z

Young Writers Society

The Awesome Project

183 Reviews

Reviews: 183
Mon May 03, 2010 12:46 am
LoveableLittleSock says...

"My,” Gwendolen paused, and Noah narrowed his eyes. She was remembering her story, her cover, her excuse. The need for such an elaboration made the situation infinitely more interesting. “My husband just recently passed away. I-I couldn’t bear to stay around there anymore.” A forced, weak cry arose from her throat, and Noah fingered the pocket of his cloak, hiding the smile that betrayed his amusement. “So I came here, to forget.”

The little sheen of her black locks dulled when pressed with the pink glow of the sky. If there had been any husband at all, which was severely doubtful, he was most likely searching for her, and the large sum of money she had stolen from him. This young lady's fear of commitment was as vast as the sea that washed up on the shore but several hundred yards away. He would know; he had foreseen a future with her, as she had, but... that was in the past. Noah clenched his fists, his knuckles becoming a ghastly white. “A woman like you,” he whispered, not bothering to smirk playfully, “married?”

The wind whipped her long, sleek hair into her face, contrasting with her bloodless visage. Her ashen lips twitched upward, into a feeble smile. “I know, but love can do strange things. It was very nice to see you, Noah. Please, I must go now.” She spun around and scurried from the stable, clouds of dust trailing behind the feet that so desperately wished to escape him.

Noah's front teeth dug hard into his lip, preventing him from calling out her name, the temptation to ask questions, to ask why, almost too great to resist. He watched her scurry inside the inn, and he backtracked into the dark, leafy bushes to prevent being seen. The sky was a cloudless hue of lavender, and shadows began to overtake the small, quiet village. He picked his gloves out of his pocket and slipped them back onto his clammy hands, chilled from the innocent wind that blew back and forth, that breathed harshly onto his exposed neck. He bundled himself underneath his cloak further, and silently ambled back to his home, which conveniently overlooked the bank. Did that small truth allow him to feel like a creep? Perhaps. But he knew her, and he knew that she would be watching him as well. Gwendolen was quite the curious creature, and judging by the near-ecstatic smile that played across her lips as she recognised him, she would be keeping an eye out for him. And definitely sleeping with an eye open.

There was obviously no dead husband, but yet, he still had no knowledge as to why she spontaneously turned up in Haven. Defnitely to screw somebody over, he fathomed that much. But if he heard correctly, she was trying to "make herself known" around town, which wasn't the most artful move a criminal could make, and it wasn't usual for one of her expertise and skill to make such a mistake. He narrowed his eyes and glared at the ground as he walked, eyeing the grass as it was crushed under his boot. She certainly was a clever girl, and he himself was certain that she had something shoved up her delicate, worn sleeve.

Noah approached his cottage, admiring the polished, stone boulders so articulately piled upon one another, and the border of daisies that popped up along the sides. All of the windows were closed, the wooden shutters banging against the sill as the wind whipped against them. He rounded the corner of his home, his outreached hand pausing before he twisted the knob. The small, thin rock that he stuck inside the crack between the door and the wall seemed to have been kicked several feet. Noah hesitated. It wasn't safe for him to step inside; if the intruder remained in there waiting, it would be fearfully difficult for him to defend himself, as he may be a murderer, but he heavily relied on stealth, and not on combat.

The most facile option was the inn, and hastily Noah walked back across town and into the darkness of an alleyway to don the appropriate attire. He carefully slipped a wispy, gray wig over his dark hair, and flipped his cloak inside-out to reveal it's worn, gray lining. Replacing his bulky, scuffed black boots with nimble, sheepskin coverings, Noah whipped out his makeup kit and mirror, applying several powders and shadows and liners to make it appear as if he was thirty to forty years older. Throwing on a thick pair of spectacles, he cleared his throat and packed everything away in his sack neatly, emerging from the shadows coolly, as if he had strolled through from the other side.

As the proximity between him and the inn closed, Noah began to hobble ever so slightly, and wore a peaceful smile for every individual who chanced by. His hand pressed against the large, wooden door of the building and, upon seeing that his gloves still remained on, slipped them off and shoved them into his pockets in one swift motion. He scanned the inn for Lorraine, but only her brother remained, grinning at him amiably. Noah shuffled over to the young man slowly, and asked him for a bed. "Of course, sir," Dirk replied without hesitation, retrieving a key from the front desk. Noah handed him five gold coins, and with another quiet smile, shambled up the only flight of stairs. The anonymity allowed to him within the walls of this inn was near ridiculous, and he would enjoy his victory over the boy (who would have not let Noah in if he recognized him, as him and Lorraine have heard rumors of his thievery) if he was not preoccupied with the thoughts of the intrusion.

