Young Writers Society

The Shadow Assassin *started not accepting*

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:51 am
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Dre

Think, think, think, Andrea!

In a burst, I decided on it. "Sir, I don't mean to upset, but we don't tolerate abusive language in the shop." I say with as much force as I can muster. He looks taken aback, and I don't blame him. I rarely speak, to anyone, least of all customers. A few people stop and snicker, and he reddens.

"Vente black, one cream." he mutters tightly. I tie on my green apron and jump the counter, sending a pleading look at Marcela, the night shift girl.

"I'll get it," she whispers. "There's two cappucinoes, three fraps, and two raspberry green tea blends. Go, go, go."

I don't need to be told twice. Two sets of tea are already steeping in the blend by the time the fraps are shooting out and the cappucinoes are being creamed. Adding the details, I grab the platter and stride to the call-out platform.

"I got a caramel cap, a java cap, two mocha fraps and a vanilla, and two raspberry green tea blends!" I shout over the din. The cups are taken up in seconds. I nod and toss the platter to Marcela, who's loading up her batch. It's easy, now, for me to slip the girl who piggy-backed me behind the counter. She points out his name, and in a matter of seconds, I have five sheets of his background warm in my arms. Marcela nods to me as I go.

"Dre, be careful," she mutters, gesturing to the picture of Vente Black, One Cream. I nod and promise it softly.

"Atta girl, Speedy. Now hurry- manager's coming in ten." I grab a cream blended frap for me (chocolate, caramel sauce, extra shot of milk) and a leftover green tea for the other girl. I guide her up the fire escape out the side, and hand her the green tea as we sit down on the tile of my floor. It's not a lot, but it's got what I like, what I need.

And now I wait.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:54 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Jerasila:

I stared at them. The boy's hand was still on my check, but I ignored it. I had more important things to worry about than a boy. I shrugged, and turned away, gazing into the shadows. He was lying, but I wouldn't call him out on it.

"So," I said quietly. "We all have the same tattoo." Smiling, I turned back to the boy. "Would you like to join me?" I asked,ignoring the girl for a moment. I doubted that these two were friends; I'd seen them fighting before.

"Join you in what?" he asked, finally dropping his hand.

I let my smile twist itself into a sneer. "Oh, nothing too big," I said offhandedly, dropping my sneer. "Just a little plan I wanted to put into motion."

The boy, Revan, frowned. "What kind of plan?"

I just smiled charmingly. "Oh, join me and maybe I'll tell you."

That left him confused. I glanced towards the girl; her eyes told me that she didn't trust me. The boy probably didn't trust me either, but both would be useful if they joined me. That's if they weren't too stupid to refuse, because if they refused, I was probably going to kill them.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:07 pm
SisterItaly says...

Something didn't feel right about her. One second she's shy and timid. The next she is trying to get us to 'join' her for something we didn't know. I wasn't signing up for anything. I didn't need anyone, and I had convinced myself after I made it up to Revan, I would leave him be. I mean, the man did saved me from my inner monster. I had to make it up to him somehow.
"I'm not joining anyone. I have all I need, my mask." I said running my fingers along the edges and making sure it was on securely. With my mask on Rosalie was gone, and the stronger, more powerful Black Rose stepped out. I took a step away from her, and Revan turned to me. I was hoping he would disagree to. Why did I want him to disagree? It was obvious he hated me. Though there was a part of me that wished he didn't.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

Random avatar

Reviews: 41
Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:20 pm
GrantBlayfur says...

Revan

There was something about this chick that bugged me. But she seemed to have believe my little lie, which was good. At least if someone asked her about us they would be just as clueless as she.

"Sorry, but we're not interested...now, if you'll excuse us, we should probably head home." I grabbed Black Rose's arm and stated leading her away.

"Tell me, where IS your home?" Jerasila called after us. Jeez, she was more annoying than Black Rose!

"It's...uhm..." More likely than not she would follow us a little longer, and if we never went 'home'...dangit, I had talked us into a corner. I turned to Black Rose. "What should we do?" I whispered.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:51 pm
Sassafras says...

