z

Young Writers Society

It's Elementaly Mental! (dumb title, i know, will change)

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:46 pm
View Likes
NinjaCookieMonster says...

*fingers crossed*
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:34 am
View Likes
Pundit says...

*Note-This post was made using information from Wikipedia*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_glacial_period
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

Name:Moroz Héla
Type:Ice Spirit and Darkmere
Appearance:Image
Only with iron gray hair and silver-blue eyes.
Personality:Cruel, harsh, and cold
History:His coming instigated the last glacial period. Approximately 18,000 years ago, the courts declared war on him, and 8,000 years later, he had vanished. He has surfaced multiple times in the past 800 years. Now he wants to stay here. Scraps of writing from when he first walked the earth suggest that he was once a prince of the water court. He is the leader of the darkmeres.
Last edited by Pundit on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
George Orwell

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:37 am
View Likes
Araidne says...

Elanah-

Elanah watched as the servants set up some tables in the banquet hall, in preparation for the feast that evening. Elanah groaned inwardly as she thought about who she would be entertaining. It was always risky having all of the Mages gathered together. This meeting would be riskier still, since all of them would be bringing their new apprentices. She especially loathed having Boreas in her home. As the ruler of the Air Court, Boreas was her complete opposite. She shook herself out of her thoughts. "Ma'am?" one of the servants asked quietly. "The Fire, Water, and Air Courts are here, as well as a tree spirit. Shall I serve them tea in the drawing room?" Elanah shook her head. "No, the study." The servant gave a quick bow, and left. Elanah wandered aimlessly through the room, straightening a wilted flower here and there. She heard a loud cracking noise behind her, and whirled around. A black vortex swirled in front of her,like shadows writhing, radiating outward the feel evil and death. Suddenly, a face pulled into view, distorted as if it were covered by a thin film, and smiled at her. "Darkmere!" she hissed at it. "Begone from this place." She raised her hands toward it, summoning the strength of earth to her, gathering her magic around her. "You have no power in this realm!" she said, shoving her magic at the vortex in two beams of green light. The Darkmere howled, as the vortex began to close. "This isn't over yet, Mage! It begins! The Regalia will be found!" is screamed at her. The vortex closed with a pop. Elanah breathed in deeply, catching her breath. The Regalia? she thought. What, How does that creature know of the Regalia? She walked quickly out of the hall. She grabbed a nearby servant. "Have Gavyn join me in the study immediately." The servant bowed. She turned left, and headed toward the study. "Darkmeres and riddles." she muttered to herself. "Maybe it is just as well that all the Courts are here. This could bode ill for all"

Note: The Regalia are the tools that the first mages used to trap the Darkmeres and other evil spirits in the Spirit World
Out flew the web, and floated wide,
The mirror cracked from side to side.
'The curse has come upon me' cried
The Lady of Shalott

57 Reviews

Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:48 am
View Likes

Ceri

I smiled at the servant as she shut the door behind her and took a place in a corner, out of sight. I pulled my hood up and closed my eyes, and then I was no longer Cerianne, of the Water Court, but just plain Ceri, the quiet girl who liked the cold.

Hands slipped into my pockets, head leaned into the lining of my hood, one white and silver boot crossed in front of the other, I paid no attention to the people gathering. I rubbed my thumb against the carved birch wolf in my pocket, given to me by a kind woman who had owned a shop. On my wrist, a white hemp bracelet, threaded through with silver, from a curious little store tucked away on corner. Little tokens from my journey.

A smile flashed across my face as I thought back. So many years of walking, hitch hiking, meeting, remembering. No one in any of the courts knew what that was like. It was beautiful, I thought. I kept rubbing my carved wolf, images flickering across the backs of my eyelids.

I blew out gently, smiling as the moisture evaporated. When I was much younger, I would swipe a hand through it, tearing the cloud of steam. Now I watched as it drifted apart lazily, lethargic in its death.

Funny how you changed in traveling.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:08 am
View Likes
Razcoon says...

Gavyn

Falling. Darkness around me spinning, hissing. All because I'm a failure, because I didn't destroy the darkmeres, and now I'm part of their world.

A loud knocking on my door wakes me up. Dreams that make no sense are awful. Dreams that happen while I'm supposedly studying earth magic? Worse.

After a moment of silence, the knocking comes again. I smooth my shirt and hair, then open the door to see a servant. "May I help you?"

"Elanah wishes to see you in the study," he answers.

"Thank you," I grunt, and head straight for the study. Did I do something wrong? I can't imagine what...though I'm sure I did something. I'm getting that guilty feeling in the pit of my stomach. Then again, I always get that when I'm called for.
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:42 pm
View Likes
Pundit says...

Moroz-
"WHAT! You had Greylock undertake this mission! Like as not, he spewed exactly what he was doing there, without even managing to learn anything. I told you to send that Oni, Tanto, there, Dravit." Seraphina was snarling at the ghoul crouching in front of her, while it weakly stammered excuses.

I summoned the guards. "Dravit is Seraphina's newest toy. Take him to her apartments, then tell Shara and Tanto we wish to see them."
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
George Orwell

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:18 pm
View Likes
SisterItaly says...

I hate to ask, but can someone bring me in?
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:20 pm
View Likes
Kelcia says...

*I'll make another character - probably a mage - later.*

Jacaranda

Jacaranda sat on a chair high off the ground, observing the study and its occupants. What amused her to no end was that, in a rather ironic way, she spied only an apprentice in the room – and it was supposed to be a meeting of the four Mages. She chuckled to herself. Oh, dear, Elanah would not be pleased.

