z

Young Writers Society

The Hunger Games

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue May 25, 2010 3:10 am
ridersofdamar says...

Hey! So, I proposed the idea and it seemed to have some support, so I decided I would go ahead and create it. Some knowledge of the books is required, but if you want to join and haven't read the books, try and read up on this website, and if you still have questions, PM me and I'll answer any questions you have. This will take place in the second quarter quell, which if you've read the second book will be a slight deviation from the story. This choice was made to allow us the most time to write, and the most liberty to do what we want (mostly because there are more character options). This is being run by Ultraviolet and I.

The Setting~~
Years ago the thirteenth district of Panem rebelled against The Capitol and were subsequently wiped off the globe. Every year since, twelve contestants are chosen to compete in the Hunger games; a reminder to the rebels of how little power they have.

Every year on the reaping, one boy and one girl, ages twelve to eighteen, are chosen to represent their district in a gladiatorial fight to the death. The tributes are sent on a lavish train to the capitol, where they are put on parade and then allowed to train for the games. After training they show their skills to the judges and are then given a score. After one night of rest they are interviewed and the next day the games begin. The games are broadcast all over Panem on little cameras that are so small you never know when they are watching you. The people want war, and in the Hunger Games, they are always satisfied.

However, this year is special. Its the fiftieth anniversary of the hunger games, which means it's the second quarter quell, which means the rules change. President Snow comes on the television and announces the new rules: there will be twice the number of tributes. Two boys, two girls from each district, which means there are 48 contestants shoved in an arena specifically designed to kill them.

You~~
You will be a tribute from one of the twelve districts. As the spots are taken, I will cross them out. Please be civil about choosing spots. As the tributes die in the story I will make the font red. Remember, not all of these spaces will be filled (we will ideally have only ten people, so the rest can easily die).

District 1- Is one of the wealthier districts of Panem. Its industry is making luxury items for the Capitol. Most of their tributes are called Careers, or people who volunteer for the games and have previous training.
M F M F

District 2- Is another Career district. It is unknown what they produce, but they are one of the wealthier districts.
M F M F

District 3- District 3's main industry is electronics. They specialize in televisions, automobiles, and explosives. They do not have many victors, but every once and a while someone extremely clever will win the games.
M F M F

District 4- District 4 is one of the districts of Panem. Its industry is fishing, which is useful for tributes in the Games by teaching them how to use nets and tridents, make fishhooks from scratch, and identify edible sea life. Being one of the wealthier districts, District 4 tends to produce Career Tributes who volunteer to participate in the Games.
M F M F

District 5- Nothing is known about this district
M F M F

District 6- Nothing is known about this district
M F M F

District 7 - Almost nothing is known about District 7, except that their main industry is lumber.
M F M F

District 8- Its principal industry is the production of textiles.
M F M F

District 9- Nothing is known about this district
M F M F

District 10- Its industry is livestock.
M F M F

District 11- One of the poorer districts, it produces most of the nations agriculture, although they get little themselves.
M F M F

District 12- Probably the poorest and most overlooked district. They produce coal, and most of its inhabitants live in the Seam, making a living off of illegal activities.
M F M F

Character Palette~~

Name:
District:
Appearance: picture if you want. Also, the standard uniform for inside the ring consists of light brown pants that are warm, a grey undershirt, and a black hooded jacket. All of these items are designed to stay warm and to be comfortable. The socks are long and soft, and the shoes are medium length boots with soft soles (very similar to the outfit in the book).
Personality:
Specialty/skills: as in, what are they good at. Bow and arrow? Baking cakes?
History: This can include family, any sort of training in anything that is helpful in the games, and most importantly, did they volunteer, or get reaped, and how did they respond to it
Survival technique: Team up with the careers, stay away from the action, take your pick
Up for allies:
Other:
Death Place: the winner of course doesn't die. From there it descends 1 would be the last to die, 2 would be second to last etc. If you want to be the winner please PM me your profile first. It has to be possible for your character to win, not just luck (sorry).

