z

Young Writers Society

Tribal *started/not accepting*

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:50 am
Razcoon says...

:) This is the first storybook I've ever made. Tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. All profiles in the DT.

Plot:
The city of the trees, the city of the sea, the city of the sand, the city of the sky, and the city of the fire. The ancient cities dwell in rainforests, islands, deserts, mountains, and volcanoes. The five tribes have lived in harmony for centuries, protected by the light spirits of their elements. Each tribal leader is a well respected, worthy being that protects their people.

All that changes one day when tribe leader Zareb, from the city of the trees, burns down the most sacred tree of all. The Blood Tree had been standing for countless centuries, and if legend speaks true, since the beginning of time. Whenever one of the tribe is destined to die, the tree becomes sticky with dark red sap as a warning to all. It also used to be a place of sacrifice. When the tree turns red for Zareb, he climbs the tree and sets it on fire, going down in flames with it.

The entire tribe is in shock, especially his twins, Mika and Mikaia. However in the ashes of the tree, they find a note from their father, untouched and unreadable to anyone but them. The lightspirits that have supposedly been protecting them had been trapped by dark spirits, who were harnessing their energy in the tree in order to create disasters deadly to any living creature. Zareb knew his time had come and used old magic to deliver the message in secret to the twins, while delaying the spirits by releasing their energy. The message explains that they have to travel to the other four tribes and finds the heirs, as they have a unique ability to speak to the light spirits when united in a place of high energy. The light spirits are the only ones that can help the heirs save their tribes.
----------------------------------------------
The City Of The Trees
Girl: Mikaia - RazHuni
Boy: Mika - allmixedup

The City Of The Sea
Girl: Aequor - ninjacookiemonster

The City Of The Sand
Girl: Dusk - fictionfanatic
Boy: Logan - fictionfanatic

The City Of The Sky
Boy: Trey - RayneChild
Boy: Tristan - KAH

The City Of The Fire
Girl: Sariena - Isha

Light Spirits

Fire: Allikard - TheGreatIthy

Dark Spirits

Trees: Scura - RayneChild

Sea: Xavier - retrodisco666

Sand: Sheker - LavenderBlue

Sky: Dahlia - AngerManagement

Fire: Adar - RayneChild
Rules:
-General YWS storybook rules
-Minimum post of 550 characters
-No god modding
-No descriptive sex scenes
-Swearing? Fine with me, just don't be too vulgar. No F bombs.
-I welcome violence. Violence is good.
-No killing off other people's characters without their permission.
-If you decide to leave, say so. That way, if anyone wants to take your character, we won't have to drag him/her around. Or we could just kill it off.
Character template:

Code: Select all
[b]-Name:[/b]
[b]-Age:[/b]
[b]-Gender:[/b]
[b]-Human/Spirit [If spirit, what kind]:[/b]
[b]-City:[/b]
[b]-Personality:[/b]
[b]-Appearance Picture [No anime]:[/b]
[b]-Strengths:[/b]
[b]-Weaknesses:[/b]
[b]-Preferred Magical Weapon:[/b]
[b]-Love [Yes/no]:[/b]
[b]-Other:[/b]
Last edited by Razcoon on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:03 am, edited 9 times in total.
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:00 am
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Claiming Heir of Sea. My profile, as requested, will be in the DT.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:18 pm
fictionfanatic says...

I claim city of sky! Will post profile in a minute.
Live, Love, Laugh

84 Reviews

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:30 pm
fictionfanatic says...

deleted
Last edited by fictionfanatic on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live, Love, Laugh

57 Reviews

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:34 pm

In the DT, Fic. Profiles in the DT.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

114 Reviews

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:52 pm
Razcoon says...

Starting! So sorry if the post sucks, I'm doing it via itouch and attempting past tense.
Mikaia

The branches of the tree cradled me in a comfortable way as the warm humid air filled my lungs. I could see forever from where I lay wedged between two branches in the canopy. I stood, holding onto a branch to keep from falling, and saw everything beyond the City of the Trees.

A mountain peak, snow capped and surrounded by clouds. Their city lay on the side, a good sized ledge. From here the ledge was barely visible, let alone the people. There was also the ocean, not far from the mountain. The island looked tinier than the ledge, being farther. Turning, I couldn't see the volcano very well. It was very,very far. Not quite as far as the desert,which was about 50 miles south from the volcano.

