z

Young Writers Society

Robin Hood Gang 4: The Hunted (Ended)

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:49 pm
BenFranks says...

Reg Carter

I admired Daniel Prince's courage as we talked past the rows of shubbery near the village's centre. He carried on telling stories of all the events that were fairly dramatic but not as thrilling as meeting a Fisher's member first hand. Though he did recall reminisent memories of Riley growing up. I was almost enticed to invite him back to Riley's to meet the rest of the gang, but I knew that he could easily be a traitor - or someone else. Instead I merely listened to his stories, enticed by his words, his recounts of normal-being. Something I envied greatly about the man.

"Suppose that's nothing compared to what you've seen though, young lad," he smiled and slapped me on the shoulder.

"No, you're right," I admitted, "but I'd happily trade my experiences for yours any day of the week." I could've met his tales with some of my own; Bree's death for example. Instead though, I decided against it. I still didn't trust this man, despite his good vibes.

"I bet you would," he said sincerely. "Anyway, you best be heading back son. People all around here looking for you lot. Hot-spot for the Fisher's gang we're nicknamed. Don't worry about me though, young lad, I'll keep my mouth zipped."

I smiled and nodded at the man, before turning and looking up along the shubbery to the streams I had been at a moment ago. I began picturing my route back and resighting the events that had just unfolded. It had seemed weird for such a conversation of the norm to occur, but rather enlightening all the same. Then and there a feeling hit me. Like an ultimate surge.

I wanted to run away. I wanted to find my sister. I wanted to recount normal events in my life. I stood frozen on the spot near the outskirts of the village, my head standing up above the shubbery.

Perhaps Jack was right.

Perhaps my time would come first.

Reviews: 2
Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:28 pm
RedSun says...

Alis

This house, these people, this place, I couldn't take it anymore. If I spent one more second wallowing around here, I'd go crazy. Making sure no one saw me, I crept outside.

I whipped out my phone, and dialed.

"Hello," the general's cheery voice came on the phone.

"It's Alis Carso," I said in a blank monotone.

"I just knew you would call," he said. I smiled, and chuckled.

"Well, that makes two of us." From there, I told him our exact location, and anything else he needed to know about the gang that might be helpful. "And, General, I won't be involved with this. Kill them all, I don't care. Just make sure I had nothing to do with this."

"Of course, Miss Carso. I wouldn't mention it. Like you, I won't be fighting. I'll be giving orders from a seperate location. You are welcome to join me, if you wish. We will be able to watch the whole thing."

"I believe I might," I paused for a minute as he told me the location.

"I'll burn the house; everything. I'll make history, the general who killed the Fishers. I can see the headlines already."

"As can I, General," I couldn't help it, I laughed.

"Please, Miss Carso, call me Anthony."

"We will have to see, won't we." With that, I hung up. They would be here tomorrow. I was a lot of things, but I wasn't evil. I would let them have their fun for one more day.

Then it was all over for the Fishers.

Reviews: 1
Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:59 am
Fox says...

Mark

"I threw away everything I could have had, a normal, happy life. Never having to kill someone, never looking back and wondering what I could have prevented. Having a family that was proud of me, being able to go out in public without the risk of being shot. I lost it all," Riley said, looking down at her feet.

I frowned. "How would you have known stuff like this would happen. Bree dying wasn't in your control."

"Exactly," she said, "I didn't know what would happen. I shouldn't have taken the chance."

"It's not your fault." I reassured her. You started this gang to help the poor. That's what it was all about! Lots of people are thrilled you started this gang." I stepped close to her and raised her chin up to look at me. Her eyes twinkled, but they were sad. "Listen to me. None of this was your fault. Things just got out of control. You wanted to help people, to make a difference." She didn't say anything.

For a moment, we just looked at each other. I never noticed before just how pretty Riley was. Not in the way I normally think of girls, but with true beauty. Inner beauty. I looked into her eyes, and I saw the eyes of a little girl. Maybe Jack was wrong about her. She was the victim.

"You know," I said, "you look real pretty when your not threatening me with a gun." I said. She laughed, a short, quiet, beautiful laugh. I blinked, then realization came to me. I couldn't do this to Jack. I backed away. "Well, this was...nice." I said, a bit awkwardly. "I guess I'll...uh...see ya later." We both nodded, then I walked off. She turned back to the mirror.

"I really do think you look nice." I peeked into the room again. She turned around, but I was already gone.

