z

Young Writers Society

The Six

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:42 am
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Cypress

I winced. Didn't know that was how I came off. But honestly- this wasn't all me. And I still wanted to beat him to death- but of course, with my current state being what it was, I couldn't do that.

Yet.

I closed my eyes. If he could do it, that... boy, so could I. I closed my eyes and sent him my thoughts. Rejection, fear, panic, loss, pain- and god, the pain overwhelmed nearly everything.

Running, trying to escape this madness.
Being smirked down on by the scary girl.
Lashing out- that was just the beginning of losing control.
Reaching the city, breaking down, hearing their voices, losing control, destroying my home.
The stones, the shards of glass, falling, jeering and screaming from far away.

I left out the part at the very beginning- he didn't need to know about that. I didn't stop to see his reaction and slipped back into the clearing, hanging Audie's arm around my shoulder.

I told him she needed rest.

MMV and Lulu (who I was still analyzing) were talking up ahead and it took everything I had not to walk up and go off on them until they told us -me- what was going on. I still hated this, and was only staying because.... I looked down quickly.

Because by now the entire city thinks I'm a freak, I destroyed most of the Western District, and I have no idea what's outside of the city.

Because I have nowhere else to go.

I shook my head slightly and focused on keeping my steps steady. Not on Barke- I couldn't deal with the emotions he stirred, not on MMV- same issue. Not on Audie- I didn't know what to make of her, or any of the new kids- same thing. Not on Lulu, because I'd probably end up snarling under my breath. If she hadn't... affected Barke, I wouldn't have run, and none of this would've happened.

Pft. Like I was any better.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:19 am
SisterItaly says...

Lulu

I felt miserable. Why did I feel miserable? Because everyone around me was miserable. Why was it affecting me? Because I feel their gosh darn emotions. I try my best to cheer everyone up, but they are so miserable it's making me miserable. I sigh and lean against the rock, tree whatever is behind me and turned my head up to Zabe.
"There has to be a faster way. Anything to get them to the city faster." I commented, surprisingly calm.
"I don't think there is Lu. I spent most my life in the city to. I don't know the area well. Is there anything about this area you know?" I stood up straight, thrusting my hands out in desperation.
"I lived in the city my whole darn life! You only came when you were twelve. You would know more about the area then me!" He put his hand on my shoulder. The colors came back, I smiled, sending my happiness to everyone. I realised I was arguing with his chest. That wasn't doing me any good.

"Thanks." I said, calmly. Looking him in the eyes.
"It's not me..." He said, looking over his shoulder at Barke. I smiled and waved at him slightly. He nodded and smiled in return. I looked up to Zabe, still a little angry with him. He pulled my into a hug and patted my back.
"I love you Zabe."
"I love you to Lu." Best thing about saying that to him was it wasn't the awkward lover love. It was brotherly/sisterly love. Life in the city had been hard and frustrating before Zabe had arrived. All I ever did was train. Day and night. Then Zabe came along and reminded me what it was like to have a family.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:59 am
Chupatoasta says...

Audrey~

Audrey could hardly stand. God, Barke's arm had just overdone it, especially with all the terrible wounds Cypress had endured. Speaking of Cypress, she was supporting Audrey as she stumbled along weakly. "I-I know a faster way, if you all know how to ride horses." Audrey said, barely above a whisper. She had enough strength to summon a few horses for the group, but surely she'd pass out afterwards, without a doubt.

"I'm sure we'll figure it out, but I don't see any horses you can communicate with." Barke looked back, and Audrey sent him a weak, coniving smile.

"Wh-who said I had to c-communicate with them?" She laughed softly, and stood up straight, supporting herself on wobbly knees. She closed her eyes, and moved her hands in a sanchronizing pattern, a red glowing light coming from them as she worked. Audrey could feel her strength leaving her.

One horse.

C'mon, you can do this. She told herself mentally, breathing calmly.

Two horses.

Let's go, only a few more.

Four horses, whom all let out a whinnie, giving Audrey encouragement.

Okay, great, only a little bit longer Audie, you got this.

Six.

C'mon!

Seven.

Audrey let out a cry as her knees buckled and she went down, one last horse being summoned.

Good job.

A voice encroached, Audrey sending it a mental smile before darkness enclosed around her.
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

57 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:17 am

Cypress

Oh, god.