He locked the room once he entered, slipping off his shoes and depositing his bag under his bed. Noah shivered once his feet were exposed, and sat in a chair placed in the corner of the room. The tingling sensation in the tips of his fingers had an inkling as to who had intruded, or was intruding, inside of his home. His contractor strictly stated to eliminate the target by Saturday, and it was the dawn of Tuesday. Seeing how the boat docked but today, his employers were probably curious to see as to why Noah hadn't completed the assignment early, like usual. He would travel back to his house the following day, and explain that there was nothing to fear: Elijah Edwards would be dead within the allotted four days.
Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon May 03, 2010 5:46 am
Snoink says...

Name: Rita Hayworth

Species: Human

Starting Location: Forest. She doesn't appear with Saare Hathrim though.

Appearance: Dweeby-looking. About 5'0", nerdy glasses, safety goggles, a t-shirt with a man making out with a unicorn, some jeans, and a white lab coat.

Skills: MACGRUBER. <-- Very handy with stuff. And tends to explode things. Just so you know. XD

Flaws: She's allergic to doughnuts... oh wait. She only knows English and a smattering of Spanish. She can be way too overconfident. She likes to destroy things to fault.

Equipment: A baggy of saltpeter, some cash and credit cards, a comb, two peppermints, a little book that contains Chuck Norris jokes, a lighter, and a Leatherman.

History: She's from our world. She only knows of Saare Hathrim, but not very well. She's spent most of her time in the engineering realm, so since Saare isn't in that, she doesn't know her personally. She thinks Saare Hathrim is weird though.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed May 05, 2010 1:28 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Snoink you're good to go.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Wed May 05, 2010 7:36 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Hey guys. I'm going to not be around for about the next weekish. School is really busy for me right now. Please keep Gwen in the mix and I'll be back and posting as soon as I can!
Got YWS?

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Thu May 06, 2010 8:08 pm
Razcoon says...

I'm not posting again until Firearris does...and I have no idea when that will be...what, should I be a runaway fox? Find a new companion?
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

183 Reviews

Thu May 06, 2010 8:12 pm

I know, I can't post because mine was the last one to be an actual part of the story -- Maybe you should be a runaway fox Huni, and if Firearris posts again you can ditch the other girlie and make your way back to her apologetically. Grif did say that if somebody didn't post for a week, they were by default NPC's. Although, it's been almost a week since other's have posted.. why isn't anybody writing in here? xD
Got YWS?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Thu May 06, 2010 8:54 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

For a bunch of college students, this has been a week of midterms or a week of finals. I wouldn't wait for Firearris any longer, she may not have any time. Snoink posted a profile and is still waiting for two people to approve it. So, there is still things to do.

183 Reviews

Thu May 06, 2010 9:01 pm

I approve Snoink's profile ;3
Got YWS?

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Thu May 06, 2010 9:18 pm
Lumi says...

No time to post, but I approve.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Thu May 06, 2010 11:39 pm
Razcoon says...

I approve Snoink's profile! LovableLittleSocks, you may call me Raz, you may call me Razzi. but please do not call me Huni! xD It's just in my name, but I prefer Raz.
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

183 Reviews

Fri May 07, 2010 12:17 am

xD Will do. And for you my dear, don't pluralize LoveablelittleSock :3 Just call me Sock, as odd as that may seem.
Got YWS?

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Fri May 07, 2010 11:14 pm
kidashka says...

Will someone please post? I already have but there hasn't been anything for me to respond to afterwards... :smt095
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

183 Reviews

Sun May 09, 2010 5:03 pm

*bump*
Got YWS?

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Wed May 12, 2010 10:50 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Back guys, and surprised to see I haven't missed anything. Hopefully this will get things moving again. Oh, and Sock I had an idea for our characters. I'll PM you about it later.

Gwendolen

Lorraine practically ran out the door, smiling up to the nearly-cloudless sky. Gwen smiled politely – as politely as she could force herself to – and followed her out of the inn. It wasn’t that Gwen couldn’t be happy and enjoy things like the sunlight, or that she didn’t want to be. There was just something about Lorraine’s happiness that rubbed Gwen the wrong way.

There must be more to this girl Gwen thought. I’ll have to keep an eye on her.

