z

Young Writers Society

The UnChosen Ones: Through Sheer Luck

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:15 pm
Octave says...

The bumbling wizard has just found the chosen one! Hurrah! ...Or at least, he thinks it's the chosen one.

The chosen one is insistent on it - he is NOT the chosen one. But all chosen ones do that, so it's perfectly normal, right? Erm no. This time it's true. The wizard has declared the wrong person the savior of the kingdom.

Now the king is pressuring said schmuck to defeat the big baddie who's trying to take over the kingdom. But this is NOT right - the poor guy really doesn't have any special skills, abilities or whatnot to defeat the villain. Not like he has a choice, though.

So our supposed chosen one ambles off to try and beat the bad guy, with the help from a cast of characters. He will get through each and every obstacle the big baddie will throw at him, whether it's through outside help or dumb luck. Preferably the latter.

So that's the basic plot. I won't put a cap on how many people can join because the more the merrier, right? ;)

You can be anyone you want - the big bad's younger brother/second-in-command, the sweet damsel-in-distress, the bumbling wizard, a centaur, a cricket, a cow - whatever! Anything goes.

RULES:

1.) No having god-like powers. Honestly. This annoys me more than anything. Make sure you are beatable, and make sure your characters have flaws.

2.) Every post must be at least 200 words. Use proper grammar and spell-check your work. Don't post one giant paragraph with no breaks.

3.) Keep discussions to the DT. Do not post something like, "Bring me in please!" in this thread. I will make a DT for this as soon as I can and post a link here.

4.) Please read the events that have transpired before posting something. We don't want contradictions. ;)

5.) Swearing is allowed but don't overdo it. :)

6.) Don't kill off other characters without permission, unless they're NPCs.

7.) Posts must be well-written and thought out properly. Let's avoid needless random scenes.

8.) Similar to Griff's SB, bad posts can and will be ignored. Make sure your post is coherent and has no contradictions. Thank you.

9.) HAVE FUN!!

Anyway, GO! Post your profiles. :D

The only claimed spots are the big baddie - me, and the real chosen one. Done.

EDIT: I'll put the code for the profile here too.

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b] No insanely long unpronounceable names please. Or you can do that, but please have a nickname. It's not easy to type Ishiytragrylliessan'dro you know. ;)
[b]Age:[/b] Self-explanatory.
[b]Gender:[/b] Male/Female
[b]Species:[/b] Anything goes. Honestly, you could be a vampire-unicorn hybrid and I wouldn't mind. :D
[b]Appearance:[/b] Please state if she's tall/short, skinny/plump, etc.
[b]Picture (if possible):[/b] Make the picture a spoiler and, as much as possible, let's not use anime characters, okay? ;)
[b]Personality - Strengths:[/b] What about their personality makes them awesome. Like maybe they're brilliant. Maybe they're amazing at conversation or dealing with others.
[b]Personality - Flaws: The less than shiny parts of their personality. They could be stubborn to the point of being absurd, paranoid, lazy, etc.
[b]Combat/Survival Skills:[/b] Maybe they're good at camping, or fighting with a sword and stuff.
[b]Weaknesses:[/b] What are they weak against? Think now. Don't give me a gabazillion powers and one really rare weakness like, she is afraid of spiders and will run away when she sees them because one: that's a personality flaw and two, who brings in a spider during combat? 0o
[b]History:[/b] Keep it brief and to the point. :D If your character's history is shrouded in the unknown then let it stay that way.

EDIT 2:

Just because this SB is light-hearted does not mean you can god-mod/be a Mary Sue. Note that in the profile I wrote weaknesses. Plural. That means I want to see plenty if possible, guys.

For an example of a not-serious yet good profile check Bolt's were-armadillo Shane Dane. Obviously not serious, but not a bad profile in itself. And he *is* beatable in battle.

Profiles must be good, 'kay? I will use it to see if your writing skills are up to par.

So what I'm really trying to say: I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO ASK PEOPLE TO EDIT THEIR PROFILES. And the right to reject the profile if the person doesn't edit it.

Also, as a sort-of-connected thing, a new rule has been added.
Last edited by Octave on Sat May 08, 2010 1:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:47 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Kara, you seem to be missing a character profile thing.

The profile for the real chosen one is coming.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:28 pm
Vanadis says...

This sounds fun. Can I be the bumbling wizard? I have to go take care of something right now, but if I can save that spot, I'll stick the profile up as soon as I get back home.

Thanks!
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:32 pm
gsppcrocks10 says...

Yeah, we need a template. But for now I'll just use basics. :) Are we allowed to play two characters?

Name: Hecate
Race: Half-demon, half-elf.
Appearance: Pale skin, and straight shining black hair that goes down to her mid-back. Her eyes are golden and her ears have a point to them, but she covers them with her hair most of the time. Her clothes are black. She's actually pretty beautiful.
Personality: Relatively quiet and reserved most of the time, but if she thinks strongly about something or thinks that what someone else is doing is stupid and/or won't work, she'll speak up and won't hesitate to call the person an idiot right to their face. She's very quiet about her past and will speak nothing of her parents. She's relatively friendly and is happy to help most of the time, but she has a relatively short temper and if she blows you'd better watch out. She feels incredibly lonely at this time and will probably show bitter qualities around families, couples, ect. She's rather sensitive about the fact that she's part demon, and if you do call her a demon or anything along those lines you'll have her blade at your throat in an instant.
Weapons: A falchion that she keeps at her belt. ( http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/image ... on-Tip.jpg Like that, but the metal's silver.)
History: Hecate's mother was an elf, and her father was a shadow demon. When her mother discovered that she was pregnant, and that her fiance was a demon, she left long enough to raise Hecate until she was old enough to fend for herself. Then she went to kill her fiance. She never came back.
Weaknesses: If she gets too engrossed in fighting her demonic instincts take over and she goes into a killing frenzy, killing anything she sees. I'm not sure if this fits as a weakness, but it definitely makes her self-confidence go down. Hecate's much better with single combat, so if you're against a group she'll most likely accidentally start concentrating on one enemy and one only, leaving her exposed. If she uses any of her Demonic abilities she gets very tired, very fast.
Abilities: Very skilled with her falchion. She can use some Demonic magic, though it tires her. (Bolts of shadow energy, shields, ect. She can also change into her True Form for a short time, which is a black dragon. She can create stones that will teleport people to her when broken. All of these things take a lot of energy and she uses them as little as possible). She has excellent hearing, being half-elf, and has a special connection to most animals. Especially with her horse, Wither.
Other: Has a weak, but distinct demonic aura about her. Up for love.
Last edited by gsppcrocks10 on Tue May 04, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just another quack spouting psychobabble.

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:50 pm
Bloo says...

I'mma reserve a spot for when the profile comes out.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:57 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Oooh! I'll save a spot for a sweet damsel in distress. It'll be fun to write from that point of veiw. :D
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:09 pm
Sins says...

May I please save a spot for a character...? :smt001 I was thinking a cook that doesn't eat? Could be interesting.
Oh, and Is this based in the middle ages? I'm assuming it is, but you never know nowadays :wink:
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:35 pm
Elinor says...

I call a spot for a tough girl who has to work to prove she's just as good as the guys. :D

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:52 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Can I be the right-hand man/woman to the evil dude?
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:55 pm
Octave says...

Oh crap. You're right. -.-" The profile template is here you guys.

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b] No insanely long unpronounceable names please. Or you can do that, but please have a nickname. It's not easy to type Ishiytragrylliessan'dro you know. ;)
[b]Age:[/b] Self-explanatory.
[b]Gender:[/b] Male/Female
[b]Species:[/b] Anything goes. Honestly, you could be a vampire-unicorn hybrid and I wouldn't mind. :D
[b]Appearance:[/b] Please state if she's tall/short, skinny/plump, etc.
[b]Picture (if possible):[/b] Make the picture a spoiler and, as much as possible, let's not use anime characters, okay? ;)
[b]Personality - Strengths:[/b] What about their personality makes them awesome. Like maybe they're brilliant. Maybe they're amazing at conversation or dealing with others.
[b]Personality - Flaws: The less than shiny parts of their personality. They could be stubborn to the point of being absurd, paranoid, lazy, etc.
[b]Combat/Survival Skills:[/b] Maybe they're good at camping, or fighting with a sword and stuff.
[b]Weaknesses:[/b] What are they weak against? Think now. Don't give me a gabazillion powers and one really rare weakness like, she is afraid of spiders and will run away when she sees them because one: that's a personality flaw and two, who brings in a spider during combat? 0o Note: Weakness must be exploitable in combat.
[b]History:[/b] Keep it brief and to the point. :D If your character's history is shrouded in the unknown then let it stay that way.

Also, I'll think about the two characters thing and tell you when I make a decision. :D

And no, this is not set in the middle-ages. Thank you for asking that question, Skins.

This is set in a world where cars -cough, jeeps, cough- and basic technology exists. Like radios, etc. Think 1930s or 40s technology in a place with lots of rural patches and a whiff of a bustling city - without the skyscrapers and giant buildings of course.

If this world is a little difficult to imagine tell me and I'll explain it further.
Last edited by Octave on Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:21 am
Elinor says...

Name: Miranda Black

Species: Human

Appearance: She's tan, with chocolate-y brown hair and hazel eyes. She's tall; 5'7, and has a slim, athletic figure.

Picture:
Spoiler! :

Personality - Strengths: Miranda is a kind-hearted, well meaning young woman with good intentions. She is selfless and a good sport, not caring when she wins or looses unless it is major. She is brave, and won't think twice about risking her life for her friends.

Personality - Flaws: Miranda is very short-tempered and impatient. She gets angry easily, and when she is she's very rude and presumptuous, causing a lot of people not to like her.

Combat/Survival Skills: She is a very strong warrior, and uses a bow and arrow as she prefers a stealth-y approach, although she will occasionally use a sword. She's very strong, and knows survival skills backward and front. She's tough.

Weaknesses: Miranda has never had enough food, and is slightly malnourished. Although she is a hunter, she never has much luck when she's in the wilderness. Therefore, whenever she is granted the opportunity to eat, she does so quickly and without thought. Several people have been altered to this and her enemies are constantly trying to poison her.

History: Miranda Black is not her real name. What it is, only she knows. This is because she ran away from her abusive and violent parents when she was fifteen years old and wants to protect her privacy so that her parents never find her again. She was born in a rural town, and was very poor. She had big dreams, but little hope and an extremely low self-esteem. When she was with her parents, she always felt like she was being bogged down, so she finally ran away and began to study fighting and survival techniques.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:41 am
fictionfanatic says...

Edited version...

Name: Esmerelda. Goes by Esme (Ez-may)

Species: Esme is part elf, part mermaid, part demon, and part vampire.

Appearance: Esme is very tall. Taller than most people. She's thin but a normal thin. She's just about the perfect size. She has wavy hair that looks like it was spun from gold that goes down the the bottom of her back. Her skin is ghostly pale and her eyes are a silver color. She also has very sharp teeth. When she goes in water her legs transform into a silver tail.

Personality - Strengths: Esme is really good at persuasion. She can get even the most hard headed people to believe her. She also has an enchanting voice that lures people to her. Needs blood sometimes.

Personality - Flaws: Esme always thinks what she says is right. She's probably the most stubborn person you'll ever meet. Needs blood sometimes.

Combat/Survival Skills: Esme is good at fending for herself. And she's also very good at using a bow and arrow, even from long distances. She's also good at biting.

Weaknesses: She has slower reflexes on her left side because when she was little she was kicked in the head by a horse. She also is a little under fed because a main part of her diet is blodd and she resists drinking it for as long as possible.

History: Esme's parents abandoned her when they realized what kind of species they had made. She was a baby then. An old woman found her and took her in. But she died a little while later when Esme was four. Esme then raised herself in the wild.
Last edited by fictionfanatic on Sun May 02, 2010 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live, Love, Laugh

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:08 am
Bloo says...

