z

Young Writers Society

Uglies~Pretties~Specials

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:13 am
Jas says...

Hey! I haven't made any SB for a while since my last two died out epically :) I was re-reading the Uglies sereis by Scott Westerfield yesterday and thought it would be cool to make an SB out of it. The plot thingy is credited to A Pretty Ugly World RPG. I attempted to write one but it sounding bad so I used the trusty copy and paste! As of right now, there is no limit to the amount of charries, considering I doubt anyone will join but..without further ado:

Plot:
Spoiler! :
No one knows exactly how many Rusties there were at the time of the crash. We know for sure that the population was up to 10 billion, but who knows how many of them there were.
The Rusties had a huge appetite for resources that wrecked the planet. They burned so much energy that you could see the lights from space. Each Rusty produced about two kilograms everyday.
To feed their appetites, Rusties would wreak havoc on the climate, the sky, and the earth. Over 100 species would be extinct everyday. The economy was built on poverty and debt. The politicians would do anything to kill each other. One day, they just became too good at destroying themselves.

It all started with the oil bug. No one knows how it came about, whether it be a natural process of life or an invention meant to help with oil spills. There's no denying that these tiny bacteria changed the world.
The oil bug would travel through any contact with oil. Soon cars became bombs once they touched air and oil fields became firestorms. It's spores traveled through air and it went across the entire world.
With everything aflame, there was no way to escape the chaotic cities. The planet was to broken and dirty to house survivors, though-the rivers were dirty and the land wouldn't grow food. In the first decade, 98% of humanity died.

A few survived to rebuild, of course. The old nation states were gone, the cities were gone, everything was gone. When cities started to rise again, it was in small, safe areas. When each area tried to reach out and communicate with each other, they all reached the same verdict: The planet must not be wrecked again.
The cities established limited contact but continued to trade and share technology. The cities focused on renewable resources like solar and wind power. Hover technology was made possible but had limited travel to other cities. Everyone avoided rebuilding the highways of the Rusties.
Although war wasn't the best idea at this time, conflicts still arose because of people's different beliefs and cultures. About a century later, all of the scientists from all the cities met to study human conflict.
Soon, a researcher found something called "The Halo Effect." Beautiful people were treated better and didn't cause as much trouble. Perhaps if everyone were beautiful, the world would be a better and more peaceful place. Over many years a surgical procedure was perfected and nothing could stand against the power of a pretty face.

This was only the official story though. What scientists really discovered was that pretty people did fight with one another no matter how beautiful. The surgery called for something else. Something more drastic.
The answer was the bubblehead surgery. No one questioned what happened when they went under the knife because everyone wanted to be beautiful. Small alterations were made in the brain reducing aggression and increasing compliance. They couldn't handle war, conflict, or even more than one or two children every few decades.
Finally humanity could be kept in an idyllic state forever-the end of hardship and conflict had been reached at last.
Of course, this aspect of the surgery is a secret. Unfortunately, some people had to sacrifice their innocence and happiness to become the governors of society. So while the world was bubbly and pretty, a few of the people could still see the cold, cruel reality. These people saw themselves as Special.

Those kept from the bubblehead humanity started making themselves special. Some were firefighters, wardens, and scientists. Some were the last line of defense, something that required a cruel beauty. They called themselves Special Circumstances. The rules no longer applied to them.
They might have stayed in charge if it weren't for Maddy and Az. As doctors, the bubblehead effect was taken away from them. They didn't realize that's what happened, of course, until they started observing younger Uglies, Wardens, and Pretties. What were these lesions?
Maddy and Az's research was shut down by Special Circumstances and so the two ran away from the city. They founded a community called "The Smoke." The Smokies learned to live in the wild. Although they did borrow some technologies, they learned to do things with man power. For a long time the cities had no reason to suspect the Smoke's existence.
When Maddy and Az had a son, everything changed. When he was old enough, he started exploring the Rusty Ruins and would occasionally run into tricky Uglies. David impressed all of the Uglies he met and soon he became a legend.
David started collecting runaways and now The Smoke is more than just a rumor. Whispers could be heard from all over as the Smoke kept expanding.

[spoiler]Please remember that the plot takes place about a year before Tally has even met Shay, let alone David, Zane, or Dr. Cable.