Rules~~
- Don't god mod. These are scared teenagers (except for the careers maybe) so make it seem like it.
- Lets try to NOT have seven Katniss mimics, ok?
- If you want a gift from your sponsor then you will have to post it in the DT first for approval.
- Any items you get from the Cornucopia (a horn in the center of all of the tributes at the start of the games that holds all sorts of equipment) must be approved first, unless you are a career, but then you must act like one and only carry certain supplies.
- I and my co-leader will control the Gamekeepers
- Be friendly
- Don't kill other players without permission. After you die, PM me if you would still like to be involved and I will find a way.
-IMPORTANT: here are the rules of the Hunger Games (in story). At the start you can not step off of our pad until the sixty seconds has passed and the horn is blown. If you go too early you will be blown up. The only other rule is not to eat the other tributes.

The Arena~~
As you rise on your silver plate, you stand in a meadow. The other tributes are in a circle, all evenly spaced around the Cornucopia. All around you rise tall, rocky, mountains covered in sparse trees. A coniferous forest spreads out in all directions, covering what appears to be most of the arena. Behind you the meadow opens up into a boulder strewn field that slopes down to a glacier fed lake. A waterfall cascades over a cliff into the lake. It seems to be coming from high up in the mountains. A wide (ten meters) river flows next to the cornucopia down to the lake. It to seems to come from the mountains. You have sixty seconds before you start. Step off before the gong rings and a land mine will blow you up.
Last edited by ridersofdamar on Thu May 27, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Tue May 25, 2010 3:18 am
ultraviolet says...

I call a girl from District 11 who's in 3rd place, dieing wise. Oh, and I'm the co-leader riversofdamar was talking about, by the way.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

42 Reviews

Tue May 25, 2010 3:31 am
ridersofdamar says...

Name: James Holt

District: 4

Appearance: He is tall and well muscled from spending so much time on boats hauling crates of fish. He looks like this.

Personality: Before the games he was a warm person who always had a smile, which is part of the reason he was able to keep himself fed after his father died. He has remarkable will power and perseverance, which he makes up for in a lack of intelligence. He was never schooled through books, but instead by going though life. He learned which plants to eat the hard way, and which meat cuts were the best through trial and error, but through all of this he was still kind. The games changed that. He instantly went ice-cold, and is determined to do whatever he can to cause life to emerge from this disaster, whether it is guiding someone who he feels deserves it through the games, or simply killing everyone. He will do whatever it takes to make his death mean something.

Specialty/skills: He is very skilled with a knife since he worked as a butcher on land, and helped prepare the fish while at sea. He knows where arteries are located and thus where to cut if he wants to make a clean kill. He is also a good climber, at least on rock, because he climbs the cliffs bordering the sea to get the eggs of the birds that nest there.

History: His mother died giving birth to him so he was raised by his father as an only son. They had a fairly easy life with a lot of spare time. However since they were more lower class the Peacekeepers watched them more and he could not spend that time preparing in case he was chosen for the games. His father invented a dance-like martial art that could be disguised as a dance, so it could be taught, but when used would allow James to defend himself. Two years ago his dad died, leaving him alone. In order to make all the money he needed to survive he opened a delivery service where he would literally run fish or other goods across the city. He kept preparing in his off time, just in case he was picked, because it was what his father would have wanted. When it came time for reaping and he was chosen no one stood up to take his place, as the other three spots had already been filled by the careers. He was not sad that he was reaped because no one would miss him, but he also knew that he was going to die, however he vowed to make his death mean something to someone else in the arena who might not make it otherwise.

Survival technique: Generally stay in the shadows and pick off the careers one by one.

Up for allies: yes. he is looking for one person who he thinks deserves to go home, so that he can help them.

Other: His token is a necklace made out of a thin string and small part of the spine of a shark.

Death Place: 4th
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Tue May 25, 2010 3:40 am
ultraviolet says...

Name: Abby Kale

District: 11

Appearance: picture if you want. Also, the standard uniform for inside the ring consists of light brown pants that are warm, a grey undershirt, and a black hooded jacket. All of these items are designed to stay warm and to be comfortable. The socks are long and soft, and the shoes are medium length boots with soft soles (very similar to the outfit in the book). She looks a little younger than the picture.

