z

Young Writers Society

The Call of the Ten *started*

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:30 pm
Dragonet says...

This is a storybook based off of a novel I'm (attempting) to write. So if you join this, than know that I might use something you did/said in my book.
Think of this SB not as just another storybook that you're joining, but as a novel that we're writing together.

Place
You're in the country of Arbido. The country consists of ten different tribes; Dohg, Katt, Reptyll, Byrd, Bair, Beecst, Roddint, Prymait, Fynn, and Hoph. (Don't worry, I'm not going to make you memorize them all). These tribes don't get alone with each other, at all. They are constantly fighting with each other, they don't trade merchandise, and they don't see, speak, or mingle with one another. The one and only exception is the Bair and Beecst tribe, they live together in harmony.

Plot
You are from one of these tribes, but you are different from the rest of your tribe, you are chosen.

Before you were born, your parents had a dream sent from Jira (Jira is like the God/Jesus figure in this storybook. Although you don't have to be Christians to be in this SB). The dream said that your parents would have a child (you) and that he/she was chosen by Jira for a special task, though no one knows what that task is.

Jira gave your parents a bronze, four inch, pie-shaped charm and commanded them to give to you when you were born and to never let you be separated from it. The charm is your 'mark' that shows that you are chosen; you can where it in your bracelet, anklet, arm band, belt, crown, whatever you want, but never part with it. You need your charm so that when the time comes, Jira's messengers (angels) know where to find you, so that they can give you your task.

That time has come.

Your task
Jira's messengers came to you in a dream/vision telling you that you are to meet 9 others that are chosen, like you. You are to meet them at a place called Council Clearing on the full moon. The messenger did not tell you what you are to do once you reach the clearing with the others, only that you are to go. (I will tell you what your quest is in the DT before we start).

Spots
There is only one 'chosen one' in each tribe, which means there are only ten spots open, so if you want to join, join fast to get in the tribe that you want.

(No more spots)
Spoiler! :
Bair: Dragonet ~ Cody Blackbear (halfling)
Beecst: Apple ~ Sailor Raccoon
Byrd: Ninjacookiemonster ~ Abby Hummingbird
Fynn: fictionfantic ~ Merdoshi (Doe) Blueshark
Katt: Allmixedup ~ Alex Panther
Dohg: GreatIthy ~ Lupin Wolf
Roddint: Dragonet ~ Yelir Weasel
Reptyll: Light-Devil ~ Shaedow Cobra (halfling)
Prymait: Alz_gal ~ Farrin Orangutan
Hoph: Pernicious ~ Alces Muse

Other information
Now, if you're to be part of this country there are some things you should know about the tribes.
1 Number one is your appearance. The people in this country look slightly different then we do. According to the tribe, they have certain appearances.
Here's a list of the different tribes and their appearances; I also added a little bit about their general personallity/behavior, and any other details that I think is necessary for you to know.

Dohg (pronounced like the word Dog)
Spoiler! :
The Dohg tribe is one of the strongest, leading tribes. They are very muscular and brutal.
The Dohg people look like normal humans, except for their two dog ears that sprout from their head. The shape and color of the ears are determined on their family name. For example: If your name was Thomas Collie then your ears would be tulip-shaped and brown. If your name was Elizabeth Blacklab then your ears would be black and floppy. Makes sense?
The Dohg people are carnivores. They also have briliant hearing and an amazing sense of smell.

Byrd(pronounced 'Bird')
Spoiler! :
The Byrds are cheerful, bright, happy, light-hearted people. Because they are not built for hunting and war, they live in giant tree houses to stay safe from other tribes like the Dohg and Katt tribes.
The Byrd people have small, twig-like bones and thin hair. Connected to their back they have a pair of wings. Just like the Doghs, the color and pattern determined on the last name. Damon Raven's wings would be black, and Victoria Chickadee's wings would be brown, white, and speckled.