Yera-

My boots pounded against the sidewalk as I hurriedly ran down the near empty sidewalk. My eyes were closed tight as I focused on running, running, running... I didn't mean to let him out. That guy - those guys - were just so horrid. As if it wasn't trouble enough having a "freak birth mark" on my arm, now I was being pestered for being a "rich bastard". Can I not just go down to the village and get an orange in peace? Why must everything be so difficult? Why must everything be so hard? Though my eyes were shut pretty tight, I could still hear some commotion down the street. Probably some couple fussing. Not my concern. Not my problem. The noise was getting closer; some guy crying out. Maybe they would just move out of my way. No one would be stupid to just-

"Ow! Watch where you're going!" I crashed into the body of the man I suppose was yelling and reeled back a bit. Opening my eyes, I rubbed them momentarily before standing upright. I started to bow before I caught myself.

"I'm sorry," I said evenly. After brushing the hair out of my face, I looked at the people I ran into. The usual arguing couple, just as I'd expected. I bowed quickly before finishing my run. The park was only a few minutes away, if I could just avoid trouble until then, everything should be fine. Everything should be okay...

((EDIT))
Last edited by Sassafras on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

66 Reviews

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:18 am
SisterItaly says...

Reise, your dragon has a name already, and Revan and BlackRose are somwhere COMPLETELY different right now...

Black Rose

I looked up to Revan and pulled my arm away, pulling my cloak around me tightly. He didn't need to see what was underneath. Besides, it was cold out.
"Where I live is none of your concern." I said, trying to get US out of the hole REVAN dug. She smirked and looked at me.
"I'm afraid, I have to kill you." She chuckled, I looked at her uneasily. Was she serious?
"What now?" Whispered Revan. I just looked up to him, she honestly thought she was going to kill us? No. That wasn't going to happen. I suddenly began to feel weaker, was this some how her doing? I summoned my vines and began to spin wildly ou of control.

*It's short, I'll leave the fight scene to scar since I suck at them.*
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

The Book.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:17 pm
eldEr says...

Elodie

I took a long sip from my tea, scanning quickly through the first few pages. There wasn't much here that I didn't know already. A lot of records of what he bought at the shop, how much he paid, how much money he owed them. Nothing really useful.

The last page particularly interested me. A resume'. I scanned it quickly, frowning at one of the paragraphs. He. Was. Going. To. Die. The bloody man had written out that his wife had tried to kill him and the baby three days after the baby was born. He was desperately searching for a job.

Believe it or not, I hadn't tried to kill him, and I most certainly hadn't tried to kill my daughter. He flipped the story around quite a bit.

"Is...is something wrong?" Jitters asked suddenly.

I shoved the paper into my pocket and took another sip of tea. Calm. Relaxed. Put together. I shook my head no, a flat-out lie.

This man, did he ever come into the shop with a baby? I asked with purple writing on the tile. I quickly added, She's my niece.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:41 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Dre

I thought briefly. I had a good memory- you needed one in the shop- and I wanted to put it to use.

"Oh! Yes! A little girl, I think. Said she was seeing... her aunt? Grandmother? Some relative, in Pursana, I think."

I have to go pick her up.

I shook my head. "They won't anyone go through. Not now. It's almost midnight- the border's going to be guarded."

Against what?

I shrugged. I was still going off a running-high, so the need to correct and discipline myself hadn't returned. I almost wished it would. "Sicklings. Druggies. Psychos. Who can say?" Hoping I hadn't offended with that last slip of the tongue (oh, here comes regular Dre), I scooped up our empty cups and chucked them in the bin.

But I have to!

I paused and bit on my lip, stalking to the still open window. I let my hand drift aimlessly, stirring the drapes and twirling the strands of blond that slipped out of my ponytail.

"I could get us across." I said quietly.

Wonderful! Wait... us?

"It'll only work if I go too. I know how... how tech works." I choked on my words. What I was doing was illegal, and wrong. But, like she said, she had to go.

And?

"And I can shut down the guard. But only for sixty seconds. And I'm the only person fast enough to get across the entire border in a minute, counting the buildings." I nodded to myself. It'd work.