I ducked, yet again, to lift Audrey up. My spine shrieked, hissed, screamed in agony, but I bit my lip until it bled and put Audrey on a horse, tying her in. I assigned myself the job of walking by her horse. I could tell some of the others thought I couldn't ride- that wasn't it. Ha, I had stolen a horse and rode it halfway across the city when I was twelve. The reason was... I just didn't want to do anything that required thought right now.

Thoughts wandered, and I was terrified of where my thoughts might drift to.

I touched a finger to my lip as I walked. It came away red. I swore mentally and wiped it on my tattered shirt, pulling my cloak tighter around me. My sword (one of my proudest steals- from a guard, imagine!) banged against my leg, and I held it steady. I winced as another sharp pebble dug into my foot and shook it off. So much for actually bothering to get a pair of boots- I had lost them anyway, running from an angry mob.

I shook my head and starting retying my braids. If I was going to be facing more... adventures, my hair was to be firmly pulled back. I couldn't function with my hair down and in my face. I flicked a pebble off my path with a quick burst of wind, taking some dirt with it. I ran a tongue over my lip again- less bleeding. Less bleeding was good- definitely good.

Still, the coppery taste was bitter on my tongue, and I resisted the urge to spit it out. I tried not to shudder and wiped my mouth, holding onto Audrey with one hand.

Just keep not thinking, and I'd be fine.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:42 am
Razcoon says...

Barke

Glad you're cheered up, or I would have had to sing in my head, and it doesn't sound any better there than it does in real life. I won't even go there.

...What? asks Lulu, confused.

You know...F is for friends that do stuff together, U is for you and me... I start.

Please stop.

N is for anywhere at any time at-

PLEASE stop!

Okay, okay... I thinks she likes me.

I wish I kept the happy feelings away from you! She so likes me...

"At least it got to Cypress," I say.

"What?" asks Cy. Oops, I mixed up my thoughts and words...

"Happiness. Talking to myself, ignore me. By the way, you may as well ride, because it will distract your thoughts rather than start them up..."

She shakes her head defiantly, a little angrily, and I hold up my hands in mock surrender. "Sorry, sorry...just saying..." I hop on a horse and begin to walk it at the pace of everyone else.
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

57 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:53 am

Cypress

I closed my eyes. I almost bit my lip before realizing that it was still bleeding.

I think I'm good. And I don't want to let Audrey fall. Now get out of my head. I thought fiercely, coldness seeping back in. Let's see what's happened to me tonight!

-seen Barke fall for another girl (which does not bother me. DOES NOT. AT ALL.)
-nearly gotten kidnapped by scary red head
-ran five straight miles
-destroyed most of my home
-gotten beaten within inches of my life
-found Barke to be increasingly annoying. As well as life.

Add that to the usual amounts of bitterness and homelessness, and you can't say I had no reason. Because I had plenty. Not to say I thought they didn't -I'm sure none of them were leading the perfect life- but still. I wished none of this had happened. My jaw locked, and I shook my head. Focus on staying conscious, and keeping Audrey on the horse, kay? I nodded to myself.

I tuned out Barke, who was starting to hum his "Fun Song", and turned my eyes down, away from the pretty Lulu and singing Barke. They deserved each other.

I deserved no one.

I blinked and stared at the ground.

Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:07 am
ForsakenAngel says...

Sorry I haven't posted. I tried to read all of the post, or at least skim through them, but none the less I'm still confused. Where are we? Or at least my charrie?
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

57 Reviews

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:11 am

Riding horse back through the woods.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:11 am
Razcoon says...

Barke

Increasingly annoying, wow that's nice. Cy, I'll stay out of your head as much as I can, but thoughts are like second voices to me. If nothing of interest is happening, I unconsciously listen to the nearest ones.

Shut up.

I will, but just listen to me or I'll sound even more annoying than I really am. She sighs, but doesn't answer. You do deserve someone, you know.

That gets her attention. What?!

You know Zabe? He seems to understand you, and I think you two will hit it off pretty nicely... The thoughts I get from Zabe at that moment are less than friendly. It's true, I think to him defensively.

Honestly, I'm gaining a weird rep here for doing nothing. My curiosity led me to Lulu and Zabe, I was nice to a girl who got the wrong idea, and...What am I supposed to do, be a statue?! It's not in my nature to just stand around! If I notice something, I have to help it along. I just do.
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

57 Reviews

Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:23 am
View Likes

Cypress

I almost stopped walking. He was not supposed to be listening to that bit! NO! If I had been nine years younger, I would be screaming and flailing. I paused for a second.

