z

Young Writers Society

Virals Rising (accepting characters!)

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:04 pm
RedBird says...

Okay...this is loosely based on Justin Cronin's novel, The Passage, which is an AMAZING book, and worth reading.

Anyway...the plot:

The year is 2020. In lieu of the rising threat of war from all sides, the U.S. government has been doing some serious study into bioengineering, to try and make supersoldiers to protect their borders. Strains of a virus that has only been documented in a single species of Bolivian bat are being used to enhance the bodies, longevity, and stamina of normal human beings. The virus, in its current form, causes the body to grow an advance exoskeleton of hardened proteins that is virtually impregnable, except in a few key spots. The body loses hair, teeth fall out, replaced by razor-sharp fangs, and the eyes glow a brilliant orange. If this weren't all enough, the subjects also become wildly unpredictable, once the virus has completed its maturity. Truth be told, they aren't even really human anymore, filled with a bloodlust that cannot be quenched, and equipped with the tools to fulfill that lust. 12 strains of the virus, 12 subjects. Luckily, the subjects of this experiment are kept under 24/7 surveillance at a secure facility in the Rocky Mountains. Until something goes wrong.

No one can say exactly what happens, but suddenly, the guards of each subject,12 in all, begin to act strangely, and can't remember long stretches of time. Then, one night, just as the last subject, a young woman, is given the most advanced form of the virus, the guards all simultaneously release their subjects. Chaos. Guns have no effect. Human speed is laughable compared to the force of the monsters. But they do not kill all. No. Some are left, horribly mauled, but alive. And they begin to change.

In the midst of the massacre, the young woman, Amy Bellafonte, reaches her final stage as the virus matures. She, however, is not like the others. She has retained her humanity, with the benefits that the virus bestows. The other subjects ignore her, and continue outwards in search of more prey. The 12 multiply, become 100, 15000. It does not stop. They spread, ever outward, never killing all. And soon, it becomes apparent, these monsters have a semblance of unity, some force that keeps them together. Cities fall as armies of the creatures swarm. The only time there is respite are the few precious hours of sunlight, when the "virals" fall back into the shadows, either unwilling to show themselves, or unable to stand the sun.

The government starts to build compounds, equipped with powerful lights and weaponry, for the remaining citizens of the U.S. Refugees from the remaining cities of Philadelphia, Orlando, and Sacramento are taken to the compounds, as the last hope of the American people. In desperation, the government also uses the atom bomb on two of the viral "armies," as they've come to be called. One attack is successful: all of the viral for miles around fall to ashes, even if they weren't touched by the explosion. The other, however, kill only a few.

And that is that. The government's last stand. The compounds are safe, relatively. The virals are all over the continent, and no one outside is safe. 11 of the original subjects remain alive. Humanity is now an endangered species, at least on the North American continent. The unknown thirteenth subject, Amy Bellafonte, has disappeared. The only hope of the remaining survivors is to hold out, and figure out the secret of the virals' desctruction. The 11 must be destroyed.

That was rather a lot of info...but please, don't be scared off! This should be really fun once we get enough people.
Also, there are three compounds: one in California, one in New Mexico, and one in Wyoming. This story will start out in the New Mexico Compound, but we might add characters from the others, depending on how the story runs.
Onwards to characters...
You will play a survivor in one of the compounds, or perhaps a wanderer who is wily enough to escape the virals' notice. You could also play someone from another continent who has come to scope out the situation, but I'd like to have mainly North American survivors.

Here's the template:

Name:

Description:

Work: (Healer, Guard, Student, Agriculture)

Weapon: (Can be anything from gun to sword, or cross bow to grenade launcher, although, keep in mind that ammo is limited)

Strengths/Weaknesses:

Short Bio: (optional)

Other:

Now, the virals sound like zombies or vampires, and they are, to a certain extent. However, they are quite different, as well. They have special psychological powers, at least, the 11 do. More on that when we get into the story.

Rules:

Usual YWS rules (no god-modding, graphic sex, etc.)

This will be fairly violent, but please, don't let it get too graphic or gory.

No killing other people's character without explicit permission.

Romance allowed.

Have fun!

