z

Young Writers Society

Against the Shadows

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:40 am
SisterItaly says...

*saw that some one made a dragon SB, and it inspired me, that and the fact i secretly love dragons**I give full creditfor my inspiration to the people from Dragon Riders II: Revenge of the Riders I never read your work, now that i have i feel like an idiot gah! SORRY!!!! SO REALLY SORRY! Dreamy115,WhiteTiger93, Kelcia, and KinettaAlettaThyra *
PLOT

You live in a world, full of fear and hate. People called shadow riders rule your land. They control everything... Your families, your schools, they basically control your life. Any who attempt to rebel are taken away and hung for treason against the shadow king, who rides the cruelest shadow dragon. They wouldn't be so tough, if they didn't control the skies with there monstrous dragons.

They took over ten years ago, over running the king and killing him. The enforced their rules, it was their way or death from the start. No one knows where they came from... no one knows why they're doing this... and for the longest time, no one knew of dragons. They sure do know.

You are one of few people who have been born, differently. Your eyes are a odd color and for your entire life, up until your late teens you never feel like you fit in with people. One day a dragon appears on your lawn, you automatically feel a connection. When you walk over you realise the dragons scales are the same color as your eyes... and the dragon responds to you. Once you finally reach out and touch the dragon the bond is made. You feel exhilarated and have to go for a ride. The dragon takes you soaring though the clouds, far away from your village. You arrive at a camp in the middle of the mountains, a sanctuary the shadow riders do not know of.

This is where you will train. You need to learn to fly your dragon, and how to fight on it. You realise the bond with your dragon is unbreakable, and you will soon come to realise you can't live without your dragon. Question is, are you up for the challenge?

RULES
Uh... the normal SB rules and YWS's rule of course...
please try and keep the guy/girl ratio even...
No descriptive sex scenes, i don't care how in love your character is we don't want the detail...
You MUST make a profile for your dragon, but you don't have to post as the dragon.
you can post as the dragon if you need/want to

CHARACTER TEMPLATE

Rider
Name:

Appearance:

Eyes:

Personality:

History:

Likes/Strengths:

Hates/Weaknesses:

Up for love:

Other:

Dragon
Name:

Personality:

Appearance: (remember, scales are the same color as eyes)

Likes/Strengths:

Hates/Weaknesses:

Other:

*griffinkeeper is the ONLY one allowed to have a gryphon...but of course if people asked nicely i'd probably say yes to them to*

MAP
Spoiler! :
Last edited by SisterItaly on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

66 Reviews

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:05 am
SisterItaly says...

Rider
Name:
Emma

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Eyes: Sorry the pics so big
Spoiler! :

Personality: She is the all work and no play type, she tries to make sure that everyone finishes what they should be. People tell her she needs to let loose, but she never has time for that. Once she has her mind set on something she works hard to get it. If/when she does let loose she's the life of they party!

History: She grew up in her village, living like everyone else, in great fear. She always worked hard, making sure everyone got food and had everything they needed. She was so young when they took over, only seven. She had never seen so much anguish and suffering before. She always tried to make sure everyone was happy, often sacrificing her own happiness. Even though she did help her village, she never really felt like she belonged there.

Likes: Her family, her dragon, seeing people happy, getting things done right the first time. Strengths: doesn't know when to quiet (kinda both), she's pretty strong, has a great temper and she's very kind hearted

Hates: Shadow riders, shadow dragons, seeing people suffer, being forced to give up. Weaknesses: She doesn't know when to quit, she has a pain in her right shoulder due to injury when she was young, if she feels there has been injustice she does whatever it takes to make things right... which usually results in a fight.

Up for love:CHA-YA!

Other: She talks in her sleep, a lot, and pretty loudly
Dragon
Name:
Adofo (it means warrior)

Personality: Much like his rider's, but a little more aggressive and impatient.

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Likes: Flying, fighting, seeing justice, other dragons (not shadow), water, and the night air on his scales Strengths: he's a fast flier and a quick learner, very compassionate

Hates: Shadow dragons, evil, destruction, death, seeing people cry, having to sit still for to long Weaknesses: doesn't know his own strength, can be very loud, often doesn't think before he acts, very impatient

Other: Is very defensive of the riders
Last edited by SisterItaly on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

The Book.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:37 am
NinjaCookieMonster says...

I shall join! Huzzah!

RIDER

Name: Leila Floisey (lie-lah floy-see)

Appearance: Black hair, slim, violet eyes.

Spoiler! :

Eyes: violet, as seen above. They have flecks of silver and blue in them.

Personality: Quiet, but sweet. Is very tough, and a little insecure, but won't hesitate to help a cause she believes in. Not shy.

History: Lei grew up on a farm. She's educated enough, though. She was the youngest of the family, and the only girl at that, but she was put to work in the fields anyway. She had a knack for knowing exactly how to plant and harvest for every kind of weather without even being instructed, and no one questioned that.

As time progressed, she started hunting for her family as well, bringing in bigger hauls than any male in the village. At twelve, she found out she wasn't her parents' child- they were just her aunt and uncle. She lost her entire family to an accident in town a week ago, and was tending to the farm so she could eat when her dragon landed, and she took off with it.

Strengths: is stable when flying, great hunter, fast, strong, good fighter.

Hates: being lost, failing, small spaces, not knowing things, hunger.

Weaknesses: gets lightheaded, useless with a shield (they get in her way), doesn't think things out, not good with politics, a wee bit violent.

Up for love: You know it!

Other: Doesn't like dresses and skirts, but will wear them if forced.

DRAGON

Name: Anlori

Personality: Patient, outgoing, bold and fun loving. Anlori loves action and fun, and will always be there for Lei. However, she is positively ruthless with enemies and cold to strangers.

Appearance: Except her tail doesn't have that mace-thingy (and beware, pic's big) :

Spoiler! :

Likes: flying, cool wind, breathing fire, belly rubs, cooked meat (she's weird like that.)

Strengths: good flyer, usually relaxed, good fighter, fast, loving.

Hates: thick chains, rust, mushrooms, fear, bread.

Weaknesses: panics sometimes, proud, can't maneuver well in trees, bit violent, stubborn.

Other: loves swimming and butterflies. Thought you should know.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:46 am
sillyducky says...

Rider
Name: Rae Fuller

Appearance: There's a picture.

Eyes:
tHEre's a pictuer.
Personality: Shy but unusually strong. Never gets cold, never shows mercy, and never feels pain.
History: She's lived a normal life as a thief until the dragon comes.

Likes/Strengths: Her dragon and her are especially close... Her lack of mercy and the fact that she doesn't get cold and doesn't feel pain.

Hates/Weaknesses: She doesn't hate much except for damsels in distress.

Up for love: Yes

Other: Not much other...

Dragon
Name: Flight

Personality: The exact opposite of Rae. Feels pain vividly, gets cold easily, and is very merciful and outgoing.

Appearance: (remember, scales are the same color as eyes) There's a picture.

Likes/Strengths: His compassion and ability to love.

Hates/Weaknesses: He hates cruel people, and cannot be unmerciful, so he often disobeys what Rae wants.

Other: Not much other......

Sorry it was so short....
Attachments
Belayar___Green_Dragon_by_shar_vampire.jpg
Belayar___Green_Dragon_by_shar_vampire.jpg (953.03 KiB) Viewed 856 times
stevemccurryafghangirl.jpg
stevemccurryafghangirl.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Last edited by sillyducky on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Writing's a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia E.L. Doctorow
I've always believed that writing advertisements is the second most profitable form of writing. The first is ransom notes Philip Dusenberry
I'm so clever that I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying Oscar Wilde

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:47 am
sillyducky says...

hehe, whoops, the dragon's too big :P
Writing's a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia E.L. Doctorow
I've always believed that writing advertisements is the second most profitable form of writing. The first is ransom notes Philip Dusenberry
I'm so clever that I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying Oscar Wilde

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:42 am
ForsakenAngel says...

Rider
Name:
Kassie

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Eyes:
Spoiler! :

Personality: She is a very smart girl, young, but smart, and very strong. She is good at a lot of things, such as fighting. She is a warrior, but she can cook, clean, and sew too. She likes to keep to herself, but she loves to talk too.

History: She only remembers some things. She remembers that her dad was abusive to her and her mother, and one day, her mom ran away, but left Kassie with her dad. She still hopes that one day she finds her mom, and she hopes that she still feels guilty for leaving her. Her dad died when she was 8.

Likes/Strengths: She can fight really good, cook, sew, clean, and she's very friendly once you get to know her. She loves animals, nature, the moon, the sound of a wolf's howl, and dragons.

Hates/Weaknesses: She doesn't really hate anything, except obnoxious people. She gets really sad when people talk about their parents and their families, because she doesn't have one, and never really had one.

