z

Young Writers Society

The Web Is Ours for The Taking.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:41 pm
TalaPaulwic says...

Plot:

(In a dramatic deep voice) In a world...

Nah, I'm just kidding.

This story is set two hundred years in the future (2210). Virtual Reality Software (V.R.S.) is the latest breakthrough in science and technology, and has been sold to the general public. The world, Earth, isn't doing very well. It's dying quite frankly. Water is easy to come by, almost every hour of every day the surface of the Earth is nearly torn apart by horrible storms. The animals have long since died, but plants and false meat have kept the population alive for some time.

VRS, the way that people escape their troubles and act like they're not going through what might be the end of humanity. The people are put into cryogenic pods, they're nourished through an IV, and through a chip that can easily be implanted in the back of their brain, they connect to the internet. This works much like a dream does, only everything is clearer, and there are other real people there. The pod has limited supplies of oxygen, and if it's not changed every twelve hours the person inside will die slowly.
In order to come out of the pod you need to either shut down the program you're actively participating in, or have someone on the outside let you out.

The world started dying after the third world war started in 2157, it ended ten years later. Humans had figured out how to control the weather and use it for war. No one really knows how this caused the Earth to be nearly torn apart by storms, there have been traces of coffee on the controllers, perhaps this caused a malfunction? Maybe we'll never know.
The only food that people have is what they can grow. Grown meat is heard of, but very rare, and hard to acquire. It's entirely possible to survive off of the plants, however it's natural for the people to want more. The water that comes in storms is perfectly safe to drink, and that's how the humans survive.

The surface of Earth has been completely flooded. It was time for the humans to adapt. Some chose to live in an underground network of tunnels, the walls enforced with rocks to keep them from caving in. Others chose to live in clear, underwater houses on the surface. There were also some that flew up and made themselves a living above the storms, no one has seen or heard from them, but they've made it.
Society in each region is highly advanced, but very sensitive to outsiders, people who are not one of them. Those who live underground have a scorn for those above ground. Those who live on the surface, under the water, feel that they're better then those underground, and scorn those who fled to the clouds. Those in the clouds fancy themselves god over the other societies, and believe everything they do is golden.
The internet is the only way that these three sides communicate with one another. They don't mention where they're from, so they all get along fairly well.

Lately something's been happening. People have been having an increasingly difficult time getting out by both methods. Some even stuck. Loved ones do their best to keep them alive, but it's a difficult task. Many end up dying. Something goes wrong when they die in the pods though, their minds stay alive in the internet. These people are considered ghosts. A few ghosts have realized that they're dead and found that they have a unique control over the environment around them. Some used these skills for good, others decided that it would be used for evil. Each program or website has at least one good ghost running it, and protecting it.
Some evil ghosts have gotten a following of normal humans to serve as pawns in their plots.

Rules:

No god modding, no killing others.

I'm fine with cursing, I don't want every other word to be a curse, but I'm not going to say that cursing
isn't allowed.

You can have up to two characters, however they both cannot be ghosts. One must be normal, you can still wander the internet, but they both can't be ghosts. In addition you cannot play two girls, two guys is alright, but these things generally have more girls then guys, so this is my attempt to even that out.

Just a note, ghosts still act like they're alive, it's just how their minds work.

This is an adventure mainly set in the internet, so anything can happen. There can be people running around dressed as medieval nights, though they didn't come from that era, it's not unheard of.

A little guideline about characters. Please don't get mad, but I've seen a lot of Mary Sues in story books, so please make your characters interesting and different. None of the “clumsy, but really nice and gets along with people”, or the “always bubbly and joyful seeing the good in everyone”. You can have those as bases, but I want good character flaws, dark sides, and more to your characters then that sort of thing.

You can play yourself on YWS if you really want.

Character Profiles:

Name:

Race: (Ghost, or normal? If a normal, where do they live, underground, surface, or clouds?)

Appearance:

Personality:

Flaws:

Talents:

History:

Other:

I'm going to put my profiles down here.

Name: Zetta Villatora

Race: Normal, surface.

Appearance: She's short, four foot six. Her skin is pale from the lack of sunlight. She is fairly muscular. Her hair is in a crew cut, short, and brown. Her eyes are a dull blue. She generally wears tank tops and cargo pants, however it really depends on her mood.

Personality: Fairly antisocial. She doesn't talk to people much, but she has a few good friends. Slightly insane. When she knows someone she'll relax, and you'll see what I mean with slightly insane.

Flaws: Her antisocial behavior makes her slightly depressed, and when she's feeling depressed her insanity gets worse and eats away at her mind.

Talents: Nothing really, people have told her she should take up acting, but she's never bothered to try.

History: Her parents are very into social behavior, so they treated her differently when she didn't talk to everyone she could. This is what caused her mild insanity. No one loved her like a parent, and so she practically raised herself. Other then this nothing special happened to her.

Other: Up for love.

Name:Vern Kueker

Race: Ghost, evil.

Appearance: Average in height. He has a fairly scrawny build. His hair is long and blonde, his eyes are naturally green, but ever since he found out that he was a ghost, he altered his eyes so they're red. However while he sleeps they return to green.

Personality: Bitter. He feels by dying in a pod he was cheated, and that he deserves something more. So he takes this out on people in the internet. He's very charming and seductive when he wants to be, but he does this only to gain a following of normals.

Flaws: He came from the clouds, and so he's naturally cocky. Overconfident.

Talents: An ace at seduction.

History: He lost all memory after the first six months of being trapped. He doesn't want to know his history either/

Other: Up for love.
Last edited by TalaPaulwic on Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All I can hear; "I me mine, I me mine, I me mine". Even those tears; "I me mine, I me mine, I me mine". No one's frightened of playing it. Everyone's saying it. Flowing more freely than wine. All through your life; "I me mine".

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:25 pm
Light_Devil! says...

Wow, no one's joined this yet? *whistles* I'm in! :D

Name: Kaedo Tempesota

Race: Normal, clouds.

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Personality:
Kaedo is the kind of guy you'd probably walk by in the street without noticing him all that much, the kind you pass by who is smiling slightly as if the world around him is a joke. Despite this small smile, he doesn't emanate any type of feelings or aura. In fact, its the lack of emotion, and his particularly odd grin, about him which people seem to notice and dislike more. Kaedo doesn't not feel he just isn't very open with his emotions. He is closed to mostly everyone, except people he decides he likes. He may look rather unemotional, bar his smile, but that's most likely because he's completely deep in thought about things probably best left unsaid.

Flaws: Introverted, and a kind of loner. Kaedo doesn't understand what the fuss of friendship is about. He can often come off as up himself and all self-important, but it's more the fact he really doesn't understand why other people are alive.

Talents: Hacking and programming. He can hack a computer faster than you can say, "Wow." As with all hackers, a large intelligence is needed and he is no exception, Kaedo could probably tell you the fiftieth number of pi on the spot.

History:
Kaedo is the son of a small technologly firm who sell expensive, but top-notch gadgets. He is one of the people who work on these gadgets to test them and improve them. He was picked on in school for his family's firm selling products to those underneath them. It was this treatment which made Kaedo the way he is today; not a very big people person.

Other: Up for love, if you can take him on. :D

Alright?
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

A computer once beat me at chess. It was no match for me at kick boxing.

"I wish Homer was my father," - Ned's son.
"And I wish you didn't have Satan's curly red hair," - Ned Flanders.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:51 pm
fictionfanatic says...

I want to join bu can you give me the gist of what this is about? Sorry, I normally wear glasses when I read or use the computer but I lost them so the screen hurts my eyes to look at to long.
Live, Love, Laugh

143 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 143
Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:57 pm
LovelessSummer says...

What Fiction said.
LoVeLeSs I review short stories and novels.

Always remember that you’re unique. Just like everyone else.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

73 Reviews

Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:02 am
Light_Devil! says...

Well, this is the way I see it, loosely mind you ...

Basically VRS, Virtual Reality Software, is this new technology that is a total virtual reality. The world this is set in, Earth in 200 years, is dying and people have begun using VRS as a way of escaping reality.

Workings of the VRS:
Spoiler! :
The people are put into cryogenic pods, they're nourished through an IV, and through a chip that can easily be implanted in the back of their brain, they connect to the internet. This works much like a dream does, only everything is clearer. The pod has limited supplies of oxygen, and if it's not changed every twelve hours the person inside will die slowly.

As this is quite a limited time to escape life, people have begun dying while connected to VRS. When they die they don't go to heaven, they become "Ghosts" in the internet, aware of their own consciousness. Some turn bad and use real, normal humans to their own advantage. Some turn good and try to help.

On Earth there are three levels of society. Underground, on the completely flooded Surface of Earth and in the Clouds. All have intelligent technology albeit slightly different.

----

Well, that was my summary at least.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

143 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:34 am
LovelessSummer says...

Oh, okay then! Fine, i'm joining.

Name: Allison Remerez

Race: Normal. Flooded Earth.

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Personality: She's sweet and tries to be nice to everyone. Alli spends most of her time in the pods because normal life gets boring very easily. She hates confusion and fighting, sort of a hippie in her own way. She hardly gets angry but when she does get to that point you had bettter duck and cover.

Flaws: Easily distracted. A bit stubborn. Not strong at all. She is all too willing to trust people.

Talents: What she lacks in strength she makes up in smarts. She has a differnt but rephreshing way of thinking that gets her out of tough situations.

History: Ever since she was little she has found life on flodded earth extremely boring and dull, because of that she pratically lives in the pods and in her imagination. She does not have many close human friends but knows most every regular that visits Pod Land, as she likes to call it. Her parents are constantly trying to get her to socalize in the real world but she never really does.

Other: She likes to sing. Up for love.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:05 am
fictionfanatic says...

Actually, I don't think I'm going to join. Sorry.
Live, Love, Laugh

30 Reviews

Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:34 am
TalaPaulwic says...

Thanks for explaining it while I was away Light_Devil! Darn, you'll be missed. Thanks for looking! And those who have joined, thank you as well.
All I can hear; "I me mine, I me mine, I me mine". Even those tears; "I me mine, I me mine, I me mine". No one's frightened of playing it. Everyone's saying it. Flowing more freely than wine. All through your life; "I me mine".

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:26 am
foxfire says...

I'll be joining....

name: Cannon Nadean

race: underground

Appearance: Long black hair with a cap over her head. She has dark green eyes (a genetic trait of her family). She often wears dark clothes that contradicts the light blue clothes of her twin. By her back, she carries a head-like bag.

Personality: She is very loyal to her family and all of its members. Her decisions are often base on whether her family or her name can be honor. This often lead to various conflict with other people. For one time, she was to decide helping a drowning person or risk her families' collection to be destroyed. She chose the latter. She takes grudges easily and possess an unemotional expression which allows her to finish more errands ordered by her family than risking helping others which often involves loosening the emotions. She is also easily aggressive to other societies particularly the cloud because it undermines her family name.

flaws: She gets easily angry at very abstract and easy ways. The most easiest way is to tease her name. When she gets angry, she often gets irrational and lose insights on her surroundings. Her anger also disallows to create a goof relationship with others.

Talents: puppet control...Cannon carries a large puppet by her back that she can used in a large number of ways. From this, she is often handy in a lot of stuff. She can also be strong due to her carrying her puppet around as well as quick in making decision though they are often self-centred decisions.

History: She is a member of the Nadean family, a large influential family within the Underground societies. The family is highly involved with politics and technology seen through the dramatic usage of their creations. The Nadean are a puppet making family. From this, Cannon followed the norm of the family often looking herself more important than others. She came to use the pods because of a new tactic made by the family to create an influence within the Virtual Reality.
John McClane: Drop it. It's the police.
Tony: You won't hurt me.
John McClane: Oh, yeah? Why not?
Tony: Because you're a policeman. There are rules for policemen.
John McClane: Yeah. That's what my captain keeps telling me

30 Reviews

Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:53 pm
TalaPaulwic says...

Alright, lets start this up.

I'll post in a minute, feel free to go ahead of me though.

30 Reviews

Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:04 pm
TalaPaulwic says...

Zetta Villatora

She looked around and sighed. No one was around, as it was. She slowly slid into the pod and laid back. Her eyes gently shut, and the pod shut around her. A slight sigh escaped her lips as she fully allowed herself to relax. Slowly her connection to her real body faded, her feeling was lost starting at her feet, and moving up towards her head.

Her eyes opened in the virtual world. Her body formed, and she looked around. So many applications, so many people. Her eyes caught on a role playing game called World of Warcart, she walked over to it and pressed the log in button. She scowled when her attempts to log in were met by a big red box that said; "ERROR, CANNOT CONNECT TO THE SERVERS AT THIS TIME PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER".

She jumped up and hit the X at the top of the screen, she turned around and leaned against the application. She had nothing better to do, surely it would be up again in less then twelve hours. Crashing a game like that was always hard, more so when it was already crashed to begin with.

Vern Kueker

A slight smirk formed on his lips as the prowled through the web. He saw someone leaning against a game that had been down for about two hours now. He walked over to her and put on his charming smile. He leaned next to her, "hey, what's your name?" She responded by scowling, and hitting him in the face. "How about you fuck off before I report you to the game officials you pervert!" He turned around and walked off. "Lesbian!" "Homo!" Something hit him in the back of the head, a virtual rock, thrown by her no doubt.

He walked away until he was out of both sight, and earshot of that insane woman. He looked around for another girl to possibly charm, hopefully one that wasn't going to assault him.

73 Reviews

Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:55 am
Light_Devil! says...

Kaedo Tempesota

Kaedo walked down the street and looked around. All the people being alive seemed to take him by surprise everytime he went to get lunch. It physically rocked his brain to think that every other person was thinking of themselves as "I" or "me" and that it was valid for them to think like that, because they had their own consciousness.