I didn't wait. I threw my most prized things in a bag that hung on my hip, launched forward, and tossed the girl onto my back, locking my arms around her back as I jumped from the landing, my door and window locked. We landed very... solidly, and I had trouble getting back into my rhythm. But by the time we were half a mile from the border, I was running faster than I thought I could with a girl on my back, and headed straight to the wall. I dipped my head down and up, shooting us up the wall. I unlocked from the girl and rolled to the side, then tumbled to the power box on the watchtower.

I jammed it open and pressed three buttons at once, then slammed a lever and yanked a cord. The ominous whir and, essentially, the life, went out of the guard wall.

The girl was back on my back in a split second. We were on the other side.

I was running like the entire Hurrinian guard was after me.

Because they might've been.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:17 am
KAH says...

I was still sitting on the rock, listening to the waves, like a lullaby luring me to sleep, but I knew I couldn’t. I made some water spray up and hit me in the face, You can’t fall asleep, not tonight, I thought to myself. I laid back on the rock, whipping my face off with my arms, and watched the waves crash melodically into the shore. I made columns of water shoot up, I willed myself to make them go higher, and higher. I could feel the tug of the water in my gut, and I pushed on harder making the columns grow taller then my head. That’s when I heard the footsteps behind me.
I released the water letting it drop suddenly back to the sea with a sigh. Slowly I turned around to see a very muscular dude staring at me. I turned my head back to the ocean, ignoring the fact that a very strong and intimidating guy was standing behind me. I was to scared of what he saw, to actually be scared of him. I looked down at my arm, the one with the tattoo, and cursed myself for not wearing a jacket. Instead I was wearing a tank top, so all I could do was cross my arm around my stomach in a very awkward and unnatural position.

“Hey, what are you doing out this late at night?” He said, finally breaking the silence.

“I could ask you the same thing,”

“True,”

“So what do you want?” I was sick of this guy, who seemed to be about my age, asking me questions. I didn’t know him so I wasn’t about to tell him my life story.

“Oh, nothing. My names Dallas.” He said as he held out his hand for me to shake.

“Brooke.” I said shaking back, using my right hand without realizing it. Oh shit he saw my tattoo! I quickly tried to pull my arm away from his, but he had already seen it and tightened his grip. Then he did something really odd.
He held out his arm in front of me, and I saw that the same dragon tattoo was embedded in his skin.
Dreams don't always have to exist while the sun's down and your eyes are shut.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:29 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Jerasila:

The two were wary now. I sighed, and held out my right hand, twisting it to drain the energy out of them; I watched in satisifaction as Black Rose summoned her vines and they went out of control. I quickly did the same to Revan, smirking the whole time.

"Now," I said calmly, stepping forwards. "You'll do as I say, got it?"

"Or what?" Revan snapped.

"Or I will kill you," I snarled and dropped my hands, releasing my hold on them. Is that clear? I thought at them, eyes narrowed.

Revan was glaring at me, and from what I saw in Black Rose's eyes,, I was willing to bet she was not liking me either. I shrugged and stepped back, making the shadows behind me thicker.

"Well," I asked quietly. "Are you coming?" I smirked and turned away, stepping into the shadows behind me. "I've decided I won't kill you. You're far more useful alive." Silently, I added, Now come. Or I will have to hurt you.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

Random avatar

Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:36 am
GrantBlayfur says...

Revan

I glanced over at Black Rose. I couldn't tell what she was thinking because, well, I couldn't see her face, but from the way she was glaring at Jerasila I could tell she wasn't about to follow her. I pulled up my sleeve quietly and quickly and showed Black Rose my dragon tattoo, pointing at Jerasila with my other hand. She understood me and got into a fighting stance.

I looked at Jerasila. She was still standing with her back to us. Didn't she know you never turn your back on your enemy? Fool!

"Actually, dear," I said, raising my hand in front of me. "I think we'd rather just get rid of you." With those last words, I swiped my hand down, creating a sinkhole under her feet.

She jumped to the side, avoiding the subsequent sinkholes I made. Black Rose joined in, shooting out vines at all angles at Jerasila. But the woman was skilled; nothing we threw at her was doing anything other than tiring us out.

