z

Young Writers Society

Location Unknown: Mission Failed

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sun May 30, 2010 9:21 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

Elle~2:10~ The trial

I sat on the stand in as the prosecutor walked back came up to me.

“Dr Elle Foster you have had sessions with Isaac have you not?

“Yes I have.”

“And in fact you recently had a talk with him only hours before his murder. Am I correct?”

“Yes,” I answered having a bad feeling about where his was going.

I paused trying to think of a way to avoid the answer but I couldn’t think of one without blatantly lying. “Isaac was convinced that someone came into his room and tried to kill him.”

“And who was this individual?”

I gulped and then let out a breath of air. “He claimed that it was Roan but he also claimed that Roan changed into Riggs and then disappeared. Since Riggs is dead and people can’t just disappear I can’t take much merit in Isaacs account. His frame of mind was compromised.”

The prosecutor nodded. “What about Roan you have talked to him, what do you make of his frame of mind?”

I looked over at Roan he wasn’t looking at me but passed me in an odd detached way. I focused back on the prosecutor. “I believe that his paranoid tendencies would have aided in a bending his reality. He perceived Isaac to be one thing and in self-defense killed him. It was an accident nothing more.”

“And we should listen to your professional opinion?

“Yes,” I said.

“Then tell me about Simon Medlock,” he said with a smile.

My blood went cold. “Simon was a patient of mine on earth. He suffered from chronic worrying and paranoid delusions.”
“So he was similar to Isaac?
“In some ways I guess.”
“Ok then please explain to the court what happened to Simon.”

“He committed suicide.

“And why did he commit suicide?”

I glared at the man with pent up hatred. “I had relations with Simon. Somehow in his paranoia he became convinced I was cheating on him. In his anger towards me he killed my friend, raped me then committed suicide.”

“Don’t get involved with you patients. Isn’t that one of the number one rules to counseling? And after breaking it you sit here and try passing yourself as a professional. A professional would not have gotten involved with their patients and a professional would have seen their patient’s true sickness. Maybe that is what happened you got emotionally attached to your patients and were blinded to their true nature.

I was about to protest but he cut me off and moved on. He only wanted to discredit my opinion in front of the court and he had succeeded by bringing up one of my best kept secrets.

The prosecutor threw a notebook on the table and I recognized it immediately as Isaacs. “A lot of people call Isaac a profit. He would write down his worries in that notebook and sometimes they came true. Is that not true?”

I nodded.

“In fact you gave him that notebook so that all his little prophecies would be in one place.”

I nodded again.

“Why don’t you read the last page recorded before his death. “

I looked at the page and I felt my stomach drop. “I don’t see how this is relevant. He was spouting off things about ghosts before he died. If you take this seriously you’re a fool. I slapped the notebook closed. Although something about the passage didn’t make much sense. It had been worded strange and I knew Isaac was usually very specific about his prophecies. I decided that this oddity was more reason to ignore it.

The prosecutor looked annoyed but opened it himself. “If you wish to be uncooperative then I shall read it. My body could be murdered by Roan today.” The prosecutor smiled. “What is the definition of murder? It is the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice or forethought. By using the word murdered, Isaac makes it perfectly clear that Roan meant to kill him. Wouldn’t you agree?”

“No…”

He cut me off. “No further questions,” he said and walked away.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:24 pm
LastPaladin says...

Hayden MacQuinn – Outer Space: 1430

Awake he felt sweat falling from brow; he forgot he was even in the hard leather seat, until his vision righted itself. Staring out he saw the majesty of it all. Forgetting their situation for a second he was overcome by the utter brilliance of it all.

It went on and on and was never-ending really, it was only when he heard a loud sniffle he remembered how they were dying.

“Ya’re awake to huh?”

"Yeah..."

Shifting uncomfortably, he replied, “So I had a really strange dream ya know?”

"You, too?” she inquired, a note of confusion in her voice.

Hayden had no idea what to say, to this, so he let her continue.

She breathed heavily, "You were there... In a bar..."

“Carry on...”

This was just weird, but then lets not jump to conclusions just yet he thought.

"You were with a bunch of freaks and some chick."

He laughed, perhaps, it was nerves or just the idea that they really did stick out like sore pins, but he laughed joyfully.

"I had to watch Mark die again. I see nothing funny about anything." She scolded.

“Sorry... but really, for some reason you calling me best mates freaks, made me just burst out laughing maybe it’s nerves, because... nah it couldn’t be possible.”

Lets, just keep story straight Hayden. No need to panic her more.

"Best mates? Wow, I see where you got it all from..."

“Meg, was gorgeous wasn’t she?”

"Yeah, she was. The envy of every girl in the world."

The sarcasm did burn, but he ignored it, this was unreal, “I think we need to talk.”

She questioned, "About what exactly?"

Taking it in stride he looked at controls until the words came to him, it all sounded so insane. But from what she said, it seemed to be so. But one more question plagued him and it solidify his opinion on this, “What events did your dream end on?”

"My brother shooting Mark. You were there. I yelled at you..." her voice was strained.

“Anything else, it’s important I know.”

She sighed. "Meg told you she had moved on... Not to fuck things up."

“She said more... didn’t she?”

"I-I can't remember...."

That was a lie, he knew, he’d seen her in his dream, they’d been in the same dream, he hadn’t imagined it, and she had listened and heard everything Meg had said to him, all the msysterious garbage and all.

“It’s not like I’ll tell anyone Rachell.”

"She said a lot. I dont' remember it all." She clipped.

“What do ya remember?”

"Her telling you that she waited too long..." She paused for a moment. "That I was a second chance."

He hyperventilated, trying to figure it out, trying to breath, they’d share dreams, nothing could be ignored because even though it was absurd, it was only explanation, “But... but... it’s impossible... and how... and what... and...”

"Hayden, breathe! It's not like we woke up as zombies or anything. It was just a dream."

“But... aren’t you at all a little confused... a little... I don’t know...”

"Of course I'm confused! But I'm more devastated. I just had to frickin' rewatch Mark die!" she yelled over intercom.

“I...I...I am sorry... sorry you have to die out here with me alone... and had to experience that...”

"Don't be sorry. It's not like it was in our control..." she replied apologetically.

He knew that, but still he argued, “You could have had anyone here, professionalism aside, my piloting skills aren’t reason enough to take me over others.”