I slipped outside, and bumped into Alis. "Hey, what are you up to?" I asked.
I am a fox, sly and quick.
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:38 am
Kaywiia says...

Riley

"I really do think you look nice." Mark said. I turned around, but he was already gone. I sunk down to the floor, and put my head in my hands. This didn't make any sense, it wasn't suposed to work out like this. When I was young, I though falling in love was so easy, just a guy and a girl. End of story. I never knew how wrong I was, how the person you loved coud have cared less. If I had known, would I have ever grown up?

I look over at my journal on the counter, and flipped to the last date. June 21, three days before I had left. Reading though, I realized how innocent I had been then. A tear dropped onto the pages, and smuged the ink. I whiped it away, and read through. All I ever seemed to do was complain. Putting the journal on the counter, I went and pulled my guitar off the stand in the corner.

After a quick tuning, I walked downstiars and out the door, carefully making sure no one saw me. I strapped my guitar to my back, and rode offon my horse towads the cliff on our property. Once there, I sat down and began to play a little. I sang anything that came to mind, and stayed there until the first signs of color touched the sky.

As dusk set in, I began to ride back towards my house.

But before I did around and admired how much I still had, even though I lost so much.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

411 Reviews

Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:03 am
BenFranks says...

Reg Carter

It was dusk on the way back as I wandered along the stream attempting to retrace my steps. I then crossed over into a field, which I was pretty sure was Riley's due to the overgrown shubbery surrounding it. As I did I noticed a female figure riding across parellel to my position. I guessed it was Riley and thought whether or not I should make a noise. I decided to call out and see if she'd here me.

"Riley!" I yelled twice. On the second shout she looked around sharply as though she was being hunted. I guessed she could only make out a male figure, like I could only just make out her's. She wouldn't know who it was yet. She rode towards and drew a side weapon. I smiled. Did she really need me?

"Reg," she stated as she rode within ten or so foot of me. She demounted her horse and looked at me. "What you doing all the way out here?"

"Went for a walk," I murmured. "Ran into a fellow called Daniel Prince." I waited to see if the name rang a bell. If it did, she didn't show it. We walked along the field in the orange-yellow dusk as Riley pulled her horse by its reign next to us.

"I don't know who that is," she replied. "I like it here."

"I do too already," I said, "I never realised you had so much land. It's all so beautiful... so normal..." my voice trailed off.

I could tell she felt a similar way, whether or not gang-life was the right way to go. Reflecting on human choice. She put her free arm around my shoulder and grinned. "I know what you mean."

At first I felt awkward by the friendliness. It wasn't particularly Riley, and it definitely didn't happen to me. I was just the guy in the gang who protected 'em. After a short while I got used to it though. She sensed my discomfort and laughed. "What?" she said chuckling, "I don't think I've thanked you for everything you've done, Reg."

"No. I don't think I've thanked you, Riles," I replied. "You're the one who's saved us all." She nodded and hung her head, patted me with her free arm and replaced it next to her side once more.

I changed the subject. "So, who's the horse? It's a lovely thing."

We were approaching the house, and it may've just been me, but I felt myself slowing down. I liked every second of the normal-ness of just walking and talking with an old friend. As soon as I'd step back into that house it'd all start again...

42 Reviews

Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:34 pm
Kaywiia says...

Riley

"His name's Chariot," I answered Reg's question, "I was just that original when I was younger." We both laughed, but then feel silent again.

"There's something about here," I said slowly after a minute, "It really just feels like nothing ever happened. Like it was all just one nightmare, and I've finally woke up." I sat on the fence, and Reg leaned against it beside me. "I guess it would be just like this if I had never left. Just talking to a friend, watching the sunset over the field, stalling going back inside. But it would probably be for different reasons."

"Like?" Reg raised an eyebrow.

"Namely my parents, and..." I couldn't say her name; I knew I would lose it again if I did. I couldn't cry in front of Reg, I was better than that. Reg sensed my hesitation, and looked at me with concern. I finished the sentence, "and Bree." A tear leaked down my cheek. "I can't look at anything without thinking of her," I admitted through my tears.

I brushed my hand over my cheek, "I'm going inside." I said, and began to walk away.

411 Reviews

Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:24 pm
BenFranks says...

Reg Carter

I felt bad for Riley when she'd started crying. It wasn't the damsel in distress type of cry, it was the one of experience. Her bringing up Bree had kind of touched me too. Not in the extent it has her, naturally, as I didn't have the same history with this place as she did. My mind thought quickly and for a moment I thought Riley could take it, just needed her space, but I suddenly fought against it, whether it was instinct or love for her as a sister, I grabbed her as she walked away.