You are either a Tricky Ugly, a Smokie, a Special. Maybe I'll have Pretties too but I even doubt many people will join this. If you want to be a pretty, just ask :)

As a tricky ugly you: have heard about the Smoke and think it's interesting. You eventually go to the Rusty Ruins and meet David, your choice to go to the Smoke or become a New Pretty. Age: 14-15

As a Smokie you: live off the land in a compounded area far away from civilization. You can go to the outskirts of cities to recruit new uglies but be careful, Special Circumstance will be watching. Age: 16-40

As a special you: are dangerously beautiful, scary almost. You are exceedingly strong, extremely smart and it is your job to stop tricky uglies from running off to the smoke. You keep peace in the cities but you are basically a rumor to Pretties and Uglies. Age: 17-27

[/spoiler]

Rules:

No God-Modding

No cursing at all. This is in the future and the people in this time period don't curse at all. They don't even know what cursing is, pretty much.

No baby-making or things that refer to baby-making :)

No killing off characters without my consent and/or the owner's consent.

Character Profile:

Name:

Role:

History:

Personality:

Appearance:

Up for love?:

Other:

All righty then! Let's see how this goes!
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:40 am
Elinor says...

I'll join, but can I be a pretty?

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

336 Reviews

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:59 am
Jas says...

sure :) A brand spanking new pretty or a new-old pretty?
I am nothing

~*~

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:31 pm
Howler says...

Name: "Father" (David Vatican)

Role: Smokie

History: David lived an innocent life as a child. His father, and his only parent, ran and raised David in a religious building back in civilization which was called "The Cathedral". He lived his life with faith and bliss, however, the civilization didn't.

Although "The Cathedral" had many visitors, many people were against this. One night, when David was 14, a crowd formed outside The Cathedral, and his father went out to fix the problem. David went back to sleep, and being the strong sleeper he was, he slept through windows broken, benches demolished, and bookcases being dropped.

When David woke up, he looked around at the destruction, and eventually went to the center of the room to see his father's corpse, covered in blood and wounds. David ran out of The Cathedral and panicked. His loving parent was dead, and he needed to find somewhere to go. At this point, he was alone with his faith. He looked to God for his answers, and eventually, he met what he thought was a prophet; but it just turned out to be a smokie.

He was told of the paradise in the wild, and left almost immediately. Time passed. He lived a life of work each day as a smoker, but his passion was at night. He built a building out of whatever he could find, from scrap metal to lumber. It may have been ugly as hell, but he still lived in it and kept his faith inside it. He prayed each night, and began going insane. He began thinking of himself as a chosen one of God, and called himself "The Father".

People didn't care too much that he wanted to be called that. The first many years David lived in the Smoke, he didn't talk much. He began making his prayer house, which he called "The New Cathedral", as soon as he came along. He never talked, never spoke, just walked and built. He eventually became one of the eldest in the community, and one of the most successful recruiters. People just knew him as he wanted to be called; Father.

When he went off to recruit, he did it religiously; he offered new uglies a holy escape, and a life of bliss. Not many bought the religion, and he's still alone in The New Cathedral, but it somehow worked. New uglies believed him enough to come along, and although they didn't follow Father in with his faith, he still believed he had, and was happy with that thought.

Father lived a life of work, prayer, and inner peace. He knew how to fight, even though he never usually chose it as a first decision. He had a way with words, and when he did have to fight, his victims regretted pulling out their weapon. Father may be insane, but he's the happiest lunatic anybody would know.

Personality: Although his faith is important, most people just see him to be polite and kind. He's extremely forgiving, never wants to fight, and he's respectful to anybody he meets.

Appearance: Father has short blonde hair and blue eyes. He has strong muscular build, but covers it over heavy cargo pants and a trench coat. Under the trench coat, he has a black tank top. Lastly, he has a black symbol tattooed on the palms of his hands; this symbol is what his father used for The Cathedral and it's what he has painted on the New Cathedral. He likes to say that it shows people that he shares hands of god.
Spoiler! :

Up for love?: Of course. Love is god's will.

Other: I've had this character collecting dust in the shelves of my mind, and I finally get to use him. High fives for making an awesome storybook that I can use him in.
"I'm fearless in my heart
They will always see that in my eyes
I am the passion, I am the warfare
I will never stop
Always constant,
Accurate,
Intense"
"The Audience is Listening", by Steve Vai

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:47 pm
Theodorable says...

Hey Jas, can I make a rebel pretty? Like how Tally was? That way we could have the link between the worlds. If not, I'll just make a smokie.
Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole. -Dean, Supernatural

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:25 pm
Elinor says...

jasminebells wrote:sure :) A brand spanking new pretty or a new-old pretty?

She's just freshly out of her new pretty years and is in training for a job.

-- Walt Disney

336 Reviews

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:40 am
Jas says...

Howler- Thats a great profile! :)

Elinor- By jobs, you mean your character is going to be a special right?

Teddy- Sure! That's what my character is going to be :)
I am nothing

~*~

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:36 pm
Elinor says...

jasminebells wrote:Elinor- By jobs, you mean your character is going to be a special right?