Her voice softened to a mere whisper, "Well, you're here. That's the way it is and in all truth I'm actually glad."

“Huh... but why?”

"Any girl would be glad to be with a guy who claims he's willing to die to save her."

Blushing he smiled, awkwardly, “I wish... no nevermind...”

"I will not nevermind. What were you going to say?"

Swallowing nervously, Hayden said nothing for a while, realizing he’d open some doors, he should have kept shut, “I wish... I could have known you as more than my Commander, I wish you could have found out sooner... I wish, your ship hasn’t been hit and you could have got away.”

"You're an odd one. Usually men disdain female commanders." She let out a strained chuckle.

“I respect you... as I said...”

"Mhm. Listen, when and if we get back, we can sort that part out. Okay?"

“...Thanks... I... am so just beyond confused...”

This was getting worrying and sleeping wasn’t going to ignore it, was dream Meg right?
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:00 am
eldEr says...

I sniffed a few times, trying to gather my composure. Sleep had been a really stupid idea for one of two reasons. Reason one, anything could have happened while we were dozing. Reason two, that dream...Watching the only man I had ever loved die again...

“Ya’re awake to huh?” Hayden's voice cracked over the radio, startling me.

"Yeah..." I trailed off. I really didn't feel like talking right now.

“So I had a really strange dream ya know?”

"You, too?” Well that was...odd. Panic started coming over me. What if?... "You were there... In a bar..."

“Carry on...” He was starting to sound very interested now.

"You were with a bunch of freaks and some chick," I scoffed.

Hayden was laughing. Really? Laughing? I was in much too horrid a mood to laugh. I had just had to freakin' watch Mark die-again! "I had to watch Mark die again. I see nothing funny about anything." I crossed my arms, thinking out loud.

“Sorry... but really, for some reason you calling me best mates freaks, made me just burst out laughing maybe it’s nerves, because... nah it couldn’t be possible.”

Best mates? Oh how charming. Obviously things caught on rather quickly. I glared at absolutely nothing. "Best mates? Wow, I see where you got it all from..."

“Meg, was gorgeous wasn’t she?”

"Yeah, she was. The envy of every girl in the world." The first part was spoken truthfully, put I spat the last part with sarcasm.

“I think we need to talk.” Oh, well that was just perfect.

"About what exactly?" I really, really wasn't in the mood...but I would humour him.

“What events did your dream end on?”

I stared at the scratched button, tears threatening to spill over again. "My brother shooting Mark. You were there. I yelled at you..." I could hardly get it all out.

“Anything else, it’s important I know.”

I sighed dramatically. "Meg told you she had moved on... Not to fuck things up."

“She said more... didn’t she?”

"I-I can't remember...." It was a lie of course. I couldn't make myself forget...He wasn't really going to make me say what Meg said was he?

“It’s not like I’ll tell anyone Rachell.” Well, considering he'd be dead before he had the chance to tell anybody...

"She said a lot. I dont' remember it all."

“What do ya remember?”

I rolled my eyes and shifted in my seat. Fine, he wanted it? I'd tell him. "Her telling you that she waited too long..." She paused for a moment. "That I was a second chance." As if...

“But... but... it’s impossible... and how... and what... and...” he was hyperventalating.

"Hayden, breathe! It's not like we woke up as zombies or anything. It was just a dream," I assured him.

“But... aren’t you at all a little confused... a little... I don’t know...”

"Of course I'm confused! But I'm more devastated. I just had to frickin' rewatch Mark die!" I yelled, immediately sorry I did it.

“I...I...I am sorry... sorry you have to die out here with me alone... and had to experience that...”

"Don't be sorry. It's not like it was in our control..." I returned my gaze to the scratched button. It wasn't possible...was it?

“You could have had anyone here, professionalism aside, my piloting skills aren’t reason enough to take me over others.”

"Well, you're here. That's the way it is and in all truth I'm actually glad." I whispered. I hated to admit it, but I really was glad. I was in a crappy mood at the moment, but who could blame me?

“Huh... but why?”

"Any girl would be glad to be with a guy who claims he's willing to die to save her." I was going way too soft way to quick. I needed a nice coffee...something to make my moods stop swinging.

“I wish... no nevermind...”

"I will not nevermind. What were you going to say?"

It took him a moment to reply and I was about to prompt him, but he finally spoke. “I wish... I could have known you as more than my Commander, I wish you could have found out sooner... I wish, your ship hasn’t been hit and you could have got away.”

Oookay.... That wasn't awkward at all. "You're an odd one. Usually men disdain female commanders." I chuckled, trying to lighten the mood to no avail.

“I respect you... as I said...”

"Mhm. Listen, when and if we get back, we can sort that part out. Okay?" My brain was completely fried. I just had the same dream as an enemy turned...friend? I couldn't tell. Too soon, too tired, too... my stomach growled quietly. I was famished.

“...Thanks... I... am so just beyond confused...”

I chewed my bottom lip nervously. This was just insane...
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

168 Reviews

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:25 pm
LastPaladin says...

Hayden MacQuinn: Unknown Galaxy – 1740

“That’s it!” He yelled finally, there been no talking between them for ages and he’d began to think back and something had occurred to him finally.

Rachell yelped in pain, “OW... this better be good Hayden.”

Ignoring her he continued, “Something been bothering me after seeing what happened to your boyfriend, something didn’t settle right for me.”

"Bothering is a dramatic understatement," she grumbled.

“It’s more than that, it’d like I’d seen one of them.”

"What do you mean?"

Flexing his cortex muscles he tried to figure out how to explain this, “I’ve told you of before I went to the Academy right, but when I finally did, it was outside of Ireland in London.”

"Continue..."

“Well basically it was outside of London on edge of it. And one day I was reading local newspaper when I saw an article. It was about a jumper who had killed themselves after walking off a bridge, right in front of a busy car park. At first people thought he was a bum, as he was dressed like one. But then as days progressed the story came out and showed his picture from his driver licence.”

"Yes?" it was obvious she paying full attention.

“Well, at time never seen him. But Rachell he was in our shared dream.”

I-it was Dustin...wasn't it?" She was getting choked up.

“Yes... I know this is hard to see any good here. But Rachell he destroyed your life. I can’t lie and say he got what he deserved.”

"He was my brother! Do you have any idea how close we were? I thought he was in prison!"