Black Rose sent out another vine, low this time, and it hit Jerasila behind the knees mid-jump. She cried out and tumbled to the ground in a heap. I took the opportunity to create two small sinkholes by her hands, which swallowed her hands so she wouldn't sap our energy, or life, or whatever that trick did to us. Didn't matter, she was trapped...for now.

66 Reviews

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:56 pm
SisterItaly says...

Black Rose

I was feeling dizzy. Keeping myself from spinning wildly out of control often did that to me. I unknowingly leaned against Revan, my vision blurring. I could make out the girl struggling. But besides that everything else was fuzzy. I couldn't even make out what she was ranting, or what Revan was asking. Was he talking to me? No Rosalie, focus. Don't go out of control. I felt an arm wrap around me, and looked up to Revan. My vision defogged and I shook my head to escape my daze.
"Black Rose? Are you Ok?" He asked sounding annoyed that I wasn't replying. The girl was struggling to get her hands free, and ranting at us. I looked back up to Revan.
"I'm fine, let's get out of her before she escapes."

The Book.

Random avatar

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:02 pm
GrantBlayfur says...

Revan

I wasn't one to just leave someone stuck like Jerasila, but she tried to kill us so...I made an exception. "Yeah, let's get going."

We turned tail and ran back down the street as fast as we could. Only when we were at least a dozen blocks away from Jerasila did we stop to catch our breath. Black Rose looked a little winded, so I pointed out a nice corner shop that looked friendly enough. I made sure that both of our tattoo's were covered before we walked in.

When we walked inside I noticied most everyone was sitting down, except for two blondes near the side of the shop in a dark corner. I nudged Black Rose. "Anything seem...off to you about them?"

(Sorry it's so short and bad, but I have nothing better :P )

66 Reviews

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:19 pm
SisterItaly says...

Black Rose - Rosalie

I looked over to the girls, then back to Revan and nodded.
"Ya, a little." I gazed over at an empty table, near them, but not to close. "Let's sit there." I muttered, pulling him that way. We were sitting there whether he wanted to or not. We sat down, him on one side of the table, and me on the other. My back was to the blonds, and they were just out of earshot. Darn. We sat silently, every now and then he would gaze up to the other girls. I sighed and leaned back I'm my chair, I wanted to get out of here.
"Revan." I said, breaking the silence. "What can I do to make it up to you?" I asked, gazing up to him, then back down at the table.

He sat up and looked to me.
"What?" He asked, sounding confused, I turned away.
"You saved me from doing something horrible, and that I'd regret. I want to make it up to you. That's the only reason I'm still here." I admitted, my stomach twisting horribly. I looked up to him, he smiled slyly.
"Why don't you take off that mask?" He said, leaning on the table, nonchalantly. I swallowed hard, fighting off tears. I slowly lifted my shaking hands up, reaching for my mask. Then put them back down.
"I-I can't. I can't do it." I mumbled.

I slowly looked up to him, why couldn't he think of something that didn't make me feel horrible?
"Here, how about I help you?" Before I could reject his offer, his hands were on the sides of my mask. I gasped, pulling away, but in retrospect that may have not been such a good idea, because when I pulled away, he pulled of my mask. The cool air felt amazing on my face, I never realised how hot it got inside the mask. I kept my face turned away from Revan, This was the face of a monster.

The Book.

Random avatar

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:38 pm
GrantBlayfur says...

Revan

I held the mask reverently in my hands as I gazed at Black Rose. Wow, she was a beauty. But she also looked upset.

"Something wrong?"

She sniffled. "It's just...I'm a monster...and I don't take my mask off for anybody...otherwise I get called a freak."

I looked at the mask, then back at her. "Well, they must just be jealous of how pretty you really are."

"I hate being lied to almost as much as I hate being called a freak." Her eyes seemed to grow incredibly dark as she glared at me.

"But I'm not lying! You really are quite...um...beautiful." I blushed slightly (dumb hormones). At that she blushed too and turned her face away.

"Stop...stop lying to me!" She sounded mad but I saw the glimpse of a smile dance on her lips. And anyways, I wasn't lying. I really did think she looked pretty.

Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.
— Henry David Thoreau