z

Young Writers Society

'The Gas Station'

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:45 pm
cannibalcorpse3 says...

Alright, so there's this old, seedy looking gas station out in the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan, Canada. It's located on an unnamed stretch of highway, with absolutely no nearby buildings or people. In it lives a relatively large family of poor, ratty, country-folk, not adapted to a social life or technology or anything like that. Anyways, there's been some disappearences of travellers who've passed by the station on their journeys (but never with any evidence of their actually stopping there) and therefore some rumors about what goes on at that gas station, shady rumors, about murder, and even darker ones about Satanism, cannibalism, and sick-minded tortures and the such. But it's not in anyone's best interest to investigate the matter, and you'd probably be considered crazy to want to anyways. Until one day, in the closest town in proximity to the station, an ex-military man moves in. Once the rumors start to get around to his ears, he grows more and more curious about the strange, ominous family inhabiting the lone structure on that stretch of road to the south...

And there you have it!

This is kind of an odd form of Storybook I think, but it deserves a go, yeah? Basically, you need to submit character descriptions for the people I will list below (I'll list the Character Requirements too) and after we get the characters down I'll start the story off in whichever location the story seems fit to start at. Then we'll take it from there :3. Hope you're up for some very creative template filling :P.

RULES
Swearing is okay, but remember, profanity is best used only when it makes sense to use it. Like, don't start talking about 'the fucking trees', but at the same time, if it makes more sense for your grumpy old lady character to yell 'Shit!' when she drops a rock on her toe, for God's sake use 'shit' and not 'Oh fiddlesticks!'
Graphic scenes/analogies/whatever are alright too, but also remember this isn't exactly one of the disgustingly graphic 'romantic' paperbacks your aunt probably reads, yeah?

OTHER STUFF I SHOULD MENTION
I know it's a pain to research everything you put on paper, but if you're talking about Satanism, or the geography of Saskatchewan, or any other bit of information that it'd probably be important to be accurate about in this story, please go the extra mile, so you don't end up sounding stupid and we can all be enlightened by your bit of research.
Also, the name of the town the military guy moves to is Denton, and the last name of the family there is Jenkin (both these names are up for debate).

LIST OF CHARACTERS
**PS- you can name the characters and otherwise personalize them as you see fit.**
-The ex-military man who moves to Denton CLAIMED BY cannibalcorpse3
-Jenkin family father
-Jenkin family mother CLAIMED BY Kaywiia
-Father's brother (Uncle)
-Younger Jenkin daughter CLAIMED BY LoVeLeSs
-Younger Jenkin son CLAIMED BY Daisy131Spoink
-Older Jenkin daughter CLAIMED BY Apple
-Older Jenkin son CLAIMED BY Biffle1
-Oldest Jenkin daughter CLAIMED BY Forestqueen808
-Grandpa Jenkin (a country-folk name if I ever heard one ^-^)
Feel free to add random recurring townsfolk and the such too. Pets welcome as well.

CHARACTER PALETTE
**please disclude any immediate physical descriptions of the characters, you can add minor physical traits (hair colour, height, weight)in during the story if it's fitting.**
Name of character (1st and last)
Age of character (or approximation)
Description of character's personality

I think that's it, so I hope this new template interests those willing to give it a try :3
Last edited by cannibalcorpse3 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.
The remainder is, An unjustifiable, egotistical, power struggle, At the expense of the American Dream.

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:52 pm
Apple says...

Save for older Jenkins Daughter and if I can I'll make a random towns folk girl who wants to investigate to???

If not I'll stick with the older daughter.
I spy!

10 Reviews

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:31 pm
cannibalcorpse3 says...

No problem, throw her in too :)
The remainder is, An unjustifiable, egotistical, power struggle, At the expense of the American Dream.

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:56 pm
Forestqueen808 says...

Can you save a spot for the oldest Jenkin daughter?
Sorrow lasts through this night
I'll take this piece of you,
and hold for all eternity
For just one second I felt whole... as you flew right through me.

~Sorrow by Flyleaf

143 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 143
Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:57 pm
LovelessSummer says...

