z

Young Writers Society

Way Out West: Difficulties

Random avatar

Reviews: 16
Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:26 pm
Baboon says...

MELVIN BROOK

Brook jumped down from the wagon. He'd ridden at the front, eager to take in the view, and had put up with the irritating conversation of Rosette on the way. Drawing close to the town though, it was obviously abandoned, a looted ghost town.

Where could he go back to though.

He scratched his stubble as he turned to get back on the wagon. Rosette's idea of putting it to a vote was ridiculous. They had no choice, whoever the man was who'd raised the issue of the oncoming Winter, he was right.

He gestured onwards to Rosette. "We don't have any other options. We'll make do." He yawned and waited for the silly girl to get back on the wagon.
"I am, I am, I AM..." - Randall Flagg levitating in The Stand

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:52 pm
SisterItaly says...

Rosette

"Fine." I sighed desperatly and got back up onto the wagon. I saw something move, and looked over, a girl on a horse was riding into town, was that a snake on her shoulders? I grabbed Melvin's arm and pointed to the girl as she rode out of view.
"Did you see her?" I asked.
"See who?" he looked at me like I was crazy. I sighed and rolled my eyes.
"The girl! on the horse, she was wearing pants!" I whispered to him. He shook his head.
"I think the heat's gettin' to ya."
"Maybe you're right..." I sighed sitting down. I saw her, I know I did. Then chaz rode up, god bless his soul.

Chaz

I heard the small conversation between Rosette and... Melvin was it?
"Probably not crazy, a little odd, but not crazy." I said.
"Um... thanks?" She said, Melvin looked amused.
"It may be bandits. Keep your eye's peeled." I
I knew I would be, I had the feeling we were being watched.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:45 pm
jolene says...

Sabrina:

I stopped and got off of Devil's back. I rubbed his mane, "Sorry boy, but it is a little uncomfortable." I grabed a hold of Devil's reins, and walks beside him. I start thinking about her mother, but when I started thinking about her dad, I shuddered.

Then all of a sudden, a hand was on my forarm and I whirled around and a guy with blonde hair and brown eyes. "Hey there missy, are you cold?"

I answered, "kinda, why?"

He stepped closer to me, "why, becuase i know how to keep you warm. All you have to do is stay close to me and come to my mat every night untill we get to the town and then back again. What do you say, gal?"

I just stared at him for a second then I felt myself blush, "I dont think so sir. I dont need you to warm me."

He pulled me toward him and hashly whrispered, "I think you do."

And tried to kiss me and i started so kick and scream, "Help! Help me!"

*The guy is just a NPC!*
Love from the girl who wishes she could fly and be a wolf,

J. L. S.

LOOK HERE!

Spoiler! :
If you support LGBT people please come join at this group! viewgroup.php?f=336

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:29 pm
ridersofdamar says...

can I claim the last guy? if its not too late?
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

66 Reviews

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:47 pm
SisterItaly says...

*SURE RIDER!*
Chaz

I Hopped up my horse and pulled the guy away from Sabrina.
"I don't take kindly to men like you" I said, feeling my face steam up. I balled my hand into a fist and prepaired to punch him when Rosette came up.
"Please, please gentlemen, I'm flattered, but don't fight over me." I looked at her, was she for real?
"We ain't." The guy chimed in, a confused look on his face. Her face reddened.
"Well you should be!" She said, storming off. I shook my head and returned to the scumbag and the girl. I picked him up by the scruff of his shirt.
"Now I suggest you leave this little lady alone, cause if I see ya harassing her again, so help me I'll blow your brains out." I let him go and he fell to the ground, I kicked his leg. "Now get!"

He scurried off. I smiled in victory and turned to the girl.
"You alright?" She studied me quickly and hopped back on her horse.
"I'm fine, thank you kind sir." she said, in a timid voice. I tipped my hat.
"Was my honor." With that I strode back over to my horse and hopped on, then picked up pace so I was riding near her. I noticed the entire caravan had stopped to watch that little episode back there. I sighed and shook my head.
"Nothing to see here people, come on, let's get into town and make camp for the night. We start the repairs tomorrow."
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

The Book.

