Young Writers Society

Rousseau's Academy for Vampire Hunters

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:18 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Kassia:

Lucius was talking to himself. I tried to ignore him... The headmaster was still watching me, I could feel his eyes on my back. The older man cleared his throat and spoke, "Well, that was interesting..."

"No, it wasn't," I snapped. "It's horrid. It's vile... It's evil! And it's me and there's nothing I can do about it."

I looked at Lucius where he lay, murmuring in his daze. "Thank you, Kassia," he muttered and drifting off. I looked away again, disgusted with myself.

"It's disgusting.... It sickens me."

"It was fascinating," the Headmaster argued. I sighed and turned towards him, sliding my legs off the bed. "We could learn a lot from watching you feed... We could pinpoint the weak spots, find new ways to fight the vampires!" He looked like he was going to start rambling...so I glared at him.

"I am not letting the other Academy students watch me feed!" I shouted and pointed at Lucius. "You would let the others see someone like....like....this? Like that? So out of it that they can't even think straight? You sicken me, Headmaster, and I will not be a freak show."

The Headmaster stared at me, eyes wide. I slowly stood up, glancing down at the stitches in my wrist. The wound had healed, leaving the stitches untouched. I looked around for a moment, found a pair of scissors next to the bed and cut the stitches, wincing as I pulled them out. The wounds they left behind slowly healed.

When I looked up, the Headmaster was watching me again. I chucked the scissors onto the floor. They skidded across the floor and hit one of his shoes. He glanced down at them and then back up at me.

"Keep an eye on him," I said sourly, jerking a thumb towards Lucius. "I don't know about you, but I'm going hunting."

"So soon...?"

I gave the old man a cold stare. "Yes," I stated flatly. "I can smell blood....other than mine and his." I brushed past him, turned right and walked off down the hall. The smell of blood got stronger. It was both fresh and old. I scrunched up my noise at the smell.

The Headmaster was following me, I could hear him. We reached the front entrance, the main one and stopped. Blood was smeared all over the glass. Dull sunlight streaked through the windows, tinged with red. I glanced towards the Headmaster and stepped forward to open the doors.

There was a student on the steps, I could tell he'd once been like me.....but now he was all black and blue and bleeding... He had day old wounds and fresh ones..... And his heart wasn't beating.

I gasped and pressed back against the wall outside, staring at the growing pool of blood. The Headmaster crouched down next to the...body, and suddenly I felt my heartbeat pick up.... And that was when the shuddering starting, the shaking. The bloodlust. Damn it, Adrian.... Damn, damn, damn.

"I have to go," I muttered and vanished into the shadows, forcing myself to run. How many was that now? Three? Four? Blood-lusts attacks in one day.... Not good. I had to talk to someone... Probably a vampire. I had to ask how they did it, how they resisted the blood....

Adrian. He was the best bet. I had to talk to him....and he still had my last dagger. I changed direction, heading for the nearest nest. I had a reason to see him, other than my little blood-lust problems.

The sun had set by the time I reached Declan's nest and began pounding on the door. Sometime during my run it had started raining, and I was soaked. Eventually someone answered the door.

"I have...have to...." I blurted and paused, catching my breath. "I have to see Adrian. I have to talk to him."
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:21 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Lee

I howled.

And that wasn't even the worst of it.

I was loping. And growling.

It wasn't bad that I was doing this- it was bad that it was against my will. I couldn't stop myself now. The wolf inside me had taken control, and I was just its vehicle. I hated this. I sobbed a little through a snarl, threw my head back and howled again. I kept running; the wolf had enough since to head for the trees- the park.

I thought I saw Kassia along the way, and I thought she might've seen me. I hoped to god she didn't. No one should see me like this, not even the best hunter we had. I bounded into the forest, and everything was a blur. Green, gray, and black streaks whipped by my vision. I reached the highest point in the field and howled, with everything in me.

I let my soul loose into that cry- the pain, the stress, the fear, everything. My side wound ripped open, and I yelped in pain. I kept running, but this time, I was limping, and blood matted my fur. I howled, as loud as I could- "Help! Please, help!"

To no avail.

I cried out, and the human part of me cried. I stopped and howled again. When I howled, something in me clicked. Like I knew that howling made me a part of something. I had to ignore the burning pain in my side to howl. Had to forget that as a human, no one liked me. Had to realize that the wolf is the predator, and predator always prevails. Always.