Watching the cities from the canopy is something I love to do, wondering how the others live but knowing I'd never love their homes any more than my own. Faint screams reach my ears from below. This can't be good.

I try to climb down, but slip and fall for a few seconds, branches whipping my face. Without panic, Without hesitation, I look for a sturdy branch and grab hold of it.

When I saw smoke billowing through the trees, I panicked. The smoke smelled sickeningly sweet, like...the sap from the blood tree. Oh no...

Falling is faster than climbing anyway. I leaped to a thick branch about twelve feet below on the next tree over, and kept leaping from branch to branch for several minutes until the ground was visible. I immediately jumped to the ground and landed with a bone jarring force, then ran to Mika.

"Mika!" I panted. "What's going on?" he looked at me grimly then at the blood tree, which was a smoking pile of ashes.

"Can you see it?"

"Yes, but...what happened?"

"The blood tree went down in flames with our father," he said, looking angrily at the smoke. I was shocked. Mika loves his family with his life. Why was he so calm about our father's death?

Grabbing his shoulders and facing him towards me, I looked straight into his eyes. "You have to be joking, but this isn't funny." I said the words, yet I knew Mika was angry and there was a part I was missing. A part he didn't want to tell. "Mika...you have to tell what's wrong. We're twins. I know there's something you aren't telling me." Silence. "Please, Mika!" I cried.

He took a deep breath before saying, "He set the tree on fire and sat in the branches while it burned." Oh. How the hell could he do that? The blood tree...it's the most sacred thing in our tribe!

Angry tears sprang to my eyes as I joined Mika staring at the smoking ashes. Something seemed to be pulling me there, but it was the last place I wanted to be. Mixed emotions of shock, sadness, betrayal and confusion fill me.
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:35 pm
RayneChild says...

Trey

I stood perfectly still on the narrow ledge, contemplating where I should jump next. I charted my course in my mind and jumped from ledge to ledge until my feet hit the more solid, stronger, broader ground. Umi jumped down after me and I rubbed her fluffy black ears. Her pink tongue lolled out of her mouth happily. We began walking back toward the city when Tristan ran up to me.

"What's up, bro?" I asked him with a smile.

He looked at me seriously and my smile fell. "Look." He pointed in the direction of the City of the Trees.

Billows of smoke rose from the spot the Blood tree was growing in. My eyes widened. "No..." I said, almost in a whisper.

I raced toward our city as fast as I could. Umi was right by me, and Tristan was behind, exhausted from running out to me the first time. I stopped fast in front of my mother when I got there.

"What happened?" I asked urgently.

My mother shook her head slowly. "I"m waiting for word from the city." I could hear her voice trembling slightly and she was shaking.

I turned around and watched the smoke rise, my eyes jumping from billow to billow. I felt myself start trembling with fear and worry.
Last edited by RayneChild on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Singing: It's more than my forte; it's my fortissimo
---
They say "Guns don't kill people. People kill people."
Well, I think guns help. If you just stand there and yell BANG I don't think you're going to kill too many people...

114 Reviews

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:35 pm
Razcoon says...

[Actually it's not good for the dark spirits...they were harnessing energy in the tree and now it's been released.]

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:35 am
RayneChild says...

Oh. Lol I thought it was good because they captured the light spirits. But I'll fix it :)
Singing: It's more than my forte; it's my fortissimo
---
They say "Guns don't kill people. People kill people."
Well, I think guns help. If you just stand there and yell BANG I don't think you're going to kill too many people...

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:17 am
KAH says...

I have a question! Can we post our part of the story whenever we want?
Dreams don't always have to exist while the sun's down and your eyes are shut.

114 Reviews

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:28 pm
Razcoon says...

Yep! You could easily post next. Just whenever you feel you should. Please keep this in the DT! We have discussion threads for a reason!

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:29 pm
KAH says...