21 Reviews

Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:11 pm
jolene says...

Sabrina:

I turned to the nice man that helped me. "Thank you, sir."

He shook his head, "It's okay ma'am. People like him should not be here in this mighty fine world."

I nodded my head a little, "I agree. I was cold a bit but i am not desperate for anything like that" I felt my face blush. Why in the world am I talking to a stranger like this?! i scolded myself. I put my hand out to the man, "By the way, my name is Sabrina, Sabrina Wolfe."

J. L. S.

LOOK HERE!

Spoiler! :

66 Reviews

Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:24 pm
SisterItaly says...

Chaz

I shook her hand.
"Chaz Willis, nice to meet your acquaintance." I said. I looked up to the sky, a bird soared high above us. We rode into the town, and the covered wagons stopped. I guess I was taking charge of the situation.
"OK, there has been a possible bandit sighting, so keep all your valuables close. Some of us the the 'pleasure' of staying up all night and keeping guard of the caravan." And with the I hopped off my horse and strode off towards the buildings, or I would of, if the little prick from earlier didn't stop me.
"Hey, who says I'm gonna take orders from a black person." I froze up, tensing at that one word. I turned on one heel, facing the caravan, and more specifically him.

"When we came here, it was to start a new life, a life where everyone is accepted. Blacks and whites, and even the most outlawed bandits get to start over. Besides, I don't think you'd last five minutes out her on your lonesome... unless of course you have a better suggestion." I asked, leaning on one leg and tipping my hat back. He went wide eyed.
"Um, well, uh..." He stammered, I chuckled.
"That's what I thought." Then I strode off to look at the buildings. They were sturdy enough, all except one with frame damage, great fire wood though.

The Book.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:29 am
eldEr says...

Lillian

I chuckled to myself, leaving Charming out behind the building. He would stay put, there wasn't any need to tie him. Viper was coiled around my waist, head sticking up in front, which seemed to be his favourite position. I crept through the back door of the building, an old shop by the looks of it. Shelves stacked in the corners, empty glass jars, and old boxes that I didnt' dare open.

I wouldn't be staying here, but if I could find some ammunition for my gun, I could have some fun. I strode around the dirty building, searching shelves and sticking my head into pantries and cupboards. Nothing. Not a single bullet. I cursed and kicked at a wooden crate before turning and leaving the way I came.

I slipped out the door, Charming greeting me with a quiet whinny. I kissed his nose and fished a slice of apple from my pocket. "Sorry boy, it's all I got for now," I whispered as he swallowed the slice and sniffed around for more. "You stay put, got it? I'll be back in a bit." Charming snorted and looked away from me.

I rolled my eyes, gave his neck a quick pat and started towards the next building. I had to hurry and find somewhere to make myself at home. It wouldn't be long before the caravan folks were spread throughout the village. The next building didn't have a front door, but one of the windows lacked glass. I slipped in as gracefully as I could, though I made a little more noise than I would have prefered. Ah well, not like they could hear me.

I looked around, waving my hand in front of my face to scatter the dust. Definately not here. Way too out in the open... I clambered back through the window and worked my way to the front of the building, peeking behind the corner. They were still arguing off on the other side of town, I had time.

"I should really be looking for a hotel," I muttered. After I found a decent room, I would find somewhere to hide Charming. Then I'd start having some fun.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:58 am
Chupatoasta says...

Mikayla~

Mikayla glared at Malichai's back as he rode off to help one of the men, Chaz, with whatever he was doing. Mikayla slid from her saddle, looking around. Most of the women were wearing dresses, the horrid things. They were way to hot to be worn out here in the west. Mikayla grabbed one of her many water containers, and took a swig, whistling a short call.