PM me if you have any pressing questions....
Last edited by RedBird on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

61 Reviews

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:18 pm
RedBird says...

Name: Nick Jonston

Description: http://0040.deviantart.com/art/Ginger-Boy-145073187

Work: Guard

Weapon: Cross bow

Strengths/Weaknesses: Nick is intelligent, agile, and hard-working, always ready to lay his life on the line to protect his friends in the Compound. He knows how to fight, and works well with others. However, he can be quick to anger and he is somewhat impulsive, leading him to do rash things.

Short Bio: Nick's parents were killed when he was 5, by some virals that breached the walls. Thus, when he was old enough, he decided to become a Guard, to ensure that this never happened again. He longs to find a way to destroy the virals once and for all, and knows that the answer is out there, hidden in the events of the past.

Other: Up for love.
Last edited by RedBird on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:21 am
Threnody says...

Name: Angie Talis

Description: She has dark brown shoulder length hair that's naturally highlighted red, gold and blonde. It's a really choppy self-styled haircut. She has strong pointed features and green/gold eyes. She's about 5'9'' with a dancer's build. She dresses all in black and always has a large utility belt around her waist.

Work: Guard

Weapon: She can make loads of improvised weapons from scratch, she considers this her specialty. She arms herself from head to toe with little molotov cocktails, unfinished pipe bombs, millwall bricks, smoke bombs, and other such things. She had a utility belt around her waist that carries all these in miniature (small shotglass cocktails...etc) , ready for use. If there's nothing on hand, she's great with any blade and pride's herself on iron pipe use.

Strengths/Weaknesses: She is aggressive, tough and independent. She's nice though, and cheerful. She's clever but not book smart as she's not really motivated towards that kind of stuff. She's dependable and competitive but she doesn't talk a lot and is not a leader. She's lithe and stealthy but kind freaks out if she's under too much pressure. She knows exactly what to do at exactly the right time, but sometimes messes it up due to mental mistakes. She has fabulous endurance skills. She knows how to pilot an airplane. She can make loads of improvised weapons from scratch, she considers this her specialty

Short Bio: She was 10 when the virus struck her area (Southern Colorado). Her mother got sick first and it all spiralled down from there. She managed to live hidden in a mountain cabin with a mysterious woman who taught her improvised weapons. When she disappeared she wandered a bit by herself and finally found the New Mexico compound. This has been her home ever since.

Other: Up for love.
Last edited by Threnody on Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

61 Reviews

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:44 pm
RedBird says...

A note...You could choose to play one of the original 11 virals.
~Snape, AVPM

61 Reviews

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:34 am
RedBird says...

I knew that putting all that info would deter people. Dang.
~Snape, AVPM

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:35 am
xX_white_shadow_Xx says...

Save me a spot! <3
Is he dancing with a little boy in spandex?!

~Papa Doorbell

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:49 pm
brittbritt12347 says...

Name: Mandi

Description:blonde hair,blue eyes,5'7,123lbs

Work: Student

Weapon:Gun and blade

Strengths/Weaknesses: strengths:

Short Bio: (optional)

Other:

Finish later..sorry!
The truth will come out baby, and you'll be the only one lost in the dark >:)

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:33 pm
Cspr says...

This sounds relatively cool.... With NaNoWriMo around the corner, however, expect me to be a little slow... I guess I'll see how it goes!

Name: Jax

Description: Tall, lanky. Chestnut-colored hair that doesn't like to lie flat, not completely--ever, green-blue, ringed in copper, eyes, fairly pale skin. Seems to be unusually clumsy.

Work: (Healer, Guard, Student, Agriculture) Unknown, an outsider as of now--a survivor.

Weapon: (Can be anything from gun to sword, or cross bow to grenade launcher, although, keep in mind that ammo is limited) Large kitchen knife that is kept on his belt by a key chain, of all things.

Strengths/Weaknesses: Strengths: he's lucky and he's loyal, with pretty strong beliefs. Weaknesses: about everything else. Not very strong for a guy, a klutz, talks too much, is scared to death about abnormal things like, well, blood, can't carry a conversation without trouble.

Short Bio: (optional) He doesn't like to talk about what happened during the Before. It's pretty obvious his family is dead, though.