Up for love: No derr!

Other: hm...I'll get back to you on that...

Dragon
Name:
Aurora

Personality: Acts like Kassie does

Appearance: (remember, scales are the same color as eyes)
Spoiler! :

Likes/Strengths: Flying at night, looking at the moon, Kassie. She is a fierce fighter with sharp teeth.

Hates/Weaknesses: She hates dragons that are bigger than her, though that's not easy to find. She doesn't normally fly without Kassie, unless she has to.

Other: none!
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:48 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Name: Telemos

Race: Gryphon

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Background: Telemos is a member of the Mountain Eyrie. It's dominion includes a large section of mountain range, a part of which is used by the Dragon Riders. Usually the gryphons operate independently from the Dragon Riders, Telemos on the other hand has been assigned to the Dragon Riders as a representative of the Eyrie. He'll serve as a scout; his small profile and keen eyes allow him quite an advantage. He is also a very capable warrior; fast and agile enough to make him dangerous to a dragon and one of the few that can take them on single handedly. He's old enough to remember what the world was like before the Shadow Dragons and has seen the devastation they have wrought.

Personality: He was chosen as a representative because he was wise and patient, both useful traits for dealing with the new riders. He will not let anyone ride him and doesn't seem to understand why dragons would ever act so "domesticated." He is easy to get along with and is curious about the dragon riders; he tries to see whatever the dragons see in them. In combat, he'll wait for the right moment, then knock out the enemy with a single daring strike.

Hates: Swimming, Shadow Dragons, Thunderstorms, and generally being wet.

Strengths: Extremely agile, he is able to accelerate and turn faster than the other dragons. This allows him to dodge the fire and come close to engage at point blank range.

Weaknesses: He isn't nearly as tough as the dragons he flies with. He is hard to hit, but when he does get hit, he stands a good chance of being knocked out of the sky. The longer the engagement goes, the less likely he'll be to win it.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:55 am
ForsakenAngel says...

I read the very tiny print AMU, but I'm not going to ask nicely, because I don't wont one :D but can we start now PLEASE!!!
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:11 pm
ScarlettFire says...

I'm in. With a guy. Back soon with a profile.

Rider
Name: Dismas

Appearance: Tall with black hair.
Spoiler! :

Eyes: Vivid silver. (Ignore the fact that it's clearly not a guys eye...)
Spoiler! :

Personality: Although Dismas appears to be a jerk at first glance, he's actually really nice and a bit of a flirt, and a little shy. He doesn't like to see those he cares about hurt and is sometimes very fierce, especially in battle (even though he hates fighting). He knows when to keep his mouth shut and would never rat out his friends: it would take some serious torture to make him talk...or turn traitor. He's smart and can usually predict his opponents next move during a fight.

History: Dimas grew up on the fringes of a small city. Both his parents died when he was around seven, killed by the shadows. The man his mother was married to abandoned him before he was born and ever since he was living with his Aunt until a shadow rider killed her about a year ago. He now owns his Aunt's house. Around the time his aunt was killed, the old prince (who was now just a peasant as well) tried to kill him because 'he didn't like the way Dimas looked at him'. Since his aunt's death and the ex-prince's attack, Dimas has mostly kept to himself, only going into the city for supplies and sometimes food. He awoke one morning to find a dragon in his barn.

Likes/Strengths: Likes his dragon, flying (once he gets over his fear of heights), freedom, peace and forests. Strengths; Surprisingly, he's pretty good with a sword and a bow and arrow. He's quick on his feet, smart and sometimes very kind.

Hates/Weaknesses: Hates heights, war/fighting, weapons, famine, death, destruction, evil and the shadows (enemy dragons & riders). Weakness: His dragon. If Fern or Dimas get hurt, they both suffer and killing Dimas would kill both. He's also a little impatient when it comes to waiting-he just can't stay still.

Up for love: Yes.

Other: He has a scar over his heart from when the old king's son tried to kill him. He's also got a secret-his real father was the king the shadows killed.

Dragon
Name: Fern.

Personality: Fern is a little shy and very kind. She's fiercely loyal and fierce in battle, but lacks the skill to really prove a danger. She's smart and loves to sneak around, which makes her deadly in closed in surroundings (such as forests). She hates to see Dimas and anyone she likes hurt and has a horrid temper. She's also impatient, always in motion and loves to cause trouble and teasing other dragons (not the shadows). If Fern is quiet and thoughtful, you just know she's plotting something or up to no good.