Duke, a large, merle border collie leapt from the back of a wagon, Daze, a smaller, younger, black and white border collie following close behind. Mikayla smiled and moved her hair from her face. She squatted down, and cupped her hand, pouring the water into it. The two mutts lapped at the water generously, their tails wagging a hunded miles an hour.

"Alright, alright, easy now." She chuckled softly when Duke growled, rather loudly. "There's plenny to go 'round." She smiled and poured some more.

Malichai~

Malichai kicked his horse into a gallop, riding beside a dark-skinned man who was surveying the buildings. Malichai pointed out the rotten-framed building, and grabbed an axe from his knapsack. "I say we start cuttin' some firewood. It may be hot now, but in a few hours, it's going to feel like Boston in the winter, but without the snow." He chuckled softly.

"You been to Boston?" Chaz asked, turning his gaze to Malichai.

"Only once. Little sister wanted to see snow when she was sixteen, and we traveled up there for the winter. She's hated it since then. Says it's too crowded." He chuckled softly and handed an axe to Chaz. "Well, let's get cuttin'."
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

66 Reviews

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:29 am
SisterItaly says...

Chaz

I took the axe with one hand, my face still holding the same emotion. What ever that was exactly.
"Thanks." I said, tipping my hat. I gripped the axe I'm my hand. "You got a name, son?"I asked, tilting my head towards him.
"Son?" He started, then shook his head. "Ya, they call me Malichai." I nodded my head, my face twisting in approval. Interesting name. I felt a shuffling beside me, and looked down. I chuckled and moved my arm.
"This here's Runt. Runt a' the litter but a fighter. He'll make a great sheep dog one day." Mali, as I had nicknamed him, looked back up to me.
"Cute." He commented, the prepared to swing. "Less talk more action ol' man." I chuckled and prepared.
"I'm gonna make eat them words kid." Then I heard footsteps behind me. I turned my head to see another guy.

"Need some help?" He asked. I gave him the quick up/down.
"Sure, who's askin'?" I asked, still in the position to swing.
"Call me Luca. You?" I stood up straight and tilted my hat up.
"Chaz Willis. This here's my good friend Runt." I said, moving my arm so runt was visible. "And this here's Malachi." I said as mali handed him an axe.

Rosette

I jumped down from the covered wagon. Walking over to the girls.
"Hey." One said, waving to me.
"Hello." I greeted back, keeping my posture lady like. "My name is Rosette." I started.
"My name's Jaelle, mind if I call you Rose." OK, she was one I could get comfortable around. I relaxed.
"Sure, why not. You as disappointed as I am about all this. I had heard stories about the west. Wide open green pastures, gold mines over flowing with the finest gold... and we get this." I said, gesturing to the abandoned town.

The Book.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:45 am
Chupatoasta says...

Mikayla~

Mikayla chuckled softly after listening to the two dress-wearing woman talk. Gold? Green pastures? All Mikayla had heard when she found out about this movement was getting out of the south, and she took it. The west was just so much more... free. There was such freedom out here, it was overwhelming. Mikayla turned to face the women as Duke and Daze lapped up the rest of the water she'd left them. Daze ran her totting body over to Malichai and the other men as Mikayla walked up, a little insecure. Would she fit in with two rich women? Probably not, but they were here, and they were going to have to be together.

"Um... hello," she said softly, trying to be nice, "I'm Mikayla, or Kayla for short... You're Rose, and you're Jaelle, right?" She'd remembered the names after three months of traveling.

Malichai~

Malichai chuckled as Duke and Daze trotted over. Directing his words to Chaz, he motioned to the two sheepdogs. "Duke and Daze. Duke's the big one, Daze is the little one. My sister named 'em, but they're both herders. Duke's got a few more years of experience than Daze does, but they're both great." He chuckled and hacked a piece of wood off. He tossed it into the pile, and kept hacking away.

*All i got*
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:54 am
Loller65 says...

I'll take that last male spot, if you don't mind!