Who's Zabe? I feel a blush creep up my neck.

I think you called him.. what was it... MMV?

Remember how I said blush? Turn that scarlet.

My eyes went wide, my face slightly stunned, and I quickly turned my head down. Left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, don't think, don't think, don't think, don't think, don't think, left, right, left right. Four words, repeated over and over until I was certain that if I opened my mouth, that was all I'd be able to say. Left, right. Don't think. Repeat.

I kept my hand on Audrey's horse's flank, eyes still round. I was now willing to run as far as I could, outside my city, if needed, across the entire nation, over the seas, to the very ends of the world. Nothing was safe from Barke or MM- Zabe. Though Zabe would find ways to occupy himself. Barke, I couldn't vouch for.

I groaned inwardly and kept repeating my mantra, refusing to think about anything else, lest I finally decided, and took off running again, and blacked out a mile from here. That wouldn't be fun. Especially if Barke- or MMV, or Lulu (still thought that name was so...iuck)- was going to "come to my rescue" again.

I did not need that all over.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:17 pm
eldEr says...

Alright... here we go... attempting toooo....

ZABRIEL

"Would you stop squirming?" Zabe hissed in the boy's ear. He had taken it upon himself to ride with the hostage, and the thing wouldn't sit still. "There's no chance you're getting away from us, you're sorely outnumbered. I'm not hurting you so knock it off."

Cheikh started saying something, but Zabe wasn't paying any attention whatsoever. He had blocked everything out in a desperate attempt to block his memories from flooding him. They were tricky things to keep away, but it was possible. If you tried hard enough.

Cypress yawned loudly and Zabe turned to her. She was still walking with her head down. Barke really was relentless wasn't he? His eyes traveled from Cypress to Audrey, who was sitting slumped over on the horse's back. She had made her generosity clear, healing, over-expending herself...

Zabe sighed. And what about his own generosity? Cypress needed to rest, the girl was exhausted and hurt. Zabriel knew how that felt, and seeing somebody else like that was almost unbearable. But he couldn't do anything, he was busy holding squirmy in one spot. Still...

Lu?

What Zabe? Emotions guarded, she was near Barke. Zabe supressed a slight chuckle.

I need you to come ride beside Cheikh, make sure he doesn't try anything cute. I'm switching places with Cypress. He smirked. Barke can up here too, you know...

Zabe imagined Lulu was rolling her eyes at this point, possibly blushing. Cypress won't be happy about that.

Please?

Lulu relented and rode up beside Zabe, who stopped his horse and jumped down before turning to Cheikh. "You try anything on anybody here and so help me I will pin you to a tree with a knife though your throat."

Zabe didn't wait for Cheikh's reply. He turned and walked over to Cypress and Audrey. "Cy, you need a break. Kassie's got the extra horse with her. Please?"

Kassie had the extra horse, didn't she? Zabe checked over his shoulder. Yes, yes she did. It was walking alongside her obediently. Kassie herself was having a conversation with Rule. Rule, who struck so much familiarity with Zabe. That irritating familiarity where you are sure that somebody was a big part of your life way-back, but you just can't place your finger on it. And then there was Wulf, who was further back still, thinking about only-God-knew-what.

He turned back to Cypress. "Please?" he repeated hopefully.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

116 Reviews

Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:37 pm
ForsakenAngel says...

~Kassie~

I heard Zabe say my name, and I looked over at him and away from Rule. He was talking about something, and I wasn't paying much attention. The extra horse was walking next to me, Rule on the other side of the horse. At least that put some distance to us. For some reason, I didn't like him. He was way too...clumsy was it? Or maybe it was just that he had given me away in the first few minutes I met him. Maybe he was nice.

I caught on to what they were talking about up in front of us. The horse. The girl, Cypress was it, needed the horse, and Zabe was trying to get her to take it. I needed to start being nice and think good thoughts. That made me laugh. Yea, OK. I was being rude, but I didn't really care. I didn't belong, nothing tied me here, I had no family that I knew of, I had no one to love, I had nothing, so why was I still here?

The steady movement of the horse was making me tired, and I felt my lids droop, threatening to close completely. I tapped my fingers on my leg as though I was playing the piano or something. I did that when I was scared but no one ever noticed. Why was I scared? If I left, I would be just fine, wouldn't I? Once again I asked myself why I was still here. Only one answer was obvious.