Other: N/A

Name: Naomi

Description: Rather stout, even at 5'4", and curvy. She has long, dark brown hair, piercing hazel-brown eyes, and tanned skin. She has a heart-shaped face and she looks sweet.

Work: (Healer, Guard, Student, Agriculture) Unknown, as she's an outsider--but she's good with first-aid.

Weapon: (Can be anything from gun to sword, or cross bow to grenade launcher, although, keep in mind that ammo is limited) She carries a thin pipe along as a walking stick and has a small handgun that belonged to her Dad, she also has a pocket knife.

Strengths/Weaknesses: Strengths: she's strong, strong-willed and strong physically. She's also friendly and maternal to people younger than her, a protector. Weaknesses: she has a problem with killing child-like infected, she can't get around her psychological issues with the whole deal, and she's too kind and too much of a doormat for her own good sometimes. She also wants things she can't have anymore.

Short Bio: (optional) Her father became infected, she got away in his truck. Things went pretty wild from there. She picked up Jax at some point, which even she doesn't remember. She, at first, thought he was an infected, because he's so...well, dead-looking, scrawny, and pale.

Other: She plays guitar and the drums wicked, or so she says.
My SPD senses are tingling.

324 Reviews

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:02 am
Threnody says...

I read the book!! It's fabulous... :D

I'm totally willing to start if that works with you guys.

~ Forever Threnody
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

180 Reviews

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:47 am
Cspr says...

((*hums; bored* Gonna start sometime...or something?))

324 Reviews

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:40 am
Threnody says...

Angie Talis:

Four years ago, the only thing I cared about was getting the boy next to me to notice me. Four years ago, I was concerned about being the starting pitcher for my softball team, scratching by with a B- in Literacy, and somehow getting into that secondary school where all you did the entire day was interesting stuff like microbiology. (psh)

Three and 1/2 years ago, I locked myself in the basement with my Labrador to wait for my Father to come back home. He said he was coming back soon, but not to let anyone in unless they said the secret password "strawberry." A week went by and he still didn't show. I resurfaced to a world on fire. As I walked down the street with my dog Annie, I was scared of what I'd find anywhere I looked. For example the bloody carcasses in the street, and the the mess in the daycare centre. The street was sounding with a tornado alarm that somebody forgot to turn off. The government was trying to get things cleaned up, but people didn't even know if they were still there...

Three years ago I met Ms. Koronoskovitch. This crazy lady who lived in a high-rise flat, ate her cats and her goldfish when the Virals ravaged the town, and knew all the secrets to making weapons improvised and professional. I learnt that a pipe bomb can be as effective as a flame thrower if used correctly.

Two years ago she disappeared. I didn't go looking for her because I was afraid of what I'd find. I also learnt that you have to travel by day, and find shelter by night. Sleep was "optional". It was this year that my dog died. The only thing I concentrated on doing was heading south. South was warm and winter was about to explode in my face.

One year ago I was a walker. I hid in the shadow of the sun and slowly but surely made my way into New Mexico. I knew because I was welcomed there by a cheerful billboard. I found a government compound and they let me in... after shooting me in the thigh and collarbone, and wrapping me up in a net thing.

The people who lived in the compound when I came numbered about 250. Now there's about 175. Someone makes a stupid mistake and sends half a night guard falling over the side of the huge concrete wall that's protecting us. Someone jacks up and lets a viral into the compound. I work as a guard and it's extremely frustrating when some idiot sends one of your best friends to their death...

Regardless, the New Mexico compound is decent... there's only the toughest here and everyone knows what to do. I don't give a damn about the virals, I just give a damn about my life.
~ The Little Prince~

180 Reviews

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:48 pm
Cspr says...

Naomi:

We'd been walking for what felt like forever. I remember posters, put up by army men before they went back to wherever they'd come from had left. I wasn't sure where they found a printer in the apocalypse, but they'd managed. The posters had said there was safety in New Mexico, though. That's where we were headed.

Yeah, we.

Along the way, right before my Dad's old pick-up truck ran out of gas and I was forced to abandon one of the last things from my home, I'd found Jax. He was a rather odd guy. He still is a rather odd guy. But he'd kept up with me and given me someone to talk to. He was trotting along beside me now, dodging what he could and tripping over what seemed to be nothing--about every two seconds.

