Young Writers Society

The Candlestone

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:44 pm
ultraviolet says...

The Candlestone DT

The hook:

You are a Normal human living amongst Normal humans whilst doing Normal human things in a Normal human way. Then, one day, you are suddenly not a Normal human.

The Candlestone:

The Candlestone is known for it’s ability to draw out the Not Normal in Otherwise Normal human beings. This specific Not Normal are traits, traits that can only appear in Not Normal, But Otherwise Normal humans.

These are dragon traits.

The plot:

Back in the days of King Arthur, dragons were normal beings, and it was normal to see them flying in the Not Normal, But Otherwise Normal sky. However, it was also normal to see Normal dragons pillage Normal villages and burn them to the ground. Only about half of the Normal dragons did this, but all of the Normal dragons took the blame.

To solve this problem, Normal knights were trained to slay Normal dragons. Whereas the Normal number of Normal dragons was around two hundred, it dwindled remarkably until there were only fifteen Normal dragons left. Half of these were Evil Normal dragons, and half were Good Normal dragons.

The Good Normal dragons knew that they were not at fault, but unless they took a Not Normal course of action, they would face Not Normal extinction. These Good Normal dragons flew out into the Not Normal, But Otherwise Normal sky and came down by a Not Normal, But Otherwise Normal cave.

It was in that cave that they met the Not Normal dragons.

Normal dragons can:

->talk
->fly
->breathe fire
->heal (some can, anyway)
->sense danger
->live forever, unless killed in some Not Normal way

Not Normal dragons can:

->do everything a Normal dragon can, and…
->see in the dark
->shape shift certain things
->and so much more

Back to the plot:

Seven Good Normal dragons entered the Not Normal, But Otherwise Normal cave. Seven Not Normal, But Otherwise Normal humans walked out.

Not Normal, But Otherwise Normal humans can:

->live forever, unless killed in a Not Normal way
->not marry and have children with each other
->marry and have children with mortals

Back to the plot, again:

The Not Normal dragons transformed the Good Normal dragons into Not Normal, But Otherwise Normal humans. The Not Normal dragons trapped the Good Normal dragon’s dragon essence in the Candlestone.

The only payment the Not Normal dragons asked is that when the time comes--and the Not Normal, But Otherwise Normal humans will know when the time comes because something Not Normal will happen--they find the To-Be-Lost Candlestone and return it to the To-Be-Hiding Not Normal dragons at whichever Not Normal, But Otherwise Normal place they will be hiding at.

For centuries and centuries the Not Normal, But Otherwise Normal humans blend into the world. The year is now 2048. The time has come; the Not Normal, But Otherwise Normal humans know because the Candlestone released their dragon essence, and they have transformed back into Good Normal dragons, not at all to their surprise.

What they weren’t expecting, however, was that their Normal human children were passed on their dragon essence, and in turn, given dragon traits when the Candlestone released it.

Half Good Normal dragon, half Normal human children can:

->always sense danger
->always possess one or two of the following traits:
->breathe fire
->have dragon wings and fly
->have super intelligence
->heal

Back to the plot, again, again:

Normal Knights Turned Dragon Slayers have passed on their knowledge of dragons and how to hunt them generation after generation. They know that the dragons are still alive in some form, hiding out, and that they will one day return. When they do, the Normal Knights Turned Dragon Slayers vow that they will be ready to wipe them, and their children, out completely.

The Good Normal dragons and their children must now somehow find the Ex-To-Be-Lost Candlestone and return it to the Ex-To-Be-Hiding Not Normal dragons, both to pay their debt and in the hope that the Not Normal dragons will help them once again escape from the Normal Knights Turned Dragon Slayers.

The Good Normal dragons and their children have grouped together in their efforts. Some of the Good Normal dragons have already died, some never had children, and some had children that are now orphaned on their dragon side. They all have to work together if they are to succeed in their quest.

What things look like:

Dragons:

Spoiler! :

Dragon wings (when on half-breeds): Except a little darker, and the texture of leather.

Spoiler! :

The Candlestone:

Spoiler! :

The rules:

->No god-modding of any kind.
->No excessive swearing.
->No sex scenes.
->No overly-detailed, gore-filled violence (violence in and of itself is encouraged).
->Each post must be at least a decent sized paragraph, and that’s at the bare minimum.
->Do not make things too easy on your character; they just found out they’re part dragon, they get a dragon trait they ->have no idea how to control, they have to leave their homes in search of a rock and some dragons, and all the while blood-lusting slayers are after them. Do not let them get out of situations too easily.
->You do not have to have “normal” inserted every other word, nor capitalize things that describe dragons, humans, caves, skies, or anything like that. It was merely a gimmick to keep you reading my tediously long plot summary.

The character profile:

You will be playing as a half Good Normal dragon and half Normal human. At this time I will not be allowing anyone to play a slayer, a dragon, or anyone/thing else.

Spoiler! :
Name:
Appearance/Picture:
Dragon Trait(s):
History/Dragon Relations:
Personality:
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Up For Love?:
Other:

Dragons:

1. Hartanna - Jianna's mother
2. Cyri's dad = Maikaidos - has kept in contact with Cyri through non-face-to-face methods
3. Blake's mom - has never been in the picture, and Blake doesn't know where she is
4. Jazliac's parent - died when Jazz was a toddler
5. Cole's father - deceased
6. Dead, or to be claimed
7. Dead, or to be claimed

Half-Dragons:

1. Jianna Kris - ultraviolet
2. Cyri Dove - ninjacookiemonster
3. Blake Savage - Calligraphy
4. Jazliac - fictionfanatic
5. Cole Hayes - Calligraphy
Last edited by ultraviolet on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

262 Reviews

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:54 pm
ultraviolet says...

Name: Jianna Kris (pronounced GEE-ah-nuh)

Appearance/Picture:

Spoiler! :

Dragon Trait(s): Dragon Wings

History/Dragon Relations: Jianna's mother is the one who is the dragon. Her dragon name is Hartanna, though when human she goes by Irene. When they both got their dragon traits, they set off to find other dragons, lest they face extinction. Her father left when she was three.

Personality: She grew up in a loving home, with constant encouragement. She often has an air of tranquility surrounding herself, and can find joy and hope in almost any situation.

Dislikes: Gossip, dragon slayers, geometry

Strengths: Writing, keeping calm, running
'
Weaknesses: Can get stubborn, flying is still at amateurish level, can get really quiet and withdrawn when remembering her mother

Up For Love?: Sure

Other: Keeps her wings hidden in a backpack.
Last edited by ultraviolet on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:06 pm
Calligraphy says...

You said normal a lot.... Ummm I call a spot... but I don't really get the storyline because I didn't get the whole normal not normal thing. :(

A. S.

262 Reviews

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:10 pm
ultraviolet says...

The Normal, Not Normal thing was just adding style to the writing. The only part where that makes a difference is the Normal or Not Normal dragons.

Basically, the half-dragons and the transformed-back-to-dragons dragons are being hunted by dragon slayers and they must find the Candlestone, though they don't know where it is, and bring it to the not-normal dragons, though they don't know where they are. All the while, trying not to be killed by the slayers.

~asofterworld.com

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:41 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

(By the way, I loved your plot.)

Name: Cyri Dove (seer-ee)

Appearance/Picture: Bright scarlet, wavy-curly hair, silvery greenish blue eyes, and a tanned complexion. Not especially tall or short, but slim.

Spoiler! :

Dragon Trait(s): Breathes fire and is super-intelligent.

History/Dragon Relations: Her dad's the dragon part of her, her mother long dead. The slayers came last year and wounded her dad badly- that's when she started breathing fire. Her father fought them off and told her to run. She hasn't seen him since, but she's talked to him frequently. She's always been super-smart, though, and is known for inventing, hacking, all that jazz. It's just the Cyri style. She's been hiding out in an abandoned loft, experimenting and mourning, ever since.

Personality: Perky and playful, if a bit snarky and disrespectful, and resilient. She spends all day thinking and solving and researching, inventing and designing and building. She can't bear to stand still and is severely connected to science, math, and technology.

Likes: Math, science, her newfound firebreathing, soda, technology, windy days, overcast days, the cold, nighttime, rain.

Dislikes: History, athletics (even if she's good at it), not being able to do something, failure, imperfection, bright sunlight (eek!), heat, humidity, sweating, being wrong.

Strengths: Very, very, very smart, breathes blue and white fire (hottest kind), doesn't have emotional ties to most stuff, fast runner, strong, good cook, good fighter, high metabolism, stealthy, good with blades.

Weaknesses: Snarky, hyperactive, gets bored easily, gets distracted easily, risk taker, terrified of sharks, not trusting, a bit foolhardy, will eat you out of house and home (and doesn't gain an ounce), lives off energy drinks, insomniac.

Up For Love?: Yep... if you can stand her.

Other: Usually has her hair in a ponytail, braided; pulled away from her face in some way..

Her jacket, never seen without it:

Spoiler! :
Last edited by NinjaCookieMonster on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

262 Reviews

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:59 pm
ultraviolet says...

Note: A lot of this is a rip-off of the Dragons in our Midst and Oracles of Fire series' by Bryan Davis. Looking into them could help you get a better understanding of the dragon traits and slayers and all that jazz, though I'm sure you'd be okay without it. (Other not: not everything is a complete rip off, so be sure to take the plot line I wrote as a final say.)

~asofterworld.com

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:14 pm
pudin.junidf says...

Save a spot for a girl and a boy.
Will have character profiles later.
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'autonne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Verlaine

Random avatar

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:59 pm
Calligraphy says...

Name: Blake Savage
Appearance/Picture:
karen_gillan_01.jpg
karen_gillan_01.jpg (28.39 KiB) Viewed 398 times

Dragon Trait(s): Always sense danger, heal
History/Dragon Relations:She grew up in a small town, where she stayed out of everyone's way and everyone stayed out of her way. She was almost the bully, though she never did anything mean, people just stayed away from her. she lived with her dad way back in the woods. Her mother was never in the picture. She was the dragon. But, one day people came to her house and shot her dad. She was really freaked out so she stayed in the woods for weeks. Finally she found a letter that said she was a dragon and that she was in danger. (it was from her mother.) She has been looking for other half dragons for almost a whole year when she found them.
Personality: She is quiet, prideful, hot tempered, opinionated, non-loyal (but if by change she really likes you she is REALLY loyal.), non-trusting, she easily lies, antisocial, tom-boy, and she only cares about herself. But, when she heals someone it all changes she just turns into this loving caring person that no one expects.
Likes: Being just out of a group, knowing secrets, big dogs, motorcycles, swimming, and four-wheeling.
Dislikes: Horses, being forced to do something, sitting still, crowds, and being helpless.
Strengths: She doesn't really have a lot of skills, but she is tough. She can use a gun and usually can get herself out of a fight. She is pretty strong. She is good at surviving in the wild.
Weaknesses: You can see them in her personality and stuff. Plus she is still getting over the death of her father. At the moment she is half starved.
Up For Love?: sure
Other: Is kind of Bitter.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:36 pm
fictionfanatic says...

I'm going to join! I can't post a profile this minute but a definitely am. Can you please reserve me a spot?
Live, Love, Laugh

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:19 am
Dragonet says...

I think I'll join, violet, but I'm on vacation at the moment so I'll have to post my profile later.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

Do you have any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?

Random avatar

Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:27 am
Calligraphy says...

I also claim a guy :D

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:06 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Name: Jazliac (Jazz-lee-ack), but he goes mostly goes by Jazz

Appearance/Picture:
Spoiler! :
This but his hair goes down to his shoulders in waves and always is in his eyes, which are icy blue.Image

Dragon Trait(s): Breath fire, and heal

History/Dragon Relations: Jazz isn't sure where he gets being a dragon from, because both of his parents died when he was a toddler. He was raised by a family friend who refuses to tell him anything about it.

Personality: Jazz is fun to be around, but he's pretty shy around girls. He usually won't say much to a girl until he really knows her. Jazz loves all kinds of music. He loves to both listen to it and play it. He's also been into juggling lately. Jazz is a sweet guy, and even if he doesn't know you all that well (whether you're a girl or a guy) he'll always do his best to be kind.

Likes: Music, having fun, his past being a mystery, juggling, fire, his friends, and he likes the fact that he can both breath fire and heal because he is always playing with his fire to he tends to burn himself.

Dislikes: Having to say a lot to a girl he doesn't know, when people are pushy or bossy, and not knowing anything about his past and where he comes from.

Strengths: Healing (of course), he's strong, he's a fast runner, he never gets cold :)

Weaknesses: Being around girls he doesn't know, having to sit still (he can't do it for more than a few minutes), and not having anything to do with his hands (he always needs to have his hands busy for some reason. If he doesn't, then he gets restless and ends up unintentionally burning things and/or people. He desn't know why)

Up For Love?: Sure, if you can handle him barely saying a word to you in the beginning.

Other: He has a bunch of burn marks on his arms and hands.
Live, Love, Laugh

Random avatar

Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:38 am
Calligraphy says...

Name: Cole Hayes
Appearance/Picture:
hootpubm.jpg
hootpubm.jpg (25.5 KiB) Viewed 352 times

Dragon Trait(s): Breaths fire, Dragon wings.
History/Dragon Relations: Cody lived Florida with his mom and dad, but they worked on a crab boat so he didn't see much of them. His father (the dragon person thingy) was killed in mysterious circumstances. His mother became more and more sick because she didn't have the will to live. So her just left one day. Hitchhicked his way way up north to Minnesota and met Blake one day in the woods. They are looking for the other dragon people together. (or should they have found them?)
Personality: Doesn't like when someone is sad, fun loving, laughs easily, doesn't let himself get hurt, and tries to make people feel better.
Likes: Anything active from sports to working. Animals. Being in a group, laughing, and talking. Seeing new things.
Dislikes: Not being free, cramped spaces, angry people, sad people and times. Silence.
Strengths: He is good with animals, a really fast runner (and has good endurance), and swimming.
Weaknesses: He doesn't know how to fight, he is bad at keeping secrets, doesn't do good under pressure.
Up For Love?: Sure.
Other:

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:22 am
Chupatoasta says...

I call a girl and guy
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

262 Reviews

Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:35 am
ultraviolet says...

One Dragonet and Chupatoasta post their profiles, we can probably start. Seeing as nobody really knows how many dragon children their are, more people can join, even halfway in the SB, and it should go easily.

~asofterworld.com

I was promis'd on a time, To have a reason for my rhyme: From that time unto this season, I receiv'd nor rhyme nor reason.
— Edmund Spenser