"Look Riley," I said, staring into her eyes, my hands gripped on her arms. She allowed one or two tears but nothing to make her look like she wasn't in control. "I'm feelin' the same pain. We lost someone we loved. Hell, we've both lost a lot'a people. Sometimes we think we can take it and walk off n' be normal. We can't. Our lives are in this shit storm now and we got'a make the most'a it. Sometimes a shitstorm is best with friends... Look Riley, what I'm saying is that you need a friend. I need you."

I wondered what way she'd take that last line, I didn't even know what I meant. I felt a mix of feelings dashing between logic and care, but little to do with anything else. Perhaps I was confused, but the sadness of Bree's memories allowed me to keep my eyes locked onto hers, waiting for some kind of reply. Something to break the mould, a jump-start to minor comforts. The sunset fell into the hills behind us.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:48 pm
RedSun says...

Alis

I brushed Mark’s question off, not in the mood to come up with a good lie.

“I’m going off to get some food. I’ll be back in like an hour. “

“There’s food in the house,” Mark looked confused.

“Do I look like I care?” I didn’t let him answer the question. I walked away, off towards my car. I wasn’t going for food. In fact, I wasn’t coming back here ever again. I jammed the keys into the ignition, and drove off.

I was headed toward north, towards Anthony’s place. It would take me the rest of the night to get there, but I could care less. I wasn’t in the mood to be talking to people right now.

Thinking about it, this would be a brilliant trap. Had I been outsmarted? It was possible the general was waiting there with a firing squad, ready to kill me. But if he wanted me dead, he would have shot me that January night. Maybe he just wanted information, then intended of disposing of me.

A part of me almost wanted to trust him, though. Some little fraction of me wanted to believe that there were some people in this world who didn’t lie as much as I did.

42 Reviews

Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:24 pm
Kaywiia says...

Sorry for shortness....

Riley

I knew what I felt, and I had been waiting so long for a chance to speak the truth. Why, then, was I hesitating as the words caught in the back of my throat? Was it fear of what he would say, or simply fear of the unknown? The tears had stopped falling by now, but I still couldn't think clearly as his gaze held mine. Against my better judgement, I spoke.

"Reg, I love you, but there's nothing either of us will ever be able to do about it," My voice got softer towards the end, and I couldn't meet his gaze anymore.

The only reason I spoke the truth, and deicded against a lie that would make everything so much easier was his last line. The three words that had given me the strength were likely also going to be my downfall.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:34 am
RedSun says...

Alis

It was almost dawn when I reached the General's house. As soon as I parked the car, he came outside and greeted me.

"Miss Carso, lovely of you to join me," He smiled, and gave a slight bow.

"The pleasure is mine," I gave a soft laugh under my breath.

"Come to the living room, we will be able to watch from there. I'm sure your friends are in for a real treat,"

"Do you have anything in mind?" I raised an eyebrow, looking at him over my shoulder.

"We'll burn the house, and let Riley live just long enough to see that. Then we'll kill her. It's a long standing truth that emotional tourture is more painful than physical."

"It was one of the first things I learned," I smiled coyly. I liked the way anothony thought, and I had a feeling I might stay at his house a but longer than I had originally planned.

411 Reviews

Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:40 pm
BenFranks says...

Reg Carter

Nothing either of us can do about it? She was right in some respects, I'd always loved her as a sister and I'd always seen the need to protect her. A relationship caused trouble, it always did. Quick flashbacks of Bree went through my mind as I tried to troll around to a response to make Riley feel better or atleast be honest. Words wouldn't come though and instead I just pulled her into an embrace and looked out while the sun disappeared to the hills.

"It'll be fine, Riles," I muttered, "All fine." Perhaps I was being dramatic, but the sudden urge to do something had flooded through me and initiative took over.

Suddenly, I was distracted. A movement of a convoy behind the shubbery over the hills made me think. Someone knew we were here. It was like a sixth sense. What made it even more fishy was the fact that the headlights of the convoy were turned off. At this time of night that was mental; so they were obviously going to try and creep up on us. They'd be here in twenty minutes if that, and that didn't give us long at all...

"Riley," I growled and stepped back. The atmosphere changed quickly from emotional to serious, Riley was taken back. "Look." I pointed outwards to the hills where a faint movement of vehicles slid above the top of the overgrown shubbery.

