Young Writers Society

The OC Storybook

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:33 am
Vanadis says...

Gwen Ellis

Ace hopped over the guardrail across from his house and started hopping down one of the less steep, shorter cliffs, his board under his arm, his blue hair flailing in the wind. That boy was going to kill himself one day, and I was going to be blamed for it. Yep. I could just imagine Ms. Gracie pulling me aside, shouting, "Oh my god, you killed Ace! You bastard!" And that woman...when she was angry, she could probably scare Chuck Norris. Or, well, maybe at least Ozzy or Rob Zombie.

I picked my way down a slope carefully, not particularly wanting to end up missing school because I'd fallen and cracked my skull. Ace didn't seem to care. He never did, reckless little...thing. I'd thrown my board down the hill, something my shorter friend called 'sacrilegious,' but what did he know about that anyway?

"Oh my god, Gwen, you're so freakin' slow," he called back to me. "Come on. We're gonna miss the good waves."

I ran down the beach, catching up to him. "Sit!" I shouted, but he just gave me a funny look--his eyes narrowed to slits, his tongue stuck out.

"No, I don't think I want to do that whatever-you-do-thing today, Gwen. It doesn't do anything."

"It clears your mind," I argued as I grabbed his shoulder and squeezed a certain spot, flooring him instantly. "That's better."

Ace Finn

"No, that is not better!" I cried, rubbing my shoulder. "Why d'you always gotta do that to me?"

But, I supposed, if I pretended to be interested, maybe it would be over faster. Or maybe I should let her see just how ridiculous it was.

She started giving me a play-by-play of what I was supposed to be doing in my meditation. Yes, she was probably standing on the top of a mountain, breathing in the thin, chilly air, watching the clouds pass under her, hearing the distant cries of the birds, and--woah. I shook myself out of my relaxed state. I couldn't let her win.

Ma had told me once that it was what I got for having the daughter of a holistic health practitioner for a best friend, and Dad told me not to knock it before I tried it...two very conflicting pieces of advice, there.

"Think of a mantra," Gwen said. "Mine's going to be, 'I am beautiful, smart, and can do anything I put my mind to.'"

I looked thoughtful for a moment, though I already knew what I was going to say. "Okay. Um, how's this? I am an obsequious, pretentious, wanna-be hippie, and I'm on the first train to--"

"Do it right, Ace!" she growled, but I just picked up and left her sitting there. She called back to me after a moment, "Did you just use 'obsequious' in a sentence? Are you feeling all right?"

No, actually. I was feeling sort of...weird. Like something was going on that shouldn't be... I wonder if she felt like that, too.

"Maybe you shouldn't go out there," she said, basically answering my question. Yes. Something was going on.
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:05 am
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Ella

"Stargirl. Hey, hey Ella. Ellllaaaa?"

I raised an eyebrow and shot Griffin a cringe worthy glare. "Yes?"

A grin cracked across his face. "There's going to be a race tonight..."

"Board or bike?" That had always been the one question I always asked. I was in my Type's Skynox league, basically meaning I was supremely good on board. Griffin was too, which annoyed me to no end. However, where he was the fastest car driver I'd seen, I was probably the fastest motorbike rider to grace the earth. And I mean that in the most modest way possible.

"Multi."

My face lit up. I loved multis- meant I could race Griffin in his car, with me on my bike. Not to say we didn't -we did- but now we got to do it against world class competitors, even it was rather... well, illegal. Oh well.

"What time, who'll be there?"

"Few hours, and... hate to break it to you, but they're letting Mundanes see this one."

I leapt up. "What?! That's insane! It endangers-" Taking the cue from many hard glares and a slightly alarmed looking Griffin (which really just meant his jaw was held half a fraction tighter), I sat back down, and in a much lower tone, continued. "It endangers our entire existence!"

"Yes, but... Ella, this is the biggest race they've had for a decade. Global, Ella. Global." I hesitated.

"We're in."

Griffin smiled and shook my shoulders, earning many a raised an eyebrow from the other customers. I glanced over my shoulder. Griffin's smile faded.

"Ells, you feel something?"

"Yeah... I dunno. Like something really weird, maybe really bad, just something... something big's going to happen. Really soon." I looked out of the window again.