Spoiler! :

Personality: Fierce. Unforgiving. Determined. Realizes the seriousness of the situation and isn't taking the games lightly. Isn't going to make friends, because if she has to, she will kill them.

Specialty/skills: as in, what are they good at. Bow and arrow? Baking cakes? Is especially good at hand to hand combat with knives and daggers. Like Rue, is swift and small and good in the trees. Has a high pain tolerance.

History: This can include family, any sort of training in anything that is helpful in the games, and most importantly, did they volunteer, or get reaped, and how did they respond to it Her mother died giving birth to Trina, her little sister who is now eight. Her dad does the best he can, but it's hard. Abby volunteered for the hunger games the first year she can and is determined to win, in order to give her family a better life.

Survival technique: Team up with the careers, stay away from the action, take your pick Stay out of everyone's way, let them kill each other, wait it out, and when there is only a few left, go in for the kill.

Up for allies: Maybe, but don't bet your life on it. Will only team up with someone if she thinks it will benefit her in any significant way. Will not under any circumstances stay with a person when there are less than five other tributes out there, and even that's pushing it.

Other: Her token is a piece of dried up apple from one of the fruit of the trees she works with. It is strung on a piece of twine and turned into a necklace.

Death Place: the winner of course doesn't die. From there it descends 1 would be the last to die, 2 would be second to last etc. If you want to be the winner please PM me your profile first. It has to be possible for your character to win, not just luck (sorry). 3rd.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Tue May 25, 2010 10:35 am
Day says...

They did something like this on the Hunger Games forum although I missed the signups so I am excited to see it on here.

Spoiler! :
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewgroup.php?f=330

I'm going to post a profile later. So I'll claim:

District 1
Boy
Finish place (did you want us to include, ultraviolet did): 5 (from winner)
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Tue May 25, 2010 10:37 am
ToritheMonster says...

could i be the winner? ;) if so, called it.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

42 Reviews

Tue May 25, 2010 11:16 am
ridersofdamar says...

if you want to be the winner PM me your profile.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Tue May 25, 2010 11:32 am
kidashka says...

Maybe this would be better?

Elinor Brynn wrote:We will not know the death order until everyone has joined. With that said, I'm going to limit the spots to 12. That way nobody has to play a character that gets killed off two seconds into the game. Once 12 people have joined put all the names in a hat-and then I will post the death order here, so keep your eyes peeled.

So maybe fairer than first come, first served?

That said, if not I claim 2nd place! :smt003
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Tue May 25, 2010 1:53 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

I'll take the 6th death place then. :)
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue May 25, 2010 9:48 pm
Bandgeek says...

Do you have a space open? 9th dead.
Last edited by Bandgeek on Wed May 26, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh no! I'm going into the cave. Wha... Call m... Lat... I'm... *Turns phone off* Yes lost them!

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Tue May 25, 2010 10:10 pm
Jas says...

Name: Arianna Fadel

District: 7

Appearance: picture if you want. Also, the standard uniform for inside the ring consists of light brown pants that are warm, a grey undershirt, and a black hooded jacket. All of these items are designed to stay warm and to be comfortable. The socks are long and soft, and the shoes are medium length boots with soft soles (very similar to the outfit in the book).): She has thin, light brown hair, dark green eyes and is small and petite. People think she's like 12 because she's so small.

Personality: In reality, she's loud, she taunts people, she's violent and aggressive. She pulls off the cute little girl act and gets everyone to believe she couldn't hurt a fly. She purposely screwed up her score so she won't be taken seriously.She really can't fight very well, but she is extremely persuasive and if nothing works, she'll just chuck a dagger at you. She is sarcastic but in a cute funny way. Hates when people assume that since she's young, she'll die first, but doesn't let it show. She will get you to trust her than stab you in the back, literally.

Specialty/skills: as in, what are they good at. Bow and arrow? Baking cakes?: Heavy knives and axes.