As several people walked passed him, he stared at them and then frowned inwardly, though he still appeared to be smiling on the outside. There were less people than normal. He would know, he tried to count them all at lunch time. Blinking to erase the thought he strolled casually to a cafe.

There were the usual places Kaedo disliked eating. Cafe - V.R.S, with its own cubicles for people to plug into, while they were tube fed. Kaedo never liked plugging into V.R.S. The un-privacy of it all had always turned him off. He gazed curiously at the store he usually bought food at and paused.

No emotion crossed his face. But he felt a great disappointment. The store was closed. The black haired teen approached it to see the sign, "Store Closed. SOLD." Kaedo titled his head in thought and then realised there was more on the sign, he leant closely to read the small font, "Faulty V.R.S - needs replacement."

Kaedo stared without blinking at the sign and then looked down the street again at the declined people. Neurons fired through his synapses at a staggering rate as he connected the dots. His smile seemed to grow ever so slightly. Then he turned around and walked back to his house.

He just might tinker with his dad's V.R.S a little. Perhaps he could delve into this deeper. Kaedo's smile was real. And he even almost chuckled as a word slithered out of his mouth, "Ghosts."
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

143 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:39 am
LovelessSummer says...

Allison Remerez

The door made a loud squeal as I pulled it open. Compressed air leaked out as I pulled shut the last strap on my suit.
"Alli? Allison, is that you," my mom called from the front room. I sighed and put one foot through the door.
"Yeah, mom."
"Where are you going?"
"To the pods."
"Oh, okay just make sure to-" I shut the door and swam out onto the street. The VRS stations weren't too far away, I should be there in about five minutes or so.
- - -
I laid back in my favorite pod and sighed as reality slipped away.
The people of the virtual world buzzed around me and I smiled.
"Home sweet home," I mumbled. A thousand apps appeared in front of me, but I was looking for a specific one: Grand Chase. I've been obsessed with that game ever since I first came across it. I was just about to hit it when someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around and gave the person behind me a confused stare.
"Hi," I mumbled.
"Hey," he said," My name's Vern." He smiled and leaned against my app.
"Um, my name's Allison. Nice to meet you...I guess."

30 Reviews

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:02 am
TalaPaulwic says...

Vern Kueker

He smirked. This girl didn't seem like she was going to throw a rock at him. "What's a lovely lady like you," he paused and a watch formed on his wrist, he appeared to check the time, "playing at this hour?" The watch then vanished and a rose formed in his hand, he held it out to her. She was a tad bit unsure, but took it anyways. "Just a game... why do you ask?" He looked her in the eye, she seemed uncomfortable under his gaze. "Well if you're playing it, then it must be good. At least a little."

He casually moved his arm and closed the app. However he put an invisible barrier that kept him up. "Hey!" It was that voice, the voice of the woman that threw a rock at him. A loud thwack echoed through the area. This was the sound of a rock hitting his skull hard. "Get away from her you pervert!" Isolda moved forwards. Vern tried to ignore her. "Allison, how about we leave here, go somewhere away from this mentally ill woman."

Once again Isolda moved forwards, this time she grabbed Vern on the shoulder, she pulled him 'round, and hit him hard in the face. He staggered backwards holding his face. "Please, I really want to get to know you Allison." He kept using her first name as if it gave him some power over him. "Don't, he's nothing but a sicko and a pervert, run while you can!"

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:01 am
gsppcrocks10 says...

Okay, after you begged and pleaded ON YOUR KNEES, I'll join. Sheesh. xD *totally not exaggerating...* *shifty eyes*

... Actually it was more like "join or I'll get my rusty hatchet out of my shed".

Name: Laine Anderson

Race: Normal, lives under the water.

Appearance: Blonde curly hair and green eyes. She wears loose black sweatpants and a form-fitting t-shirt that says "I'm Only Here Because My Server is Down". Her form occasionally spazzes, flickering for a few seconds before going back to normal.

Personality: Bubbly, happy, and generally hyped up. She's a diehard World of Warcraft fan, and if anyone disses it or the Horde she will lose it. Despite her happy nature she's relatively shy. She's not afraid to stand up for herself, but she's easily hurt.

Flaws: Annoying, talkative, rather clumsy, short-tempered, and hyper. She's also addicted to World of Warcraft.

Talents: Gaming. That's about it, unless talking at a mile a minute is a talent.

History: She connected as soon as the thing became available. Problem was she didn't get in properly, so her form spazzes on occasion, and she's becoming slightly, slightly, distant.

Other: Up for love, if you can handle her.
Just another quack spouting psychobabble.

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

A ruler leads by example, not force.
— Sun Tzu