I clung to those thoughts tightly. I curled up in a ball in the shadow of a big oak and whimpered and howled until clouds covered up the moon again. I sprinted to my apartment, going off pure fear, the last remnants of wolf inside me pressing me forward, knowing this was what I had to do.

When I reached the apartment, I collapsed.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:19 pm
Lumi says...

Adrian

The minute the sun's filtered, shaded rays left his bed, he awoke. Adrian stirred and stretched out his legs before taking his feet to the cold floor, gave his shoulders a crackling stretch, and opened his eyes to a man in the mirror, luminous and frozen in the void of the night. Soundlessly he fumbled through his tiny closet, retrieving the least crimson of his clothes for the night's patrol. After all, it wasn't every day that Declan called for a scouting of the entire city.

If a hunter sneezed, they'd know it.

But before he could adorn his shirt, a knock came to the door. He should've seen it coming, at least.

The scent was unmistakably Kassia's. And so he moved to answer the door, but stopped as a voice met the scent in the threshold. Jolene could handle a hybrid for a moment. Distractions. Jolene was good at distractions.

From the kitchen, her voice was flat and annoyed. She had probably been awake all day, poor thing. But no one paid enough for a good sentinel.

"Perhaps you're lost, little girl..." Adrian could almost see Jolene's dead, colorless lips form the words, her empty eyes relaying fury and inferno into Kassia's soul. And the thought made him grin. With an apple in-hand, Adrian left the kitchen and began to carve the ruby fruit, stopping once he stood behind Jolene in the doorway. Like water, the apple gave way under Kassia's blade.

"We don't typically eat girl scout cookies here, dear..." He took a slice of the fruit and bit down, keeping his eyes on Kassia's as she just stared ahead.

"I need..." she paused, either gathering courage or swallowing vicious pride. "I need to speak with you." Her eyes furiously met Jolene's. "Alone."

Jolene peered over her shoulder at Adrian, resting her weary head on his bare chest. Adrian gave a nod and pressed his lips to her forehead before whispering, "Go."

As his red eyes turned back to Kassia, Jolene took her swift leave, leaving the two alone in the doorway. Adrian took another bite of his apple and closed the door behind him, resting his back against the wood. "How may I help you tonight, Miss Kassia?" The vampire grinned and watched her wavering gaze. "Did you like the cupboard so much that you just had to come back for another round?"

Kassia sneered and swiped out her hand, snatching her dagger out of the man's hand. He laughed, making his chest heave with deep breaths. But Kassia didn't seem pleasant at all. "Thanks to you, I keep falling victim to my own blood lust." The harshness from her eyes melted away and Adrian suddenly imagined what she was about to say. "I need..." And again she swallowed her pride. "I need help."

Naturally, his instincts pointed him to Declan. But the sudden memory of having his wrist broken one night returned to him, bringing his eyes to the wrist in question...just to make sure it was okay. Adrian shook his head, looking across his shoulder to the windows. No one was near enough to hear them. And Declan was finally asleep...he thought. So Adrian took a step off of the building's stoop and took Kassia by the hand, pulling her over his shoulder to carry her as he sprinted through the alleyways ahead.

When he stopped, they were a safe mile away, where his flame-red eyes could violate hers until he knew the truth. "It's your father."

Kassia raised an eyebrow, putting a hand on her wrist where the slit once was. Adrian nodded.

"Consider the nature of a vampire, Kassia..." His voice penetrated the dark night like a razor through tender flesh. He neared her, pacing behind her as she merely stood in silence, frozen in revelation. "We break the natural and feed on the life of prior nature." Kassia shivered and Adrian stepped up behind her, his chest against her shoulders. "What is inside of you, we've known since your birth," he smiled, breathing in the dark aroma of her veins, "will consume your lesser half."

Kassia's muscles tensed under his touch, giving lean-way for a seeming escape as he spread his lips to show his fangs. "It's only a matter of time, really."
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:37 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Kassia:

Adrian smiled, revealing his fangs and I shivered, trying to ignore him. "It's only a matter of time, really."

I fingered my dagger. Consume my lesser half? That wouldn't be the... I swallowed and cut off that line of thought. Adrian chuckled. I felt his breath on the back of my neck.

"At least five times," I said. Adrian's laughter died and he came around in front of me again. "In two days. I've lost it at least five times, Adrian, in two days. And I bit Lucius... That can't be good."

I stared straight ahead, registering his thoughtful expression. So my father is to blame for this, I thought and closed my eyes. How much longer could I hold out for?

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked and opened my eyes. Adrian was watching me, frowning. I frowned back. "Are you going to help me? I need..." I swallowed again and his eyes followed the movement. "I need help, okay? Are you going to help me or not?"

He was watching me closely. I noticed that I was still shaking, and worse than before. My dagger clattered to the ground and I looked down at my hands, which shook badly. I clenched my hands into fists.

"This can't go on much longer," I whispered, staring past my hands at my dagger. "I don't want to hurt my friends at the Academy... I'm... I'm a danger to everyone I care about." I felt my eyes start watering and unclenched my hands, covering my face, and I let the tears fall, not caring what Adrian thought of me at that exact moment. "I'm a monster," I sobbed.

57 Reviews

Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Lee

The pain was immeasurable.

Arms, legs, face scraped and bruised, bleeding and battered. Muscles sore, bones aching, and gashes ripping open my skin. And my side... I can't begin to describe how much it hurt. Not only was there a possibly fatal gash wrapping around my right side, I was certain a few of my ribs were cracked. I couldn't help but cry, but the salt in my tears made the cuts and scrapes sting.

I was going to die.

I could feel my consciousness ebbing, my life force slipping away. NO! I would not give in! NO! I tried to get up, but my legs buckled, and I fell. Sobbing, I dragged myself across the floor. I wrapped my hand around a roll of gauze- I had taken to keeping them closer.

With shaking hands, I unrolled a length of the cloth and wrapped it around my torso- the lower half of my shirt had been torn off in the switch. I was trembling all over- it was hard just to wrap it, let alone secure it. I bound my arms too, and parts of my legs. I put a bandage or two on my face and crawled onto the couch, whimpering and crying in pain.

I tried to ignore it, forget the pain was even there. But even breathing meant a shift in my body, and chafing my skin. I couldn't escape the pain, or the fact that my energy was draining with every beat my heart took. I almost wanted to die- but I wouldn't. I refused. I would not give in.

Annaleya Night does not give in.

I bit my lip until it bled and closed my eyes tightly. No.... I will.... not.... die.... you.... WILL....NOT....DIE!

I gave a yell and stood. My legs were shaking violently, but I clenched my fists until my nails dug into them so hard they almost cut my palm. I took one step, and another. On the third, I fell, carpet burning my shoulder. I sobbed and pulled myself up again.

I. Would. Not. Give. In.

NOT. EVER.

And definitely not now.
Last edited by NinjaCookieMonster on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:02 pm
Lumi says...

Adrian

"This can't go on much longer," she sobbed out her confession, covering her face with her hands to hide herself away. Adrian watched, not sure of how to respond.

"I don't want to hurt my friends at the Academy... I'm... I'm a danger to everyone I care about." In his head, he imagined the possible outcomes: Kassia, who he had known since she was born, would break down, lose her mind, and probably kill herself in the end. But at the same time, she would have her newborn feast on every vampire hunter at the Academy. And suddenly, the lack of Kassia in his life had a silver lining. So he stood still and kept his blood-red eyes on her as she sobbed.

"I'm a monster..." A pitiful noise rose up from her chest and she heaved the grievous sound out as she sobbed harder. Adrian bit down on his bottom lip, slicing the skin apart to release cold blood. And he stepped forward, battling within himself on Kassia's behalf. It all reminded him of his death bed where he laid alone, waiting for anything to snap within him. But what was it that brought him through his transformation...?

The mercy of Declan.

Adrian swallowed a hard lump in his throat, kneeling down to pick up the silver dagger. He spun the blade in his hand for a moment before peering up from his grounded position at Kassia, watching her as she smeared the remainders of her tears across her eyes. And there was such a sadness inside of her. Such a deadly sadness. Adrian looked off from Kassia and watched as a black cat crossed the alleyway, tapping a tiny paw on the seeming corpse of a pigeon. And just as the cat swung down to nab its meal, the bird flew off, unharmed.

"Kassia..." The feathery edge of his voice in the bleak night took him by surprise, but he continued, turning his violent eyes upon hers once more. "If I had found out about this by any other means... If you wouldn't have..." He choked on the word, "swayed me..." Adrian stood up, grimacing as she sobbed once more. "I would have let you wallow in your destructiveness."

