z

Young Writers Society

The fall of Marr

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:18 am
eldEr says...

SHANILIA

I stared out the tower window at the half-destroyed town. My half destroyed town. The town that thought me dead to the world and if they new I was alive, would probably kill me. Joy to the world, I was stuck in what remained of the palace, and that wasn't much. The library, the throne room, most of the east side was still up. The west side on the other hand wasn't so lucky. Then there was this tower. My sanctuary.

I sighed, deciding it was time to leave. I descended down the twisting staircase and into the secret underground passage way that lead into the throne room. The lanterns were dimming and I made note of it to light them the next time I was down here. Or I could get Shanti to relight them. But Shanti hated the tunnels.

I made it to the throne-room and changed my mind about the library. Nobody knew their should-be-dead princess was a shape-shifter. I left the palace occasionally as something that wasn't myself. This power was my second-biggest secret. Not even Shanti knew about it, and Shanti had been the only company I'd had since the wizard. Now seemed like a decent time to shift into something and leave. A tiger would work. Why not?

I smirked, dropped my sword and strapped my daggar to my ankle with the same loose band I always did before shifting. I glanced around for Shanti, who wasn't around as far as I could tell and quickly removed my dress. "Sterling!" I called sweetly and he came twittering in, landing on the throne. With everything in order, I focused on my transformation.

Sterling landed on my shoulder, which was now covered in fur, and I pushed the palace door open. It had been a week since I had gone out. I was due for a little visit on my dusty town. Let's just hope the civilians didn't want to kill their tiger.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:27 pm
Kelcia says...

Daniel

Daniel sighed and laid down his dusting cloth. It was important to take proper care of the books, he knew, but what, really, was the point? No one, saving the prince and princess, perhaps, would want to venture into the library anymore. After all, a good number of the nobles were dead – not to mention the king and queen.

But then again... that meant that no one would be using the library. That, in turn, meant that he could use it himself, and not have to worry about prudes telling him to get back to the kitchens. He smiled slightly. Perhaps this wouldn’t be so bad. However, for now, he had more important matters to attend to.

The eastern kitchens of the palace had, mercifully, escaped major damage. And though the cook insisted that the water pump was ruined, and that four of his outdoor ovens would never again heat so much as a brick, Daniel could not help but remind him that the other two kitchens in the west side had it far worse. That normally shut the cook up. Not today, however.

“I had lent my good copper pans to Ulrich.” Chef said stubbornly, speaking of another castle cook. An ex-cook, to be exact.

“Well, it doesn’t appear that Ulrich will be returning them any time soon,” Daniel said, tapping his fingers impatiently against the side of his leg. “Now, what did you want of me?”

“To find them in the rubble!” cried Chef, distressed. “Those pans cost me an arm and a leg. And you still take orders from me, right?”

“Aye,” said Daniel, resisting the urge to argue.

“Then get moving,” Chef dismissed him with a curt wave. “I have dinner to fix.”

“I’ll try,” said Daniel, already halfway out the door, “but if crushed disks are all I discover, I hope you find some use for them.” He shot Chef a wicked smile, before closing the door and heading for the pile of rubble that was once the west wing.
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:05 pm
Tenyo says...

Hey Em! Kima absorbs energy, Hat makes little balls of light, light counts as energy so do you reckon they could co-operate to boost her power?

-Hat-

He checked the contents of the cart was still in tact and looked around. He'd barely seen the person who hit him, though it wasn't a fist, he was sure of that. Then again he had hit them with a tin of beans, something he should certainly apologise for. Only rotton boys didn't apologise.

He dragged the rattling cart in the direction the person had gone, towards an alley. When he reached the entrance two men who looked like thieves ran past. One of them tripped over the cart and seemed like he was about to lash out with a dagger when he looked back towards the alley, paused with a look of horror, and pelted forward after his companion.