He sighed, “Rachell he got what he deserved, you should never had to have experienced what you did. To be honest I should have been the one faced with a punishment like that.”

"You don't deserve it. Nobody does." She whispered.

“I do... I wasted my life... thinking I could just keep it up and when finally found love ran from it. It’s ironic I can’t run now.”

"Hayden, a few big screw-ups don't mean you deserve what happened to me. I still can't believe that Dustin's gone, too..."

“I deserve it more than ya, that’s for sure.”

"Maybe dying out here won’t be so bad after all. Not like I have anything to return to..."

Hayden slammed his console with his fist, “Why if I’m such a great pilot can’t I just save ya? All my training surely they have thought of this scenario?”

"Well I'm the flippin' squadron leader and I can't save you either! There. We're even."

He let out a frustrated sigh, “It’s not about me wanting to be the hero Rachell, it’s about wanting to give ya a chance. I don’t want to survive my life been a lie since I left Earth.”

"And mine hasn't? I've lost the two people in my life who meant most to me!"

“A beautiful and kind woman deserves a chance to make amends.”

"What if that beautiful and kind person doesn't want to make amends?" she challenged.

“Because life doesn’t end with loss... I’ve done horrible things broken hearts, my heart is headed for hell. Yours has a chance.”

"I wouldn't be so sure. Nothing's exactly come along to give me a second chance now has it?"

“Maybe that’s my mission.” He said, “To give you a reason to live by showing you mines.”

"But that just...It goes against everything I believe in." She argued.

He sighed, “I will save you even at cost of my own life... because Rachell... I...I...I... no uh nevermind.”

"I will certainly not nevermind Hayden. Out with it before we both die and rot in Hell."

He said nothing, she would laugh she would laugh in his face. So better not tell her, it be a mistake and besides it was so sudden he hoped it was just fear of dying alone, “I can’t...”

"Yes, actually you can. Funny how you can face another fighter in a duel to the death but you can't tell a girl what's really on your mind."

“But it’s wrong... and it’s no doubt just fear... so let’s not make this molehill into a mountain.”

"Whatever. Hide it. I'll pretend I don't have the slightest inkling of what you were going to say anyways."
You poor take courage
You rich take care
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:41 pm
Octave says...

Okidoki. I'mma post for Roan, because he obviously needs to make an appearance and Lume has granted me permission to post as him. I just hope I can do this justice. >>"

Also, before any of you take up arms against me: yes, Lume and I have agreed that this will happen.

Roan Chbosky - The Trial, 2:56 AM

If he listened carefully, he could hear the whirring of the ship's engine underneath them. All the prosecutor's words were muffled, as if they'd trapped Roan underwater in a tank. Everybody around him rushed about at an almost inhuman pace, or so it seemed.

The officials sat on their high chairs like the babies they were. All of them peered down at Roan with narrowed eyes.

And for some reason, Roan couldn't stop himself from laughing. It started as an innocent snicker only for the wind but grew into a grim chuckle that echoed throughout the still room. The officials frowned and raised their eyebrows, but what did Roan care? It didn't matter what they thought of him.

With a simple glimpse of their expressions, Roan could tell what they were thinking. What each and every one of the people onboard were thinking.

His own best friend. Would you believe it? He probably killed Captain Riggs too.

And after all Commander Vanderbilt did for that bastard. Never thought this day would come.

But not a smile slipped onto Roan's face. Not a twitch, not a tear, not a sign of weakness.

Because he was the fallen king, and the best he could do was appear regal as they crucified him for murdering his prophet.

"Chbosky. Mind telling us what's so funny?"

Did they see him smiling? Just because he laughed didn't mean there was anything funny going on. In fact, he wasn't sure if he was laughing or sobbing a minute ago. It was a fleeting chuckle anyway - it couldn't have lasted long enough for anyone to find out either.

He lifted his chin and faced his prosecutors.

Another official spoke up, clearing her throat as she did so. "Roan Chbosky, you have been charged for the first-degree murder of Isaac Vanderbilt. How do you plead?"

Roan said nothing. He didn't need to. His lawyer was the only one doing all the talking, because if Roan had a choice he would have plead guilty.

"Not guilty."

The last word echoed through Roan's head. Guilty as charged. He shut his eyes and saw Isaac's body lying on the floor, and he swore he saw his prophet still smiling benevolently at him. As if telling him to be careful.

Everything in the room drowned again, fading away to give way to that one voice he still heard calling his name.

"Roan!"

"...You are deemed dangerous to all on this ship and will be sent into space alone and without any provisions whatsoever. Your punishment will be effective immediately."

Footsteps pattered on the floor as cold hands grabbed Roan's arms. The fallen captain's stare remained fixed on the officers' faces and only one didn't flinch. She simply stared back, remorse tinting her eyes.

And Roan let himself be dragged away without a fight. This battle was lost the minute Isaac died. Faintly, in the air, Roan still heard what had to be an echo of Isaac's final scream.

"Roan! NO!"

Isaac Vanderbilt - The Trial, 3:30 PM

He already knew he was too late when he burst into the doors. The speakers screamed out the trial as it happened, and when they announced Roan's verdict Isaac shouted out loud, hoping someone could hear him and cursing his own injuries.

He couldn't run fast enough - everything hurt. Every. Single. Muscle. Every twitch, every step, every breath sent him into a spiral of pain and frozen desperation. And at one point, crumpled on the floor, sobbing in a fit of anger and confusion, he wished he never left the medical ward in the first place.

What good did leaving it do him anyway? Some prophet he was. This was a crapstorm the size of Earth, and he failed to predict it.

He did predict another one coming his way though. So he steadied himself, gulped down a few deep breaths and did his best to ignore the sharp pain eating away at his stomach where the intruder had attacked him the night before.

He shut his eyes, pressing his hands and his face against the icy steel doors. The cold bit into his skin.

This was it. If his calculations were right, then everyone would still be in the trial room, watching as Logan was declared the new captain of the ship.

With a final, painful effort he heaved himself against the icy door and collapsed onto the porcelain floor of the makeshift courtroom. And as if that wasn't enough, the doors swung back and hit him on the ribs. Isaac wheezed and groaned. He didn't expect it to hurt that much.

But in a way, it was good that the doors hit him. Because every single person stopped paying attention to Logan to glance at the newcomer.

A stunned silence devoured the room. The engine underneath them rumbled sweetly, as if trying to calm all their nerves. Not that it was working. Isaac spluttered one more time and crawled forward using his arms. Moving his legs hurt his wound too much.

Logan, standing in front of the officials, was the first to speak. "...Judging by the look on everyone's faces, I'm guessing I'm not crazy for seeing Isaac here?"

"Great. Just great. You know, first we see Riggs's ghost haunting the ship. Now Isaac's crawling around too," complained a voice in the crowd.

Isaac grit his teeth. "I'm not dead. So bring Roan back here and overturn that verdict of his. You can't murder someone if they don't end up dead."

A small cough came from the officer sitting on the highest chair. "We uh. We already sent him out."

That was when hell broke loose. The crowd started yelling, accusations of a conspiracy were thrown about, sides were taken, arguments broke out - and no matter how the officials yelled for order, no one could placate the confused ship.

Not a one.

Well, Isaac thought of one person who could do it, but apparently some idiots already sent him out into deep space for killing a person who was still alive.
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

384 Reviews

Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:21 pm
eldEr says...

Rachell Burgess Unknown Galaxy – 1740

I ignored my growling stomach and raspy throat. I ignored the silence. I tried to ignore everything. I was hungry, thirsty, anxious and confused. Oh, that and I thought I must be going mad. I was grinning for crying out loud. Yep, definately going mad.

“That’s it!”

I jumped, startled by the sudden outburst. My head made contact with the top of my fighter and I yelped. “OW... this better be good Hayden.” I rubbed my head, mad woman's grin wiped off my face.

“Something been bothering me after seeing what happened to your boyfriend, something didn’t settle right for me.”

"Bothering is a dramatic understatement." Bothering...no, it has been eating me alive and rotting me from the inside out since it happened.

“It’s more than that, it’d like I’d seen one of them.”

"What do you mean?" Oh great. Now Hayden was losing his mind too.

“I’ve told you of before I went to the Academy right, but when I finally did, it was outside of Ireland in London.”

"Continue..." No chiz. I stuck my bottom lip out and blew my bangs out of my face.

“Well basically it was outside of London on edge of it. And one day I was reading local newspaper when I saw an article. It was about a jumper who had killed themselves after walking off a bridge, right in front of a busy car park. At first people thought he was a bum, as he was dressed like one. But then as days progressed the story came out and showed his picture from his driver licence.”

"Yes?" Okay, so he had my attention now.

“Well, at time never seen him. But Rachell he was in our shared dream.”

My eyes had teared up before he had even finished. "I-it was Dustin...wasn't it?" But that was impossible...he was in prison...

“Yes... I know this is hard to see any good here. But Rachell he destroyed your life. I can’t lie and say he got what he deserved.”

I glared ahead. "He was my brother! Do you have any idea how close we were? I thought he was in prison!"

How had I not heard this? It was impossible! I had heard nothing about a funeral, or his release...when had it even happened? Right before the trial probably. That's when I had left. But how could nobody have told me?

“Rachell he got what he deserved, you should never had to have experienced what you did. To be honest I should have been the one faced with a punishment like that.”

"You don't deserve it. Nobody does," I whispered. I wasn't lieing either. It was one of the most horrible things you could ever have to go through.

“I do... I wasted my life... thinking I could just keep it up and when finally found love ran from it. It’s ironic I can’t run now.”

"Hayden, a few big screw-ups don't mean you deserve what happened to me. I still can't believe that Dustin's gone, too..." And what was more was that my family didn't even tell me that he was gone.

“I deserve it more than ya, that’s for sure.”

"Maybe dying out here won’t be so bad after all. Not like I have anything to return to..." Actually, dieing would be peaceful. Dieing in honour that I...we had saved the ship I served on. Of course they would never actually know about our heroic acts.

“Why if I’m such a great pilot can’t I just save ya? All my training surely they have thought of this scenario?”

"Well I'm the flippin' squadron leader and I can't save you either! There. We're even." Why did guys always have this need to be the hero? Neither of us could save each other. We were dead and we knew it.

“It’s not about me wanting to be the hero Rachell, it’s about wanting to give ya a chance. I don’t want to survive my life been a lie since I left Earth.”

"And mine hasn't? I've lost the two people in my life who meant most to me!"

“A beautiful and kind woman deserves a chance to make amends.”

"What if that beautiful and kind person doesn't want to make amends?" I wasn't going to let him win this one. Wait...what did he just call me? I shook my head. Let's just ignore that one shall we Rachell? I told myself.

“Because life doesn’t end with loss... I’ve done horrible things broken hearts, my heart is headed for hell. Yours has a chance.”

"I wouldn't be so sure. Nothing's exactly come along to give me a second chance now has it?"

“Maybe that’s my mission. To give you a reason to live by showing you mines.”

"But that just...It goes against everything I believe in." I twisted a bit of hair around my index finger nervously.

“I will save you even at cost of my own life... because Rachell... I...I...I... no uh nevermind.”

"I will certainly not nevermind Hayden. Out with it before we both die and rot in Hell." Thhen again I probably didn't want to know...did I?

“I can’t...”

"Yes, actually you can. Funny how you can face another fighter in a duel to the death but you can't tell a girl what's really on your mind." Ridiculous. Just retarded. But holy crap was he going to say what I think he was going to say?

“But it’s wrong... and it’s no doubt just fear... so let’s not make this molehill into a mountain.” Yep. He was going to say it.

"Whatever. Hide it. I'll pretend I don't have the slightest inkling of what you were going to say anyways." I crossed my arms. He had been planning on saying one of a few things here. I despise you, go rot in hell. Was one of them, however very unlikely. When we get back I'm going to buy you a nice, big burger. The one I probably wanted most. Of course we weren't getting back... I love you like a sister and I, too, will kill all of your boyfriends. If he said that I would more than likely kill him first, so we'll all just pray. Then there was the last one. The one that was actually half-realistic. I think I love you. Now that made me nervous.

"I wish we had more time."

I sighed loudly. "For what? If we don't blow up soon, I'm going to starve to death."

"Just, to know..."

I rolled my eyes. "If you aren't going to tell me, hush up about it."

"It's sad such a pretty and wonderful soul has to go and never know."

"This pretty and wonderful soul doesn't want compliments. She wants food." Did we have food on the fighters? Oh how nice that would be....

"If we make it... I'll be honest to ya no matter what."

I smiled. How can somebody so despicable be so sweet? "I like that idea Hayden."

"Ya know... if I did die now, I'm glad it was with the best damn commander ever!"

I laughed. "Flattered."

"I mean it from bottom of my... no nevermind..."

A grin spread across my face. "From you heart? Well that's sweet."

"Close your eyes Rachell and think we're not dying in space that we're on the amazing Irish countryside full of lush and truly green foilige, where people are nice and greet us with smiles. Think of a calm sea washing over the land. And think of a picnic for two."

Was he serious about that? I smiled softly and closed my eyes. "You're an odd one Hayden. In a good way I suppose..."

"Ireland is so pretty, you'd love it Rachell. My ship named after The Pirate Queen, she fought the English and protected us. Ireland a place of magic and dreams."

"Magic huh? So if I was to go there, could I formulate a slice of pizza out of thin air?" My stomach growled.

"It's msystical and truly radiant. But alas Rachell, you wouldn't, but ya feel the magic around ya and ya'd be fed by good wonderful food."

"Mmm.... I like it already." Hayden sure did get all dreamy when he talked about Ireland like this.

"I'd show ya it."

I opened my eyes. "I'm sure you would. Assuming we don't blow up before you get the chance."

"Should I be telling you this all? It hurts more surely that it shall never happen?"

"Pfft. Keep talking. The more I think about this the less I think about my past and the fact that we're doomed to oblivion."

"The beaches and landscapes will make ya cry. With such majesticnesss, an mysticalness it's apparent, you feel like you're walking through a world of fairies often."

"Fairies? You're starting to sound like a little girl McQuin." I chuckled and shook my head.

"Rachell, Ireland is a land of mystery of magic, you need only look at it's wonders like the Giant Causeway."

"Of course. Well, if we survive this you're taking me there. And paying for my travel costs too. And you're buying me something at a nice expensive resteraunt."
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

168 Reviews

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:26 pm
LastPaladin says...

Lance: Guard – 1740

It was nerve wracking how quiet the ship had gotten last thing he’d heard was be on look out for anyone trying to shanghai off the ship. The engines were dead and they were stuck, and yet he was still in his usual position guarding an empty cell.

The noise of the engine used to keep him company but without that now he had nothing. If he wasn’t loyal to his job he’d sneak off for drink. But he was assigned this position by Riggs after the Captain had found he failed the training regimen and given him this chance.

People hated Rigg’s few really knew him.

Then he heard it, footsteps. He un-holstered his blaster training it on the direction, slowly a form appeared and came out the darkness.

“Captain Riggs, but how?!”

“Lance you’ve been relieved you can go have fun and get drunk.”

He turned to leave then remembered something, “I better call it in first Sir, so someone can take over my position.”

Something was niggling but it was like he couldn’t access part of his memories.

A jolt struck him as he looked down to see a long blade in his gut. And for a second he was sure Riggs face changed.

Just as his eyes shut, last thing he heard was, “They think it’s hot now, wait until this bomb goes off, goodbye power controls.”

Riggs was dead, now he remembered, he desperately reached for his intercom and pressed the button, “Who ever gets this message I’m putting it on loop. There someone on the ship killing people. There a bomb near the cooler. And I Lance known mostly as Lancey Boy am mortally wounded.” He placed the repeat
Last edited by LastPaladin on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You poor take courage
You rich take care
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:46 pm
AngerManagement says...

Lizzie

I didn't really understand what was going on. I just felt a bit out of the loop, well i kept my self out of the loop. As you know ignorance is bliss and I chose to live in bliss. Well I got the sketchy details all of which I couldn't bring myself to understand..Roan tried to kill Isaac? I didn't get It.

I rolled over on my bed only to meet the questioning stare of the nurse. "Are you okay?" She asked looking at me pitifully.

I glared at her. How dare she...

"I was only going to have one drink...Just one." I said defensively. "Only one." She nodded but I could see she didn't believe me, I mean 'all alcoholics said that didn't they'.

I looked down at myself and noticed the big scar on my shin. If only I had stayed away from the spirits. I pushed myself off the bed and walked out of the ward pulling my hip flask out of my prison...I mean hospital gown. Just this one drink. Just this one.
Dont tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Anton Chekov

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:24 am
Lumi says...

Convict Roan Chbosky | Ejection Bay

The guards were silent as they shredded my clothes from my body. Their knives ripped through the captain's coat and uniform and sliced through tender flesh upon down-swings. It didn't make sense to me why they were tearing the clothes apart, but perhaps it was an order of the senate. Justifiably humiliated and dishonored just before death. That's how they would condemn a criminal.

But was it justifiable that I would die here...?

The guards slit my clothes apart until there was nothing but cold, hoary white skin under their eyes. One guard took his gloves off and clutched his fingers through my hair while his partner retrieved a blackjack from his side.

As I turned my eyes up to the guard's face, he swung the club around and bashed my skull to the side; but my head stayed still under the impact as the first guard, whom I had named Grip, clutched my hair tighter. As he began to lose his hold under the brutal beating, he moved a hand down to my neck, putting a vice-grip on my throat as the other guard began to swing for lower, more destroyable regions of my body. Really, it all took me back to my first memory--the part of me they couldn't destroy, the pieces of Roan Chbosky that were immortal, even if I wasn't.

But each blow tainted my memory until there was nothing but radio static between the grunts of the swinging blackjack and the recoil of Mr. Grip. And as I faded down into the blackness of a lulled sleep, I started to smile a wicked, bloody smile.

Because I understood that after it was all said and done, after I had died, I would see Captain Riggs and Isaac and all the dead people in hell and we'd sail on our own ship through the miry River Stixx until our skeletons decayed into hell-charred dust...

They tossed my pathetic, bleeding, bruised-and-tarnished naked body into the hull of an ejection pod before slamming the air-tight door.

Did Isaac have his vengeance yet?

It certainly seemed as though he should. After all, a quick gunshot to the head was nothing compared to anything the Senate could whip up. And what the Senate had whipped up was a bitch of a death.

So I just laid my head back and closed my eyes, laughing at the images I conceived in my head-- the ones that the guards must have seen of a naked man cackling in what was his death bed, so chaotically dignified in his blood.