He looked away again, fighting off both thirst and vengeance--neither of which Declan was particularly proud of--and pursed his lips. "During your hunts, find hospitals; find morgues." She lifted her head up to his face and he shook his head, watching her once more. "Find any place with newly deceased humans."

But her eyes were wide and horrified and Adrian had lost his nerve, so he shook his head. "I can't teach you how to fight off who you truly are because it is impossible." He nodded. "But I can teach you how to ease your spirit."
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:44 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Kassia:

I stared at him, eyes wide. He...he was suggesting... No way. I would not do that... I wiped my eyes. Wait, he was going to help me...even a little bit? I paused, horrified. I was becoming a vampire. Like him.

"How can you even suggest that?" I gasped. "You're cruel..." I shook my head. "I won't prey on humans!"

Adrian sighed and tilted his head to one side. "You're going to, one day." I glared at him. "After all, you're becoming one of us."

I closed my eyes and counted to five before opening them again. Adrian was still there. "I won't," I said, flat out refusing to accept it. I was horrified by the suggestion.

"You will," he whispered. "You will, or you will die. That is not something I would wish..." And he cut off his words.

The alley was silent for a few minutes. I could hear my own breathing, my heartbeat. Too fast, too heavy. I sighed, hugging myself.

"You wouldn't want to kill your friends now, would you?" Oh, now that was just a low blow. "Maybe I should lock you up in the cupboard again." Adrian looked thoughtful now. "After all, you are a monster..."

I forced down a choked insult and turned my back on him. Now that was pushing it. "You know what, Adrian?" I asked in a surprisingly calm voice. He just waited for me to continue. "Fuck you."

He chuckled and I turned to see him smirking at me. "With pleasure," he said and gave me a little bow. "Maybe after I leave you in the cupboard for a few days again."

I stared at him, eyes wide. He wasn't serious, was he. He winked, smirk turning into a lecherous grin. I felt myself turn pale. Oh hell. I shouldn't have said anything. Adrian took a step towards me and I took off running, disgusted with myself for having a part of me that liked the idea, and disgusted with him because he hadn't taken me seriously... Okay, maybe seriously in the wrong way.

By the time I found the cracked, concrete drainage pipe, I was exhausted, tired, frustrated...and mostly disgusted by my actions, with what I did to Lucius and then what I said to Adrian... I felt a darkness invade my mind and knew what it meant; depression was setting in. I curled up in the pipe and buried my head in my knees, arms wrapped around my legs. And I let myself cry. Why was I crying now of all times?

Who cares. I was turning into a freaking bloodsucker. I was allowed to freak out... Er, sometime.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:39 pm
SisterItaly says...

Tatiana

I ran through the allies, what was that smell? Blood, of course. Who ever my father was I hated him for making me. I ran towards the smell. Blood lust taking over, I hadn't eaten in a while. I was shocked to find someone asleep in a cracked pipe, someone who smelt strongly of blood. Control yourself, think, she has friends and family and people who love her. One day she'll wed and have a hansom husband and together they will raise a family. Do you really want to destroy that? No, No I didn't. My throat burned as the smell of blood hit my nostrils. Talking to her won't hurt. As I got closer I realised she... was... crying? She turned her head towards me.I waved shyly and smiled.
"Hi, what are you doing out here?" I asked, swallowing hard to control my blood lust. "It's dangerous to be out here."
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:51 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Kassia:

Someone approached me. I could smell her.... She was like me. I turned my head, looking for her. She waved and spoke. I noticed how she paused, how she tried to shake off the blood lust. I blinked at her and burried my face in my knees again.

She was talking again, but I barely listening. I was too obsessed with what Adrian had told me... I bet she isn't as close to becomnig a vampire as I am, I thought darkly and shot to my feet, glaring at her. She jumped backwards a step.

"Leave me alone," I hissed, hugging myself again. "You don't want to be near me right now..."

And I'll be damned if that didn't spark her curiousity. "Hey," she said. "Are you okay?"

I turned on her, making her back into the wall and slammed my hands against the concrete on either side of her head. The smell of blood overpowered my senses for a second before I pulled back, glaring at her.

"Do I look okay?" I shouted and she flinched. I waited a second and hissed, "Stay away from me."

I backed off a few steps and stepped out of the pipe, glancing over my shoulder at her. She was watching me, frowning.

"You should go," I told her and started walking off down the alley, back towards where I'd left the freaking vampire. I didn't look back but I know she followed me.

((She's so violent right now. *sighs and shakes her head* Tsk, tsk, Kassia.))

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:57 pm
ForsakenAngel says...

OK, I haven't posted in a while, yea, I know. I'm confused. OK, for my sake, and the fun of it, I'm going to leave it up to you to find a way to kill Davine. I wanna make a post where she actually dies, considering I haven't posted in a while. That's the only way I can figure it. Or you could just find a way to keep me in:) either way, it's up to you.
Last edited by ForsakenAngel on Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

57 Reviews

Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 pm

Lee

Oh. My. God.

This was a nightmare.

Every move I made brought a ripping pain across my body, sinking into my flesh, muscle, bone. Blood seeped through the gauze, and my hand came away red whenever I touched the bandaging. I tried not to swear and leaned back, wincing as the base of my back cried out in protest.

I had been too reckless. That god blasted wolf side of mine had decided it was invincible, and had forgotten that the human side could hurt, could die. And now I couldn't switch back; I had learned that from previous switches. I had to wait another day before I could regain control.

I could sense people walking by. The city was alive again; I had to stay quiet, else someone would come and investigate. The last thing I needed now was attention. I needed to be alone; if anyone came in, I didn't know if I'd hurt them.

And I couldn't go to a hospital. The blood tests would give me away, and I would be a freakshow. I could go to the Academy... but with all that had been happening there, I was afraid to. And I definitely wasn't risking being exposed to full moonlight again. I was not going to double all this because I wanted to go someplace that wasn't even safe anymore.

I curled up (the muscles in my calf groaned) and pulled a blanket over me. When I woke up, everything would be over. I wouldn't hurt anymore, at least not as much as I did now.

I hoped.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:19 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

Lucius

Little by little he was regaining his mind back. The bite from the vampire high was wearing off and part of him wasn't happy about that. Lucius put a hand to his throbbing head. Every part of him hurt right now. And the conflicting emotions in him was scarring him more than Kassia's teeth had.

Slowly, he sat up in the bed. He blinked clearing the dark fog from his eyes and looked around for Kassia. She wasn't in the bed beside him where he had last remembered she was. When she had bitten him...and he had let her. He even enjoyed the damn bite.

"Damn it!" he yelled. He threw his pillow across the room. "Why did I let her bite me?"

The last words came out in a whisper. He had let Kassia bite him. He had helped her...and she was a monster. Part of her would always be a monster. Evil. Wrong. A symbol of what had ruined his family and essentially his life. And that part of her was growing stronger.

Lucius gritted his teeth. He let the half-vampire bite him. He had helped her. He was in over his head now. He had let his friendship with Kassia grow too much and it clouded his judgement. Because no matter what he thought and no matter how much he pretended - he and Kassia couldn't ever truly be friends. Especially not now.

Lucius put a hand to his neck and pulled it away. Flakes of dark, dried blood stuck to his fingers. His neck was still a little sore. But really his body felt like it had just crashed, like when he drank too many energy drinks and his body finally gave out. He supposed that the vampire bite endorphins acted like a drug itself.

He got up, his head spinning a little. A part of him -the part he was working on squashing- had enjoyed the bite and the time away from his thoughts. Lucius knew he was a selfish, self-pitying, under confident vampire hunter in training. But when he was in the high from the bite...he didn't have to put up with any of his normal thoughts or worries. He couldn't deny that he wished he could be that Lucius sometimes.

There was one thing that he was certain of, however. And that was that he was going to avoid Kassia for a little while. Otherwise she would notice he would be less than thrilled to see her.
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:45 am
Octave says...

Declan

He hadn't gone to sleep until late in the afternoon, perhaps around the beginning of sunset. Sunset never lasted more than fifteen minutes, and Declan couldn't really hold out anymore. So many sleepless nights, staying awake and guarding the coven in an attempt to make sure no madman entered and stole another of his vampires away.

So he dropped to a weary sleep, even though he heard Brianna screaming in his head, even though he could almost feel her presence in the corner of the room, watching him with mournful eyes.

Why didn't you save me, Papa? Were you too busy ignoring me?

When she was alive, she insisted on calling him Papa, like she did her human father. And he told her repeatedly no, not to call him Papa, and childishly chose to ignore her when she did. It hurt the little girl, he knew, but he was immature, and disliked being called Papa. So he didn't listen to her, even when she called to him through their connection.

Did she call for him when she was captured? Did she call him Papa again, or did she finally use his name?