Tristan

I kicked at the dry desert sand of where I live, the air was soothing with a welcoming warm wind, and it was hot but I could tolerate it. I was thinking about all the people who had walked on this land before me and what their purpose was. That’s how I thought, always thinking about the people who came before, always wondering about how their lives would compare to mine.
I walked and didn’t really pay attention to anything but the pit pot of my footsteps and my thoughts. But soon I heard other footsteps going at a much faster pace than mine, running footsteps coming closer. I looked up and there was my mom.
“Tristan!” She yelled, defiantly out of breathe.
“Hey, mom…?” I was confused at what she could be doing running like a mad woman through the desert. “What are you doing?”
“Tristan, there is no time for talk. Zareb has burned down the Blood Tree. Hurry run and get your brother!”
“Ok, I will be there as soon as I can.” I turned away from her quickly and sprinted back the way I had come deeper into the desert.
I wasn’t sure how many miles I had run but I finally found Trey, ledge jumping with his dog Umi, sometimes I thought he loved that dog more than me. He saw me running towards him and looked up.
Casually he said “What’s up bro?” with his cocky smile that girls drooled over.
“Look” I said sternly and pointed to The City of the Trees where you could see smoke rising above the tops of the trees. “No…” He said softly, now understanding the urgency of the situation.
He rushed past me, sprinting to the City with Umi running right beside him. I could only muster enough strength to do a slow jog, but when I did reach the edge of the forest my mom was there, talking to Trey.
I had never seen my mom or my older brother look so worried in my life. Which made me a lot more worried then I already was, I looked up to them, if they were worried I was even worse.
Some people started gathering, but only the ones who lived close. They wanted to see what was going on, hoping to get some sort of information. Everyone had a look of worry and horror on their face. Why would someone burn down the blood tree?
I was just sitting there thinking about what was going to happen, worrying about the future. The unpredictable future that seems impossible and unreal, until it happens.
Last edited by KAH on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
Dreams don't always have to exist while the sun's down and your eyes are shut.

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:58 am
AngerManagement says...

Dahlia Delacroix

I snarled from my position in the sky, as the acrid smell of what had once been The Blood Tree hit me. All that power, all that energy, lost because some twerp couldn't control their powers. I gripped my staff in my left hand and dropped lightly from the Sky, willing the winds to blow me gently onto the earth. And it did. I smiled, landing in the City Of Trees.

I needed to know the situation, I need to avenge the blood tree, I also needed to cleanse the world of humans- But that would take time, and I had plenty. I knew that the rest of the spirits would be gathering to this spot quickly, to gather the energy that had leaked out of the Blood Tree. I needed to get my fill first, then I would return, but not before the child got what was deserved. Next time, there would be a firmer grip on her powers, if I decided to leave her alive that is.

"Hey, you?" I spun around as a little child grabbed hold of my arm.

"Let go." I said, but he held on.

"Let go." I repeated, but I was being dragged.

That's the problem with being a child! No respect, no one ever listens..

I flicked my finger and sent the child flying into a tree, the smell of blood tinged the atmosphere as did screams from other people. With that I walked away, back to the Blood Tree.
Dont tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Anton Chekov

84 Reviews

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:37 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Dusk:

When the wind blew, blowing sand everywhere, and a strange smell hit me. Slapping my hand over my nose I screamed out "Logan!" He came running and immediately put his own hand over his nose. Logan is the only other one my age, so we are best friends. We looked towards the forest and saw billows of smoke rising.

"Oh no." He said gravely.

*Sorry it's so short*
Live, Love, Laugh

57 Reviews

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:12 pm

Aequor

Now, you should know, I'm normally a very relaxed person. Fire on the beach doesn't bother me- I need it to survive. But fire in the trees? Bad, bad, bad. Trees are more flammable than sand, and from my viewpoint atop a palm, the fire wasn't just a forest wildfire, to be silenced by a quick douse from my people.

The Blood Tree had burned.

So, suffice to say a brief panic was in order.

Whimpering all the while, I grabbed a large bamboo pail and slopped some seawater into it. Pouring it on myself, and thereby getting severely chilled, I dumped an armload of seaweed on the small bonfire a few feet away- an emergency smoke signal.

High, dark, twisting plumes rose above the trees, doubling the choking stench circulating the island. I tossed a palm leaf on the flames and a charcoal stone, as well as a bird-of-paradise. The plumes tinged red and thinned, making it look like a bloody veil was roiling about from the circle of stones on the beach. The whole island would know about the Blood Tree's fall now, if the opaque columns from the center of the island didn't say enough.

The Blood Tree had fallen... too scary a thought to comprehend.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

Maybe what most people wanted wasn't immortality and fame, but the reassurance that their existence had meant something. No matter how long... or how brief. Maybe being eternal meant becoming a story worth telling.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality