z

Young Writers Society

The Candlestone

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:51 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Jazz:

The woman/dragon Hartanna said to me "I thought we'd look for your parent's first, seeing as we don't know where the other dragons migrated to. Do you have any memories of your parents, any at all, or have anyone that we could ask about it?" I blushed a little bit and ran my hand through my long bangs. Talking to females never was really my strongest quality.

In a quiet tone I said "Uh, they both died a long time ago. I was raised by a family friend. Her name is Julie Henson. But she may not be much help, because I've asked her about it a million times and each time she said nothing." I cupped my hands around my mouth and blew fire onto them. I began playing with the fire as I continued in a still hushed tone "As for memories, I remember my mother had dark brown hair and shiny blue eyes, much like mine. My dad had black hair and green eyes. He was really tall."

I blew more fire into my hands and said quickly "I remember we lived in an apartment on the third floor. The building was made of red bricks." I stared into the fire I held until it burned my hands. After putting it out I clasped them together so they would heal. That's when I remembered "My dad was a doctor. And he was really good at it, too."
Live, Love, Laugh

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:59 pm
Calligraphy says...

Blake Savage

I felt like crap. The misquotes were coming out and Cole was standing next to me his huge wings spread out to the full. He had spent the whole day walking with me at my sluggish pace. Of course he could travel much faster in the air, but noo he had to stay with me and listen to my thudding steps. Why he had to stay with me I had no idea, but I was hating it. Not only because of the traveling part. I needed his help. I was used to being the one everyone looked to. If I was going to light a fire he would just breath on the sticks, if I was going try to find out where we were he would just fly up and look around, he even seemed smarter than me stopping me before I did something that would make us easy to find.

Yet again to get across the St. Croix river I was going to take the bridge and he was going to fly. I watched foam circle around in the current suppressing and exasperated sigh. Cole was at the very edge of the cliff. His eyes were closed and the wind tore through his hair. I wanted to just push him off, but he would just fly away, so started to walk, the bright lights of the cars on the bridge in front of me. We were in a state park, but it was closed.

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:12 pm
ultraviolet says...

Jianna Kris

"A doctor?" I asked. "Perfect. That is perfect, right?" I looked to Mothe--Hartanna.

"Yes," Hartanna agreed. "All we have to do is go to the town you lived at, and look up murders from that time period and once we find one of a doctor, or a doctor's wife, we know we've found him or her.

"Also," Hartanna added. "It wouldn't hurt to ask your family friend about them. I think that considering the circumstances, they would be a little more lenient to telling us." Mother let out a puff of smoke. "I just wish I knew who your parent was. Clefsphere or Maikaidos might have chosen to be a doctor."

"What were all of the dragon's names," I asked, a little intrigued about the odd pronunciations.

"Well," Hartanna said. "There was me, Thigocia, Firedda, and Yellina--we were the females. And then there was Clefsphere, Maikaidos, and Valcor. They were the males."

Mothe--Hartanna seemed to think wistfully about something for a moment, then looked back at Jazz. "Tell me, young man, where exactly was it that you lived?"

>For the record, I'm taking the dragon names straight out of the books. Oh, and if you know what gender your parent is, I'd suggest claiming a name so that we don't get confused. Fiction, we'll just have your parent and the two unclaimed dragons nameless, with the option of the rest of the names when they are claimed. Name your parent dragon in the DT<
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

84 Reviews

Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:17 am
fictionfanatic says...

Jazz:

"Tell me, young man," The dragon woman said "Where exactly was it that you lived?" Yay, I get to talk more. My eyes shifted from Hartanna to Jianna, and when I saw her looking at me I once again blushed. Closing my eyes I took a deep breath. When the smell off smoke filled my head I opened my eyes and took out three solid items that I could easily juggle.

As I began juggling I thought. "So it was definitely in an apartment on the third floor." I continued juggling and looked around the cave "Red brick building." Closing my eyes I started humming a song. After a minute I said "The state started with an M, but I'm not sure which one." My head pounded from trying to force myself to remember. Opening my eyes I said in a quiet voice "I'm sorry, I can't remember anything else right now."

With that I stopped juggling and placed my hands on my head to try and get rid of the headache.
Live, Love, Laugh

262 Reviews

Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:17 am
ultraviolet says...

Jianna Kris

"That's okay," Hartanna said. "It's late. Let's rest. Maybe you'll remember more in the morning."

Rest, that's something I could definitely go for.

Me and Jazz took blankets out of our bags and wrapped ourselves in people-sized cocoons. Despite how absolutely exhausted I was, I couldn't fall asleep. Instead, I just lay there, listening to a steady drip, drip, drip coming from a corner of the cave.

I thought about what Mo--Hartanna had said. If we find the Varlor stones, this will stop. It's only been a few weeks, but it's not been fun. We've almost died more times than a parachute tester, if there was such a thing. Even if there wasn't, if there was we would have.

After only thirty seconds Hartanna's deep snores filled the cavern. Of course she was the first to go to sleep; she probably thrived--if you can thrive while sleeping--in this environment. She probably slept in caves every night when she was a dragon before the transformation.

Noiseless tears streamed down my face. My mother's a dragon. I have to call her Hartanna. Really, I don't have a mother. She's gone, forever. Even if we live through the slayers, life will never be normal again, will it? We'll probably have to go into hiding. From what Mother--at this point I've given up calling her Hartanna--said, the only reason they even helped them before was because they would need the Candlestone for some mysterious thing in the future, but they couldn't keep it and they couldn't work the Varlor stone pieces.

I stifled a little sob and turned onto my side and begged for sleep to take over me.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

Random avatar

Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:21 am
Calligraphy says...

I really don't know how to go forward... Maybe I shouldn't.. I haven't read the books. :/

A. S.

262 Reviews

Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:24 am
ultraviolet says...

That's your own fault, Cal. I did borrow them to you. Anyways, you don't need to have. All you have to do is try and look for other dragon peoples. Heck, go into our cave and find us. It's simple. Just remember--slayer's are chasing you. They could be anywhere. Other than that, you can do pretty much anything, within limits.

~asofterworld.com

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:46 am
NinjaCookieMonster says...

I WILL revive this.

Cyri

I shivered. My ratty old loft didn't get a heater, so at night, I was as good as ice. I cupped my hands and blew a jet of pale blue fire into them, making them hot to the point where I could rub heat anywhere on my skin. The phone, paint chipped and wire frayed, blared suddenly, making me jump and knock my chair over. I grabbed it up, and as the material conducted my still present heat, I gave a series of "Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!" 's and "AH! AH! AH!" 's, to the disappointment of my father.

"Cyri! I told you not to try out your fire breathing without me there!"

"Well, Maikaidos, I might not have to if you'd bother to come!"

"I told you Cyri-"

"Oh, just cut to it, Maikaidos." I'd never called my father dad- even when I was young, it was Mark or nothing. Mark. Pft.

"I wanted to let you know Hartanna is close, alright? You'll be safe soon."

"Thanks, Mar- Maikaidos. Catchya." I jammed the oval button angrily, glaring at the orange screen for about ten seconds before my face sagged and I had to close my eyes. I threw the phone onto the overstuffed couch, let it bounce onto the matted shag rug, and then threw myself onto the frayed mattress. The springs hurt like crazy, but the ache in the pit of my stomach hurt more, like the tightness in my throat and the burn of salt water on my newly warm face.

This Hartanna chick better get here before I decide that the CIA database wasn't tricky enough to hack.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

Random avatar

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:54 am
Calligraphy says...

I don't think I am going to keep going....

A. S.

262 Reviews

Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:37 am
ultraviolet says...

Jianna Kris

In the morning, Jazz couldn't remember anything else, so we just continued in a general direction she knew one of the dragons lived. What was his name? Maikaidos, I think. It was weird, thinking that there were more. For now, it seemed like we were the only abnormal people ever. Like we were alone. Of course, that was ridiculous, but how would we even know if Maikaidos was alive? The slayers could have gotten to him like they almost did us and we would never be the wiser.

But we had to keep on our quest. There was no alternative, at least not one where we survived.

We had to go on foot, because it was too dangerous during the day to fly in the sky. We tromped through the woods, and Mo--Hartanna was surprisingly light on her feet, not making a sound as the leaves crunched beneath mine and Jazz's feet. Bird's swooped around the treetops, singing cheerfully while we made our journey.

I wondered what we would do when we reached the end of the line; we didn't know where this Maikaidos person--dragon was, and after a while we would come out of the area. I guess then we would simply round back and start searching in buildings and parks and anywhere else we could think of, me and Jazz at least.

But we would think of that when we got there. For now we walked through the woods, which were really weird. When I thought of woods I thought of miles and miles of trees, but here there were a patch of thick trees, an open field, and more trees, often with a house dotted in between. It wasn't like this everywhere, but we had to do a lot of ducking behind buildings and praying we wouldn't be spotted.

It was foolish to think that we wouldn't, at least not forever.

It was around midday. The sun was beating down and the breeze was nonexistant. I flapped my wings, just slightly, just enough to create a breeze, but while the breeze helped Jazz, I still was scorching hot. Figuratively speaking. I'd have to watch my language, now that things like that were more than just meanings, what with being dragons and all.

Using her wings to propel forward, Hartanna quickly, yet silently hid to behind a barn, and then to the woods beyond it. Giving us a signal, she went out of view. Jazz dashed to the barn, and I did likewise.

Making sure it was all clear, we rushed into the woods by Hartanna, but she was out of view. What was not out of view, however, was two grown men in chain mail armor wielding unrealistically sharp broadswords.

The slayers had found us.

~asofterworld.com

84 Reviews

Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:37 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Jazz:

Oh great. That's just so freaking perfect! We walked right to them! Wow, could this day get any worse? Oh, of course they see us! And of course they stand up! And of course they're about to fight us! Where the heck is Hartanna!?

I got closer to Jianna and stood infront of her. She has a family, I don't. If I get hurt no one will care. But she has Hartanna. Them attacking me would give her time to flee. Besides, she didn't have anything to fight with but wings, and I don't think they're that useful as a weapon.

I kind of growled a little bit when they took a step towards us. Smoke began billowing from my mouth and nose as I stared them down.

*I have no idea where to go from here.*
Live, Love, Laugh

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson