z

Young Writers Society

The Ashheim Academy (A Harry Potter Universe Tale)

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:54 am
Jagged says...

Mikhail Mogarych Lebedev - Corridors
Well, he had gone off easy. Guessed miracles did happen. Or Kaminski was in a good mood. He packed his stuff away without a word and strolled out of the classroom, one question going through his mind: what now? There was a lull betwee his classes, and there was little to do.

When in doubt, Mikhail's one rule of thumb was: wander around. Maybe he could and pester the military men currently stationed there? They'd gotten used to his hovering around, and however little they did sometimes Mikhail found them more interesting than his fellow students.

Yeah, that was good. That decision taken he made his way through the corridors, only to slow down as gunshots echoed and uniforms came into view. Not students, and standing at ease framing a door. Another traitor dealt with, then. Mikhail's gaze was dispassionate, if a little curious as to who it had been. He met the gaze of the officers, head cocked a little to the side in question. The man knew him, he'd bothered him enough; apparently now was not the time to play the hanger-on though, as a gesture indicated him to move on and scram.

Mikhail grunted, shook his head but did as ordered. Although his steps as he left were quite possibly a lot slower than his normal pace.

So he was curious. Big deal.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:01 pm
LastPaladin says...

Mark Tensa - Hospital Wing

After just so many protestations he was fine. They entered a room full of ailing kids with a kindly looking Doctor, but the unmistakeable way he held himself; It was obvious it was just one of the better soldiers.

As he was sat down on the bed, he sighed, “Really Sir, there no need?”

But nevertheless they stripped him down cleaned his wound without speaking and placed a plaster on, “The American Eagle offers you no protection here comrade, just be wary of the Russian bear.”

Mark sighed, trying to get back up, but the Doctors held him down, “Comrade, please don’t make us sedate you, after all you have guests.

“I do?”

Sure he’d notice how hot some of the girls looked, how proud they stood. But if he wanted a brainless robot he’d gone with one of the Cheerleaders in school. God, he missed his comics, he wondered what his favourite heroes were up to now. At this point he felt like one of his heroes in a new land, trying to survive, without his powers.

Those memories of lying on his bed and reading into the wee hours were gone. One thing he had noticed Soviet Union didn’t like children acting like children, so there were no comics, and no books that didn’t praise Stalin.

“Excuse me Comrade you okay?”

Climbing out of his memories he saw her, god she was a pretty little thing. And unlike the others she didn’t appear as much of a robot.
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:01 am
Vanadis says...

Professor Zhannochka Kaminski

She knocked on the door to the hospital wing and waited for the American to be bandaged up. If she wasn't so fond of Markovic, she wouldn't have even agreed to do the job for him in the first place. But he'd asked her kindly to go and question the kid, since she had a free period, and he'd be sedated enough to give her some answers. However, at that moment, Mark Tensa was staring at Zhannochka with a somewhat star-struck look in his eyes.

"Are you okay?" she asked, stepping forward. "You...you seem to think I'm someone else."

He didn't say anything at first, so she kept walking toward him, speaking just so that she wouldn't seize up. "I heard a little about what happened to you today. A student in my class told me that something had gone wrong, and I need to find out exactly what. So, do you want to tell me about it?" She stopped at the foot of his bed and stood, arms crossed, looking at him as kindly as she could and waiting patiently for an answer.

When he was done talking, Zhannochka sighed. "Well. Thank you for talking with me, Mr. Tensa." She then handed him a small bag of chocolates. "I hope you're well enough to go back to classes soon. I'll see what we can do about Boris. Good evening." She strode out of the room.

-------------------------------

"Good evening, Mr. Lebedev," she nodded as she passed him in the hall. She knew her students well; something wasn't right about the way he walked.

"Evening, Professor," he answered blandly.

"Is...something wrong?" She paused, hearing footsteps and a slightly familiar voice in a classroom. "Hold that thought, Lebedev; I'll be right back. Zhannochka entered the room without knocking that time. "General Ivanov," she interrupted. "Just the man I need to see. You, leave," she said to the student, Juliet, whom the general was talking to.

"Professor," Ivanov said. "You have something to report, I take it?"

"I do.

"There was a bit of a scuffle today, involving one of our Prefects and a handful of our other students. The victim was the American. He's in the hospital wing now. I've just questioned him. Professor Markovic, who saw the end part of the fight, and I will be speaking with more students soon enough.

"Also, General, I found today what may or may not be a spy. There was a man seen from my classroom window, leaving the school grounds, headed into the forest. Markovic, I, and another of us followed him and brought him here. I left him in the headmaster's office for further investigation."

Zhannochka looked around for a moment, only then realizing that she'd mistakenly left the door open. She cursed in her mind and then continued. "I'm honestly not sure the headmaster's going to do anything about it."

"Do you doubt him?" Ivanov asked.

"A little, yes."
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:06 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Latecomer. Don't mind me.

Spoiler! :
Name: Hazel Donovan.

Character picture:

Character theme: Wake up ~ The Living End.

Allegience: Normal.

Bloodline: Half-blood.

Appearance: Tall-ish, about 5"6 with dark brown eyes and medium brown/Mahogany hair.

Personality: Hazel hides her rebellious nature behind a shy, kind and quiet facade while plotting how next to fly under the radar. With a snarky mouth when she's not watching it and a sometimes too confident attitude, Hazel often gets in trouble and has done so one too many times. Though she's smart and talented, her downfall is her temper and her smart mouth. She often acts before thinking. When Hazel is not getting into trouble, she's often trying to avoid fights as some students highly dislike her kind ways.

Background: Hazel grew up with her non-magical Aunt in St Petersburg and eventually started attending Ashheim Academy. Her parents died when she was very young--killed by a dark wizard. Her childhood was okay, but never happy.

Abilities: Magic, though she rarely uses it, prefering a hands-on approach rather than the magical solution.

Misc: Although Hazel dislikes fighting, she's pretty much a natural. Magic-wise, she loves her combat spells.

Equipment: A wand (Elm, 16", phoenix feather core) and a dagger tucked into her left boot.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:21 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

***I'm losing interest in this one. Just let my character vanish.***
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

164 Reviews

Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:12 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

***Scratch this post.***
Last edited by AyumiGosu17 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:52 pm
Tenyo says...

*Edited. Sorry for any confusion.*

-- Dima, Music Room --

He peered round the door. The only piano was already taken, but he'd dragged Juliet too far out of her way to just turn around.

'Sorry, are we interupting?' He asked.

'Yes.' Anna said bluntly.

'Perhaps we could join you?'

'No.'

'Juliet can you sing from sheet music?'

Juliet nodded. She took a place on one of the desks and leant back, growing bored of their excusion.

'Hey! I'm busy here!' Anna argued. Dima, seemingly, held out his hand and a file from one of the bookcases hovered towards him without wand or command.

'How did you do that?' Juliet said quietly.

'Magic-'

'Obviously.'

'You whispered it,' Anna said. 'I heard you.' Dima raised his eyebrows. Magic had a way of taking away the wonder of non-magical abilities, but he was quite impressed. She was the first to ever hear him mutter the incantation without the aid of magic. 'Will you leave now?'

'Please let us stay?' Dima asked one last time, and held the music out for Anna to take a look at. She only had a chance to glimpse at it once, before someone else entered.

Dima learned the newcommers name to be Ivanov- only when a second entered, and spoke as if to an ill-trained animal.

'Leave.'

'Thanks,' Anna scowled to Dima, who put one arm around her shoulders to steer her away from Ivanov, to whom he gave the coldest stare he could. Once they were out the room she shrugged him away, and he leant against the wall waiting for the unwelcomed visitors to leave.
Last edited by Tenyo on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We were born to be amazing.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:31 pm
Rydia says...

Valentina

Someone had been helping the American kid to the hospital wing? Again? Valya could feel her face twisting into a grimace as she realised this was probably the work of Boris. What was his problem? Maybe she should try to talk some sense into him or- except that would mean actually finding him. Valya let out a sigh and then stepped back with a yelp of surprise as Calina sprung out of her chair. Had she made the connection too? Was she mad, was she going to tell Valya that it was her place to do something?

“Hey, mind if I come along with you to help find Boris?” Calina asked. Now that had been unexpected. Valentina hesitated and then gave her a weary nod. Yes. It was about time she found her bully of a boyfriend and having somebody else around might at least keep her thinking sensible thoughts.

"I suppose outside is a good place to start. He's probably keeping an eye on everyone," Valya suggested but what she really meant to say was that he was bound to be lurking around a corner, ready to prey on another victim. She swallowed hard and tried to give Calina a friendly smile. No sense in making her problems the gossip of the school.

"Does he keep an eye on you as well?" Calina asked, giving her a strange look. Valentina hesitated, not sure if she had understood the question. She decided to be cautious.

"Oh he knows I'll not get myself into trouble." She forced an airy laugh and opened a door to the court-yard. Passing through she felt a chill run along her spine. What if Boris really was bullying someone else? Would she try to intervene? Valya thought that she would, yes, but she never did know how she'd react around her boyfriend. Love could make a person do strange things.

"Won't you?" Calina asked. That look again. Valya didn't think anyone else could show interest and disinterest at the same time. It was crazy. But then... well she'd heard the rumours. Most people thought Calina was as weird as you could get.

It was hard to decide on an answer to the question and Valya decided that sometimes saying nothing was best. Except the growing silence made her feel awkward! She had to say something, ask a question or- something! "What do you think we'll be doing in potions this afternoon?"
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

164 Reviews

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:43 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Alec sighed. This was perfect. He helps a poor little outcast and he's captured, taken back to the school to be questioned. A fine way to thank a samaritan. But he sort of expected it; he had been a little brusque and roguish in his manners. If he needed to blame anyone, it was himself. But he wasn't about to admit that.

He came quietly, hoping this behavior would spare him some harsh treatments. He had heard the people talking about the headmaster, and the possibility of being a spy and fitting punishment. And now he was sitting inside an office, about to be interrogated.

A damn nice mess you've gotten yourself into, he told himself. Which is worse: a headmaster or Stalin?

He looked up when the door opened slightly, a man entering and staring down at him. Alec swallowed. "I take it you're the headmaster?"

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:28 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Hazel Donovan ~ Outside the Headmaster's Office:

The hall was dusty with sunlight and the chair I was currently sitting on was extremely uncomfortable. How much longer did I have to wait? I thought, staring hard at the door. The headmaster had just entered his office and was now yelling at someone. I winced as he called the person a traitor and a spy. What the.... Okay. I'm not going there.

I'd been sitting there for almost an hour, wondering why I'd been called up. I hadn't done anything wrong had I? Or had I let slip something I shouldn't have? I sighed and and stretched out my legs, frowning up at the ceiling. This was gonig to take way too long.

"Do you take me for a fool? I know what game you're palying at!"

I blinked and looked towards the closed door. What? Was he yelling again? I hope he doesn't yell at me... Sitting up straighter, I leaned forwards and closer to the door. I didn't hear a reply but I did hear a dull thud. Did the Headmaster just hit someone? I thought, shocked.

"Don't you dare use that excuse." The was a long pause and then the Headmaster spoke again. "You're a spy for the rebels, young man. I know it. You don't like Stalin, do you?"

There was a half-muttered reply that I didn't catch and another dull thud. I blinked, not believing my ears. This was serious and not the best thing I'd overheard in a long time.

"Don't you dare threaten me," hissed the Headmaster and suddenly the room fell silent.

Uh oh. This can't be good. The silence stretched on for a few minutes and then the door opened. The Headmaster strode out, saw me and paused. And then he slowly, and very deliberately, slamed his office door.

"Miss Donovan, I persume?" he asked and I nodded, not trusting myself to speak. "How can I help you?"
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:51 pm
Jagged says...

Mikhail Mogarich Lebedev - Corridors
Nothing to be done there, he decided eventually, and maybe it was for the better. The guys in charge got pissed easily, and if he wasn't wrong, Ivanov was the one around at the moment. Not the nicest man, and if he was in a bad mood, having Mikhail in his way might only make it worse. Sullenly walking away, he stared at the bare walls as he wondered what to do.

That is, he started to, before professor Kaminski came past. He answered to her greeting perfunctorily, mind still half wondering what on earth was going on in that room, and blinked at her when she asked if anything was wrong. Was there? He wasn't aware of it, so he opened his mouth to answer, only to shut it again when she turned to enter the room. Should he leave?

Nah. She said she'd be right back, so there was his excuse to loiter around. He leaned back against the wall, hands in his pockets, eyed with curiosity the girl that scurried out of the room. She seemed alright, if a bit nervous, so she probably hadn't been with Ivanov long. Juliet... something, wasn't it? He'd seen her hanging around, though she was in the lower years.

What was more interesting was that she'd left the door open. He was more than tempted to go and peek, but the soldiers stationed there were still watching him.

Fine. He caught up with Juliet a few meters down the corridor.

"You alright?" It was mostly rhetorical, but it bore asking.

"Fine," she grumbled, glaring at nothing in particular. "I hate that guy."

He furrowed his brows, expression disapproving and tone hardening. “The general is doing his job to keep the school free of traitors and spies. The least you could do is keep your complaints to yourself.” If she wanted to survive, she’d listen. Mikhail knew some of his fellow students were more than keen on the regime.

And this Juliet was definitely one of them, if the way her glare redirected itself to him was anything to go by.

“Oh, you’re one of them, aren’t you?”

He scowled, disliking her tone. "What if I am?"
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:25 pm
Tenyo says...

- Dima, Corridors -

Juliet had walked off in a hurry before Dima and Anna could follow. Mikhail, the boy who had been in the fight earlier, joined her side.

'You're one of them, aren't you,' Juliet said, not doing much to hide her bad mood.

'What if I am?' He said, in a tone that Dima didn't like.

'Who's them?' Dima muttered to Anna, who seemed more interested in finding her next destination than actually walking with him.

'How should I know.'

'Come on.' He moved closer to try and listen on the conversation. When he got close enough to hear Juliet turned around, followed by Mikhail. Both girls seemed to be furious, though for different reasons. Dima glared at Mikhail.

'Something you want?' Mikhail said.
We were born to be amazing.

164 Reviews

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Alec - Headmaster's Office

Alec groaned, pushing himself off the floor and wiping blood away from his lip. That went well... he thought sourly.

Now he regretted helping that American kid. What a thank you he was receiving now - being accused of being a spy, beaten, and threatened with his life and freedom. And by a Stalin-praising Headmaster no less; he had no doubt there was a general or some other military official on the campus, waiting for a chance like this.

He sat back down in the chair, staring at the window. I'm not a spy. I'm not even associated with a specific crowd. Sure, I'm not a Stalin-sympathist, but I'm no spy! He leaned his head back against the wall. He had to think of something, some way to sway the headmaster's mind toward him - to prove his innocence!

Keep me on campus - I won't go anywhere or talk to anyone outside the school. For as long as you please! Search my apartment; research my friends, as few as there are. Let me prove to you I am no spy.

He sighed; a fat chance that that would even work, but he had to try. All he could do now was wait for his return...

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:53 pm
Jas says...

I'm not really into this SB anymore. Sorry. You could kill off my character or just let her sink into the backround :)
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:37 pm
Octave says...

Anatolii Ivanov

A teenager he thought familiar crossed paths with the petulant girl he'd scolded. Their brief conversation wafted through the air. The conversation struck him as odd, and he saw two other students glare at Mikhail as they passed him by.

It was done. Anatolii's curiosity was drawn, and he would not be deterred. He ought to be returning now, but no one would mind if he brought along one spy with him. The wind forced the trees' leaves to dance in response, as if discouraging Anatolii from prying further into the matter.

But how could he let it go? This little girl could jeopardize everything if he was right. If she was a spy, she would draw Stalin's attention to the spies in school, and the madman would impose stricter rules on everything. Anatolii was having a hard enough time as is. He did not need any morons fiddling around and ruining his plans.

His footsteps scared the two students away from Mikhail, sending them scurrying down the hall away from him. As if Anatolii was some lethal plague in human form.

"Mikhail," Anatolii said in his most pleasant voice. Mikhail saluted at the general, who returned it. "What was that I heard about Juliet?"

It didn't matter what Mikhail said at this point. Anatolii knew one thing for sure - Juliet had something against him. Anyone who had anything against Anatolii shouldn't exist. Anatolii would bring the insolent girl to the Ministry of Records later. And she would disappear from the history of the world forever, after that.

A little baseless accusation always went a long way.
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
— Mark Twain