“Ceri!” she called to the girl in the corner. “Don’t think I don’t see you skulking. Come out and talk to me! How are things at the Water Courts – I haven’t been there for a while. Where’s the old Mage?” She grinned as the pale girl stepped forward.

“Around,” said Ceri, shrugging. “He just kind of disappeared when we came in.” Jacaranda sighed and shrugged.

“Honestly, the Mages can be even more capricious than me sometimes. I came here with Air Mage and company, but then poof! They just vanished. I expect they’ll be around, though. They’re always just around.” She winked at Ceri.

At that moment, the study door banged open. Jacaranda smiled in a rather mischievous way.

“Ah, so the fun begins.” She grinned. “This should be good.”
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

57 Reviews

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:08 am

Ceri

I smiled politely at the blonde girl who had entered, gave a warmer smile to Jacaranda, and slipped back to my corner. I wondered where our apprentice was. I had come because I was, as they said, a Guardian of the Court. Not that I did much guarding, but I was the best hand-to-hand fighter there. Wouldn't be much help against a mage, I thought, but it was something.

I lifted my head up and stared at the ceiling for a while, thinking of how the ceilings were like the ones back at Court. High and vaulted. I liked that. I closed my eyes and clasped my hands in front of me, the fabric of my hemp bracelet rubbing gently, almost soothingly, against my other wrist.

I turned my head ever so slightly to the right, feeling the soft lining on my cheek, and then turned it back. I wanted to take out my birch wolf, just to look at it, but that might raise questions that I didn't want to answer. Best saved for when I was alone, and could think of the small town, partially populated with ancient tribes, without interruption.

Crossing one foot in front of the other, I tilted my head, looking at the crown molding- it looked like vines, ivy, leaves, but not gaudily so. Must've taken a long time to carve, I'd imagine. Great work always did. Like the wolf. It was the size of my thumb, and yet, had taken a week to carve, probably more. The man who had carved it might've been bragging, even, when he told me.

I didn't blame him. That little birch wolf was one of my most valued possessions.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:23 am
ScarlettFire says...

Seraphina:

The ghoul was taken away and I turned to Moroz, my master and leader. He was scowling at the far end of the hall we stood in. I sighed, moving to his side.

"What are you planning, my lord?" I asked, coming to a stop just behind him.

Moroz sighed and turned his silver-blue eyes onto me. "Why do you ask? You know what will happen."

I shook my head, turning to the Oni now entering the hall. Tanto hesitated, looking from me to Moroz and back. While he was still standing there, Shara entered. She walked right past him and straight over to us, kneeling before Moroz. Reluctantly, Tanto joined her. For an Oni, he was pretty scared of us. And to think I was younger than him.

"What is it you ask of me?" Shara asked, keeping her head bowed. Beside her, Tanto was fidgeting.

Moroz and I exchanged a look. He noded and I stepped forwards. I told them the plan and both looked stunned for a moment before Tanto started stammering about the place being too heavily guarded. Bored, I waved my hand and summoned one of my panthers.

"Do it," I said and gestured to the too-big cat. "Or let him rip you to shreds."

Tanto shut his mouth and bowed his head, cowed. Good. I didn't have time for rebellious Oni today.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

53 Reviews

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:28 pm
View Likes
Araidne says...

Since no one else claimed any of the other senior mages, here are their names,age, and appearance. I'll let their apprentices decide their personalities (keep in mind it should be similar to their element)

Air: Boreas (Male). 528
Water: Varun (Male). 525
Fire: Aithne (ice-ney) (Female). 523
Attachments
jamie thomas king.jpg
Boreas
jamie thomas king.jpg (20.38 KiB) Viewed 168 times
dudley.jpg
Varun
dudley.jpg (27.19 KiB) Viewed 168 times
GW297H297.jpg
Aithne
GW297H297.jpg (16.84 KiB) Viewed 168 times
The Lady of Shalott

53 Reviews

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:54 pm
Araidne says...

Elanah-

Varun was waiting for her outside of the study. "Elanah." he said. She smiled at him. "Varun, it's so good to see you." She looked around him. "Where is your apprentice?" He laughed. "I could ask you the same thing Ela!" They both turned as the sound of running feet was heard coming down the hall. Gavyn was running toward them, his hair a mess, as usual. Elanah groaned inwardly. He had put on some black jeans and a dark green silk shirt. At least he had dressed for the occasion , as she had asked. "I take it this is yours?" Varun muttered softly, leaning in toward her. Elanah nodded. Gavyn came to a halt in front of them, and bowed. "Lord Varun, may I present my aprentice, Gavyn. Gavyn, this is Varun, head of the Water Court."
she said, trying to summon some dignity to the situation. "Gavyn." said Varun, offering his hand. Gavyn shook it. "Sir." Footsteps came from behind Varun. A girl with hair so blonde that it was nearly white, walked in and stood behind him. She was wearing a long blue overcoat, which Elanah realized matched her eyes perfectly. "Lady Elanah, Master Gavyn, this is my apprentice, Aquila." Elanah smiled at the girl. "Mistress Aquila." Aquila bowed her head toward her. Turning back to Varun, Elanah said, "Boreas and Aithne are in the study already. There has been a rather unsettling event very recently that should be brought to all of your attentions." Varun nodded. "Very well. Let's join them."

(allmixedup, here's where you come in : ).)
The Lady of Shalott

53 Reviews

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:56 pm
View Likes
Araidne says...

BTW who's the junior fire mage?
The Lady of Shalott

57 Reviews

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:57 pm

Not me. Ceri's just the Guardian of the Water Court, that's all.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:58 pm
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

I thought that was my character, Sienna. She's the only fire one around, I believe. You may have to check.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

Be led by your talent and not by your self-loathing ... everything beautiful in the world is within you.
— Russell Brand