"You doing okay?" I ask him.

He nods. "Could use some water," he pants out.

I smile, even though I know he can't see my mouth through my bandanna. It was dry here, dust swirling.

I passed him the bottle of water, slightly bent and mishapped from being used as a water boiling device but okay. He pulled down his own bandanna and took a few quick sips.

"How much further do you think it is?" he asks me, eyes still holding that bit of innocence that had made me take him in in the first place.

"Not much father, maybe a quarter of a mile?" I suggest hopefully, before looking up the ridge. That would make things difficult...

"Maybe we should just find a place to rest for the night. I mean, we're in the middle of nowhere..."

I frown and shake my head curtly. "No. We HAVE to do this."

Turns out, quite luckily, I was right. Unfortunately, I had no idea what to do from then. I looked up at the giant adobe, barb wire, and other skyrocketing-high wall.

I can almost hear my eyes sizzle as I glance upwards towards the sun. Ouch.

I wince and turn to Jax, my spotty vision focusing on his face. "I guess we should knock?"

"I don't like this," is all he says in response, muttering.

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Funkymomo says...

Name: Gaia Fiore

Description: has pale green eys and is 5'10. Athletic fisique and perfect nails(her favorite feature) http://ui15.gamespot.com/2382/blakelively_2.jpg

Work: healer

Weapon: poison darts
Strengths/Weaknesses: Strengths: healing, making friends, fast, quiet. Weaknesses: heights, death, surprise attacks.

Short Bio: She's a healer in new mexico and has been here for a year. She lost her parents in when the virals attacked, and that made her want to become a healer.

Other:
Last edited by Funkymomo on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Light one candle instead of cursing the darkness.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:19 pm
Skull3670 says...

*I'll take one of the original 11 if thats ok*

Name: Mikael Eisenstein aka Subject 6

Description: 6ft3, the proteins on his skin have been scorched to a pure black. He could almost pass for human if it wasn't for his lack of hair,wing like growths and pure black exoskeleton.

Work: Leader of Pack 6

Weapon: Claws, Fangs, Unnatural speed and strength, other virals

Strengths/Weaknesses: The virus has made him physically powerful however there are patches of soft protein under his arms, between his "wings" and at the base of his skull where t meets the spine. Also the virus can send him into bouts of violent rage.

Short Bio: He volenteered for the project believing it to be a simple drugs trial. He hoped is sacrifice might gain him a promotion after the trial. He needed the extra money to support his soon to be wife and there unborn child. However this was not to be and they are confirmed deceased.

Other: He is obsessed with creating himself a family using other virals.
I have looked into the eye of the storm and stared it down. I am an adrenaline junky and i know no fear.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:44 pm
Skull3670 says...

Mikael aka Subject 6

I looked down from atop a minivan at the carnage around me. Some humans had been driving south for days, obviously heading for a safe compound. Finally after days of constant travel they had stopped to rest in their haphazard collection of vehicles. Then we descended, i had swooped down onto a car and dragged a screaming woman out through the sun roof, snapping her patheticly weak spine in the process. Then something red hor had hammered into my side. I looked around to see a man with a pistol. I grabbed his wrist, broke his elbow and finished his life with an elbow to the throat. By the time this was done the others had taken their fill, killing and feeding with gleeful joy.
I looked up from the van and could see the walls of the compound and what i believed to be a collection of people looking down at us.
It must be so upsetting, i thought. Seeing more survivors come so close only to be utterly destroyed by virals in a few moments.
I threw back my head and roared into the dark night sky. At my roar the virals finished their feasting and formed a lazy hemisphere around me. I crouched there feeling like there was fire inside my mind. I look up at the compound, my mind filled with thoughts of death, flames and destruction.
"Ki...kill them" i growled, unused to giving my commands verbally. Even if they all die, i thought as the gibbering howling group charged towards the city, the survivors here will make fine new soldiers.
With that i leapt of the van and soared to ward the compound, egging on my pack with roars and shouts.
I have looked into the eye of the storm and stared it down. I am an adrenaline junky and i know no fear.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
— Plato