Hat stepped toward the wall. Whatever had scared the thieves must have been bad. It could hurt him, like it did before. He could even die. Or he could struggle with the decision for so long that he died of old age.

When he finally came to a conclusion he sighed and stepped into the alley.

There was a girl standing there, breathing heavily and leaning against the wall.

'Are you alright?' He asked softly, fearful that whatever she had just experienced might have traumatised her for life. Then he fit her figure into the blur that hit him.

She stepped forward defensively, as if he was the one who might be angry with her. Well, she had almost knocked him out, so he had reason to be.

'I just wanted to say sorry.' He said, hoping she would understand. What if she had somehow lost her mind, he might never be able to apologise, and he would always be a rotton boy. 'I'm really sorry about the tin of beans...'
We were born to be amazing.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:18 pm
SisterItaly says...

ya i guess so skins

KIMA

I felt my face go pale, "that was you? I'm sorry if i hurt you! I wasn't thinking." He smiled, chuckling a little.
"It's ok, im fine." I smiled at him.
"Where you heading with that?" I said, gesturing at the cart.
"Anywhere i can stash it." I smiled.
"Mind if i accompany you? I'm not going anywhere special." He shrugged walking back to his cart.
"If you want to." I walked up beside him.
"I hope it doesn't start raining again." I looked up at the sky, falling into pace with him.
"Ya, that stupid wizard. What was the king thinking making that deal with him?" I chuckled nervously, was he mad at the royal family? I was mad at my uncle, but not the others, and not to the extent that i would have killed him.
"It's not all their faults you know. Some of them didn't even know about the wizard until it was too late." i said looking up at him. Nervously awaiting his response.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

384 Reviews

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:02 am
eldEr says...

SHANILIA

I sprawled on the tree branch, watching the two. A boy and a girl. They were talking about the Royal Family, my family. I glared at them through my tiger-eyes and growled lowly.

They turned their heads to face me and I jumped to the ground, my tail twitching. They backed up and I sat down, staring at them. Wasn't everyday you saw a tiger roaming around Marr, much less a royal tiger.

I rolled onto my stomach and batted at the air, trying to act cute. I had long decided it wouldn't be such a good idea for them to see need to kill me. Ha. It would probably freak them out to have me morph back to a princess...a naked one at that. Oh yes, I needed to stay alive.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

66 Reviews

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:09 am
SisterItaly says...

KIMA

I watched the tiger with fascination.
"How do you think it got in here?" I asked, not taking my eyes off of it.
"I'm not sure, but i think we should leave it alone. It might have a disease from the rain."
I nodded in agreement. Something about it reminded me of someone i knew. Not quiet sure who. I took a few steps towards it, we were plain in each others view. I studied it's features. I couldn't quiet guess who it was... but i decided it's best to leave it alone. I ran back over to the guy, realizing i never got his name.
"Let's just leave it. I'm Kima by the way." He smiled widely.
"Hat." That was such an odd name. Yet intriguing.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

The Book.

384 Reviews

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:15 am
View Likes
eldEr says...

SHANILIA

I rolled my eyes. Kima and Hat. I would have to remember those names. But a disease from the rain? As if.

I got up and followed them, trotting happily. They were the only people other than the servants I had been around in ages. Mostly because the servants were the only ones I trusted with my life. Heck, I didn't even trust some of them.

I pushed my head under Hat's hand and he jumped away. I gave him a lopsided tiger grin and nuzzled against Kima. I only had a couple more hours like this, I might as well enjoy them. I gave a low growl, trying not to sound too threatening.

I still had that daggar around my leg...Maybe I should have taken it off rather than put it on. I pawed at the bottom of Kima's dress absently. Just because I had a human mind didn't mean I didn't share some kitty-like instincts.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

66 Reviews

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:23 am
SisterItaly says...

KIMA

The tiger had followed us. I guess that was cool, as long as it didn't try and kill us. I stroked its head, as it pawed at my dress. Just like a kitten. Hat looked half interested at this. But he was a little wary about the tiger.
"I wonder why it's so friendly." He finally commented. I shrugged.
"Not quiet sure, but i like it. I really don't socialize, never really fit in as a child."
"Really? i would have never guessed." He said half hearted.
"eh, well. I'm being to open here, tell me about yourself." He smiled.
"Not much to say." I wouldn't pry, we just met. I didn't want to lose the only person that i could even consider a friend. The tiger purred a little, i concentrated on stroking it's fur, something to take my mind off things.

The Book.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:34 am
emoticon220 says...

Zahra

I had been walking for miles. I had no idea where i was going, who i was, or why my parents were dead. all i knew was that if i was lost always walk in a straight line. I think. Finally i sat down under a tree. maybe if i sat there long enoguh someone would find me, or i would die. Either way, life would get better.

I scampered up the tree and knocked down a bunch of leaves. they were the long skinny ones with long stems. At least i would have something to do while i wait. I gathered the leaves by me and began to weave. Not sure how i remembered to do that. it just came to me. If i could remember how to weave i could remember my name. i thought for a while. then i woke up. I had no idea how long i had been asleep. probably only an hour or so seeeing as though it was still sunny and i had goten a sunburn. i returned to my basket making when a name popped into my head.
Zahra
Great i have my name and a basket made out of leaves. and this will help me how?

(could someone find Zahra and bring her into the story? i haven't been able to post recently. if you could that would be great!)
O thin men of Haddam,/Why do you imagine golden birds?/Do you not see how the blackbird/Walks around the feet/Of the women about you?
-Wallace Stevens

384 Reviews

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:42 am
eldEr says...

SHANILIA

I purred, man did being stroked like that feel good. Who would have guessed? I turned my head in the direction of the palace. I should probably get back before somebody noticed my empty dress lying on the floor...

I licked Kima's hand and growled at Hat before turning around and plodding back to the palace. It would really not be a good thing if they found my dress and I wasn't in it... It also wouldn't be a good thing if I was followed. Wow, maybe interacting was a stupid idea after all.

I finally got to the palace doors and took a quick scan of the area around me. Satisified that nobody was around, I slunk into the palace and grabbed my dress and sword between my teeth. Thank God nobody had found it. I slunk behind my father's throne and shifted back, pulling my dress on quickly. Stupid thing had way to many layers for its own good...and this was one of the thinnest ones I owned.

Finally I was back inside clothes. Another reason to thank God...none of the servants had walked in while I was changing.

I had actually made contact with somebody today. One of which I was pretty sure hated the Royal Family, in which I was apart of. Well screw him. I would have to come back in my grizzly bear form later and hunt him down.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:08 pm
Tenyo says...

-Hat-

Hat sighed and looked around. He caught sight of a girl sitting by a tree, weaving a basket? The task seemed as pointless as his cart of metal. The metal wasn't pointless, it could be turned into a perfectly good blade, had the hammer and anvil not been buried under rubble. He glanced at the cart, and wondered briefly why the tiger had not been scared off by the rattling.

Then an idea sprung to him and he hurried forward towards the girl making the basket. Kima followed behind him. He squatted down in front of the girl with the basket.

'That'll break as soon as you put something in it.' He said in a monotoned voice. The girl looked up at him. Her eyes were different colours, and she looked familiar, but perhaps she had just been passing by one day. Eyes like that would be hard to forget.

'What?' She asked. He sat down on the floor, scowling slightly when he realised he would now be getting his trousers dirty. From the cart he carefully pulled a roll of metal wire, looping the end in case she cut herself.

'Weave that into it, then cut the ends with...' He took a penknife from his pocket, looked at the blade and the craft work of the leather his brother had bound to it. He was stuck in the city now, and may perhaps not find his family again. He sniffled slightly. He couldn't give her a knife anyway, she looked younger than him anyway so it would be irresponsible. 'I'll cut the ends when you're done.'
We were born to be amazing.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:30 pm
emoticon220 says...

