Young Writers Society

The Great Road Trip (Invite Only)

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:09 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

>Now. :D<

Dess

I hummed to myself as I walked down the sidewalk. Barefoot, with my dance shoes slung over my shoulder, my bag thumping against my side. I was on my way to Artie's. We'd always walked to school together, since sixth grade, and the last day was no exception.

I reached the door and knocked the knocker. "Artie, it's Dess! C'mon, it's the last day!" I called, my eyes darting across the street. It was still dawn, but we liked getting there early.

"Coming, Dess!"

There was a thump, an "Ow!" and the sound of Marsho whining before his footsteps picked up again. I leaned against the railing on the side of the walkway and stared at the clouds, tinged pink with the sun. My iPod was in already, Crossfade playing, and I shifted my hand as the laces of my dance shoes began to dig in.

The door finally opened, and Artie stepped out, looking a little frazzled. I didn't ask. I clapped him on the shoulder and tilted my head to the sidewalk. He nodded, and then we were walking. I yawned. He handed me a Fig Newton.

Yep, that was us, Dess and Artie, the Ultimate Pair.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:10 pm
Razcoon says...

Yeah, I want the car stolen and the window smashed and kiara ditched ASAP
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:52 am
eldEr says...

Artie

I bit my lip, for once hardly in the mood to talk. I wanted to crawl back into bed, or lock myself in my bedroom and play music all day. I had a migrane, and a stiff back, and a whiny attitude by the looks of it. Of course, I was trying to put on a happy-face, I didn't need to ruin the last day for Dess.

"Dang it," I muttered under my breath.

Dess looked up curiously. "What's wrong?"

"I've got that year-end recietal today, and I forgot my violin," I grumbled, kicking at a rock. We were already half-way there, turning back would be dumb.

Dess frowned. "When's the recietal?"

"Two. I miss Spanish for it."

"Go grab it at lunch then."

I sighed, looking over my shoulder to avoid eye contact. I didn't know exactly what had gotten into me, but I felt absolutely irritable today. "I suppose that would make sense..." Yeah, no cheetohs. I prayed the day would end quickly.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

57 Reviews

Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:35 am

Dess

I wanted to hug him, but the hugging thing had been dropped in fourth grade, in an incident involving Tonya Reechie (aka biggest gossip in Ms. Edille's class) and a shady oak. I shivered, hoped Artie would chalk it up to the chilly morning (in LA? In June? I was skeptical), and took longer strides.

We reached the front steps of Los Angeles High (LA is so creative, right?) and ducked under the rather huge arch leading into the school. Loud people, banging lockers, a hidden boombox from one of the theater kids- I loved LA High. I fondled a wall and turned up my iPod -on Maroon 5 now- and rocked my hips. Barely, mind you, Artie was still at my side.

"And she will be loved," I sang under my breath. One of my favorite songs, by a long shot. I thought I heard a slight chuckle from Artie, but I couldn't be sure.

"And now I'm off to dance." I said, jabbing a thumb to the studio behind me. "You're not the only one with an end-of-year recital, you know." This time he definitely chuckled. I laughed too and took my earbuds out, waved to him as he turned down the opposite hall, and half-skipped to the studio.

Aaaand I banged straight into someone.

"Oh! Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't looking - here -" My voice was chopped up as I tried to help whoever I had knocked down to their feet.

<Anyone!>
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:24 am
ForsakenAngel says...

Could someone bring Selene in?
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

57 Reviews

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:26 am

I just gave a big opportunity, Shad.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:40 am
Razcoon says...

Sakin bring in Kiara when you post?
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

116 Reviews

Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:59 pm
ForsakenAngel says...

Sorry, I asked because I didn't have time to post.
Hakuna Matata <3

Hop freight or get lost.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:53 pm
Kaywiia says...

Archie

"Oh! Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't looking - here -" Dess helped me up.

"Well, what a great way to start a mornin', eh?" I laughed once I was on my own two feet again.

"Sorry, Archie."

"It's all good. I'm excited for the road trip," I winked, and she rolled her eyes. "Selene still comin' on the trip?" Yeah, I had a bit of a thing for her. Dess had known that for a while, but had never told Selene, otherwise there would have been problems. I had checked on this fact about five times the last few days, and I think it was bugging Dess a little. It never hurt to check, in my opinion

"Yes, Selene's coming, for the tenth time," Dess rolled her eyes again.

"Hey, I haven't asked ten times. More like nine and a half." the bell rang, "Okay, see you around." I said, and waved. From there I walked onto my next class. Principles of Business, fun for all, not.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

116 Reviews

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:11 am
ForsakenAngel says...

Just to keep this going

~Selene~

Kiara and I walked down the hall, neither of us talking to the other. Friends were the ones that were there, not always talking, but there. That's the way we seemed to be. We didn't talk much, but we were there when we needed the other.

"What do you think about the road trip?" I at her, and away from my phone. She shrugged. "Do you still feel like going? Because you don't have to if you don't want to, Ra. I do." I smiled.

"Because Archie is going?" she asked, smiling. It was the first time we'd talked since this morning. I blushed and looked back at my phone. She was the only one who knew about my crush on Archie, and when I heard he was going on the road trip, I was more than happy to go.

"I heard Chad's gonna go," I said, looking at her and watching as she did as I had done, smiling and looking at her phone. I put mine in my pocket, waiting for the text that said Chad was going for sure. She liked him, and it was funny that both of the guys we liked wee going on the road trip. I glared at my pink pig converse, willing my phone to vibrate. I was a little impatient, and I really needed an excuse for Kiara to go.

"I guess," she said, her voice low I cold barely hear it. I was used to her low voice, I was used to us not talking for horse n end. I had gotten used to the silence.

When we rounded the corner, I saw Archie walking away from Dess, and I smiled at him as he headed our way.

"Hey," I said as he walked past me, both of us turning to look at the other. I walked backwards for a moment until he was around the corner, then I turned back forward. So far, we were just friends, friends who hung out almost all the time.

School was a bummer, and I was more than happy when it was over. Kiara and I left the school, walking out the front doors. Everyone met up in the front of the school, and I thought it was funny how we always seemed to do that. We went to meet them.

"Can't wait for the road trip," I said, standing between Archie and Kiara. Archie was much taller than me, and I realized that now. I shifted to my other foot so that I was leaning closer to him. I have my ways, I thought, smiling slightly. What else could I do, tell him I liked him? And where would that get me? Besides, I didn't think I was ready for anyone just yet. In many ways, I was still a kid. Only, a kid whose family was gone and was adopted, and she couldn't remember what the wreck was like. I tried so much to forget, and not let it change my happiness. I was happy, I had to admit, I just wished I knew my parents.

I refocused my thoughts on the road trip, completely forgetting about telling them of my adoption.
Hakuna Matata <3

Hop freight or get lost.

116 Reviews

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:50 pm
ForsakenAngel says...

OK, POST SOMEONE!
Hakuna Matata <3

Hop freight or get lost.

The idea that a poem was a made thing stayed with me, and I decided then that I wanted to be an artist, not just a diarist. So I put myself through a kind of apprenticeship in writing poetry, and I understood even then that my practice as a poet was deeply related to my reading.
— Edward Hirsch