Name: Shane Dane
Species:He's a human, but he was attacked by a were-armadillo and so is one as well.

Appearance: Picture below, if I need to describe to, I shall edit.

Picture (if possible):
Spoiler! :

Personality - Strengths: He is a strong at turning things in his favor, able to use his words to manipulate you/ flip what you say. He is also very tactical, examining all aspects of his surrounding and situation before going in.

Personality - Flaws: His skill with words makes him oblivious to his own wrong doings, and will not apologize. People hate how he manipulates him, but are often obvious to it, and this frustrates people. He also thinks of other people as his body guards/ protectors and will often hide behind them in battle to think. Is an over all jack ass.

[b]Combat/Survival Skills:
As said above he is a tactical thinker and can figure out how any area can be used to max potential if given enough time and the easiest and most efficient way to do it.

Weaknesses: He isn't very strong or fast in general, and must rely on his surroundings to win a fight. Though he needs ample time to analyze it to use it in his favor, which he can not do in combat. He does not trust his instincts, only his thought.

History: He ran away from his home when he was eight, and found refuge a few towns away (able to hitch hike his way there somehow, this was when he became the were armadillo.) and was kept by a librarian. He rarely ate or left the library, and only read the books around him often going day without being seen. He thinks of everyone else as inferior for not knowing random fact like he does, which have no real use.

Other: When he transforms into his armadillo self, his only ability is to hid in his ball and think of a plan. It is not a very violent animal.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:10 am
Vanadis says...

Name: Bertram the Bumbling. (Really, he's the bumbling wizard for a reason.)

Age: Old. Really old. He's not even quite sure how old he is. And that's what he'll tell you.

Species: Wizard. Basically a magical human who cannot die from age, but can be killed.

Appearance: Tall and somewhat plump. His figure would be daunting if his personality didn't cancel it out. He has a grizzled brown beard with many white streaks and matching hair that he doesn't seem to like to comb. Normally wears a tattered black cloak over whatever mismatched outfit he puts together that morning. He has a very wrinkled face with kind green eyes that reflect the fact that the wheel is spinning, but the hamster's dead.

Picture (if possible): (may come later.)

Personality - Strengths: Has a very commanding presence and is very respected around the kingdom. He is actually extremely wise...or was in his younger years.

Personality - Flaws: His mind is not going. It's long gone.

Combat/Survival Skills: Can conjure fire, which is good for camping. Also can go comfortably for about two or three days without eating much.

Weaknesses: He's bumbling -- really slow. Sure he can use magic, but he's not really the best for dodging things. So for this, he might be an easy target.

History: He makes up a different history to tell each person that asks about it. Nobody knows which parts are real, fake, or maybe derived from truth. Basically what IS known is that he's been an adviser to the kingdom for the past few hundred years. He's known to prophesize, and also to drink. A lot.
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:19 am
sunstarfrozenlife says...

Name: Zanea [I use her for all of my SBs so please don't steal!]
Species: Human, but has a trace of elf.
Appearance: Tall and skinny, her eyes a bright green color and her hair in a pixie cut of black. Very pale skin.
Picture (if possible): Not Possible As of Yet.
Personality - Strengths: Understands people easily. Is very kind and humorous.
Personality - Flaws: Very, very stubborn and mistrustful until she gets to know them.
Combat/Survival Skills: Can use a bow and arrow very well and is good with a dagger.
Weaknesses: She's really, really terrible at anything creative. She's a bit of a clutz and very clumsy when not fighting.
History: Her whole family is dead. She only has a few friends.
Last edited by sunstarfrozenlife on Sat May 08, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
When your life is based around the face of Sawyer from Lost you know you're officially obsessed.
--
Join Isha's SB, the Shadows!
And mine, Lament of Innocence!
And LDR's, Dark Fey!
And- ok, I'm going to shut up now.
:D

Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.
— C. Northcote Parkinson