But no, I was a murderer, and a vicious one at that. So with eyes closed, I listened as the jets kicked in, as the bolsters holding the pod to the Demeter unfastened, and as the pod jettisoned from its bay, never to be seen again.

And bzzt, he thought, the guards were bzzt filing those damned reports already, telling every bzzt damned civilian that a damned man had died.

And I cackled so deeply in my throat that I spat up blood from my throat. Because I imagined all those innocent people celebrating at my death, cheering on about how the low-down, good-for-nothing Captain of theirs had died so dishonorably.

I was going to be a damned hero for dying.

But as I started calling out to the nothingness, I began recording my Captain's log, just like a good Hyden soldier should. So, "Log," I said, "Day one. Location Unknown: Mission Failed..."

End Part One
Last edited by Lumi on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

202 Reviews

Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:00 am
Octave says...

Part 2

Isaac Vanderbilt - Captain's Office, 4:00 PM

Isaac skimmed the papers retrieved from Roan's room. No, no blood spatter on these either. He tossed them into the air and moved on to the next pile. Nope, no blood spatter either. Who was Isaac kidding? Of course there was no blood spatter. Roan hadn't killed anyone.

But those morons swore it, swore they saw Isaac's body dead and cold on the floor, bleeding, eyes soullessly staring at a frightened Roan huddled in the corner.

None of this made any sense. Isaac chuckled and buried his head in his hands, ran his hands through his hair. What was he doing? Sitting around while the rest of the crew panicked, searching for Isaac's corpse and trying to keep madmen who believed Isaac was some zombie away from the newly-appointed temporary captain.

Clunk, clunk, clunk.

Isaac could hear them downstairs, trying to assemble a rescue mission as fast as possible. Trying their damnedest to avoid getting sent to space themselves. Because a screw up this big wasn't something that was easily fixed. It wasn't something even Isaac foresaw.

Right now everything was a mess, and Isaac knew he had to step up, or else the crew would fly apart at its hinges. Or else they would all die here, in space, without anyone to remember them back home. Or else Roan would die alone, shivering in a pod somewhere else.

But he couldn't. Was a it blasted sin to be unable to prepare for such a monumental shitstorm? Actually, it was. It was a sin, because everyone was counting on Isaac to keep things predictable. Expected. Smooth. But no, Isaac had to fuck up. He tilted his head back, watched the cold metal of the room's ceiling.

Did they find dead-Isaac in this position? Trying desperately to keep it all together despite knowing he would never survive this? Isaac took off his glasses and wiped the fog away from them. The room's temperature had descended into freezing levels all of a sudden, but that was expected, with the broken heater and all. He sighed, shook his head and put the glasses back on.

He wanted so badly to go and drag his best friend back here, haul Roan's sorry, naked butt back here to do all the leading for him. But for the meantime he had to keep it together while the rest of the ship lost their heads. It would be much easier if everything started making sense.

Isaac then noted the final entry Roan wrote in his log, probably right before he was taken away, because the last sentence was unfinished.

Isaac came into my room, with the most vicious smile on his face. That was what I thought. What I thought. He must have come only to warn me about the things to come. He shouldn't have. He shouldn't have left the medical ward. Never ever ever. Something was wrong with me. I thought something came into the bathroom, but that was all it was. Thought. Because Isaac couldn't have had

The panic evident in the entry crept into Isaac's mind, nagging him. Something was wrong. Isaac wasn't going to rest until he found out where his double's corpse went, and, more importantly, what the hell really happened. It wasn't like Roan to misinterpret things. Wasn't like his friend to attack in blind rage.

The bathroom would be a good place to start the investigation. So Isaac took the sheaf of papers with him and headed towards Roan's room.

"Isaac! I mean, Captain Vanderbilt!" called Logan from behind him.

Isaac winced. He wasn't captain, no, not yet. Roan wasn't dead. Isaac didn't truly have time for Logan's little reports either.

"The rescue pod is ready," Logan said.

Isaac paused. The board had specifically told Isaac he wasn't to go on the rescue mission. Isaac was sorely tempted to sneak into the pod, and he knew he could. He couldn't be stopped, because everyone was under him now. Everyone but the senators, and they wouldn't be informed of the hubbub until after the pod left.

"I just thought you should know," Logan added. "Maybe you'd want to give them last minute instructions?"

Isaac shook it off and walked away from Logan without another glance. No, he didn't want to see them off, because then he couldn't tell if he could resist climbing into the pod with them. And he couldn't leave the ship, because as much as Roan needed him, Isaac couldn't leave the ship. He could list a dozen things that could go wrong with the rescue mission, but he knew a hundred things that would go wrong if he left the ship. God, what he would give to be able to write all these in his worry notebook, to let his notebook panic for him.

But he didn't even have the luxury of time to do that. No time for anything anymore. He had to come up with an explanation for the corpse almost everybody found before things worsened.

The echoes of Isaac's footsteps were all Logan received.

"I suppose I'll go see them off, then?" Logan called, not following Isaac.

Frankly, Isaac didn't give a damn at the moment. As long as they brought Roan back alive, then everything would be fine.

Roan's room was a mess, but not messy as in there was a struggle. It was as if people had rifled through everything in attempts of finding evidence that might point to Roan. Fear drove these people to convince themselves Roan had been the one to murder Isaac. Isaac almost crumpled in anger. How could they be so rash? Isaac knelt down and touched the black liquid on Roan's floor again.

It had to have something to do with this, but he couldn't tell how. It certainly wasn't oil. It was blood, black blood. An alien...?

No, no way. Even Isaac had to admit the chances of that were extremely slim, almost non-existent. How would an alien get onboard anyway? Isaac glanced at the bathroom door, which had been torn through. Like Roan's diary said it was.

Isaac approached the door and touched. Something had to have done something to this, but what? It seemed as if something huge had cut through it. No wonder Roan panicked and shot the intruder.

"Captain? Captain, you're here!"

Isaac jumped and cut himself on the jagged edge of the tear on the door. He swore. He could get tetanus or some other virus from that wound. Isaac glared at the newcomer, who turned out to be Annabelle, from the bar.

"How can you be here? People said they saw you downstairs, trying to stop the rescue mission. Shaun's downstairs fighting with you - I mean, other you - right now! I came to get help from Logan."

Isaac stared at her blankly for a few seconds. Wasn't his lookalike dead? Then he tensed. He wasn't going to let this double kill Roan a second time, no. Time to be brave, Isaac.

"Take me to him," Isaac said.
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:04 am
PhoenixBishop says...

Logan- Hallway- 4:00pm

The last twenty-four hours of my life had been extremely tiring. With Isaac back I hoped things would come back to normal but with Roan gone normality would have to wait even longer. I found Isaac headed towards Roan’s room.

"Isaac! I mean, Captain Vanderbilt!" I called

Ignored

"The rescue pod is ready,"

Ignored

"I just thought you should know," I pressed. "Maybe you'd want to give them last minute instructions?"

Ignored

"I suppose I'll go see them off, then?" I said.

Ignored.

I sighed. I would have to go see these people off. The last time I saw people off they never came back. I still worried about them but there wasn’t much I could do about the situation.

I took a detour to see if Kat was okay. I hadn’t seen her since the explosion and I still worried about her. She seemed fine. When I find her she was with some other Pilots and she smiled and waved. I waved back smiled and headed to see the rescue team off.

On my way I passed by Elle’s office. I knocked on the door to see if she was okay. I was worried about her too after she was embarrassed in court.

She opened the door but didn’t smile. “Logan what are you doing here?”
“I came to see if you were okay?”

She sighed. “What is it with all you high up people and all you’re worrying. Roan worries about the ship and Isaac and Isaac worries about Roan and everything else in the universe and you like play boy scout and worry about every damsel in distress.”

Her words weren’t all that cold but her tone added an Icy edge to them. She seemed to realize this and closed her eyes. “I’m sorry I’m just a little on edge.”

“So I see,” I said.

“Really don’t mind me. I must stay composed in the ships dire state. People come to me to get counselled. If I’m off my rocker I won’t be able to do my job to the best of my ability.”

“So you have a full schedule?”

“Let me put it to you this way. My next client is convinced Isaac is a zombie.”

“And he passed the psych test to get up here?”

“I guess the universe air has addled his brain. Speak of the devil,” she said.

I looked over my shoulder and a fat balding man came towards us. He didn’t look at me.

“Did you know the only way to kill a Zombie is to behead them?” He asked.

“We talked about this Norman there are no such things as Zombies,” she ushered the man into the door. She gave me one last glance. “Drop by my office if you need to talk.”

I nodded and she closed the door. The last thing I heard her say was. “Put down the crucifix.”

I looked at my watch. I had delayed myself too long. I quickly walked to my destination and looked the window to find that Isaac had apparently come after all. So I didn’t need to be there. I sighed with relief. I would usually go in any way as support but I was far too tired and decided to take a short nap. I realized that I hadn’t slept but eight hours in the last 48 hours. That wasn’t good at all. That’s when I heard Isaac ran past me followed by Annabelle one of the bar waitresses.

I stood there transfixed for a moment trying to figure out how Isaac could have run past me when I had just seen him in the room about to send the rescue team out. I couldn’t put it together but I ran after the other Isaac and the Annabelle. We entered the room.

“You can’t send them out he deserves to die he tried to kill me,” screamed the first Isaac. He turned around when he heard the door open and his face paled when he saw the second Isaac standing there.

To say I was confused would be an understatement. Maybe Norman wasn’t too far off on his guess because something unnatural was definitely happening.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

384 Reviews

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:35 pm
eldEr says...

Rachell Burgess-uncharted galaxy-1800 Day 2

I drummed my fingers on my leg, staring once again at the scratched button. If I thought that was bad, I couldn't wait to see the exterior of my fighter. That would cost a bit more money to fix. Of course, we wouldn't make it back to fix it. I had long given up hope of being rescued. Maybe I was just being melodramatic. We hadn't been out here for that long. Had we? I stopped drumming, trying to remember how long it had been since either of us had said anything. The last conversation had been short-lived. Well, while I was doing nothing else, why not reflect?

"It's a date then." Hayden had said.

I laughed. "So it is...odd." Oh good lord, what was I getting myself into? We were supposed to be sworn enemies... or so I thought. Funny what space did to you. Space and talk of magical faery-lands called Ireland. I grinned and shook my head.

"It is... I guess... Ever feel like you're in a movie?"

Odd question. "Way too much,” I muttered. It was true though. Sometimes I wondered if I was actually some puppet on a set, if my life was controlled by some script. It was actually sort of interesting to think about. Okay, so maybe I had just been losing it after all, but hey. I have rights to my own thoughts.

"I could quote this scene for scene from some romantic flick."

"Oh good Lord Hayden, no."

"It's not a lie. But,. doesn't mean I ain't afraid."

I started fiddling around with my fingers nervously. What ever happened to talking about Ireland and fancy restaurants? "Of course not." Who wouldn't be afraid? I was having trouble burying my own fear, but I suppose there wasn't really any way of avoiding death anymore.

"How did this madness happen Rachell, I was actually due to leave ship before Riggs went mad and flew to fuck knows where!"

"This madness happened because Riggs was an idiot. That's how."

"And us ending up with these feelings, how that?"

I sighed. He was right, this was just messed up. But then again, what part of this blasted trip [i]wasn't
messed up? "That my friend, is the result of secrets shared mixed with near-death occurences and finding out you have more in common than you thought."

"You're really quite cute you know that Rachell."

A blush surfaced. Had he seriously just said that? I was suddenly extremely glad he couldn't see me. "Right....I'll remember to add that to my file,” I said casually as possible.

"So, since we ain't hiding anything. There was rumour for a while, you and Riggs were quite close. Yet way you speak of him here, makes it seem unlikely."

I coughed. "What? You're kidding me right? Riggs was a friend. Stupid, but a friend. How bad were the rumours?" Oh crap... that didn't sound good. If I did by some bizarre miracle, make it out of here alive, I was going to strangle whoever started those rumours. Strangle, stab, beat to death...

"Well there were some people claiming you may have... " He coughed nervously "May have been more than frriends."

I pursed my lips. The feather and tar treatment was sounding good right about now. "He's a little too old for me don't you think?." I paused for a second, thinking back. "We weren't as far as I'm concerned."

"He liked you, you know?"

I rested my forehead in my hand, slightly frustrated. How bad was the rep I had and was so unaware of? "Did he really now? Well I suppose that worked to my advantage with the whole Squadron leader thing..." Did I even want to know how he knew about all of this?

"You're not asking how I know?" Mind reader...