Zahra

well, i didnt die. i was under the tree weaving when i hear a voice.
"That'll break as soon as you put someting in it"
I looked up, it was a boy, a little older then me, and a girl, also older than me. the boy was...what in the world? he had a cart, full of metal bits. he sat down, he seemed angry, probably because the ground was dirty, pfft, wow. he handed me a roll of wire.
"weave this into it" he said, "then cut it with..." he stared into space with a sad look on his face, "ill cut the ends when your done."
it was at that very moment that i had another memory. I am 15. I glared at the older boy, he was treating me like a baby, when i was clearly on my own and almost an adult.
"I am 15 years old, i am not a baby. and my basket has no purpose but to provide me with something to do. therefor it will not break, because nothing will go into it." He seemed taken aback, but he didnt say anything so i continued.
"My name is Zahra, my parents died and i have no idea how. i just remembered my name and age before you came. i am almost an adult." i handed him back his wire and shook my head.
"sorry, im just not my self today. where are you going? my i come with?"
O thin men of Haddam,/Why do you imagine golden birds?/Do you not see how the blackbird/Walks around the feet/Of the women about you?
-Wallace Stevens

66 Reviews

Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:20 am
SisterItaly says...

KIMA

"I think i know where you could stash your cart, hat." He stood up, offering me his hand. I grabbed it and he helped me up, so i helped Zahra.
"And where would that be?" I smiled.
"The west wing of the castle, that place is in ruins, so no one goes in there." He raised an eyebrow.
"How do you know?" I felt my face go pale.
"I just do." He grabbed his cart.
"Fine, let's stash it before it starts to rain..." He started dragging it down the road towards the castle. I longed t go back to the castle, maybe i could sneak back to my room, and change.

The Book.

384 Reviews

Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:07 pm
eldEr says...

SHANILIA

I sighed loudly, already bored with life. Sterling twittered and landed on my shoulder as I walked through the dusty hallways. Where to go? I didn't want to go back to my room and I couldn't very well go back to the tower yet. Why not? I argued with myself. To be totally honest, I wasn't sure. I just didn't really feel like walking the tunnels at the moment.

I could go to the library... "What do you think Sterling? The library sound good?" I muttered. Wow, I was starting to sound crazy. So long in isolation couldn't possibly be healthy. I was talking to a bird for goodness sakes. Then again, lots of people talked to their pets didn't they?

I shook my head and made my way towards the library. At least I had peace and quiet there. When I arrived, I grabbed a random book from the shelf. I would read whatever at this point. I was plummeted into an overstuffed sofa and cracked open the book. Some ancient romance story about some old hag finding love at age seventy.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:25 pm
Kelcia says...

Daniel

Daniel winced as a cold wind blew through the open kitchen window. He was tired, battered, blistered and burnt from an hour rummaging around in the magical rubble. At one point during his search, he had pushed aside a toppled cabinet and was blasted by magical residue. That instance left his clothes and face scorched and he abandoned the search soon afterward.

“Here,” he grunted, shoving two vaguely pan-shaped saucers and a handle at a surprised Chef. “They were all I could find. If you want the rest, you get them.” Without another word, he turned towards the door and marched out.

His black mood had somewhat lessened after he had removed his smoldering shirt and scrubbed some of the soot off of his face, although he didn’t manage to remove a large smudge covering the upper half of his face. It further disappeared as he decided to spend some down-time at the library.

As he pushed open the heavy oak doors to the library, and he had just begun to wonder where he had left that tome on the Shamans of the Plains, he caught a glimpse of a young woman slouched on a sofa. It could only have been the princess. As the door widened, Daniel saw that his guess had been correct, and he immediately adopted a servile manner.

He said not a word, but walked past her with his head humbly bowed, as was the way. With a straight back and a business-like attitude, he began to dust the books again.
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

I am always saying "Glad to've met you" to somebody I'm not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, though.
— Holden Caulfield