I want a random traveler! Or something along that line, but, if not I want the younger daughter.
LoVeLeSs I review short stories and novels.

Always remember that you’re unique. Just like everyone else.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:51 pm
whatevr says...

Can I have the older Jenkin son?

(If i may, here is my description of him)

Name: Cameron Jenkins.

He is a fair haired town boy with high hopes to become a succesful electrition. His regular baggy wardrobe doesnt suit his kind yet edgy attitiude. SOmetimes at night he will wake up just to sit on the couch and watch through his little sisters open door to make sure she isnt spying on anyone else. With a family secret, what will he do? Help the hot new ex-marine to unravel the family's secret, or stick with his fasmily? (If you didnt notice with the comment on the hot marine, the boy is gay)

Thanks a bunch.

Question: Can we start writing now, or wait til the characters are taken...?

Biffle
Last edited by whatevr on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Literally whatevr

143 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:50 pm
LovelessSummer says...

((Okay! My profile, here for your viewing eyes!))
Name: Hina Jenkins
Personality: She's excited and curious, always running about poking into peoples business, spying on people, and listening intently on others discussions. She always flits around in some type of dress and tiara, pretending to be a fairy or whatever she feels like that day. She's quiet so you never see her coming and, if you catch her, she just giggles, gives some weird comment, and runs away. She's creepy and mysterious, doing things like bringing home disembodied animal parts she finds outside and saying random things or speaking in riddles. Sometimes, she could be watching you and you won't even know it...((Dun dun DUN! xD))

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:17 pm
Kaywiia says...

I claim Jenkin family mother.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

10 Reviews

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:30 pm
cannibalcorpse3 says...

Biffle,
I's thinking we would wait until all the characters were claimed first, but now I'm kinda thinking we'll just wait for someone to claim the last son and then the rest of the characters could be ones we'll just play around with.

Does anyone have feedback on that, actually?

Reviews: 3
Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:45 pm
Daisy131Spoink says...

I'll join. :elephant: Watch this post for a profile.

10 Reviews

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:06 pm
cannibalcorpse3 says...

Before we start, we're awaiting character profiles from Apple (for the older daughter), Forestqueen808 (for the oldest daughter), Kaywiia (for the mother), and Daisy131Spoink (who says she'll be posting soon). I kinda took the ex military guy since he's kind of a major character and I thought he needed someone to back him up. Here's his profile:

Name: Cap. Dale Groh
Personality: He's layed back, experienced, and tough, but he's really sweet. When he speaks, it's usually something smart or funny he has to say, and everyone seems to be drawn to him for it. He's open for love, but not looking for it.

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:19 pm
Apple says...

First Character~

Name of character (1st and last) Diedrie Jenkins

Age of character (or approximation)16

Description of character's personality Bubbly and often taken for a little insane, Diedrie can be very sweet though also very angry and vicious when she wants to be.

Second Character~

Name of character (1st and last) Codie Rose

Age of character (or approximation) 15

Description of character's personality Brave and adventurous, Codie often acts like a boy to disguise herself when she wants to get around easier and not be seen by people who will immediatly report her to her mother.

**Both of them are open for love.
I spy!

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:33 pm
Forestqueen808 says...

Name of character: Layla Jenkin
Age of character: 17? (is that good?)
Description of character's personality: Layla is bubbly and very sweet. She has a passion for music and is a straight A student. She does well in groups, and is a very successful leader. Oh, and she is athletic.

She has dark hair and bright blue eyes. She is thin, and slightly tan. But she is also muscular.
Sorrow lasts through this night
I'll take this piece of you,
and hold for all eternity
For just one second I felt whole... as you flew right through me.

~Sorrow by Flyleaf

143 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:40 am
LovelessSummer says...

When are we officially starting?

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:41 pm
Kaywiia says...

Name of character: Eliza May Jenkins (Mother)
Age of character: 39
Description of character's personality: she is one of those 'miracle mothers' who allways will have a fresh batch of cookies in the oven and your lunch packed for you. She is always happy. And in her opinion, life is too short to be wasting getting good grades, unless you want to. She has a very do-what-makes-you-happy type personality.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
— Francis Bacon