Nix that. I did want to know after all. Blast my curiosity, this was probably going to kill me to hear. "Well, at first I thought I didn't want to know. Changed my mind. How do you know?

"Well, I respected Riggs, he may have bit maverick sometimes, but he wanted best for crew I promise ya that."

I sighed for no real reason. "That much I knew."

"Everyone hated Rigg's but never realized why he did all he did."

I smiled to myself. It was so true. Was it just me, or was I good at befriending people that were normally hated? "It's hard to hate him when you actually got to know him. He was a bit off a spazz, but he had a good heart. Most of the time anyways." I was going to go into mourning pretty soon. I hadn't really realized how much I missed him until now.

"I think you, Roan and me knew him best... and even now wonder if this could have been prevented."

Yeah, it could have been. Guess we're as stupid as Riggs huh? was what I was just itching to say, but it somehow didn't seem appropriate. "So do I. It probably could have," I murmered instead, biting down on my finger nail, something I hadn't done since I was twelve.

"Think we will survive?"

I winced when he said that for two reasons. Number one, I bit down to far, and blood was oozing from my finger tip. So now if I didn't die of thirst or starvatioin, I would die of infection. Nicely done Rachell, nicely done. Number two, that question. Chances are we were going to die, and I knew it too, but I was still holding onto this small bit of hope. "Depends on what's happening on the ship. If things are hectic, they've probably forgotten about us by now."

"A cliche kiss goodbye wouldn't go a miss."

"It most certainly wouldn't, but two fighters would," I muttered dryly.[/i]

The conversation had ended there...on a not so happy note. Well, at this point in time I was practically begging somebody to say something, to get my mind off the fact that I was going to die. In a fighter, in space. Not in the hospital as an old grandmother who had had her chance at grand-children. I wouldn't get a fancy funeral with a group of friends there to mourn my death. Nope, dieing in space didn't include any of that luxury. There I went... Gosh, I needed conversation.

"Hayden?" I asked quietly, biting off another nail. I really needed to stop doing that...
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:41 pm
Rydia says...

Shaun Paladin; Fighting the Not Isaac; 4:00pm

It wasn't like Isaac. It wasn't like Isaac at all, I'd never had to restrain him, never found reason to argue with him... until now. Even as I raised my fists to block his advances again, I found myself darkly amused. What a mess this was!

"You can’t send them out, he deserves to die, he tried to kill me!" I was bracing myself for the pummel of fists again but as I heard the click of the door, my combatant turned away from me and I took my chance. Springing forward, I brought my bulky arms about him and held him in a vice grip, hugging him from behind, fighting to keep his arms by his side. Then I looked up, ready to explain the situation, hoping that Annabelle had found Logan - who else was there left to rely upon? - but instead came face to face with-

"Isaac?" I couldn't believe it. If that was Isaac then who was I holding, who was... punching me in the face. I cried out, stumbling back and then chased after him as he made a run for the pod that was about to leave. Fortunately, they'd decided that this ship was too crazy for them and for better or worse had already ejected. Defeated, the first Isaac turned back on me with a rage. "Well I don't need telling which the real one is," I said defiantly, taking a strong step forward. There was no way that Isaac wouldn't want Roan rescued, especially after expressing just such a desire earlier. Right? The second Isaac and Logan came to stand either side of me and I felt my confidence swell. That was the imposter, no doubt.

"Who are you?" Isaac demanded. he sounded more angry than I recalled ever hearing him. Where was the defeatable, worrisome friend of yesterday?
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

202 Reviews

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:06 am
Octave says...

OOC: For all the people who don't understand what's going on - The impostor is a shapeshifting alien that infiltrated the ship.

Isaac Vanderbilt - Ejection Bay, 4:10 PM

Silence. Sharp, icy, cold, sweet, absolute. Silence. The breaths in the room, heavy and tense, couldn't breach it. The question wrapped itself around everyone, everything, and they found themselves speechless. Even the lookalike did nothing.

Not even a single hiss.

Isaac took a step forward, anticipation drumming his heart at an insane rate. This was it. The final moment.

Then it happened, happened so quick. A flash of inspiration, a realization of what could go wrong. His step was a mistake, as now the impostor could -

Too late. Quick as it was, it was nowhere quick enough to allow the temporary captain time to fix what went wrong. Isaac yelped as a claw, cold and metallic, swiped at his face, grazing his cheek. The silence shattered, and along with it the tense serenity of the room. An uproar, chaos. Shaun's eyes bugged out as he yanked back on the impostor, trying to drag him away from Isaac, only for the creature to dissolve into a liquid pool that left Shaun reeling in shock.

The gooey liquid dropped to the ground and slid towards Isaac, who scrambled backwards.

Rule number one, how could Isaac have forgotten rule number one?! Never discount anything, even aliens onboard.

Logan intervened then, fumbling with his gun and inadvertently shooting a wee bit too close to Isaac for the blond's taste, but it effectively warded the blob away. The pool seeped into a vent before leaving the crew with nothing but astonished silence again.

Isaac realized that the silence breathed, and it took him a bit longer to realize it was his own heavy breathing that filled the ejection dock.

"What the hell was that?" Shaun finally spat as he reached out a hand to help Isaac up.

And for that brief moment in time, Isaac's heart stopped. Because he knew what the creature was, and he absolutely couldn't handle the fact that, for the first time in a day or two, he was right again. Isaac's eyes skimmed over the crowd, checking for any face that appeared more than once. None. Zilch. Nada.

But chances, they couldn't be taken right now. Isaac needed a plan, and quick. He latched onto Shaun and used the other man's arm to pull himself up, wobbled, then glanced at the crowd again to ensure that there were no double faces.

"Listen up. From now on, I want each and every one of you to stick to each other in little groups. Never disband, never go anywhere alone. And I want reports on who is with who. If any doubles pop up, tie them both and shove them in a closet until we can figure out who is who."

Isaac took a deep breath, knowing full well he was asking his crew to betray their friends if worse came to worst. "Trust me on this."

He cleared his throat, still holding onto Shaun for support. Logan moved towards Isaac to help the blond, but Isaac held up a hand and gave Logan a nod, thanking him for the help. Made a mental note to personally thank Logan later.

"That said," Isaac continued, "I think most of you know what kind of alien that was."

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

I wouldn't think "impossible" was even in your vocabulary.
— Sharpay Evans, High School Musical