Appearance: (remember, scales are the same color as eyes) A lot darker than this...
Spoiler! :

Likes/Strengths: Likes flying, swimming, breathing fire, heights, mountains, forests and fish. Strengths; she's fast (both in the air, on land and in the water), agile, very smart and very loyal to her rider. Water is her element, forests are her domain.

Hates/Weaknesses: Hates the enemy, fighting and war. Weakness: Though she's a fast when flying and really smart, she lacks fighting ability. She tends to rush into things.

Other: Fern has a scar down the side of her mouth and winding under her jaw. No one knows how she got it.
Last edited by ScarlettFire on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:41 pm
Chupatoasta says...

I claim a guy as well... I'll post when I get back from Color Guard / Band practice
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

57 Reviews

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:46 pm
Junglelover says...

Rider
Name: Michael

Appearance:
hot.jpg
hot.jpg (16.08 KiB) Viewed 739 times

Eyes:
Teal_Eye_by_Midnight_Dark_Angel.jpg
Teal_Eye_by_Midnight_Dark_Angel.jpg (57.43 KiB) Viewed 739 times

Work with me, pretend that this is a male's eye

Personality:

History: moves around a lot, ever since he was 14

Likes/Strengths: Kato, Flying, heights, being himself.

Hates/Weaknesses:

Up for love: I guess

Other:

Dragon
Name: Kato

Personality: gentile, brave and strong, He is a huge, huge dragon, so often he feels clumsy around other dragons.

Appearance:
1228081492_black-dragon.jpg
1228081492_black-dragon.jpg (114.37 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Now let's pretend that she is the same color as his eyes, I couldn't find a teal color dragon

Likes/Strengths: Michael, Flying, fighting, hunting,

Hates/Weaknesses:

Other:
Last edited by Junglelover on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Charlie Bucket: You can eat the grass?
Willy Wonka: Of course you can! Everything in this room is eatable, even *I'm* eatable! But that is called "cannibalism," my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:37 pm
eldEr says...

Rider
Name: Zachery Char (Likes to be called Errie for reasons nobody knows)

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Eyes:
Spoiler! :

Personality: He's the charming gentleman that was raised by very strict parents. He's very polite and well-mannered, all thanks to his parents. He can get arrogant at times, but for the most part he's quite sweet. He likes to think excessively about things and likes to prove others wrong. He can get very defensive over the ones he loves and will do anything to keep them safe.

History: He grew up as an only child with extremely strict parents. His father was a poet and his mother was an artist. He lost his hearing at 12 in an accident that nearly took his life.
His uncle trained him in martial arts and kickboxing, but this was secretive. His parents were completely unaware that their son was turning into a very good fighter. He also did a little fencing and swordsmanship.
His uncle was killed by Shadows one year ago. His uncle was also the one who taught him how to read lips and sign laungauge. Zachery misses him dearly.

Likes/Strengths: He likes girls, reading, he's very smart, martial arts, boxing, romance, canines, arts, poetry, he's a very good fighter though his parents never knew this and is very quick on his feet.

Hates/Weaknesses: Not getting his way, immature men, sick-minded jokes (his parents taught him well), people who mock him for liking poetry and romance and his eye-colour. He's deaf, but he doesn't take it as a real weakness. He suffers from migranes and dizziness that people believe are linked to the accident and his deafness, though he thinks otherwise.

Up for love: Most certainly

Other: He knows sign language, but he doesn't like it. He can read lips very well and can still talk, and it's rarely slurred. He has to scars running side-by-side from his left eye to the base of his neck, which were from the accident.

Dragon
Name: Gabby

Personality: She's very gentle and incredibly protective over her master. She's quite well mannered, though she can get fierce when in battle.

Appearance: (remember, scales are the same color as eyes) Her, but a little brighter.
Spoiler! :

Likes/Strengths: She absolutely loves sweets. She's an excellent fighting dragon and is very swift and agile. She is incredibly fast at flying.

Hates/Weaknesses: She's quite a clutz on-foot... heh

Other: She has a strange birth-mark under her left eye in the shape of a rose.
Last edited by eldEr on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

66 Reviews

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:32 pm
SisterItaly says...