Hoph (pronounced 'Hoof')
Spoiler! :
The Hoph tribe is a strong tribe that is well protected.
The Hoph people have big, strong bones, with high pain intolerance. They have a head of thick hair, and two horns/antlers. Again, the color, size, and shape of the horns depend on the family name. Rebekah Moose would have large, paddle-shaped antlers coming out of her head, Tom antelope would have thin, spiraled horns. (Note: the horse family is the only exception, they are the only Hophs without any sort of horn/antler)
The Hoph tribe is strictly herbivorous. They are known to be a stubborn, thickheaded people (pun intended).

Katt (Cat)
Spoiler! :
The Katt tribe is up there with the Dohgs. They are powerful hunters, and mighty warriors.
The Katt's distinguished body part is it's tail. The tail can be thick and fluffy like a maine coon, or thin and short-haired like a panther, it depends on the family which you come from.
The Katt people are carnivores. They also have night vision.

Fynn (Fin)
Spoiler! :
The Fynn tribe lives in the ocean (yes, I said in the ocean). They have a set of three gills on each side of their rib cages, this is how they breath underwater. Though they can also breath on land. The have a fin-like thing stretched from their elbow to their wrist. Once again, color and texture depends on the family name. They do not have tails like mermaids.

Bair (Bear)
Spoiler! :
The Bairs are strong, amazing fighters, and generally tough in nature, but they are a very peaceful people.
The Bair people are bigger built and normally tall (so, they have the build of a football player). They are also a very hairy people, all the men usually have facial hair. They have sharp, carnivorous teeth and pointed finger nails. Although the Bairs have carnivorous teeth, they are omnivors.

Beecst (Beast)
Spoiler! :
The Beecst tribe is very similar to the Bair tribe. They both share sharp teeth, pointed nails, and omnivores. The Bair and Beecst are the only tribes that live together in harmony. Their tribes live very close together and they normally share merchandise, their army, families, and holidays.
(ps. Beecsts are animals like raccoons, skunks, possums, badgers, and middle sized mammals like that.)

Roddint (Rodent)
Spoiler! :
The Roddints are very small, with the average size of a full-grown man at 5'6, and the women at 5'. They are shy, timid people and know nothing of war and hunting. To stay safe from neighboring tribes, the Roddint tribe lives underground in a labyrinth of tunnels; with the few Roddints that do know how to fight, blocking the tunnel entrances.
Not only are the Roddints abnormally small, but they also have a set of whiskers sprouting from their face. The Roddint people are herbivores, and extremely good farmers. Unfortunately, because plants have to grow on the surface of the earth, their crops were raided almost every year, that is until they signed a contract with the Byrd tribe. The contract says that the Byrd army will protect the Roddints crops at the end of each year, and the Roddints will give the Byrds one-eighth of their crops. That is the only time that those two tribes interact with each other.
They mature 1.5 years slower then normal.

Pymait (Primate, as in monkeys and such)
Spoiler! :
Prymaits are actually normal looking, no extra body parts.
Although they are not fond of weapons and war, they have no troubles with enemies. They are known to be an absolutely brilliant people, and they set all sorts of clever traps around their borders to keep invading tribes out.

Reptyll (Reptile) For all of you people who love to have emo, dark characters, here's your chance.
Spoiler! :
In a word? Death. They have sickening pale skin, that is dry, cracked and pealing. They have 'slit eyes' (you know, like cat eyes). And, depending on their name, they have a thin, slithering tongue.
The Reptyll lives far out in the desert, desolated, and separated from the rest of the tribes by many many miles. The Reptyll people are dark, dangerous, and cold hearted. No one dares to travel to there villages, because of the desert, and because of the people. Not much is known about their tribe except that they are silent and mysterious.

By now you have probably figured out that the people in this storybook are more like animal/people. The reason that I didn't mention that before, was because it sounds weird, little kid-ish, and dumb, and you probably wouldn't have even given my SB a chance.
Notice I have made ten different groups, there should be a place for every animal in those ten different groups. With the exception of some, such as the elephant, hippo, beaver, etc. These misfit families live as merchants by themselves. If you have a question about which tribe an animal belongs in, then ask about it in the DT and I will gladly tell you.
Now, I want to make sure there is no misunderstanding, these are not animals, they are not people that can shape shift into animals, they can not talk/communicate with animals, they are people with an added animal body part and\or some animal behavior.