I was scared that these people were more important than I thought, and I was afraid that, once I left, then I really wouldn't have anything. I was terrified that if I left, I would miss out on my real destiny, my true fate. Maybe they were supposed to bring me a family, someone to love me, friends. I was scared I wouldn't have that if I left now.
Hakuna Matata <3

Hop freight or get lost.

57 Reviews

Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:38 pm

Cypress

I was about to refuse it when my legs buckled. Zabe caught my arm, and I mumbled a thanks. He led me to the extra horse. I could tell he was about to try and help me up, but I was already mounted before he could offer a hand. I wrapped my arms around the horse's neck and spurred it gently forward, leaning my cheek against its head.

I let a blanket of air settle over me, ignoring a smirking Barke. Did not want to deal with that right now. I closed my eyes and bent my knees, hoping to get to sleep before another verse of The Fun Song could start it. Barke just didn't give up, did he?

I flashed a quick smile to Zabe before sleep claimed me, and I was dragged into a dream about loaves of bread and fire, falling bricks and shattered glass and braided hair and horses, silks and ribbons, and twine and ferns. Random words, random names of things, people, places I couldn't remember, anything that had once crossed my mind was occupying it now.

I woke once or twice to find we were still walking along. Several others had fallen asleep, and Barke was drowsily singing about uranium. I managed a chuckle before falling back asleep, into more dreams where I had to build a wall out of twine and golden wind catchers.

Strange what memories and thoughts your dreams dug up.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:15 pm
eldEr says...

ZABRIEL

The Fun Song had made it into Zabriel's head. It was now nesting there, repeating itself over and over... a new verse added every time Barke sang it. Lulu was half-laughing, half begging Barke to stop. Cheihk looked like he was going to scream any second now. Barke really knew how to keep this kind of thing going, didn't he? Question was, for how much longer?

Zabe looked over his shoulder to check on the others. Kassie looked about ready to pass out, as did Rule. Wulf was just riding, unreadable. Cypress was sleeping soundly enough... Voices, faces... Don't you dare butt into her dreams! Zabe scolded himself. But he just couldn't resist. He also had a hard time resisting contorting both Cy's and Audrey's dreams into scenes of the city. Dreams of acceptance.

Movement caught Zabe's ttention and his head snapped to Cheihk's direction. His hand was moving ever so slowly towards his dagger. Zabriel glared hard at him, a limb from the tree over Cheikh's head stretching for the dagger. Zabe grinned as it wound itself around the weapon and pulled it free of the boy's belt.

Tut Tut. None of that now. Zabe scolded. Cheikh's head turned, eyes narrowed at Zabe, who winked, a slight smile pulling at the edges of his mouth. "Through the throat," he reminded him quietly.

Barke had stopped singing for a moment. Most (being the ones who weren't sleeping) were staring at the branch. Lulu and Zabriel shared a slight laugh.

"That yours Zabe?" Barke asked quietly.

Zabe snickered. "But of course."

"So very formal, Zabe," Lulu chided.

"You of all people should be used to my Zabe-talk."

"You sound like your mentor."

Zabe chuckled. "I always sound like Farix." He turned to Barke and changed the subject before question were arroused. "You got that song stuck in my head. Thanks."

Barke laughed and started singing yet another verse. Zabe shook his head and couldn't help but join in. Lulu groaned, as did Kassie and Rule. Cheikh looked about ready to strangle somebody.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

116 Reviews

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:47 pm
ForsakenAngel says...

~Kassie~

I groaned, getting off the horse. I was tired and soar, but I didn't have any wanting to dream about the fun song.

"Would you shut up already?" I snapped, putting my hand on my head. I didn't feel good at all, my stomach hurt, and my head was killing me. My forehead was burning hot, and I imagined my face was bright red. I felt dizzy, but I tried to keep myself from falling down right there. Maybe I was just tired. I wasn't sure, but I needed to sit down.

My legs failed me, and I was on the ground sitting before I knew it. I closed my eyes, holding my stomach and groaning. I didn't want to tell anyone, but I'd been feeling this for a while now. If anyone asked, I was alright.
Hakuna Matata <3

Hop freight or get lost.

A memorandum isn't written to inform the receiver, but to protect the writer.
— Dean Acheson