z

Young Writers Society

Epic World: Runes of Brendor.(new thread)

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:43 am
Ray112 says...

OKay there seems to be a lot of confusion. So i'll try to clean this up the best I can. This is the new thread. We're starting at where we landed and we'll be transitioning on to the kneeling ceremony. Same people same profiles. I think it's best if from now on I handle transitions and stuff and we'll discuss what happens next in the discussion thread.

THE LINK TO DISCUSSION IS HERE:http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic66692.html

My first idea was that we'd receive the dragons as eggs but Forsakin and Untameable helped me come up with an even better idea.

The Kneeling ceremony. This is the second idea. In this ritual we're all taken through a cave with a tunnel that leads to the peak of table top mountain. Looks kinda like this:

Spoiler! :

First and second day of kneeling
Spoiler! :
The instructor then explains that in order to get your dragon you must earn the right to fly him. The dragon chooses the rider not the other way around. So what you have to do is walk out on to the rocks and bow. The dragons will start flying circles in the sky above you like crows eying their next meal. You continue to bow until their's only one dragon left in the sky. That'll be the dragon that chooses you. When the dragon lands on the table top it'll look you in the eye. You can't look away if you do it shows a sign of weakness and the dragon will attack if you don't the dragon will eventually kneel and accept you as its rider. This part of the ritual takes up to two days with four cadets performing it on the first day and the last four performing it on the second day.

Third day: Naming ceremony
Spoiler! :
On the Third day all of the cadets return to table top mountain on the night of the new moon where we'll conduct the naming ceremony. A bon fire will be lit on the table top and all of the students will each take turns going to the ledge where their chosen dragons will kneel before them. This time you must touch your dragons on the top of their heads just between the ears(or horns if the have horns). The instructor will give you an enchantment to say to summon the magic of bonding. A rune will burn on your hand matching the rune on the dragon's forehead. These Runes are called (can you guess?!) Runes of Brendor the first dragon to form a bond with a rider. Once the rune is complete the dragon will tell you its name.

Now, we'll begin from the following post.

CLASS MATES

Mantius- female-Blake Kiano/ Rubia (red) (Ninjacookiemonster)
female-Tiaan/ Knox (Purple) (Last Paladin)

Aronim- female-Jocasta Redwolf / Shiva (Bronze) (ScarlettFire[/i])
male-Manatar/Alullula(black) ([i]Pundit)

Aymir- female-Kassie/Tarrion (Black) (ForsakinShadow)
male-Allon/ Fell-Fire (Red) (Ray112)

Wolestland-female- *edited* Maeve/Aithne (Teal blue tail) (untameabletiger)
male -Emmett/Ajax (Blue) (Fox)

MAP OF THE WORLD
http://www.fantasymapmaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/epicworld.jpg
Last edited by Ray112 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Insert life changing statement"

30 Reviews

Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:43 am
Ray112 says...

~Allon

Allon hurried down the ramp followed by Kassie. Emmett had ran off to go talk to some other girl so now it was only him and jer left.

"Are you excited?" she asked with her quiet voice.

"Umm...yeah," he replied "You?"

"Yeah," she nodded. Then they both got quiet. It was awkward she seemed to be thinking extra hard about what to say. Two long minutes went by before either of them said anything.

"Well..." Allon started "I'm gonna go over there." Kassie nodded. She didn't say anything but he could see a somber expression shadowing her face. Allon stopped three steps away. Almost got away.

"Kassie,"

"Yes?!" she perked up. Allon suddenly noticed how pretty she was.

"Do you wanna go" he pointed "over there with me?"

"Sure!" she smiled. Allon smiled back and the two of them walked over to the group of cadets that had gathered around a tall man shouting orders for them all to fall in. He noticed Emmet and the blonde haired girl along with the two Mantius girls and the red haired Aronim girl he'd met before. She noticed him staring and immediately looked away. Along with those he noticed one other boy that he hadn't noticed before. He was quiet and hadn't talked to anyone yet so Allon knew nothing about him except that he was probably from Aronim.