And in the silence of the growing darkness, he heard her footsteps pattering on the marble and drifted off to the echo of her laughter ringing in the halls.

Jerked awake to an intimidating darkness he'd grown used to. But that wasn't quite why he'd woken up. No, it was because he'd caught the sweet scent of something, no, someone different. Someone not from his coven. Had he failed his coven again? If Declan had a heart, it would have been pounding. Screaming. Laughing in some sort of mad frenzy at the stupid immortal who'd yet again failed to learn from his mistakes.

Declan swore that if it was another of those infernal Academy students he would hunt the headmaster down and rip him limb by limb before feeding his torso to the vultures. He was out of the room in a second, blurring through the halls in a futile race to reach the source of the strong human stench. And wonder of wonders, it was coming from Adrian's room.

Declan's mind didn't even think, didn't even pause. The door flew off its hinges, crashed into a figure who'd held up his hands defensively and splintered into a million wooden pieces. And for the first time in more than a thousand years, Declan bared his fangs and hissed as threateningly as he could.

The figure stepped backwards, made a gurgling noise that was somewhere between a whimper and a strangled word and bowed his head in shame. Declan only then realized that he'd accomplished nothing, save frightening Adrian. Poor Adrian, who wasn't even a fourth as old as Declan.

The transformation was instantaneous. Declan quieted, and his face returned to its usual impassive expression. The human stink still lingered in the room, and, more notably, on Adrian. Adrian, who was obviously unnerved by what happened. Natural instinct. When something fiercer, more powerful and more dangerous than a person appeared out of nowhere ready to attack, even the bravest warriors and the calmest kings quaked. But that was not his concern. There was something wrong with the human scent. As if it was tainted. Plus there was the damnable thought that a human had infiltrated this place, and that Declan hadn't gotten here fast enough to catch the little bugger and burn him on the stake.

Was Declan getting rusty?

"I'm sorry," Adrian breathed, his eyes still wide with fear.

Then it dawned on Declan that no, it wasn't him. It wasn't the room either. Declan hadn't caught the scent before the human left simply because there hadn't been anyone here. No, it was Adrian. An odd light struggled to show itself in the darkness Declan's red eyes. And the reason the human stench seemed familiar yet sweetly dangerous was because Declan knew it.

Kassia. When Declan slept, Adrian left to play.

Adrian.

Adrian quirked an eyebrow.

You have left our abode, perchance to speak to someone I myself have specifically told you to refrain from approaching. Perhaps you left our humble dwelling on purpose, that you might converse with her without my presence lingering in the back of your young minds. You might have chosen to ask my permission, but you didn't, in the interest of keeping the topic of conversation a secret. I cannot force you to spill your secrets, Adrian, but as of the moment I'm inclined to politely ask you to confide in me. The thought was venomous, replanting fear into Adrian's still heart.

"I spoke to her. Of her...tendencies. She was panicking, you see," Adrian said in a strangled voice. "About her tendencies. Yes. I simply told her the truth."

Declan's eyes widened. Adrian spoke the truth? To her? The little fledgling? How could he do something so out of line? It wasn't something Declan ever expected his young protégé to attempt. Then again, Declan wasn't sure how Adrian would ever act. In this coven of known facts, Adrian was the wildcard. The x factor, the variable no one understood.

Declan didn't want to scold Adrian, no, he didn't want to scold anyone. So he left so quickly all that was left in the room with Adrian was a breeze, and Declan knew that was enough to let the younger vampire know that he'd done something wrong.

#

He found Kassia by a cracked pipe in a dingy place he'd never stoop to unless absolutely needed. And he supposed this was an emergency. A silly human trailed her, but Declan paid no mind. What could the human do to him? It wasn't as if the human would try anything Declan hadn't already seen - he'd scouted the girl's mind and found nothing of interest save the fact that she'd unwisely chosen to follow Kassia after the latter told the human she wanted to be left alone.

He appeared in front of Kassia so suddenly he heard her swear in her thoughts. Declan remembered the first few times that happened - he'd laughed so hard the human would be frightened by Declan and automatically assume the vampire was mad. But now it was nothing but a nostalgic sort of reminder. Declan wasn't human anymore. Far from it.

"Kassia," he crooned in a low voice. He'd been talking often lately, but he didn't mind. Better to use his voice than to let it rust. And he supposed it was time he spoke again.