2 The number two thing that you should know is that your name means everything. Not only does your last name determine what animal you represent, it also tells what rank you have in your tribe. According to your name, you are either in the royal family, a peasant, or somewhere high in honor, such as a general or a duke. Here's some examples: For the Byrd tribe, the eagle family is royal, any bird of prey family would be high in honor, and the song bird families would be peasants. For the Katt tribe, the lion family is royal, the big cats are high in honor, and the house-pet cats are peasants. Get it? (Again, any questions can be posted in the DT).

3 It is middle aged time. Bow and arrows, swords, axes, no electricity, grow their own food, etc. But they do not talk like "thee" and "thou".

4 The land that they live on is shaped like a circle. Each tribe is pie-shaped, with rivers running in between the tribes, like boundary lines. The council clearing (where the chosen ones are to meet) is in the middle of the land, where the tribes all come together. The leaders of each tribe used to meet there every year under a peace treaty, but that was long ago, now they don't get along as well.

5 One more thing about their appearance. They get there looks on the dad's side of the family. So if your mom's last name was Angelfish and your dad was Clownfish, then your fins would be orange clown fish fins. Or if your mom's last name was Robin and your dad's was Raven, then you would have black hair and black wings. Get it?

Rules! Everyone loves rules!
Spoiler! :
1. General YWS rules
2. Romance is aloud (duh! what would a SB be like without some?) But no sex scenes, and keep it straight.
3. *sighs* I guess cussing is aloud, but don't make it a second language.
4. Please keep the girl/guy ratio even. There are ten spots, so lets say 5 girls and 5 boys.
5. Please don't save a spot, just post your profile right here, right now. If you really, really want to be from a certain tribe, then you can save it, but please make sure you get your profile in by the end of that day.
6. If you have a question, ask! Really, I want at least one question from everyone (it's not a rule, I'm putting it out there that I want you to ask lots and lots of questions).
7. Have fun with your character! That's my main rule. Make him/her do something funny and laugh! Do something unique, something different and have fun with it. Really let your imagination take control.

Character Profile The words in parentheses are guide lines, please do not put them in your profile.
Spoiler! :
Name: (Remember, names mean everything. Your last name will depend what animal your character represents and what rank her family is in. You can be anyone from royalty to the lowest peasant. [Also, I will allow one half-ling, which is a child with parents from to different tribes. If you decide to do this, then realize that your character will have been through a lot of disintegration])
Tribe:
Appearance: (Please apply pictures and words. I understand that you will have a hard time trying to find someone with whiskers, dog ears, etc. So just do a pic of a normal human and describe in writing what their added part looks like, if you want to.) (and put down how your character wears his/her charm. In a headband, braclet, necklace, you can even have it forged into a sword hilt if you want to.)
Personality: (Like I said before, have fun with it. I know it's tempting to be a perfect, always-happy kid, but be someone else! It's so much more fun when everybody is different.)
Other Personality: (Here, put any other, random information about their likes/dislikes or strengths/weaknesses. Try to make it like their tribe, for example: A Katt would hate water and be an excellent climber.)
Packing: (Here, put the weapon that your character is taking on the quest, and any other important items worth mentioning.)
Up for love: (why do I even ask? Everyone is going to say yes)
Other:

Here's the DT topic69418.html Enjoy!
Last edited by Dragonet on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 29 times in total.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

Do you have any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:37 pm
SisterItaly says...

Name: Alex Panther

Tribe: Katt

Appearance:Alex is about 5'2" and 115lbs. She has a slender build and peircing yellow/green eyes. Is often dressed nicley because she is up there in the social ladder. May not be royalty, but definatly not a peasent. (and no cat ears) Wears her charm around her neck.
Spoiler! :

Personality: Alex isn't just another pretty face, she trained hard and is an excellent fighter, and likes to show off her skills. She doesn't like being the center of attention. Alex is actually quite quiet and likes to be left alone, she is also quite adventurous and hard to keep up with.