"Shit," Riley muttered.

"We ain't got long," I grunted and ran into the house. "Time to be a leader, Riles. We need ya."

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:41 pm
Vanadis says...

Ace

I hung off the couch, upside down, staring at my mini-computer.

"Couches...go the other way, Ace," Maitea laughed.

I just shrugged, as much as I could being upside down and all. "Could you get me a soda plea--wait. Hold that thought, I found something." A few taps of the screen brought up a satellite image of a convoy heading down the road, probably only a few miles off. "SOMEBODY here either ordered a shit-ton of pizza, or we're about to have some unwanted guests."

"Their arsenal?"

"I'll figure that out later...shit, I think they've got me blocked. Well, gotta hand it to them. About freaking time. Maybe I can hide behind a pr--" I back-somersaulted off the couch as soon as the front door opened and Riley and Reg rushed in. "Hey, um, are you guys having company?"

"Know about it already. Saw 'em on the hill," Reg said.

"Then you know they'll be here soon, like fifteen, twenty minutes," I called back as I ran to get my guns. I came back to the front room, locked and loaded, and then something dawned on me.

"Where the Hell is that Alis? Know what? Nevermind. This is her doing; it's always her doing! If I ever see her again, I'm blowing her head off, end of story!" I drew out my other gun, a new one. A bigger one than what I usually had.

"What's that?" My fiancée asked. "Is that a--"

"Grenade launcher? Maaaybe..."

"Where'd you--"

My lips turned up in a grin. "Ma always was a really good gift-giver."
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

42 Reviews

Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:46 pm
Kaywiia says...

Riley

I sprinted back to the house, once I was inside I started yelling, "Get armed, now! Guns, bullets, vests, the whole five miles. Do it now!"

Eve ran up to me, "Riley, what's going on?"

"The governemt knows we're here. Do what I said, arm yourselves." I ran upstairs, sheathed a knife in my boot and pulled on a bulletproof vest. I quickly re-loaded my gun and then ran downstairs. I half-ran up to Howard, "where's Alis?"

"I haven't seen her for a while..." he trailed off.

"That bitch turned us in!" I was making assumptions, but it made sense. I briefly wondered what she had gotten in return. "Everyone, get outside, hide somewhere on the grounds and kill anyone you can. No mercy, we don't have time to be nice."

I ran outside, and slumped behind my dad's old pickup truck. Before even a minute had past, three black sUV limo's pulled up. I held back a gasp as close to twenty US Marshalls exited the vehicles. I took aim at one particualrly burly one, and shot. It hit his shoulder.

"Find whoever that was. Kill them all, but leave the leader alive." the man who was obviously in charge yelled. The group disperaresed, and the battle began.

411 Reviews

Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:28 pm
BenFranks says...

Reg Carter

Most of the gang had taken fort at the front of the house and although my priority was to make sure that Riley stayed safe, I'd decided that waiting around with her only tended to get me shot. This time I'd help by going on the attack, I'd play like an individual and I hoped to God no unlucky prick would get in my way.

I moved to the left corridor at the back of the house. Three men burst through the door, their assualt rifles hanging loosely. I moved quickly and swiftly, leg sweeping the first to the ground whilst blowing two loud bullet holes into one of his mates. I then threw the gun to the floor, drew a combat knife and shoved it hard into the third man's throat. He fell back and squealed. I turned my attentions to the man on the ground and, pulling my gun from the floor I placed the cold metal against his head.

"Bye mate," I stated and blew a hole in the side of his head.

Reviews: 4
Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:51 pm
MayApple says...

Maitea

Alis always had been a traitor. Now, it was likely about to be what killed us. I took out a little handgun from my pocket, and with my eyes, sized it up to ace’s grenade launcher.

“I’ll be back in a minute.” I said, and ran up to my room to get a slightly larger two-handed gun.

I ran back down to where Ace was. As soon as I did, I heard Riley barking out orders for us to go find a place to hide. I turned to Ace, “Be careful, please,” I kissed him quickly on the lips.

“I will,” he promised. I hugged him, and then ran out towards the horse barn I had seen. There was a window on the second story I figured I could get a pretty good advantage from.

I aimed and shot, but missed. All I managed to do was announce to them where I was . I let out a long stream of rather choicey words, and then took aim again.
Life is a door, and I hold the key to happiness.

It doesn’t smell old, it just smells like a bad idea.
— James Hoffman