z

Young Writers Society

Circus Soel

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:26 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Lukas

"You're up," a girl with red hair told me. I nodded and took a deep breath. I motioned for my guys to come on, and walked through the entrance.

"Name, age, and act," the blonde girl asked.

"Lukas Donav. Sixteen. Russian bars." I said, clutching the bar beside me.

"You may begin."

I nodded at my guys, and they lowered the bar between each other. I hopped on, straightened my feet, and tapped my right index against my hip. Go.

They lifted the bar sharply, throwing me into the air. I twisted twice and landed. After a second, I tapped my finger again. This time I did a twist-flip. I did a series of stunts after that, landing easily each time. I closed the act with a triple-twist sideways flip. After I did a bow (still standing on the bar), I slipped off.

The blonde boy (who just looked up from a clipboard) asked, "Why do you want to do this?"

I tried to stop panting and answered, "I always wanted to go into performing, and since I love doing this, I thought I may as well smush the two together. The result was to join a circus."

He nodded. "Send in the next one."

I smiled and left the ring, followed by my supports. I jerked my head back to the next person and sat against the wall.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

Reviews: 0
Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:25 am
Undertaker says...

Alex

After my act was over, I walked out if the tent and waited. Not exactly sure of what do to next. Thinking back to my addition, I smiled slightly, not one mess up. Not only that, but Izzy seemed really nice. And the boy that was with her, he seemed…nice. No that was not the right word, he seemed extremely nice and very polite. After coming to the fact that she like the two who ran the circus, she then walked back over to the tent flap and peeked through.

The memory of my addition came flooding back to my mind. I had walked in, nervous as I could be. Right as I walked in, a boy asked me “"Is there anything you need set up for your act, before you start? Because that's what I do, I set up sets and, stuff.". After he had said it, a funny look appeared on his face. I smiled and said “No, but thank you anyway. If I ever do need anything I’ll be sure to ask.”. He smiled back, then went to sit down near a girl.

They had done the interview in matter of minutes. I had learned that her name was Izzy and the boys name was Jacob. After all that I had got down to doing a couple magic tricks. I did a couple things, like the fire and the dove one. Another one I did was levitation and it was her I levitated. I did a couple other things, after all that I smiled and took a bow. Both of the politely clapped.

Right when I had thought I was done she asked me one more question, “Why do you want to join the Soel Circus?”. I grinned, I didn’t even have to think about this answer, I replied “I like to see other people happy.”. She nodded, looking pleased. She then told me I was done and I could send in the next person.

Walking out I had run into a boy who had blond hair. He must be who was next. Smiling I told him “Your up.” and I also mentally wish him the best of luck. He nodded took a deep breath then walked in the tent.
"Show me a "first rate laugh"."

Reviews: 2
Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:16 am
RedSun says...

Izzy

As I waited for the next act, I looked over the past ones.

The main score card sat at the top of the right desk. Alex had gotten a 7, I liked her act, it entertained me. I had given the girl named Andi a 8, she was pretty impressive, but not 10 material. Ever and R.J., however, had gotten a 9 1/2. The animals impressed me, even if the fire had made me jump a little. And I could see how much passion they put into what they were doing. Lukas, I must admit, had really impressed me. I had seen many russian bar acts, but the stuff he did was nothing like what I had seen.

Suddenly, two boys walked in with torches. I started shaking when they lit them. One of the boys started juggling.I closed my eyes and felt the memories start to flood back.

"You want to watch?" His voice was clam, and sweet. I nod, excited as always. The six year old me knew what wonders fire held. The torches lit up the night air as he began to juggle.

He began a series of complex footwork. spinning and juggling. I thrilled at the sight. It was magical, beautiful.

Before I knew what was happening, he tripped. The torches came crashing down. Pain flooded over my back, my face, everywhere. I couldn't even comprehend the voices around me. And then a crushing weight. I couldn't feel anything. Then black, just black.

I woke up in a hospital two days later. I heard a doctor beside me say to my dad, "She might never preform again."

I find myself crying. Jake is holding my hand, looking concerned.

"Izzy, Izzy, are you okay?" He put his arms around me, and waved off the two boys. They nodded, confused, and left. I watched Jake slowly write a nine at the top of the score sheet.

"I never want to see that again," I said, and began to sob a little again.

57 Reviews

Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:12 am

Andi

I stood against the wall. Well, stood isn't exactly the right word for it. I was doing a handstand, with my body leaning against the wall for support. Danny's -my- beads were hanging over my nose, and my eyes were closed. I heard footsteps approaching, and let my body fall back gracefully. I stood to face the...er...person.

"Lukas," he said cheerfully, sticking his hand out. I ignored it.

"Andi."

"Oh, well, hi, Andi. What's your act?"

"Powertrack. Acrobatics. You?"

"Russian bars."

I scowled. The guys at the Danny's Centre who were Russian bars people had never treated me well.

"Cool." I said, and stalked down the hall, leaving a confused and possibly offended blonde boy behind me.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:01 pm
Kaywiia says...

Terris

The girl started crying when I lit my torches and began to juggle. She closed her eys. I stopped juggling, but the other boy didn't. I held up my hand to stop him, then gestured to the girl named Izzy. He doused the flames.

The boy next to Izzy, I think his name was Jake, waved us off.

"I never want to see that again," I heard her say.

I turn around, despite the fact the other boy put a hand on my shoulder.

"What?" I demand, walking back down, I slam both my hands down on the table. "I have practiced for years for this. Just because you're afraid of a little talent...." If I knew the truth, I wouldn't have said anything. The Jake boy stood up.

"Leave, now!" He said, no hint of the previous smile on his face. I decided angering them wasn't worth it, and backed away. I walked back up the steps in a fit of rage. For an added effect, I blew a stream of fie ten feet long across the ring.

"Have a nice life." I said, to low for them to hear from where I was.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

57 Reviews

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Andi

As soon as the fire-juggler walked out of the ring, I slapped his head as hard as I could. He yelped.

"You idiot! You don't defy the person who is controlling your future! I don't care about your feelings, I don't care about your point of view, I don't care about you. But if someone's upset, you don't go up and make them more so! Simple logic, fire boy." Done ranting, I whipped around and stormed back to the blonde boy. I sat cross legged against the wall, fuming. He slid down next to me.

"You 'kay?" he asked.

"No. I'm not." I said, and promptly folded back into the wall-handstand. I smiled a little at him.

"But thanks. Means a lot."
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:53 pm
RedSun says...

Izzy

After I had seen the rest of the acts, and gotten over my emotional breakdown, I went outside. I grabbed a megaphone, and said into it, "All of you, auditions are complete. This, being the final day of auditions, is when I make the final choices on who will be on my circus," I cleared my throat, "you are all, so very talented, and I thank you all for coming."

Jake looked at me with a knowing look, I handed him the microphone, "And, I would like to add, cast list goes up tomorrow at dawn. Anyone who is in the circus must report to the main tent by noon, or else we will assume you changed your mind. I wish you all the best of luck."

"Where did that come from?" I asked him when he put the microphone down. He patted over his heart, and I playfully whacked him on the side of the head.

"I'm glad you're here, Jake." I said after a minute.

"I'm glad I'm here to," He said. Now, come on, I have the top fifteen highest scores on a chart, you should look over my choices though.

"Are the fire freaks in?" I asked, suddenly concerned.

"Absolutely," Jake looked out into the sun, and I stormed back to my camper. This was not going to be fun, but I trusted Jake, and I knew he was doing what was best of our audience. I turned around just in time to see Jake take out his clipboard, and make the final notes on who was in Circus Soel.

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:01 pm
View Likes
ForsakenAngel says...

I'm guessing it's too late to join...
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

57 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Andi

I looked at Lukas. He looked at me. He pointed at my collarbone.

"Cool beads."

"They're not mine. Well, they are, but they aren't."

"Huh?"

"My dead cousin's."

"Oh. Sorry."

"No big. You didn't know." I shrugged, but I had to turn my head to make sure he couldn't see my eyes. I bent over backwards, lifting my legs into a handstand. I heard a soft thump, and then saw Lukas's head next to mine.

"They say handstands are an-"

"Acrobat's bread and butter." I finished softly, closing my eyes, legs still pin straight.

"Yeah."

Neither of us spoke. We were too busy thinking about tomorrow, and if we had been enough for Izzy and Jake.

I hoped to god we had been.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:31 pm
RedSun says...

Jake

At dawn, the list went up on the tent. It wasn't an easy choice, but I had made the final cuts as I believed was right.

The list went up:

Ever-Grace Yarnell
Andrealisa Sutton
Alexis Brown
Alex Bradly
Terris Johnson
Lukas Donav
Roland Yarnell

I grinned as I looked at it, all these peoples dreams were coming true. And it was all because of me and Izzy. and, as much as she hated the fire-boy, I knew he had passion. He had a talent, and a look of courage. That's what we needed in our circus, and that was what we had here. Solid, raw, talent, all ours for the taking. I grinned again, and turned to see as a group of hopefuls started to edge towards the list.

"Come on," I called out with a big smile, "I won't bite."

Izzy walked up towards me, "You posted the list?" her voice was impatient and demanding. She never had been a morning person, and sleeping in a camper made her irritable.

"Yes, Iz, I did. Now, lets make dreams come true," I watched her walk away, and thanked the lord I was a morning person.

57 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:48 pm

Andi

I traced my finger down the page. Ever-Grace Yarnell... Andrealisa Sutton! I tumbled back, doing a backwards soumersalt to my feet. I squealed (how very un-Andi of me) and held my hand to my mouth, grinning like an idiot and jumping all over the place. I heard an almost booming "YES!", and saw my currently favorite blonde boy leap back, his arms flailing about. Now that I thought of it, I was glad Luke had made it in. For a Russian bars kid, he was pretty awesome.

I had seen the others, so I was cool with the choices. I might've been cool with any choices, so long as me and Luke were in, just because he was the only I knew and liked at the moment. Then again, I hadn't met the others. So maybe this was good- I guess I needed friends. Street performing doesn't necessarily do that for you, especially not with cops.

Did I say that? I meant... er.... lollipops! Erm...

Anyway, I had thanked Jake and Izzy about seven times each and was currently flipping and twisting all over the place, more complex moves than I had done in my audition. I clutched my beads tightly, tears building up behind my squeezed shut eyelids.

"I made it, Danny," I whispered. "I made it."
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:37 pm
Chupatoasta says...

Rave~

Rave bounded to the list, hardly caring about the stares she and her cats were getting. The second her eyes hit the page, she saw her name, and took in a deep breath. Cyan, sensing her anticipation, nuzzled her hand lovingly. Terris... Lukas... Roland! Roland and Rave had both made it! She spun around, her smile wide. RJ, realizing it, ran over and picked her up, spinning her in the air.

Their dreams were coming true!

Finally!

Rave squealed as he spun her, laughing loudly yet harmoniously before he set her down. She dropped down and hugged both Cyan and Magi around their thick, striped necks. "We made it!" She smiled, Magi putting her paws on either side of Rave's neck, on her shoulders while Cyan nuzzled her happily, both big cats making a soft, happy growl.
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:31 pm
Kaywiia says...

I'll post later, sorry, I've been busy.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

The best books... are those that tell you what you know already.
— George Orwell, 1984