As the two women approached the house, they were passed by a carriage traveling rather quickly in the direction opposite of the estate. Gwen must have looked more confused than she thought, or Lorraine was just in desperate need to explain her town to the newcomer.

“That’s Mrs. Goose’s carriage,” she said. “She’s a gossip, and constantly trying to marry her daughters off. She’s been trying to convince Mr. Grey to marry one of her daughters, that’s probably why she was up at the estate. I don’t know why she would be leaving so quickly though…”

Gwen nodded, and smiled a bit. “I’m sure everything is fine,” she said, storing the information she was just given in the back of her mind in case she may need it again.

Upon reaching the front door of the estate, Lorraine knocked politely on the door while Gwen surveyed their surroundings.

There appeared to be extensive orchards off on one side of the large home, as well as gardens and other landscaping items typical of the grounds of an estate such as Mr. Grey’s. The house truly was immense. Gwen marveled at the structure, and even the apparent security of the door and the windows she was able to see from her position. An amateur criminal would have a terrible time attempting a break in.

Though, for someone like myself… Gwen stopped herself before she was able to continue upon her trail of thought. She was not in Haven to commit a crime. Commiting a crime was precisely what had landed her here in the first place.

The door opened as Gwen’s eyes swept over the orchards again. As she looked on, she could have sworn something dark disappeared behind one of the trees.

“Miss Lorraine,” a woman’s voice said from the doorway. “And another visitor?”

Gwen looked to the door, smiling as pleasantly as she could. “Miss Gwendolen Hawthorne,” she introduced.

“Miss Gwendolen is new in Haven,” Lorraine explained. “Is Mr. Grey at home?”

“Yes,” the woman said. “Right this way.”

The woman, presumably a servant of some sort, led them through a room and into a finely furnished sitting room. It was the nicest room Gwendolen had been invited into in a very long time. The furniture was perfectly polished wood, adorned in rich upholstery. She made notice – mostly by instinct – of the recently sharpened sword mounted above the fireplace.

“Hello, Lorraine,” a man greeted. He stood with another, somehow familiar young man and a young woman. The men were both handsomely dressed, making it difficult for Gwen to pick out Mr. Grey. The woman though, seemed as a commoner and very out of place in the house.
“Good afternoon, Marlon,” Lorraine said. “May I introduce you to Miss Gwendolen? She is new in Haven, and set about making a respectable name for herself here.”

Marlon – whom Gwendolen now assumed to be Mr. Grey – raised an eyebrow. “A respectable name? Is there something awful you have done, Miss Gwendolen,that would give you a less respectable reputation?” He laughed, giving off the appearance that he was joking. Though, Gwen was intelligent enough to tell it was no joke.

“No, of course not,” she said, laughing along. “I have only heard of Haven, and the tendency of its residents to bring out the worse information about a person. I’d like to be sure I have my good side showing before any bad side may be discovered.”
Got YWS?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Fri May 14, 2010 3:55 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Things were busy at Marlon's house. Asele had taken care of Eli and had returned. The rug that held his vomit had been whisked away by Mrs. Ashbury and she had returned just in time to answer the door. Lorraine and a stranger walked into the door.

“Hello, Lorraine,” Marlon greeted her.

“Good afternoon, Marlon,” Lorraine said. “May I introduce you to Miss Gwendolen? She is new in Haven, and set about making a respectable name for herself here.”

Marlon raised an eyebrow. Usually people got a respectable name by being respectable, rarely would they ask for a stranger to give them a respectable name.

“A respectable name? Is there something awful you have done, Miss Gwendolen, that would give you a less respectable reputation?” Marlon laughed to cover the accusation.

“No, of course not,” she said, laughing along. “I have only heard of Haven, and the tendency of its residents to bring out the worse information about a person. I’d like to be sure I have my good side showing before any bad side may be discovered.” Marlon put on a smile, but in truth he was calculating the intentions of Gwendolen. An assassin posing as a friendly stranger would be ideal for scouting out the house for a later mission. The way she glanced around could be innocent curiosity, or she could be memorizing the layout of the house.

Of course, there was no way he could know one way or the other, it would be better to question her in a more private setting. Marlon became aware of Asele's impatience and came up with a plan.

"I am looking forward to hearing more about that good side of yours, Miss Gwendolen, but it will have to wait until later. I've neglected my student Asele for too long all ready. Perhaps you and Lorraine will stroll the grounds with Talon while I see to Asele's instruction? After that, we can talk more."

They agreed and Marlon began to work with Asele.

"Beneath this mask, there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask, there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."
— V for Vendetta