No. Just let me post my bio and you'll see. I'll do it soon-I've got to leave for school in 5 minutes, though.

-- Walt Disney

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:50 pm
Howler says...

Thanks for complimenting my profile, Jasmine!

Howler's Ego has gained 10 points
"I'm fearless in my heart
They will always see that in my eyes
I am the passion, I am the warfare
I will never stop
Always constant,
Accurate,
Intense"
"The Audience is Listening", by Steve Vai

336 Reviews

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:00 am
Jas says...

LOL!! I really laughed at that one, Howler :D xD
I am nothing

~*~

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:38 am
Elinor says...

Name
Eris Lyre

Role
Pretty

History
Eris lead a fairly typical life. She was the and only child, living a fairly quiet life with her friends, eagerly awaiting the move to Uglyville with her natural pretty friend, Selina, whom she always envied.

Eris loved Uglyville for the two years that she was there, especially enjoying the fact that Selina was in her dorm. They were inseparable. Eris started to take a liking for films there, especially the ones from the rusty days. She grew interested in their culture, and soon wanted to learn more about them.

Eris soon became a devoted follower of the Rusties, engaging herself in their ideals and customs. She found the trips to the Rusty Ruins fascinating, wondering it would be like to live in a such a different world. She was sure that they weren't all bad, and was devoted to teaching that ideal to others-and that was when she first decided that she wanted to become a teacher of history.

Soon the sixteenth birthdays of both Selina and Eris were approaching. Eris was extremely nervous about the operation. Selina was glad she wouldn't have to take it, or so she had thought. Just a few days before Selina's sixteenth birthday, and a month before Eris's-Selina learned she would indeed have to undergo the operation.

This always made the two suspicious, but Selina was operated on nonetheless, and Eris followed soon after. Eris loved pretty life. As soon as she was released into new pretty town, Selina introduced her to all the lovely new friends she had made. The two, never popular before, soon had boys flocking to their sides. And it was all only a start to the high-tech luxury mansions that they lived in. They enjoyed four years of it before they outgrew new pretty town and soon began to leap into the slow transition into middle pretty.

As they began to take their exams-Eris, wishing to be a teacher, and Selina, wishing to be a member of the pretty committee-they remained just as great friends as they always had been. However, after a mysterious ugly clique attempted to attack the trainees, Selina fought him by herself. Special Circumstances paid a visit soon afterward, and Eris never saw Selina again.

With her best friend gone, she became incredibly lonely, friendly with others but never really feeling the bond that she had had with Selina. Always wondering wondering what happened to her, Eris began to continue her life-long research about the Rusties.

Appearance

Eris has all the typical features of a young pretty; wide, large eyes, which, for her, were a glimmering shade of aqua. Her dark brown hair-cut in thick, wavy layers, goes to her shoulders. Her eyebrows, thin, perfectly perfectly plucked, and arched, complimented a round, athletic figure and deeply tanned skin. She looks good in practically anything, and loves dressing up in simple clothing; beautiful but comfortable.

Up for Love
Absolutley

Other
Although is she is still technically a bubblehead and does not really understand what being cured really means, she likes being bubbly and being able to think clearly-and senses there is something wrong about feeling empty headed. Searching for something that will make her permanently bubbly, she does not realize, because she is training to become a teacher, that she will already be given the cure.

-- Walt Disney

336 Reviews

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:02 am
Jas says...

Nice profile! :)
I am nothing

~*~

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:12 am
Elinor says...

Thanks Jasmine!

Oh, and if it isn't obvious, Selina becomes a special. I'm thinking of Eris maybe eventually joining them, involuntarily of course, but I don't know quite yet.

-- Walt Disney

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:38 pm
Theodorable says...

Sorry it took me so long to get my profile done.
Name: Carlie Bedwyn

Role: pretty, (rebel)

History: Carlie has always wondered what it would be like to live an imperfect life. She is tired of everything being so simple for her. She wanted to join the Smoke, but never had the courage to do it.
When she went under the procedure she forgot her want for the Smoke, but she has been having tiny grabbs at her uglie life. She has her friends who love music just like her, they base their lives around it. She gets her flashes during her music, which is why she loves it so much.

Personality: She is very smart, she says what’s on her mind whenever she wants to and is not afraid to say anything

Appearance: She loves electric colors, along with the basics. She has her hair long and layered so she is always ready for a good rock out session. http://www.rapturethesalon.com/images/red-hair-girl.jpg

Up for love?: yes

Other: She loves music, if she doesn’t have it she gets very irritated.
Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole. -Dean, Supernatural

336 Reviews

Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:05 pm
Jas says...

Anyone else want to join? There are still loads more spots open :)
I am nothing

~*~

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
— Arthur O'Shaughnessy