"Don't you dare -" Her hand lashed out and he avoided it too easily. Beside her, he was beside her now, and the puddle of water under his foot didn't even splash as he stepped on it.

He leaned in close to her ear, smelled the familiar yet awkward scent of the halfling. "How have you been lately?" He knew, of course, but this was genuine concern. He needed to know for himself exactly what she was feeling, and he didn't particularly feel like raiding her mind. Kassia was still his relative of sorts, and he could feel the faint telepathic connection they shared thrumming in the back of his mind.

"Leave me -"

He was gone again before she'd swung her fist. On the other side of her now, keeping up with her angry strides. The human behind them had stopped walking some while ago, frozen in shock at the vampire who, in her eyes, had teleported from one spot to another. She heard him wonder what kind of vampire he was, and he smiled. So naive. She'd never met a vampire as old as Adrian, much less one of Declan's age.

Then again, there weren't many vampires Declan's age. He could count on one hand how many were still alive - Marius, Julius, Octavian and Maximian. And Declan wasn't even sure if Julius was still alive.

"Adrian told me you were having...problems. I don't want to raid your mind -" partly because raiding teenagers' minds for feelings and day-to-day thoughts often yielded hilarious yet embarrassing pictures for Declan (he'd learned his lesson there), but he didn't say that. "-because I respect you," which was partly true. "If you tell me, Kassia, I might be able to help."

There was no answer, only terse silence and a trickle of tears.

"Why?" Declan finally asked. "Why tell Adrian, but not me?" Adrian couldn't help her. Could never help her in time to save her. But Declan could, and would. If only she'd tell him. Trust him.
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:42 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Kassia:

Declan kept pace with me, watching me. I know I was still crying, but I was angry now too. He wanted me to tell him? Maybe I should. Maybe I should tell him all about what Adrian had said... Unless he already knew.

"Go away," I said, sounding harsh. I swallowed, feeling the burning in my throat. Why had my father cursed me with this? Of all things, it had to be the blood lust.

Declan sighed and kept up with me easily as I moved faster. The girl, the one like me, the one who had been following me had stopped when Declan had appeared. She'd watched me walk off, Declan following. I could still feel her eyes on my back.

"Kassia..."

I glanced towards him. Declan's usual calm facade was gone, replaced by a look that was almost concerned. I never knew what the damn vampire was thinking. I sighed and looked away, staring at the ground while I hugged myself again.

"Fine," I whispered as we turned a corner, heading away from the Academy. "I'll tell you." I suddenly stopped and turned towards him. Declan had matched my stride, step for step. He'd even stopped when I had, at exactly the same time. It was so creepy; I had to remind myself that this was a vampire I was about to share my secrets with, not that they were so secret in the first place. "Adrian.." And I hesitated again, feeling like I was going to start choking or something.

"Go on," Declan coaxed, bringing one hand up to brush my hair out of my face. "I can't help you if you don't tell me, Kassia."

I took a deep breath, let it out again and then opened my mouth to tell him, only to shut it again. Declan raised an eyebrow at me. I sighed again and lowered my gaze. Why was it so difficult to just say it.

"From what I can gather," I muttered. "Adrian seems to be suggesting that I'll end up a vampire...eventually."

"And you are not liking that idea?" Declan asked. I jerked my head up and glared at him. Had he read my mind? Stupid Kassia, he's just Declan... "You are having a....difficult...time coming to terms with this?"

I just sighed yet again and nodded, cursing myself for being such an idiot. "You could say that..."

Silence descended on the alley and I looked away, staring at the wall. After a few minutes, the silence became awkward-at least, it did for me. Declan was just standing there, staring at me. I could feel his eyes burning holes in the side of my head.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:03 pm
SisterItaly says...

Tatiana

Stupid vampires, I didn't trust them in the least. I didn't even trust myself. I may only be part, but I was still a blood thirsty monster. I took a breath breath, through my nose, and her smell hit me. She was a hybrid to, like me. I swallowed hard, blood lust edging forward again. You don't need it, you don't need it. I chanted to myself. The vampire smirked at me. I didn't even know there were vampires around here. That's why I came here, trying to avoid my own kind. I drifted back into the shadows. I had to get away from the god forsaken vampire and vamp hybrid. My throat was on fire. I knew I had to soon. Where was a disgusting low life when you needed one?
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

Oh no, I’m sorry, you’re under the impression that here on YWS we *help* writers instead of just feeding their gremlin tendencies.
— winterwolf0100