History: This can include family, any sort of training in anything that is helpful in the games, and most importantly, did they volunteer, or get reaped, and how did they respond to it: She was reaped and cried immediately. She comes from district 7 and spent her life chucking knives into wood, so she's pretty strong.

Survival technique: Team up with the careers, stay away from the action, take your pick: She will get to the compassionate ones, the ones who don't want to be there and are scared as hell. She'll get them to love her, then kill them.

Up for allies: Sort of...see above.

Other: She WILL get you to trust her.

Death Place: the winner of course doesn't die. From there it descends 1 would be the last to die, 2 would be second to last etc. If you want to be the winner please PM me your: Winner :D
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Tue May 25, 2010 10:31 pm
ToritheMonster says...

okay, I pmed my profile.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed May 26, 2010 12:10 am
View Likes
Bandgeek says...

Name: Cassius Grof

District: 4

Appearance: Shorter than average,big green eyes,shaggy/greasy dirty blond hair that hangs over his thin face. Muscled arms and legs hidden under a gray under-shirt.

Personality: Dark, likes to be alone, depressed, sees no reason to live, brave, actor.

Specialty/skills: Actor, great swimmer can hold breath for 10 minutes,Large fishing spears.

History: Mom and Dad were a little richer than average, Cassius was the only kid. He trained as a Career till he was 13, that was when both his parents were killed in mob violence.He sunk into a depression. The only way he could see out of the situation was dieing. He volunteered because he didn't want to have his best friend, Clara, blame herself for his suicide. Thought he would die anyway, so Cassius entered.

Survival techniques: Doesn't plan on living. Just pretending to try winning.

Up for allies: If the person may turn on him, yes.

Other:Has a habit of playing with the shark tooth necklace Clara gave him.

Death place: 9th
Last edited by Bandgeek on Wed May 26, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Oh no! I'm going into the cave. Wha... Call m... Lat... I'm... *Turns phone off* Yes lost them!

42 Reviews

Wed May 26, 2010 1:05 am
ridersofdamar says...

I think I may choose the winner out of a hat, just to be fair because that seems a valued position, but It think the others are fine as is. Thanks for joining everyone. oh, go ahead and post your profile if you PM's it to me and for death place put to be decided.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed May 26, 2010 1:25 am
Elinor says...

Name
Calina 'Callie' Anne Walker

District

Appearance
Callie is about five feet tall, and has thick, wavy brown hair with golden highlights. She has wide, hazel eyes paired with thick, arched eyebrows. Her pale, china-like skin compliments a slim, athletic figure. Being an athletic buff, she trained often and has a long, gaping scar that goes from her stomach all the way down to her knee.

Personality
Callie is extremely ruthless, and has little trust for others in the games. She deeply wants to survive, and thus will resort to murky methods. She sees alliances in the games as stupid and just stalling fate, as only can win anyway. However, she will still team up with the other careers, because she believes it will get her a lot farther up in rank if there are people that she can trust. She's quick, and sly like a fox-you never quite know what she's thinking.

Specialty/Skills
All of her life, Callie was trained in close range. She is excellent with a knife, and is so silent that you hardly hear her coming. She'll stab you in the eye, poke your eyes out, or toss it across long range.

History
Callie grew up as the only child of a respected District 1 couple, who happened to be Capitol sympathizers. They thought the districts deserved the annual punishment of the Hunger Games, and they desperately wanted to be chosen for them when they were younger. When they had a daughter, they trained her day and night and turned her into an athletic buff so that she'd win if chosen.

Survival Technique
Callie often hides in ideal spots, waiting for her enemies to come by so that she can strike up behind them. She likes to get right into the heat of the action with the rest of the careers, but often stays behind them. She's a quick runner and will wait until fighting has distracted others so that she can jump up behind her victims.

Up for Allies
Of course, as she's career, but she'll only let other careers near her unless the person in question has proven that they're a valuable ally.

Other
Thought the Hunger Games would be easy, and although she appears to be extremely tough on the outside, she's really very scared.

Death Place
To be decided.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.
— Robert Brault