Young Writers Society

Circus Soel

Reviews: 2
Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:28 pm
RedSun says...

I'm going to make Izzy a friend.....

Name: Jacob Mathews

Nickname: Jake

Act Type: None, he's more of just a help to Izzy.

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Personality: He's friendly, loves a good laugh, and wants to make people smile. He is funny, and very witty. He always has a smile on his face, and is a great friend. He's loyal, and won't give up easily. He goes way out of his way to help people when they need it. He is encouraging and positive.

Strengths: He's strong, positive, funny, and kind

Weaknesses: Not very talented, especially not compared to the performers, never really serious

History: He was Izzy's friend since they both were three, and thought the circus was awesome. He tended to leave the preforming to Izzy and the performers, though. When she went off to re-start Circus Soel, he was more than happy to wave goodbye to his parents and go join Izzy. He was overjoyed when he found out he would be helping with the auditions. He also is there to help with tent set up, assisting with the practicing of acts, setting up the stage during the performance, and moving bars/props/trampolines ect. around during the show.

Up for Love: Sure

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:31 pm
Apple says...

<I'll take the last Lad profile, you're just gonna have to watch here for a profile. I can't do it now because I got school, sorry. I'd like my character to be a fire acrobatic. I know that someone (Kaywiia) already has that kind of power so I have come up with a propersition. Mine and Kaywiia's chartacers are a double act...they work together! What do you think, Kaywiia? If you disagree I'll cry and choose another power. Just kidding on the crying part, okay I'm not. But, really I will cry. Just joking! :lol:>
I spy!

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:41 am
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Okay, when can we start? *impatient*
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:21 pm
Kaywiia says...

Sure, the double act would be awesome
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:37 pm
RedSun says...

I will start this a little later, right now I can't, but later today, I promise.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:42 pm
RedSun says...

Izzy

I walked into the tent just as Jake put up the last pole. He tapped it for good measure, almost as if to check that it wouldn't fall over. I knew this tent inside-and-out, though, and it was sturdy as rock. Well, that is, if it was set up correctly. I ran my hands along the rings outer edge, marveling at the smoothness. It was just like when I was younger, so much younger.

"That should do it." Jake said with a grin.

"You're a miracle worker." I tell him, with a smile that mirrored his.

I knew the run-down of the questions I would ask the performers as they auditioned. Their name, age, and act would be first. Jake would record all this information on a sheet. Then they'd preform, and Jake would write their score down on the sheet, along with any additional notes I dictate to him. Finally, I would ask them why they wanted to be in the circus. There was no right or wrong answer to this, but I wanted to hear it anyway. Jake would write a summary of their answer, and then we would move on to the next person. It was nice of him to do all this work for me, and he did it with such joy too. I would really be in trouble without Jake around.

"Nah, not really. I'm just good with the handy stuff, that's all." Jake leaned back against the bright blue table I had set up. Actually, that I had tried to set up, he had to do it in the end. I took a seat behind it in the mix-matched chair. Pushing the papers around on the desk, I finally managed to make neat piles. I picked up a pencil and put it at the top of the desk where Jake would be sitting.

"Oh," Jake turned around after peeking out of the tent flaps, "the first act's here!" His boyish grin lit up his whole face, and I could see how excited he was to start the auditions. To him, even with me explaining every little trick, the circus was still magical and beautiful.

"Come on in!" I yelled. Then I watched as the tent flap slowly opened.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:07 pm
Kaywiia says...

Terris

My parents gave me a hug, then waved goodbye as they drove away. I saw the huge flaps of the circus tent, and all the other acts.

I could tell the stakes were high, and I was going to have to give a flawless performance to make it in. I took out my torches, kept them unlit, and started a basic juggling warm up. I ended up juggling six after a while, but I didn't light them because of the multitude of other acts around. I took out a long pol, and started weaving it in a complicated pattern around my body. When I put fire on it, both ends would be lit. At the speed of which I was moving it, though, it would appear the whole pole was lit.

As much as I would have liked to, I couldn't practice my fire breathing. Not, at least, with this many people around. I go back to juggling the torches.

I see another boy, juggling what looked like torches as well. I thought to myself, A combined act, that would be a real crowd pleaser! I put mt torches in the bag, then walked over to the boy.

"Hi, I'm Terris, you work with fire, correct?" I ask, walking up to him.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

Reviews: 0
Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:11 pm
Undertaker says...

Alex

I had been traveling for so long, I had forgotten what it was like to be around so many people. Sure, markets were crowded, but there was just a strange sensation from being around these type of people. My type of people.

Smiling to myself, I started off practicing the simple magic tricks, such as taking a deck of cards and fanning then out, then piling back together. I did that three times, and each of the times the deck got smaller. Until finally it disappeared, I then made a moved to fan out the cards again, and they reappeared. I took a break for a minute, taking a chance to look around. As far as I could tell, there was every kind act here. A couple people stared as I watched them practice, I then smiled at them and they smiled back, then they would get back to practicing.

After a couple more simple tricks, I decided it was time for ones that were a bit more elaborate. I then reached down into my suitcase and pull out a paper crane. There is nothing special about this paper crane, unless you count that I made it yesterday in two minutes. Then I showed off the paper crane, pulling on it’s tail to make it’s wings flap. As soon as I’m done with that, I took a lighter out of my suitcase. I then proceed to light the tail of the crane, suddenly when the whole thing is engulfed, a red cloth appears and the fire disappears. There is a sudden movement in the cloth, I unfold it to reveal a pure white dove.

Right as I get done with the trick, I hear “ Come on it!”. I grin, additions are about to start…
"Show me a "first rate laugh"."

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:36 pm
Chupatoasta says...

Name: Roland Jacob Yarnell

Nickname: R.J

Act Type: Animal trainer/performer with his sister

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Personality: RJ is almost always smiling. He loves to laugh, be sarcastic, and make others laugh. He is, however, very protective of his sister. He isn't afraid to go all man-man on a guy trying to put the moves on his sister, and he'll let anyone know that. He loves the way his sister works with the animals, and although he had no intrest in them in the beginning, for the passed few years, he's tried to beat her at her own game.

Strengths: He's strong. Extremely strong. He's the backbone his sister doesn't have against animals. When Ever's not around to calm animals with a touch, RJ calms them with force.

Weaknesses: He can't swim. His sister sometimes compares him to a gorilla, too heavy to swim. He literally never learned how to swim, and if its anything other than a small pool of water, or a shower, he freaks out.

History: He's got the same history as Ever, of course, but didn't show interest in animals until he was fourteen. He is also not a vegetarian like his little sister.

Up for Love: Yeppers

Other: While his sister has the tigers, RJ has the lions and bears. He has two male lions, Ryan and Tye, as well as a unicycling, tightrope walking bear named Cinda.
Last edited by Chupatoasta on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

57 Reviews

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:46 pm

Andi

I closed my eyes and reached my hands down. I kicked my legs up and held them straight over my head.

The thing about handstands, Andi, is they're an acrobat's bread and butter. That's right, keep 'em straight, good girl, and come down... there you go! Great, Andi! Terrific!

Danny's words echoed in my head. I blinked back tears and lowered my legs to the ground. I stood again and started stretching. I didn't know when I was auditioning- a girl with red hair and blue eyes had just gone in- but in any case, acrobatics calmed me down. It would be a trillion times better if I had a powertrack at the ready, but I didn't know if they even had one.

I pulled my sports tank (which had ridden up during my handstand) down and adjusted my Saffe shorts before flipping in place. I would've moved, but I didn't want to wander off. Not with this much at stake. I mean, from performing on the streets to performing in a circus... wow. Granted, it wasn't Cirque (yet), but still...!

I was doing this for myself, I thought strictly. And Danny would've been so proud.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:08 pm
RedSun says...

Jake

I sat down in my seat as the first act came in. I waved my hand towards the center of the ring. She half-ran down the steps to the ring. Once she was in the center, Izzy looked up from a sheet of paper to talk to her.

"Hello, I'm Elizabeth Soel, daughter of Markus Soel. Feel free to call me Izzy. And what's your name?" Izzy asked from beside me. though her voice was very casual sounding, I knew the information should be recorded.I got my pencil ready.

"Alex Bradly," the girl said. She seemed a little nervous, and looked over at me. I winked at her.

"And how old are you, Alex?" Izzy questioned after I finished writing her name down.

"15 years old,"

"And what will you be doing for us?" Izzy's voice held a little excitement, now, but it was also kind.

"I am an Illusionist and Magician," Alex smiled. I gave her a thumbs up.

"Is there anything you need set up for your act, before you start? Because that's what I do, I set up sets and, stuff." I ask her, then I realize I sound kind of like an idiot.

57 Reviews

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:25 pm

Andi

I peeked around the corner of the entrance. The redhead was doing a trick (an impressive one at that) while a blonde boy scribbled things down and a blonde girl watched intently. I bit my lip. I was next.

I started stretching again, hoping desperately that they had a powertrack. Subconscious two told subconscious one sharply that it wouldn't matter, since I could do regular acrobatics. One stuck her tongue out and folded her arms. I told them both to shut up and let me warm up.

I was wondering if I should start flipping in place again when the redhead came out, beaming. "You're up," she told me, and walked off.

Gulp.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

23 Reviews

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:58 pm
Chupatoasta says...

Ever~

Ever swallowed, nervous now. This wasn't good. If she was nervous, Cyan, Magi, Ryan, Tye and Cinda would all get nervous too. Animals sensed emotions. "Calm down, it'll all be okay." Ever's brother, R.J, smiled at her sweetly, clicking his tongue to Ryan and Tye, who were snarling viciously at one another, a hoop stuck around their mid-section. "See, you're confusing them" R.J teased, the hoop unlatching and the two male lions jumping from one another and licking themselves as if they'd caught something from the other.

"We're next." R.J offered, trying to calm her down. That comment wasn't helping. Cyan and Magi loped over, rubbing Ever's hip with their heads. Ever kneeled down to their level, Cyan putting his large white paw on Ever's shoulder while Magi nuzzled Ever's jaw line, licking her ear quickly.

Ever was instantly calmed down, her animals being the cause of in. Cinda was prancing around, her lips drawn back as she carried her unicycle to-and-fro. R.J turned to look at the black bear with a golden daisy places delicately by her ear. Cinda let out a happy growl and quickly made her way to peddling the unicycle. She had honestly taught herself, but nobody believed the two siblings. They all said what their animals did were forced on them in cruel and unusual ways, but that wasn't true. Ever would never bring harm to an animal.

The twin lions were tossing flaming batons back and forth with their massive, swinging heads. Magi, positioning herself beside Cyan, ran side by side her mate, both leaping in the air over the flying, flaming batons.

"Woah..." Ever heard a voice breathe, her attention suddenly diverted from the entertaining animals.
George Bernard Shaw

57 Reviews

Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:57 pm

Andi

"Name, age, and act?"

I swallowed. "Andrealisa Sutton, but I go by Andi. Fifteen. I mainly do powertrack, but I can do any acrobatics." I said, hoping my voice wouldn't shake. I spotted the powertrack behind me and breathed a sigh of relief.

"Any props or anything I'll need to set up?"

"Just the powertrack."

"Alright. Go." I nodded and proceeded to the end of the track. I ran a good ten feet before doing a twist flip, then continually flipped to the end of the track, where I did a triple-twist flip onto the mat. I stuck it and continued the routine. I finished at the end of the vertical track, after sticking a double back flip with an added quad-twist. I heard a "Whoa..." from outside the ring.

The girl at the desk lifted her chin and asked, "Why do you want to do this?"

I lifted my chin, refusing to cry. "My cousin always said I could do it. When I performed his routines on the street, I loved doing it. A circus would be ten up from that." I brushed away a wayward tear and nodded.

"Well, thanks. Send the next act in." I nodded again and jogged out, feeling like I was about to break into another flip combo.

"You're up," I told a girl with two tigers at her waist before literally doing combos all the way down the hall.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

23 Reviews

Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:09 pm
Chupatoasta says...

**Hey I'm taking Cinda out for a while. The bear really doesn't have a spot in the show after all**

Ever and R.J

"Name, age, and act?"

Ever swallowed hard, this was it. Cyan's eyes gazed over at her, Ever giving the cat a small smile, her nerves budding away. "I'm Ever-Grace Yarnell. I go by Ever. These," she swooped her hand smoothly in the direction of the tigers, "are Cyan and Magi. I'm sixteen, and I've been an animal trainer and performer at my father's zoo for the passed ten years." She gazed over at her brother, whose hand she was gripping tightly. His face seemed pain, possibly by how hard Ever was squeezing.

"I-I'm Roland Yarnell, but I go by R.J. I have two lions with me, Ryan and Tye." He nodded in the direction of the animals. "I'm nineteen, and I've been a trainer and performer for five years." He freed his hand from Ever's walking on the oppisite side of the ring. Ever shot him a fleeting glance before running to her side of the ring.

"You may begin." The girl spoke, looking up finally.

Magi and Cyan rubbed their heads against Ever, who quickly tossed two of the hoops to R.J. Ever quickly tossed her hoops in the air, spinning a few times beneath them. When they came back down and made contact with Ever's hand, they both caught fire. R.J was mimicking Ever's moves perfectly. Ever tossed the hoops over to R.J, who tossed his own hoops back. The four big cats all took their spots, and when the four hoops were in the air, horizontal with one another, they all ran forth, their muscles visibly bunching before they all sprang forward at the same time. All four, the lions and tigers, cleared the hoops with ease. They skidded to a stop, turned around, and did it a few more times, all in different positions. Ever, after catching the hoops, through them to the ground, deminishing the fire immediately. She grabbed to two batons and lit them on fire while the big cats were all on their hindlegs at R.J's command.

Ever clicked her tongue, and tossed the batons in the air behind her. Ryan and Tye caught them and ran to their positions, doing the trick they'd been practicing earlier. Cyan and Magi leaped through the flaming batons' lines of fire, and then turned, grabbing the batons and doing the same thing while the twin lions jumped through. Ever whistled, and the big cats dropped everything, all getting in a line. Ryan and front, then Magi, then Tye, and finally Cyan. They jumped around in their conga line while Ever imagined conga music playing. After rounding the ring once, the big cats bowed, their trainers bowing with them. Ever couldn't hold back the grin. Even if they might not be accepted, she was so proud of the cats.

"Why do you want to do this?" The girl asked, not seeming very impressed. Maybe... just maybe they weren't going to make it.

"Honestly, for our animals." Ever spoke first, R.J gripping her hand again. "I couldn't bear the way my father's zoo treated the animals after my father's death. So once I was old enough, my brother and I took over the zoo. We had wanted to make our zoo into a circus with humane training, however, my mother just wouldn't allow it, as the zoo was my father's legacy. So, she left our uncle in charge. Once they're both gone, however, my brother and I have to take their places, so I felt that we should accomplish our dream of a circus before our time comes." Ever smiled, rubbing Ryan's chin while the other big cats nuzzled either her or R.J.

"What she said," R.J grinned, winking at Ever, who chuckled and rolled her eyes.

"Okay, thank you. Send in the next act." Ever nodded, and with R.J and the big cats, walked out of the tent.

"You're up," she smiled at the next person.
George Bernard Shaw

Sometimes my life just sounds like surrealistic fiction being sold on clearance at the book store.
— J. G. Hammersmith