"Too soon."
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:27 am
SisterItaly says...

someone mind bringing me in?
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:09 pm
RayneChild says...

There is no right or wrong. Just play with your character!

Allmixedup, you might want to find out if anyone's location is the same as yours so you'll have someone to interact with, if you don't already.
Singing: It's more than my forte; it's my fortissimo
---
They say "Guns don't kill people. People kill people."
Well, I think guns help. If you just stand there and yell BANG I don't think you're going to kill too many people...

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:48 pm
RayneChild says...

Lanoray

My mom and dad really jumped off the deep end this time. I sat in my seat on the plane, scowling, waiting for take-off, the music of my iPod falling on deaf ears. They were sending me off to live with an aunt that I couldn't even remember anything about, although they seemed to think that I'd remember everyone I ever met, even though I was two years old at the time. I was going to stay the summer in some small town that I couldn't even remember the name of; I didn't care enough to try to remember.

Finally, the plane left the airport, and we landed in Georgia about 8 hours later. What's worse, my aunt didn't have a car, so I was expected to take a taxi to the town that I couldn't remember the name of and try to track down her house. Perfect. I caught a taxi and, when I got inside, the driver turned around.

"Where to?" He asked me in a gruff voice.

I cleared my throat. "Um, I don't know what it's called," I told him. His face began to change, and he had an angry look about him. "It's a really small town."

He rolled his eyes and turned back around. "You're lucky I know this area so well," he told me.

About half an hour and a number of dirt roads later, I arrived in the town. A sign by the road read 'Willow, Georgia.' Oh yeah, huh? The car stopped in front of the General Store. Wow. Hasn't been updated to 'grocery store' just yet, huh? I got out, paid the cab driver, and went inside the store.

A cheerful man stood behind the counter. His hair was white as snow, and his pinkish face was lightly covered with wrinkles. His clear blue eyes, narrowed with age, peered out behind thin-rimmed glasses. He was thin, but rather short.

"Can I help you?" He asked in a friendly voice.

I tried to smile. "I'm looking for my aunt's house," I told him. "Her name is Violet."

"Ah, Miss Moorey," he said, and immediately I knew that she had never been married. That, or she was a widow and changed back to her maiden name. "It's down on Molly Street. It's a big blue house, black roof, white shudders, and a white door. There's a picket fence, green grass, and lots of trees. Nicest house on the street, I figure."

I nodded to him. "Thanks," I said, and left.

I continued down the main street of the town until I came to Molly Street. The man had told me that her house was the nicest on the street, and by the looks of the street, it seemed to be the nicest one in the town. The blue house with a black roof, white shudders and white door was the last one. The Atlantic ocean rested about a mile away, down a grassy hill. The abundance of trees in the front yard made the house very well shaded from the afternoon sun. A beautiful stained glass window with a floral design was set into the front door.

Immediately as I stopped in front of the gate, a dog began barking. It was funny, but from all the things I had heard about my aunt, she didn't really strike me as a 'dog person'. The white door opened and the largest border collie I had ever seen bounded out and towards the gate.

"Border, heel!" A voice called from inside the house. The dog, Border, stopped in her tracks and turned back to look at the open door, an ecstatic expression plastered to her black and white face. "Lanoray, is that you?" The voice called.

I cleared my throat. "Yes," I called back.

Aunt Violet came out of the house quickly. Her once dark-brown hair was now very gray, but still showed traces of the original color, and it was pulled into a pony-tail. Her dark blue eyes had a light of youth in them, though her tan face was wrinkled. She wore jeans, a t-shirt, an old-fashioned cowboy-esque vest, and cowboy boots.

"I haven't seen you in 15 years, except what I've seen in pictures," she said as she approached me. Her voice was warm and friendly, much like the man at the store. She opened the gate quickly. "Well, come in, come in!"

I forced a smile and followed her up the brick path, up the front porch steps, and into the nearly ancient Victorian house.

---

Lol, I'd love to live in a place like this :) Sorry about the length :shock:
Singing: It's more than my forte; it's my fortissimo
---
They say "Guns don't kill people. People kill people."
Well, I think guns help. If you just stand there and yell BANG I don't think you're going to kill too many people...

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
— Charles Mingus