z

Young Writers Society

The Fae

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:53 am
ToritheMonster says...

Many of these ideas are from the book Tithe by Holly Black. All credit for them goes to her.
Link to DT: http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/post692473.html#p692473

Step out of reality into a world divided. The Fae are the creatures of the faerie world: pixies, nymphs, centaurs,and the like, as well as some creatures that don't have names.
In this world, there are two courts: the Seelie and the Unseelie. The Seelie believe in peaceful coexistence between humans and Fae,the Unseelie believe that the Fae should rule over both kinds.

That is where you come in. You are either a member of the Seelie or Unseelie court, or a human caught up in the struggle.

Humans live unaware of the fact that faeries exist, and this is modern times. Even if they were told they were real, they wouldn't believe it.

Everyone, that is, except for one unlucky human.

The Unseelie are currently overpowered by the Seelie, so for now, most humans are safe. Most. As a symbol that they are not completely powerless, the Unseelie sacrifice a human each year, called the Tithe.

Please post your profile in the DT.

How the Courts work:

What the Seelie Lands look like:

What the Unseelie lands look like (on the other side of the Obsidian Sea):

The River is named after the current Unseelie Queen. It's name will be filled in after that slot is filled and selected. The Abyss of Darkness is simply an abyss that drops straight to the center of the earth. Melanie falls is a waterfall that drops into the abyss from the river, named so because of one of the past Queens, Melanie, who went for an unfortunate boat ride down that tributary and never came back. The Lake of Blood is actually a hot springs that glows red at night. Prisoners are brought there for execution, hence the Last Path. The Vagabond's lagoon is hidden in the mountains, called that because of the thieves that live near it.

The Unseelie court is virtually unaccessible unless you have a dragon or other flying creature to take you over the abyss.

Where does the human world connect, you might ask? A powerful spell keeps humans from ever stumbling into the lands, but if a Queen gives an order, a faerie can bring one human across at a time. Fae can come and go as they please, and once in the human world, a spell makes them look like normal human beings to the naked eye, or completely invisible.

The Tithe takes place on August first. Who will be selected this time?

Plot: You are a faerie, either Seelie, Unseelie, or a vagabond, thief, etc. caught up in the struggle between the courts. As the time of the Tithe draws near, fights begin breaking out between courts deaths are being reported. When the Tithe occurs, it acts as the final straw. War breaks out, and when it enters the human world, nothing will be the same again. Also note that iron is like poison to the Fae, touching it will burn their skin, touching it for a long time will kill them.

Rules: No God-Modding. I might make an exception for the Queens, as they are supposed to be all-powerful.
No perfect characters, not even Queens. They are inhumanly beautiful, but that masks either a thirst for blood or an uncontrollable fear of the dark, etc.
Post often, and try to make each post at least 100 words.
Don't kill off characters without other's permission. I will have two characters, and one of them will be the Tithe. She/he is the only one who will be killed initially.
Mild swearing is allowed, but remember to stick to your character. Humans might curse, but noble faeries talk in old English.
Mild romance is allowed, but no sexuality unless it is just being briefly mentioned.
Violence is allowed, and while it may be gory, don't make every sentence about gore.
If you break a rule, you'll hear from me.
If you don't post for over a week you will be killed off (exception: people who PM me that they're going away on vacation or will not have computer access for a while. In that case, get someone else to post for you.)

Slots:

Spoiler! :
Seelie Queen
Unseelie Queen
Queen's first guard (one for each, must be male)
Generals (one for each, Unseelie must be male)
First Officers, Lords and Ladies of the Court (I will allow one lord and one lady for each court, and one first officer for each) Seelie Lady taken by Kidashka
Common folk, Soldiers, Servants in Palace (one of each for each court)
Vagabonds, Thieves, Peasants (one for both courts combined)
The Tithe taken by me

I will allow some humans, if people are interested in them, post a profile and I will PM you instructions if you get in.

You may be any Fae creature that walks and talks, so long as they are not an animal faerie like a dragon or a salamander.If you wish to make up your own, please give a description.

Templates are in the DT.

Choose your side, for the battle starts now.
Last edited by ToritheMonster on Fri May 28, 2010 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:00 am
talkingbird says...

just saying, ur icon is amazing. ahhha did someone say dracoooo malfoyy?? lol vpm
"I am still so naive;
I know pretty much what I like and dislike;
But please, don't ask me who I am. A passionate, fragmentary girl, maybe?

-Sylvia Plath

351 Reviews

Fri May 28, 2010 10:28 am
ToritheMonster says...

Okay, the plot, cuz we'll be starting soon:

It will start with all fearies in the Seelie court going about their everyday business. There may be whispers about the Tithe and how it's getting close to time. Perhaps a few rebels are whispering about trying to stop it.

The Unseelie court will be in preparation. Everything must be spotless, there must be food for a feast, all nobles must have new gowns and suits. The Tithe, to them, is a very big event. The first guard will be getting ready to go into the human world to bring back the Tithe that they've been scouting.The Queen, as she makes the sacrifice, will basically just be lounging around.

We'll start that way, and after about two or three pages, it will be time for the Tithe.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri May 28, 2010 8:00 pm
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

YAY!! *Really wants to get this started* PM me when we do.
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

351 Reviews

Sat May 29, 2010 3:03 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Soon, soon.

351 Reviews

Sat May 29, 2010 4:07 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Oros-

I stood at attention by the Queen's throne, bored. I wanted nothing more than to go to the training ring, and skewer a few straw dummies. But Her Highness wished for me to stay, and so I did. Sooner or later, she smiled at me. "You must be very bored. I apologize. You are dimissed."

I bowed deeply and walked off. The Queen was demanding, but gracious. I could not ask for a better master. As I walked towards the ring, a group of pixies stared at me and giggled. I smiled back charmingly, and continued. Perhaps there would be someone at the ring for me to fight.

Random avatar

Reviews: 43
Sat May 29, 2010 4:29 pm
NepoGirl says...

Mackenzie

I sighed as I piled dirty towels into my arms. Being a maid, well, stinks.

The people in the Unseelie castle were all demanding.

"Get me more wine!"

"Clean my clothes!"

"There is a rat on my bed!"

They all sickened me.

I struggled across the castle bridge to go outside and do some laundry in the river. It was nice to get out of that dreadful castle.

I spied peasents out on the street begging, young children frolocking about, and parents watching them. Were they actually supporting the Unseelie? The fools.

Soon I was at the river. I placed the dirty towels near the edge of the river and hopped in. It was more of a stream then a river, only a few inches deep. I took one of the dirty towels and placed it in the water, scrubbing the filth out of it.

Laundry was boring work and I couldn't even use my powers.

Mackenzie

Is this okay? And is Oros Seelie or Unseelie? I couldn't find his profile.
This Months Disney Film: Beauty And The Beast

~Is It Wrong That I Find The Beast More Attractive As An Actual Beast Then His Human Prince Form?

12 Reviews

Sat May 29, 2010 7:14 pm

Selene
I walked through the forest and up to a specific tree. "Nanare." I called quietly.A tall and willowy woman that lookd about 23 with slender features and brown eyes stepped out of the tree. She smiled at me. "Hey Luna." "Hey." I replied smiling back.

351 Reviews

Sat May 29, 2010 9:23 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Oros is Seelie. His profile should be on the most recent DT page. Yes, all posts are fine so far- although I'd prefer that posts be at least 5 lines, ladyofthedeathroses. Don't change yours, but try to keep them a bit longer in the future.

12 Reviews

Sat May 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Sorry I was in a bit of a rush when I made it.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat May 29, 2010 11:06 pm
kidashka says...

~Nanare~

I gave Luna a weary smile as I stepped from the tree, giving the towering plant a glance as I left it. Winter was almost over and my strength returning, but I was still tired and drawn from the bitter cold of the previous months.

Luna gazed at me sympathetically. "Still recovering?" she asked, and I nodded before looking up again.

"I need pruning..." I mused, tugging at a small straggly branch with some annoyance. Spring always meant that some branches needed cutting; though just a little trim, of course. Luna gave me a confused look. "Isn't that like cutting off your fingers?" she queried, and I laughed softly, shaking my head with some amusement. "No, it's more like ... a haircut," I explained as clarity dawned on her face. "My branches just get so messy when spring starts."
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Sun May 30, 2010 12:50 am
Jagged says...

Kester
The sight of a large black dog prowling the hallways, almost melding into the shadows save for the two golden, glowing eyes, was a common sight in the Unseelie castle. There were times when the unthinking alertness and the unflagging endurance of his native form was soothing, and it allowed him use of senses that were often underestimated. He could smell the excitement that floated around the castle, the latent anticipation as the time for the Tithe approached. A sharp sound from the sides made his ears twitch, and he slunk over in that direction to investigate...

Only to grumble as it turned out to be just another scuffle between upstart young nobles
duking it out in one of the remote duel areas. They were arguing about which of them deserved the favors of some young lady the more - not an uncommon scenario, even if most had the good sense to settle their differents elsewhere. Still, those were being a bit too loud for Kester's taste, so he stalked into the open, the light catching on the long strands of fur at his neck and his bared fangs.

Down, boys, he broadcast, allowing his disgruntlement to bleed through his mental voice. They froze at that, features taking on a sheepish and slightly fearful cast, and it was easy after that to tell them to not kill each other and stop being so noisy. Had to give it to this form: one tended to be a lot more obedient when faced with a gigantic snarling dog than a disgruntled man.

Satisfied, he trotted back to the shadows. Speaking of ladies... He had his own to find. It wouldn't do to leave his Queen alone and unprotected too long, especially not when things were getting so tense.
Last edited by Jagged on Sun May 30, 2010 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sun May 30, 2010 3:09 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

Queen Brystianne

She paced up and down, unable to keep still. There was so much to do today. There were her people who never ceased with the complaints. She loved her people more than anything -possible even her own life, but they frustrated her. Couldn't they see that she couldn't make every single person happy?

And then there were the peasants. The caused more revolts then anyone. She'd had to send reinforcement to her soldiers out in one village not two days ago.

"Would you like something to drink, my queen?" her first guard asked.

Bree smiled at him. He was more than just her guard. She had invited him into her bedroom many times before. It was a lonely job as the ruler and queen of the Seelie lands. She needed someone to keep her company and for now...he would do.

"No, I'm fine for now," she said softly.

He looked at her through half closed lashes and nodded. He placed one hand on her waist and leaned in, her mouth hovering over hers.

Alarm flooded through the queen and she pulled away from him. Her guard looked rather alarmed and stood up, back perfectly straight and tall. Still, he was only two inches taller than Bree.

"It's not the time for romance now," Brystianne told him, pulling a lock of red hair behind her ear.

He translated. It meant that Bree didn't want anything personal between them known to the public. He should have known that to begin with. She had had many lovers.

"Leave me," she sighed, turning towards the window. "I am thinking about what to do for the latest peasant revolt."

It wasn't really a lie. She was thinking of one peasant. Matthew. She thought about him a little too much sometimes. But she couldn't help it. She still loved him even though he had been dead many years now.

A hot tear ran down her cheek and Bree brushed it away angrily, feeling like a hypocrite. She hated to cry and had a low tolerance for children because of their whining. No, she wouldn't be weak. She had to be strong for her people.

And she had to be strong enough to fight off the Unseelie queen, herself.

**Kind of random, but I wanted to post. xD I just wrote a little about Bree. :)**
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

351 Reviews

Sun May 30, 2010 1:56 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Alrighty, then, I'll just ignore my last one...

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sun May 30, 2010 3:16 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Wait...your character is the first guard for Bree?
*face/palm*
Dreamy I'm so sorry! I'll change mine in a little bit. Ugh...sorry again!
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

I tell the neophyte: Write a million words–the absolute best you can write, then throw it all away and bravely turn your back on what you have written. At that point, you’re ready to begin.
— David Eddings