Other Personality: She is intrested in EVERYTHING, especially since her parents don't let her out much, so she sneaks out. She HATES water, and can't swim, it's her biggest weakness. She also isn't very strong physically, and is easily persuaded. She is a strong hand at hand fighter and a wicked climber. She also is very fast on her feet.

Packing:
Spoiler! :
ImageImageImage

Up for love:
(why do I even ask? Everyone is going to say yes)
DUH-YA

Other:[
Last edited by SisterItaly on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:41 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Name: Abby Humming. Her last name's really Hummingbird, but that's too long for her taste, so she just says Humming.

Tribe: Byrd

Appearance: Abby's hair is pale blonde, and she's got the absolute biggest blue eyes you've ever seen. She's pretty small and looks delicate, which is odd given her actions. She likes wearing bright colors and floaty clothes, and her wings are thin and fragile looking. At the base, they're jade green, and after a layer of forget-me-not blue, the majority of her wings are bright violet. Wears her charm on a snugly fit cuff bracelet on her right wrist.

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Personality: Utterly and absolutely lovable. A bit of a spazz, jumpy and high-energy, quirky and the sweetest girl you'll ever meet. She's a bit naive, though, and doesn't quite understand the way the world works. She would protest to being called innocent, but it's the truth. She's well loved by her tribe and is highly sensitive, and can make quite an impact, physically, if she's pushed far enough.

Other Personality: Likes: Flying, fruits, sunshine, the forest, nature, anything shiny.

Dislikes: Walking, the fat on meat, heat, deserts, authority, and being told what to do.

Strengths: Fast, fast, fast. Quick flyer, light, good climber (oddly enough), a good scavenger, and near always has a good attitude. Crazy good aim.

Weaknesses: Actually rather weak. Clumsy on land, gets dizzy, a bit oblivious, easily distracted, and is naive.

Packing: These bad boys:

Spoiler! :

Climbing claws. They're excellent for, well, climbing, and if she strikes you while wearing them, it'll freaking hurt. Also bringing a slightly too big cloak with slits in the back for her wings, a slingshot, and a necklace her sister made for her when Abby was a week old. It's a black suede string with four beads -green, yellow, blue, purple- with A-B-B-Y spelled out. She wears it always.

Up for love: I'm going to be original and say... yes. 8)

Other: Is a Gatherer for the Byrds- she picks fruit and berries, basically provides food. It's a useful skill. Her slingshot:

Spoiler! :
Last edited by NinjaCookieMonster on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 10 times in total.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

25 Reviews

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:54 pm
Dragonet says...

You guys, when I said that you have to post your profiles by the end of the day, I meant a filled out profile. :lol:

And please delete the words in parentheses.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:59 pm
View Likes
ForsakenAngel says...

I call a female Roddent(: please and thank you!
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

57 Reviews

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Oh look! It's full now!
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:37 pm
TheGreatIthy says...

Name: Lupin Wolf

Tribe: Dohg

Appearance:

Spoiler! :

*HAHA! Finally got it to work! Not perfect, but the length is right, just imagine the hair being white and clean shaven.

He takes heavily from the snow wolf, so he has white, shoulder length hair and bright blue eyes. He always wears a white shirt or coat and light brown pants. His wolf ears are white and pointy facing outwards. If you see pictures of wolves looking at the camera, he kind of looks like that when he is looking straight at someone. He wears his charm on a necklace that is hidden in his shirt.

Personality: Lupin is the stubborn leader type. He cannot stand not leading any team and will fight for the position. If he loses, he will be like a loyal dog (sorry for pun) to the winner, but has trouble taking orders. Will deviate from plan whether his own will work or not in search of action. If he is the leader, he can make plans, but tends to act on impulse if he finds an opportunity. He is generally a happy person and tends to be the one to try and keep team morale up. He does wear his emotions on his sleeve and can get angry or upset really easily when it concerns the people he cares about.

