Young Writers Society

Out from the Sea

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:27 pm
Sins says...

Jax
May 8th, 5:14pm

Finally. Something somewhat exciting has happened on this over-sized boat. It turns out there's a stowaway on here. The guy, Gabe, is going to have to stay on the boat considering we're in the middle of the ocean. I suggested that we throw him overboard but the captain's too nice of a guy to do that. I was disappointed.

Gabe actually seems like an all right guy himself. The kind of guy I could easily get along with. He doesn't seem that keen on any of us though. I can't blame him; most of the crew are annoyingly boring.

Considering this is such an important mission, the supplies aren't very good at all. I'm no expert when it comes to ships, but I'm quite certain that there isn't enough food to last us the entire journey. I suppose that we could stop somewhere to buy more supplies, but I have no idea if there's any land near whatsoever.

Oh well, we'll have to cope with what we have for now, I guess. Hm... I still want to throw that Gabe guy overboard...
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:11 am
Elinor says...

Allie Brown, Day 2
May 8th, 6:24 PM

I guess you could say that I feel somewhat sorry for the stowaway, thief, whatever he is. He keeps pleading that he's innocent, and that he wants to go home. I wish we could send him home, but we're nowhere near land and if we went back we would loose valuable time.

As one might imagine, there was a lot of debate as to what we should do. The stowaway (Gabe is his name) looked fairly uncomfortable while we were bickering. I don't think we should kill him like some members seem to think. It's only me and the captain, really, that are trying to think of compensation for him. What's with that, anyway? I brought up the idea that we could drop him off in Florida, which people seem to like. However we had had enough of each other so we went our separate ways.

Only the captain came to comfort me. He said that we'd figure something out and that situations like this happen all the time. The way he'd stroked my shoulder...it just felt, so...like something I hadn't felt since I dated Mike in sophmore year. I just wonder if he feels the same way. I'm sure hoping it will be alright.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:41 am
JabberHut says...

Captain's Log
08MAY10 2300Hours

I expected the crew would have different opinions about Gabe, but I hardly argued. They all made good points, of course, but there's hardly anything we can do. If he makes any foul move, I'll be sure he's tied up and stowed away, no pun intended. He's hardly a concern now though.

I'm not sure what happened to our food supply. It's only been a day, and we're already running low. I find this frustrating and suspicious. There's absolutely no way we can survive so long without food. We'll have to make a stop. I'll talk to Smithy in the morning to see if we can't make that possible. Fish is always good too though.

But as the captain, I have a duty to keep things under control, and to look like things are under control too. Which they are, though I wouldn't have minded if we were better supplied. I remember checking the supply myself, and it was well-stocked before we left. VERY well-stocked. It wasn't even close to how low it is now. Something's not right here, but even Gabe couldn't stuff so much food in his pockets. It can't be his fault the supply's low, as easy a scapegoat he is.

Why would anyone want to lower our food supply? OUR food supply? We're only a crew of five (or six) going on... a treasure hunt. Someone must be after the treasure for themselves or some alternative purpose from the Smithsonian. And that person wants us out of the way once we find it. It's not too difficult of a plan when the food supply's low, as long as they have friends in "high" places (such as a chopper coming to pick them up possibly). That would suggest someone on this boat is planning to betray us. But Gabe works alone, as far as I can tell from his story and actions. He's a lone thief who requires no partners-in-crime or risk humiliation as a thief. (After all, thieves fend for themselves, otherwise their abilities are questioned. That only angers a thief, and no one likes an angry thief.) Things just got a whole lot interesting.

In the meantime, everyone's settled in now, aside from the fact that we've a new member on our team. We didn't have any group dinner, not that I expected one. On the first day, I did request it, but we've all gotten to know each other a lot better with just today's events. Allie seemed a bit nervous after the crew's debate about Gabe. I hardly said anything during that debate, allowing everyone to voice their opinions. The decision was made long before the debate began, and I wasn't changing my mind. That would just be unfair to Gabe, and it would ruin the trust between captain and crew. It was just a debate for people to say what they want to say, and I didn't care to stop it.

But anyway, I had to talk to Allie later that night when we finally broke up. She seems less nervous now, but I always have that affect on women. Allie is no different. Though she still seems to be a trustworthy crew member. Jax and Shayne were off somewhere else--I didn't see where they each went. But Smithy was up top with a drink, and I joined him with my own when Allie left for the night. Flirting with women and a drink with my mates--sounds like a good night to me.

Daniel A. Williker
U.S.S. Harmony, Captain
I make my own policies.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:10 pm
Rydia says...

Smithy. 9th May. 8:00 AM.

Allie didn't seem to think that a stowaway was possible at first. There is a foolish novelty to her, as if she would like to think the best of every situation and everyone. Or perhaps it is a lack of attention, I do not know but I hope I have efficiently disillusioned her on both accounts. I would say it wasted precious time but in the end there was time enough for this.

How does that sound huh? I think I'd make a pretty suave journalist. Anyway, they should get their scandal out of yesterday's events. Turned out we were right about the stowaway and I suspect he will bring us plenty of trouble before this journey is through.

After all of that I needed a drink, or it gave me an excuse for drinking. I don't much care which. The captain joined me up top and I probed him gently. I think some harmless flirting is in order but he strikes me as a straight and narrow man if you know what I mean. No time for the likes of me. Perhaps it will make him feel awkward. That would be adorable and almost satisfaction enough.

I think he longs strongly for my company, haha. He sought me again this morning, wants to make port somewhere for more supplies. I asked him if we didn't have enough already and apparently there may be trouble brewing. I don't much mind hearing that. A quiet adventure is not an adventure at all and I'd rather the crew be troublesome than the sea. She is not a lady to be crossed.

I wonder if someone will join me at the tiller today. I wouldn't mind some easy conversation to pass the time.

Robert Nicholas Smith,
Navigating the S.S. Harmony.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:40 am
Octave says...

Gabe-May 10-2.18PM

I saw someone throwing some food off the boat. Unfortunately, I couldn't see who it was. All I saw was a figure before something got chucked at me and I had to run.

Of course I told the captain. Of course a bunch of jerks didn't believe me. They said I was trying to cover up what I was doing.

Get real morons. I wouldn't tell you jackshit about my own actions. Okay, sometimes I told the police in advanced, but that was only because it made the heist much funner than it would have been without the police.

I wouldn't tell the police anything if I was caught either.

So now the captain is more than a little grumpy and the boat is so full of tension it could kill. But that's not the end of this stupid day.

Because just as we finished fighting a Somalian pirate ship approached us.

Two words: NOT GOOD.
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

Reviews: 2
Sat May 01, 2010 3:29 am
WalkInTheSun613x says...

Shayne
May 10th 2:25 pm

This is nothing like I would have expected. There's a stowaway, and to be honest, I want him gone. His name's Gabe. I haven't really talked to him much, as I haven't to anyone. But Gabe makes one more person on this ship, which means one more person in the way of my treasure. It's not like I'm incapable of killing this guy anyway, thank you black belt...not that I display the fact that I'm a black belt to the public...

Well on another note, I've been trying to work as best I can on this ship. It seems like I may need to ask the captain a few things about everything later on though. It's just so confusing, and so much to take in. New people, new surroundings, new claustrophobic feeling. It's totally different from walking around all those people in the city, because back home I know everyone has their head in their own cloud. But there's only six people on this ship, and one person's circumstances are the next person's source for intimidation and threat. There's barely any privacy here.

Oh God, I think someone just said there's a pirate ship ahead. Don't panic, don't panic. Okay......panic.

You won't know the outcome of something unless you try it.
— manilla