As soon as everyone had gathered around him the tall man whistled. Allon noticed that his eyes were different colors one was grey and one was blue.

"CADETS! MY NAME IS BOFUS BRADLY. I WILL BE YOUR WEAPONS INSTRUCTOR...FOLLOW ME." The instructor turned and started down a path that led deeper into the jungle leaving the students blinking and staring around in a confused manner. Bofus called back, "WELL COME ALONG NOW!" Allon noticed something strange about when Bofus talked. It was so deep and loud it sounded as if he was shouting even though he was speaking normal.

Emmet was the first to follow the instructor then the blonde haired girl and soon the rest of the cadets.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:01 am
untameabletiger says...

Name: Maeve/Aithne (teal but the tip of her tail is dark blue )

Appearence:
Spoiler! :

Kingdom: Wolestand

Personality: Maeve takes the meaning of her name seriously (mythical queen), she believes that she is destined for greatness and will stop at nothing to reach it. Many people take her self confidence and optimism the wrong way. They usually think of her as arrogant, and rude by looking at her, but she is one of the sweetest, most protective people you will ever meet. Once Maeve connects with someone/something, she will never betray them. Her looks are deceiving, she is able to persuade people to her will easily, and is very sneaky.

Class set: Magi

Skills: Maeve is very persuasive and is a fast thinker and runner. She has a inseparable bond with her dragon. Never underestimate her she is a force to be messed with.

Weaknesses: Maeve loses focus very easily and it is hard for her to stay completely still. She also isn't to fond of darkness.

Up for love?: Yep.

Other: She has a tatoo on her lower back.
Spoiler! :

~Maeve~

I was the first one in the group to follow, the footsteps of the others behind me calmed me, because i knew i wasn't the only one following. The group was strangely quiet for the beginning of the walk but soon i heard the quiet whispers of others. i couldn't completely make out the words, so i tried to ignore them, but i heard my name, and i started to listen.

Again, i had no luck,I didn't want to be rude listening to their conversations, but I wanted to know why someone was talking, I didn't want to be rude listening to their conversations. I sighed, and stopped being nosy, my mind was racing with thoughts about what they could have been saying.

I looked back up at Emmett, hoping he couldn't read me like most people can. My blue eyes flickered back down to the ground, and i kept my pace behind Bofus.
Last edited by untameabletiger on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Reviews: 1
Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:14 am
Fox says...

Emmett

I stayed close to Meave. She was one of my only friends, and Allon and Kassie were near the back. It was quiet, but then people started whispering. I couldn't blame them.

"This is taking forever." I heard someone say. We'd been climbing for a while, and I, along with others, was beginning to get restless. We all wanted to know what the point of coming up here was.

I heard someone mention Meave's name, then I felt her eyes upon me. I tried to ignore it, but I just couldn't. I listened to their conversation, not caring if I was being nosy.

"That Emmett guy definitely likes her." I heard a girl say behind me. There were giggles, and I stopped listening, trying har to block them out. I looked at Meave, hoping she hadn't heard them.
I am a fox, sly and quick.
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:28 am
LastPaladin says...

Tiaan

Staring longingly out at the ship she let a tear fall. She had told the girl about her father but she hadn't explained why he'd so insisted. His wife was one of the girls he raped ages ago, extremely messy situation, but Tiaan knew some way or another they loved each other. Her mother wanted Tiaan to be honourable to be someone to be proud of. And so she was accepted on one condition her Father step down from his title and stop using it to create fear.

The sky was overcast with a shy sun peeking over the mountains almost as if it was nervous, she wondered why, memorizing the majestic sight she forgot all about the group. Straight in front of her was a lush forest while above that was a mountain and some bird, at least thought it was a bird.

She was lost in the resonance of the place, the radiance, being on a city in the coast she never seen such plants, such flora, buzzing of insects, with bright eclipsing beauty within her gaze. It didn’t matter that some may be poisonous, but even that wasn’t deterring, in fact it made her long more to touch the forest flames.

Closing her eyes she could no longer hear the lovely song of the whales now it was a new chorus with a new conductor. It was new.

Finally realizing how far everyone was she looked round once more before running to catch up everyone. Fortunately the group had stopped in front of a tree.

“KIDDYYWINKS, THIS HERE IS MORE THAN JUST A TREE, THIS HERE IS A GATEWAY TO A GROVE. NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN IN IT EXCEPT THE HEADMASTER AND HE ONLY TELLS US LITTLE VERY LITTLE.”

Smiling a little Tiaan clapped her hands, “Why we stop here?”

“TIS A TEST IF YOU WILL, EVERY YEAR WE GET NEW RECRUITS AND EACH TIME WE ASK THEM IF THEIR LIFE IN THIS TREE, PEOPLE ALWAYS SAY NO.”

Everyone came up and felt eager looks on face but all left looking disheartened. Tiaan felt the most melancholy she thought she would have felt something but according to all her senses the tree was dead.

“ON WE GO...” the instructor yelled.

Everyone walked on, feeling less enchanted.
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

7 Reviews

Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:54 am
untameabletiger says...

~Maeve~

I felt Emmett tense beside me, Now i really wanted to know what they were saying! There was another silence in the group as we came to our next destination.

"THIS IS THE TRAIL MANY DRAGON RIDERS HAVE WALKED UPON. TIS AN HONOR TO EVEN WALK THIS VERY TRAIL."

I sighed as I tried not to roll my eyes, at the pointless stop. I didn't want to ruin the amazement in the others, if any at all, so i kept my mouth shut.I felt Tiaan now following close behind me, I glanced back to make sure, and I gathered up enough courage to wave her over to walk with us. Her face lit up, her smile widened, i had no choice but to smile back. There was something about her I really liked but I wasn't sure what it was, and the thought of waiting for Tiaan to talk to her first was unbearable.Tiaan soon was by my other side.

"I-I'm Maeve" I managed to speak, barely over a whisper.

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:51 pm
LastPaladin says...

Tiaan

She waved loudly and hugged Maeve, “I’m Tiaan, I’m a pirate arr!” laughing a bit she smiled sweetly.

“This is such an honour huh?”

Maeve replied, “Ye....yes.”

Tiaan let go of the girl, “So, what do you think our dragon look like?”

She took time to answer, “I... don’t know... Are you always so perky?”

Nodding vigorously Tiaan continued, “Unlike some others here I’m still young and sweet some are already cold quite sad.”

The instructor pulled out a map, “LET SEE, WE’RE HERE AND NEED TO GET HERE.” He said this all out loud.

Laughing Tiaan smiled and sat down besides some flower randomly picking and offing their heads. She figured they’d be here for a quite a while, Maeve and the other boy sat down beside her, “You’re all my friends.”

They nodded looking at one another
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

Reviews: 1
Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:37 pm
Fox says...

Emmett

“You’re all my friends.” Tiaan said. I admired her for being so perky all the time, but sometimes it get's annoying. I tried not to think bad about her. I was never brave enough to talk to people like that, but she could talk to anyone. And apparently, we were all ready friends, so this might be easier than I had thought.

I wondered how far we would walk. It was sort of boring. It's not like we were doing anything, just walking and looking at stuff. I figured we were on our way, and it was just so far away, we passed a bunch of other stuff.

"AH, 'ERE WE ARE!" The man shouted. We all stopped walking one by one, forming a group at the top of the mountain. The weapon instructor stood in front of us. I looked around, wide eyed. You could see the miles away.
I am a fox, sly and quick.
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

7 Reviews

Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:10 pm
untameabletiger says...

~Maeve~

The flat top mountain, was amazing! I looked at Emmett, then at Tiaan, I saw the sparkle in their eyes, I knew they were just as amazed as i was.The instructor then spoke in his strange yet powerful voice.

"IN ORDER TO GET YOUR DRAGON YOU MUST EARN THE RIGHT TO FLY IT."

I tilted my head slightly as i spoke with a kind-of annoying tone "And we are going to do this how?"

"THE KNEELING CEREMONY. IT WILL TAKE PLACE TODAY AND TOMORROW, HALF OF YOU TODAY,AND THE OTHER HALF TOMORROW."

"Whats the kneeling ceremony?" Emmett asked in wonder.

"YOU MUST FIRST WALK OUT ONTO THE ROCKS AND BOW. THEN, THE DRAGONS WILL START FLYING IN CIRCLES IN THE SKY ABOVE YOU LIKE CROWS EYEING THEIR NEXT MEAL. YOU MUST CONTINUE TO BOW UNTILL THERE'S ONLY ONE DRAGON LEFT. THAT WILL BE THE DRAGON WHO CHOOSES YOU." He said,in the same voice that was starting to become annoying.

"So the dragon chooses us? I thought it was the other way around?" I heard a small voice say in the back of the group.

"YES, THE DRAGON CHOOSES YOU, IT HAS BEEN THIS WAY EVER SINCE THE START OF THE DRAGON RIDERS."

"So that's all we have to do?" I asked, slightly confused.

"NO, WHEN THE DRAGON LANDS ON THE TABLE TOP, IT WILL LOOK YOU IN THE EYE, AND AS A SIGN OF RESPECT, YOU WILL MEET IT'S GAZE, AND NOT LOOK AWAY. IF YOU LOOK AWAY, IT SHOWS WEAKNESS,AND THE DRAGON BEFORE YOU WILL ATTACK YOU INSTANTLY." Instructor Dofus said, with a slight shake in his voice.

Everyone's, eyes had a small glint of shock or fear, but all refused to show it more then they had already. I met with the instructors cold, different eyes, something was wrong, I could tell because he to, had a look of fear in his eyes. I kept the stare, as if practicing for the kneeling ceremony.

"GOOD MAEVE! DO EXACTLY WHAT YOU JUST DID, DURRING YOUR PART IN THE KNEELING CEREMONY." He said with a congratulating tone.

I nodded, and looked down at the ground. I felt Emmett and Tiaan's eyes on me, I didn't know whom to look at so, my eyes stared down at the dark dirt.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:20 pm
View Likes
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Blake

Meh. Didn't sound so hard. Then again, I had also said that spotting a minnow in a storm wasn't so hard. And look what had happened there. I looked around at the others. Tiaan looked thrilled. Maeve looked nervous. I didn't even want to think about the black haired boy. If I did, I'd lose my temper. And at this point, I couldn't afford to do that.

I blinked several times, trying to get my eyes ready. I was the champion at staring concerts back home- any number of my brothers could tell you that. I wondered if a dragon would be any different. I supposed there would also be different factors working against me; wind, altitude, heat, light, all of it mattered.

I, for one, was used to staring contests in bright light, so the light factor shouldn't matter. It was the wind I was worried about; it was very windy up here. And cold, fast air meant my eyes might dry out quicker. I hoped it wouldn't have to last too long. But these were dragons... I shuddered. There was a sizable chance that I would die up here. I wanted to whimper.

But Blake Kiano does not whimper. She shivers.

And I was shivering like heck.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

30 Reviews

Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:40 am
Ray112 says...

*lol sorry it's a long post*
Allon~

Allon stayed quiet through most of the instructor's direction. His eyes continually wondered up at the mountain top--it's two rocks poking out the side like a table. His stomach lurched. He'd forgotten his inert fear of heights. He felt Kassie grab his arm and suddenly he felt calm.

"How do we know who goes first?" he heard someone ask. The instructor stopped abruptly and turned on the students with the most absurd look. His two mismatched eyes were wide and his grin revealed crooked teeth.

"EXCELLENT QUESTION!" said Bofus "DO WE HAVE ANY VOLUNTEERS?" None of the students said a word--not even Tiaan who seemed to be momentarily distracted by some flowers near by. "NO VOLUNTEERS?..." the instructor eyed the gathered children Allon winced when he felt his gaze pass him. "THEN PERHAPS I SHOULD CHOOSE..." His eyes landed on Kassie and she trembled.

"No! I'll go!" Allon winced. The words came out of his mouth before he could stop himself. "I'll...go first." Everyone was surprised except Tiaan.

"No! I'll go first!" Tiaan interjected.

"AWW NOT TODAY LITTLE LADY. YOU SHOULD'VE PAYED ATTENTION."

"Aww..." She gave Allon an envious look "fine!" If Allon hadn't been paralized by his fear of heights and the shock from the fact that he'd volunteered to go first he probably would've said "Fine, you go get eaten by dragons!" but right now his mind was focused on the mountain and its distance from the ground.

"AYE LAD," said the instructor and he pointed at a cave entrance "FOLLOW THAT AND IT'LL TAKE YOU TO THE TOP."

The cave exit opened out onto the flat rocks just as Instructor Bofus said it would. Allon noticed also that the table top looked higher up from this perspective. Great. Allon closed his eyes and took a deep breathe trying to remember all the instructor had said before he left. ---

"AYE LAD NOW REMEMBER. ONCE YOU GET UP THERE GO TO THE CENTER OF THOSE FLAT ROCKS THEN BOW LIKE THIS," the instructor demonstrated by bending over with his upper half and keeping his knees straight. The instructor glanced back at the other students.

"PAY ATTENTION BECAUSE YOU'LL ALL BE DOING THIS NEXT!" he looked back at Allon "NOW, NOTICE HOW MY RIGHT ARM IS FOLDED OVER MY STOMACH AND MY LEFT ARM I KEEP STRAIGHT OUT?"

"Yea," Allon said "It looks like a gentlemen's bow." Instructor Bofus smiled.

"EXACTLY NOW, GO UP THERE AND BE A GENTLEMEN..."

---Now, Allon stood on the flat rocks with out the instructor but instead the dragons flying over head. He hoped he didn't forget how to be a gentlemen. Allon walked to the center and avoided looking down at the cadets on ground level. He knew he was somewhere high up and he didn't want to confirm how high up was. His fear made his walking stiffer and he wondered if he looked stupid to the other cadets down below.

"Ok," he exhaled the breathe he was holding "here I go." And he bowed. Yep, it's official. I look stupid. As Allon waited he began to pay extra attention to his shoes and how dirty they were. His dad--being the military buff that he was--would have not approved. It was hot and the sun beat down on his neck. Suddenly, he feared that a Dragon might not choose him. What if he wasn't worthy? What if he didn't belong after all?

That's when he felt a furious wind and a huge shadow appeared at his feet. Still bowed Allon looked up and in to eyes of the most beautiful shade of red he'd ever seen. He noticed also that the Dragon's scales on it's face were smoother and a lighter shade of red than all the others on its body. The Dragon stood on its two feet like how dog's stood on their hind legs. Allon didn't know how he could tell but the look on it's face seemed quizzical.

"Hello there," Allon tilted his head and scratched and humorously the Dragon mimicked him tilting it's head and scratching. Allon laughed. Before he could react the Dragon stepped forward--moving faster than a snake--and pressed it's face against his. Their eyes locked. Allon gasped. They looked like rubies with dark circles in the center that weren't black but a darker shade of red.
Before he knew what he was doing Allon reached forward to touch it's scales. The Dragon noticed in an instant and stepped back as fast as lightening and roared. It stared at Allon with a strange look. Was it smiling. It turned blew out a quick flame then flew away.

"GOOD JOB LAD, YOU'VE BEEN CHOSEN." Allen hadn't noticed when Bofus had gotten there but he didn't complain when he was led down the mountain and back to the group. When they had descended he felt as if a large weight had been lifted.

"NOW," said Bofus eyeing the group of students "WHO'S NEXT?"
Last edited by Ray112 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:08 am, edited 10 times in total.

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:03 am
ForsakenAngel says...

>Thank you for including me!<

~Kassie~

I stepped forward, ready to accept the challange. It was now or never. I did as Allon had done, bowing. I waited, not sure what was going to happen. A huge shadow fell over me, and I looked up, surprised that a huge black dragon stood over me. His scales were as dark as the night sky, his eyes piercing mine, hard and cold. Stunned, my body frozen, I remembered to breathe. Drawing in a deep breath, the dragon blew air on my face, grunting and stepping back a foot or two.

I didn't reach out to it, but I felt a sort of connection, a bonding of some sort, already happening. I stood, and it gave a loud grunt before flying off. I felt my heart racing, as I staired after the beast. I felt my mouth agaip, and I closed it quickly, looking around dazed. Allon was smiling at me, so I smiled back, going back to where I was between him and Meave. She had a smile on her face, and Emmett seemed ready to take the challenge next.

>Sorry it's short. I haven't really been so sure what to post lately.<
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

30 Reviews

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:52 am
Ray112 says...

NOTICE: I've moved everyone's profiles to the discussion thread.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:21 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Blake

Oh, Emmett was so not going next.

I was.

I shoved myself forward. "I'm going." I didn't say it as an offer, because it wasn't one. It was a flipping statement of fact. Our instructor (thought the more appropriate term might be "general" or "commander") ushered me up to the platform. I did just as Kassie did.

I was just about to throw a rock at one to see if I would get a response then when I felt a rush of cool air nearly knock me over. I looked up instinctively, hand snapping back to my scimitar. My eyes met huge pale golden ones that were ringed with black. I didn't dare look away, though I did notice that her scales were like bronze plates, her wings like pale yellowish brown velvet, with eyes like topaz.

I felt a little glowing warmth ball up inside my chest. The corner of my mouth flickered up into the first smile I'd smiled in weeks.

And then she flew away, the force of her wingbeats nearly knocking me over.

I stumbled back, and that's saying something. I don't do stumbling. But that's what that blasted dragon did to me. I reassumed my position, standing by myself somewhat close to Tiaan, arms folded, shoulders back, chin up.

But inside, I was pure pudding.
Last edited by NinjaCookieMonster on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

7 Reviews

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:54 pm
View Likes
untameabletiger says...

~Maeve~

I knew I wanted to be next, and there was only one more spot open for the day, so I had to go now... or tomorrow. I couldn't wait, and my conscience was telling me that today was the day.

"Me next." i said quietly, but loud enough for everyone to hear. All eyes were locked on me, as if i had just appeared out of thin air.

"You know what to do." The other three who went before me replied in unison.

I was determined, I would be a rider, nothing at this moment stood in my way, except the fact that a dragon might not choose me. The flat surface that i stood on, was stable. Closing my eyes, walking to the edge, and bowing, My heart raced, even faster then it had when I was with Emmett, which was scaring me all on it's own.

Through my closed eyes, I still felt a dark shadow hovering above me. I knew it was time. My eyes flickered open, as my gaze met the amazing, teal dragon's, the amazing connection, was instant. The whole experience probably lasted five or ten seconds, not including the wait, but it was a once in life time thing, and not many people even had the chance, to experience it.

My legs barely kept me up as I returned to my spot close beside Emmett and next to Tiaan and Kassie. Forcing my jaw to stop hanging, I smiled,and the light in my eyes showed my amazement.

"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it."
— We Bought A Zoo