Name: Henry Harbin

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Personality: Henry is a quiet, southern gentleman of Scottish descent. He lived on a large plantation in the South, as he was the son of its owner. He was tired of the racism around him, so he packed up and headed west with a slew of other people. He lived an affluent childhood and learned how to hunt. He is therefore an excellent shot and always has a Winchester with him. He also learned how to ride horses and is an excellent rider. He is charming and people like to be around him, as he is pretty funny. However, if someone gets on his bad side, he'll challenge them to a duel or some such nonsense. His upbringing him causes him to (on occasion) make sudden, drastic decisions and do something stupid like duel someone. He drinks in moderation, and also smokes a pipe constantly. He is also quite fond of suits, and even brought a few with him, just in case.

Up for love?: Yes, he plans on wooing a suitable woman at some point.

Other: His gun-
Spoiler! :

His pipe-
Spoiler! :
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

66 Reviews

Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:53 pm
SisterItaly says...

*I'll bring Henry in, Riders you can still join! I had to make one extra girl slot, so we have 1 more girls then we do guys*
Chaz

I dropped another peice of wood onto the pile, and prepaired to take another swing. Then I saw another guy walk up.
"You coming to help to?" I said, standing up right and leaning on the handle of the axe.
"Uh, sure, why not. Name's Henry." He said, grabbing an axe. I lifted the axe and prepaired to swing again.
"Call me Chaz, and this here's Runt." I said, gazing down to the pup, who had fallen asleep in my satchel. I smiled at him.
"I'm Malichai." Mali said, taking a swing. I took my own, closing my eyes as the wood splintered.
"And I'm Luca." We were all introduced, and now hacking away. I moved around to the side of the building. The window was missing, and the beam inside looked like it was about to give out.
"Careful!" I called around to them. "Looks like she's ready to give out." I inspected the beam again. Definatly ready to give.

The Book.

21 Reviews

Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:16 pm
jolene says...

Sabrina:

I was looking into the desert, to look for the wolf "sly" (as i named him), then i heard a creak. I whriled around as i saw four, including the one that helped me, in the way of the falling building. I grabed Devil's reins and hopped on his back and charged at the four guys. i made devil ran over too of he guys and i grabbed the other two and the puppy from the building. I landed on my face and got a mouthful of dirt. I started to choke on it and i couldnt breath. I rolled on my back and let go of the guys and the puppy and tried to spit all the dirt out but i couldnt! i tired to say something but my mouth wouldnt work!

J. L. S.

LOOK HERE!

Spoiler! :

66 Reviews

Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:49 pm
SisterItaly says...

Chaz

It all happened so fast. One second the beam cracked, and the next I was laying on the ground next to a chocking Sabrina. I scooped up Runt and placed him back in the satchel, then turned over and wrapped my arms around the girls stomach. between her coughing and Runts barking I was developing a headache. She finally chucked up all the dirt. I placed my hand on her back and leaned forward to see her face.

"You alright little lady?" I stood slowly helping her up. She coughed again then turned to me.
"Ya, I'm fine." I patted her back.
"Guess this makes us even huh?" She rolled her eyes, as everyone ran over.
"You guys alright?" I looked up to see a pretty young lass hugging Mali. He chuckled.
"Were fine Kayla, thanks to her." He huffed, nodding at Sabrina. I couldn't take my eyes off the girl.
"You OK?" she asked Sabrina, her voice like an angel.
"Ya, I'm fine, just swallowed some dirt." she answered. Her face went from worry to sympathy.
"Let's get ya some water." She said, wrapping an arm around her and helping her back to the wagon.

I looked over to Mali.
"Nice girl ya got there." I said nodding over to the angel. Mali looked up.
"Oh, no, she ain't my girl, she's my sister." I snapped my head up.
"Your sister?" It was more of a statement then question.

The Book.

"I'd be a quote vigilante. A literary Batman. Someone had better be quoting me now!"
— Feltrix