he would come out of his castle just to see us, and every year he looked border and border. Like he was disgusted by us. Then the feeling was nuteral.
I spy!

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:34 pm
MilkNCookies says...

I watched Garridan preform, watching him admiringly. He moved across the stage so elegantly, nimble on his feet. The music he played was amazing, entrancing even as it floated back to the caravan. I saw him watch the king, a snarl a permanent feature on his big, ugly face. I got out my Ocarina, gently playing a few notes. No matter how pure the notes were, nothing was comparable to Garridan preforming. I checked my skirt, making sure it was covering everything. After a bit, Garridan slid from the stage.

"Good job," I told him quietly, looking down at my feet.

"Thanks," He replied. The simple words sent butterflies through my stomach. He walked farther from the stage, tucking his flute back into his shirt. I whistled some notes, getting ready to go on. I peeped my head from the caravan, watching gypsies dance and get gold tips. I looked into a cup of water. I was presentable. Quietly, I wobbled onto the stage. Many shouts of 'play!' sounded through the crowd. Blowing hard enough so everyone could hear, I played Au Clare de la Lune, a song that my mother sang to me. A quickly moved onto to a merrier tune, and the gypsies danced accordingly. After that was done, I moved onto an impressive song,(P.S I'm making this one up) The hoped from long ago. My fingers moved quickly, and so did the dancer's feet, shoulders, and mostly hips. Quickly, I jumped off the stage after that, watching Garridan from across the caravan, butterflies dancing in my stomach much like the gypsies were.
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

362 Reviews

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:41 pm
wonderland says...

(Belle)
I danced along with the music, artfully watching the crowd for anyhting I could steal. A gold bracelet here, a watch there. There was nothing...nice enough, though, so I kept dancing, in time to the music and rhythm. I watched as a gold coin flew my way. I snapped it from the air, and slipped it into a slit on my dress, grinning.
THen I stopped dancing, and slipped off the stage. I needed a break.

*Formerly wickedwonder*

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:20 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Tsura [Mirela]:

I span round and round, twisted this way and that. Dancing on stage was making me giddy, but I didn't stop. I made a note of the King sitting down on his throne then eyed the crowd as I span around again, in time with the music. In time to the tambourine, and the pipe. The drums.

The rhythm of the song was slowly turning hypnotic. I span again, eyes closed. And when I looked into the crowd, my step faltered. My brother was staring back at me, and then I span around yet again. When I scanned the crowd, he was gone. I shook my head and stepped back into the fast dancing pace I was at a moment ago.

Someone was singing, but I didn't hear the words. All I heard was the music and the crowd cheering. "Tsura, Tsura!"

And someone calling my name--my real name; "Mirela!"

I tried to ignore it, but it grew persistent. I looked into the crowd again, and there was my brother. Closer than before. I blinked and it was just another stranger watching us dancing. I sighed, letting the air whoosh out as I settled into a steady and slow hypnotic shimmy.

Someone whistled, and someone else called out my name--Tsura. I reached up to make sure my mask was still on and kept dancing. This was the life, the dream. Travelling and dancing. Earning my keep. A coin landed by my left foot and I swooped down to pick it up, tucking it into my bodice. I threw the crowd a coy smile. And they cheered.

Yes, this was my life. Travelling and dancing, earning coin and stealing it where I could. Who wouldn't love that?
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

I'm also not sure why but even though I normally wear cool tones I have a feeling red would have been my color in the 1860s.
— Elinor