EMMA

This feeling was... extraordinary! People say I need to let loose, I don't think I could be any more 'loose' without falling apart! I gripped Adofo's horns just a little tighter. I didn't understand, how did i know his name? I let go of one horn and patted his head. Then i started feeling courageous and threw my hands up, letting out a delighted and excited yell.
"Woot!" The dragon,almost sounded like he was... laughing? I gripped his horns again, as we soared high above the clouds. He snorted and did a barrel roll.I laughed in delight. Then an odd feeling hit me, a feeling like you know your life is about to change for ever.

I could see the mountains coming into view from a cloud break. Adofo dived for it, i screamed out. It almost felt like falling! I could see other dragons, and people riding them, like me. We were all heading for the same place. I leaned forward as Adofo headed for between the mountains. I could see bright tents all set up and ready, a fire was started, and a single older looking man stood in the middle of the clearing where the dragons were heading. Two of the dragons landed before us, the jolt almost made me fall off Adofo. Why were we here? After everyone landed the old man took a step forward and greeted us.
"Welcome riders. I am known by many names, all of which you will learn in time. I'll give you all a few moments to get settled in and pick your tents." He said gesturing towards the brightly colored tents. "Then socialize amongst yourselves. Training starts early tomorrow." He said turning to walk off. One of them took a step forward and asked.
"Training for what?" I was curious as to what to... The old man chuckled and answered without turning around.
"All in good time, young one, all in good time." and with that he walked into one of the tents. Leaving us alone.

I walked over to one of the tents and looked in. There was a cot, a small nightstand, a wash basin and a rug covering the floor. I pulled my head back out of the tent, pointing into it.
"I call this one." I said walking in. I had been out in the field planting seeds when Adofo landed and found me. Everyone else was terrified, but i walked up and investigated. He was astounding! I placed a hand on his scales and felt exhilarated! So i hopped on and went for the ride, and now here i am. I placed the bag of corn seeds down on the night stand. Time to go make some friends Emma. I didn't even know them yet, but i felt as if... i belonged!

The Book.

57 Reviews

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:44 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Leila

I looked at Anlori. I had found out her name on the flight over. She shrugged her massive shoulders and beat her wings a couple of times. We walked over to another tent. I peeped in- a hammock, a basin, some other things I didn't feel like recognizing. "Me and An got this one!" I shouted, scratching An's back. She purred and arched her body. I smiled.

I had been harvesting some corn when Anlori had landed, light bouncing off her scales and her tail nearly knocking me over. I had approached her slowly, hand on my knife. She had practically rammed her head into my hand, and I had felt every ounce of common sense leave my body. I had scrambled onto her back, right between two spikes, and she had taken off. I had no possessions I cared about; this was fine. She had sent the thought into my mind- My name is Anlori.

I was snapped out of my reverie by Anlori poking her muzzle in, blowing a puff of warm air on my back. Can I come in?

"Yeah, just be careful." She slunk in, her wings tightly folded against her spine. I rubbed her head and closed my eyes.

Time for the farm girl to find friends.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:50 pm
eldEr says...

ZACHERY CHAR

I clung to Gabby's horns, eyes wide for the first few minutes of flight. Okay, how do I know her name? I wondered to myself. Then again, what did it matter? My heart pounded with something different than fear. Adrenaline? Maybe... I loosened my grip slightly, watching the world fly by me. I felt invincible, not even a Shadow could touch me now!

I laughed, then I hollered. I let go of Gabby's horns entirely, using my legs to hang on. There were others, too. Quite a few. I would have noticed them earlier, but unlike them, I wasn't able to hear their approaches. I was starting to wonder just how loud I was hollering. I always wondered things like that. How loud is this? How quiet is that?

Gabby's body tensed for a moment and I grabbed onto her horns as she went upside down. Barrell roll, flip, barrell roll. I was hollering, terrified and overjoyed all at the same time. If only Uncle Dacen could see me now! I thought as Gabby went back straight again. Of course this time I wasn't going to let go of her horns. Nope, not in a million years.

It wasn't long before we landed, much to my dismay. I slid off of Gabby's back on shaky legs as a man approached and gave a very vague introduction of himself. It was almost hard to catch it all, but I managed. Go find a tent? Easy enough.

I stumbled towards one and took a look inside. A decent cot, a shelf, desk, chairs. The desk even had a few old-looking books on it and a pen. I looked out. "Mine!" I called quickly. The earth vibrated slightly and I looked up at Gabby. She wanted something by the looks of it... I stroked her scaly snout and smiled. I'd like to welcome you. I jumped back, startled. Gabby seemed to grin at me.

"Well that was...odd..." I mumbled.

I know. Gabby winked.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.
— Captain Jack Sparrow