Other Personality:
Likes: Being a leader, freshly cooked rabbit is his favorite. Loves to be in the forest during the night. The person who beat him in a fair match for leadership (if happens)
Dislikes: Anybody or anything that threatens the people he cares about.
Strengths: Typical Dohg strength, hearing, smell. Also is very charasmatic and a natural leader.
Weaknesses: Not much endurance or speed. Cannot climb at all. Not much of a swimmer. Very emotional which can lead to some rash decisions.

Packing: For a weapon, he carries a rapier. He is pretty efficient with it, but is no pro yet.

Spoiler! :

Up for love: Sure, but I won't make it easy. ;)

Other: I finally got the photos! Thanks for the help!
Last edited by TheGreatIthy on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bees: They sting because they love!!

Will review for food!

57 Reviews

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:43 pm

Click spoiler, then 'img', and then copy and paste your image. Don't highlight anything, just copy and paste. Hope that helps!
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

25 Reviews

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:46 pm
Dragonet says...

Allmixedup~ Good, but could you put the bag and weapon and book in a spoiler? Thanx. And, just to make sure you know, your character only has the tail, not the ears.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:48 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Wait, are all the spost already filled or can I still join?
Live, Love, Laugh

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:58 pm
TheGreatIthy says...

Sorry, I fail at photos... What website do you use? I think the one I'm using isn't right or something.
Bees: They sting because they love!!

Will review for food!

57 Reviews

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:03 am

No one specific site. Google images, then full size. Sometimes the sites'll copyright images, or do something weird, so the image can't be used.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

25 Reviews

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:06 am
Dragonet says...

Ithy~ It's not a certain website. When you're at the picture that you want, go waaaaay up to the very top of the screen. There's a bar up there that says something like http://www and then some other words/letters after that. Highlight the bar and then right click and select "copy". Then, go to your profile and right click and select "paste". That's how you make a link. After you've made your link, you can chose to place it in a spoiler (Not all pictures will go in a spoiler) to do this, highlight the link and click img, and then click spoiler.

Ficfan~ There are some spots still open. :wink:
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

25 Reviews

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:01 am
Dragonet says...

I was going to do a polarbear, but everyone who has joined so far has blond hair and blue eyes. So I guess I'm doing a black bear.

Name: Cody Blackbear

Tribe: Bair

Appearance: Choppy, thick black hair. Brown eyes. Dark tan. 5'9 in height, and a strong build. Seeing as facial hair is the style for Bairs, I'll give him side burns and a little stubble on his chin. A mouth full of carnivorous teeth and sharp, pointed nails. He normally wears a black-bear-fur vest. He has wears his chosen charm in his arm band.
Spoiler! :
Except older looking and some facial hair, and taller, and biger-built, but same skin color and hair.Image

Personality: Strong, serious, knows what he's doing. He's a listener, not a talker. Very protective. Because he's never had a secure family (read below in 'other' to find out what I'm talking about) he wants to make sure no one goes through what he has, so he treats everyone as family and watches out for them.

Other personality: He's very strong and talented with his Dao swords, but he's almost just as good with out them. Ever since he was little he's had to leard to defend himself, and he's good at fist fighting. He isn't very quick of nimble. Likes fish, berries, and climbing trees. Doesn't like bullies.

Packing: Dao swords. By the way, they're two separate swords.
Spoiler! :

And his dad's necklace that he wears.
Spoiler! :

Up for love?: Yep!

Other: Cody is a halfling. His dad was a black bear, but his mom was a cow from the Hoph tribe. They fell in love, ran away, got married, and had Cody. In a tragic accident, Cody's father died, and his mom took him with her to the Hoph tribe. His mom remarried and Cody live the first 7 years of his life at the Hoph tribe. But he wasn't safe. The other children were cruel to him. They would corner him in an alley and beat him up. Finally, his mom decided it would be better for Cody if he lived in the Bair tribe. So she sent him to his uncle's house. He's lived there ever since.
Last edited by Dragonet on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

25 Reviews

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:45 am
Dragonet says...

Ithy~ You need to write down how old your character is.

Oh! I forgot to mention that you need to tell how your character wears his/her chosen charm. Write it in the Appearance please. Thanx! (and sorry for forgetting)
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

It's funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief