z

Young Writers Society

Persona - Dynamo and Ayumi

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri May 14, 2010 7:41 pm
Dynamo says...

Haruki's mother sighed as they came to the front room. "It happened years ago, when Nanako was only three years old," she started. "Her mother was on her way to pick her up from nursery school when she was hit by a car on the side of the road. The person responsible was never caught."

Kaito came home to find Nanako sitting in the living room watching television. She smiled at him when he took off his shoes and came in and said, "Welcome home, Kaito."

"Hi, Nanako." He looked around the room before asking, "Is your father not home yet?"

Nanako frowned a little and said, "Dad called and said he's going to be working late tonight."

"I see..." He knew it was because of the investigation he was working late, but he decided not to tell Nanako about it. He didn't want to worry the girl. He left his bag by the stairs to take up later before sitting at the table beside Nanako. A news report came on a few moments later.

"This just in, Tsutsume Natsuru, the actress who went into hiatus after her affair with former house member Yakatori Fujira went public, has been found dead in the small town of Katsuragi earlier this afternoon. The body was found tangled in a television antenna on the roof of someone's house. The local police force have begun a town-wide investigation to find the murderer.

"The body was first discovered by a local high schooler. We took a few minutes to speak with her about how she came across the body. Her identity has been protected for safety reasons."

The screen cut to an image of a young girl whose face was distorted with pixelation. The only thing Kaito could tell by looking at her was that she had long blonde hair. Another voice started speaking. "Miss ******, can you tell us more about how you found the body of Miss Tsutsume?"

"Umm..." The girl's voice was distorted as well so no one could recognize it. She seemed hesitant to speak.

"Is it true you found the body on someone's roof? Did you by any chance see anyone else in the area who could have climbed up there?"

"Y...yes...no..."

The screen cut back to the reporter in the newsroom. "Unfortunately, the witness wasn't able to tell us much more than that as she was still experiencing the shock from this event. Other reports confirm that no one else was in the area before the body was found. This begs the question of how exactly the body ended up on the roof in the first place. Did the killer carry the body onto the roof himself, or was she already up there when he killed her? We'll bring you more information as the investigation develops."

(I was thinking since Haruki is talking to her mother and Kenta is on her way home, Masaru could see the news report as well since he's already home and doing nothing.)
Last edited by Dynamo on Mon May 17, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sun May 16, 2010 8:52 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Masaru stared at the screen as the news report faded to a commercial. A rooftop murder? Dang, that's freaky! But cool at the same time. But then, it happened here, in Katsuragi! And only a few blocks away from here! He swallowed, his intrigue giving way to a little fear. He looked at his cell phone, laying beckoningly on the bedstand. Maybe I should call the others and tell them about it... I mean, what if they didn't see the news? What if they're not even home yet? I'm sure Kenta would be fine, but still...

He reached over and picked up the device, punching in numbers as he began to call his friends. Haruki answered on the second ring. "Hello?"

"Hey, Haruki, have you seen the news?"

"Hey, Masaru! Uh, no, why?"

"Well, apparently there's been a murder..." He told her everything he could remember from the news clip.

----------

Kenta sighed as she entered the run-down neighborhood. Only a few more minutes and she'd be home. She felt her phone vibrate in her back pocket, but chose to leave it alone. If it was important, they'd leave a message.

She stepped up onto the porch; she could hear men arguing inside, and the stench of alcohol wafted from around the unstable door. She opened it grudgingly, knowing what was going on inside. She entered to a familiar sight - her father and a few of his friends, all of them lazy, drunk deadweights sitting around a table, gambling and drinking with the radio playing some random, lame music in the background. The television was off.

Her father looked up, huffing. "About damn time you got home. Where the hell you been?"

"With friends." She tried to walk past, to her room, to get away.

One of his friends, a husky man with a mustache, grabbed her by the wrist, wrenching her backwards to the table. He bent backwards over it, twisting her arm painfully behind her back. "What kind of act is that? You owe your father more respect than that!"

She scoffed, twisting away from him. He winced when she turned his own wrist, fingernails dragging along his skin. He let go of her, and she stood away, out of his reach. "I'll give respect when he asks for it. And the same for you!"

Another man, a little bit younger but bigger and still disgusting, chuckled. "Fiesty. I like that in a woman. How old are you, Kenta?"

She glared at him. "None of your damn business."

He stared back lustfully, rising from the table. She knew it was due to the alcohol, but she also knew better. She braced herself. He approached her, hands extended as if to make a grab for her. "Come on, now, no need to be mean. Just asking for a little friendliness on your part. Besides, your dad here owes me something. He's lost five games now."

Kenta tensed, watching as he stepped closer to her, into arm's reach. She glanced at her father, and roared, lashing out. In the blink of an eye, she punched the drunkard, bloodying his nose, before kicking him in the crotch. She moved to dart away, but her father caught her by the arm. She looked up, ready to fight, but met a hard backhand. She yelped as she crashed to the floor, hitting the table on the way down. She groaned when her side and shoulder ached, but she had no time to recover. She felt his hands on her again, picking her back up and shoving her against the wall, his hand around her throat.

"Listen here, little bitch," he snapped, slapping her again. She felt blood oozing from her lip and nose. "You show your ass and embarass me again, I swear you'll find yourself in a body bag over on China's shores. You understand me?" When she didn't answer, he struck again, making her head rattle. He threw her to the floor, lifting a foot to kick her.

She glared up at him, and kicked out again. She caught his shin with the heel of her boot, making him stumble and fall over. She shot to her feet, planting another pair of kicks to his heaving abdomen and face, before flying through the still open door. She could hear the men behind her, screaming and swearing and threatening her. A gunshot even rang out, but she kept running. She knew she was already too far away, too deep into the darkness for them to see her. She didn't even feel new pain or blood, so she hadn't been hit.

But she wasn't about to stop. She ran and ran, ignoring the searing pain in her side and shoulder as she raced on and on, heading for the only place she knew to be safe. Haruki, why can't I be like you, with your family? she sobbed, a tear rolling down her bruising cheek.

***Sorry if it's a little over-the-top. I thought it would make for an interesting conversation between Kenta and Kaito, and help them spur a friendship along...***
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

103 Reviews

Mon May 17, 2010 1:34 pm
Dynamo says...

(Yeah, it's a bit over the top. But that's the kind of stuff that makes stories interesting to read, right? :D )

Haruki had just finished eating dinner with her family and the rest of the inn staff when Masaru called her cell. She was in her own room by the time he finished telling her what he had seen on the news.

Haruki's eyes were wide the entire time. "Oh my God, someone was murdered in our town?"

"I know, it's hard to believe isn't it? But get this. It turns out that the woman who was killed was actually that actress Tsutsume Natsuru! I mean, what was she doing in our town anyway?"

That name made Haruki froze. Tsutsume had been staying in their inn for the past few days. From what she had heard, she had come here to get away from the media. A few days ago the woman had disappeared from her room. At first everyone had thought she ran off without paying for her stay.

"Hey Haruki, are you still there?" Masaru said after she had been silent for a while.

"Oh, yes. I'm still here." She couldn't tell Masaru, or anyone else for that matter, that Tsutsume Natsuru had stayed at their inn before she was murdered. If anyone found out, it could mean bad business for the inn.

She heard a knock at her window. When she looked she saw Kenta on the other side, he face was all beaten up. Haruki held in a gasp. "Sorry Masaru, I've got to go. I'll see you at school tomorrow." She didn't wait for him to say bye before she hung up and ran to the window. She opened it up and said, "Kenta, what happened!?"
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Mon May 17, 2010 8:15 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Kenta trembled, biting back tears as she clambered carefully in, moving gingerly because of her side and shoulder. They were beginning to ache, now, and were tender to the touch. "Dad and his friends got drunk and started trying to come onto me. I wouldn't have any of it."

She exhaled painfully as she sat on the bed. Haruki put a hand under Kenta's chin and lifted her face slightly, looking at the cuts and bruises on her face. "This is the worst I've seen yet!" she muttered.

Kenta scoffed, counting off on her fingers. "Considering he back-handed me, threw me into a table, and then choke-slammed me..."

"Jesus!" Haruki gaped at her, outrage all over her face. She went to the other side of the room, opening the door into the bathroom. She wet a handrag, grabbed a towel, and pulled a pack of cotton balls and some ointment down from the cabinents. "Did you call the police?"

Kenta sighed as Haruki sat down beside her, beginning to wipe the blood off her cheek and neck. She was careful around the bruises, which hurt earnestly. At last, Kenta felt safe; she relaxed against Haruki's friendly touch, accepting her help. "No. I didn't."

Haruki looked at her. "You should! This can't keep going on! He'll kill you one of these days!"

Kenta frowned, a tear coming to her eyes. She involuntarily put a hand against her side, just holding it gingerly. "I know... I'm so scared... I don't want to go home anymore."

Haruki looked at her friend. Kenta was much like a scorpion: she had a tough exoskeleton and a mean, aggressive attitude, but she was really soft on the inside - like a child looking for someone to hold her. The frightened, beaten girl brought a hand to her mouth and sobbed into it, wincing when her side and shoulder hurt; she had no doubt she would be stiff and sore tomorrow - probably badly bruised.

Haruki wrapped a comforting arm around her. "It'll be okay. We'll figure something out. I promise."

Kenta looked at Haruki. So innocent and sweet, she always had something to smile about, some way to smile at all. That was an infectious spirit; her caring words dried her tears and brought an awkward, stiff, and sore smile to Kenta's face. "Thanks."
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

103 Reviews

Fri May 21, 2010 1:18 am
Dynamo says...

(I'm just having a bit of trouble thinking of what to post next. Do you want to do a time jump to the next day, or do you have anything else you want the characters to talk about first?)
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Fri May 21, 2010 2:14 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

***I'm pretty much done. The only other thing I was really going to let happen would be Haruki convincing Kenta to let her borrow her clothes - despite being preppy - until the blood is washed out of her own and put on makeup to hide the bruises. But we can do that in the morning when all the friends catch up at school.***

103 Reviews

Tue May 25, 2010 3:24 am
Dynamo says...

(Sorry about the delay. It was the Victoria-day weekend and we just got home from camping.)

Kaito got up the next morning to a gray sky. It seemed even after the downpour two days before there was another one approaching. Thinking about it reminded him about what Masaru and the others had said about the Midnight Channel. Was it real? Well, if the rain carried on into the night he would find out.

After eating breakfast and walking Nanako-chan to school, he was off to his own school. About half-way there he heard a bike approaching from behind. Sure enough, when he looked over his shoulder he saw Masaru.

Masaru started to wave at him, but then lost control of his bike. Before either of them knew it, Masaru crashed into a pile of trash cans on the side of the street.
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Tue May 25, 2010 5:13 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

***Well, today's the day. In seven hours, I will be a Greenville High alumni and an offical college student!!! :D :elephant: I'm taking classes every Tuesday this summer, a mandatory orientation and two music courses. :D I can't wait!!!***

Kaito laughed as he approached his friend, stumbling to his feet and pulling his bike upright. "Always crashing into things."

Masaru chuckled sheepishly, patting dust and trash off his uniform.

"Kaito! Masaru!" Haruki called. They looked up and down the block to see Haruki walking with a strange girl beside her. Kaito looked closer; no, not strange. It was Kenta! But she was so different from yesterday - she was wearing a skirt, and her hair was hanging, the layers framing her face and falling halfway down her back. It looked like she was also wearing makeup under those sunglasses. Her lips seemed a little swollen, but he paid it no mind.

"Kenta?" he asked, not quite resisting the urge to smile at the transformation.

He couldn't see her eyes behind the deep black shades, but he knew she was glaring at him. The thin line her mouth formed and the slight furrowing of her brow made it clear enough she wasn't happy. "Hi..." Even her tone was sour.

But she didn't give him the chance to reply. She turned and stood away from them, patiently waiting with her back to them. Haruki chuckled nervously. "Don't mind her. She's in...one of her moods."

103 Reviews

Tue May 25, 2010 7:26 pm
Dynamo says...

(Awesome! Good luck with your classes.

I was thinking we could get our characters to go to the department store, Junes, after school the next day. It's going to be important for the plot, but it needs to be after they watch the Midnight Channel. I was thinking Kenta could force Masaru to buy her a meal there as payment for breaking her movie.)

Kaito nodded and decided not to ask more. It wasn't his place to push. As they all started walking to school together, Masaru said, "So, did anyone else see the news last night?"

"I did," Kaito said.

"Why? What happened?" Kenta asked.

"That actress that's been on the news lately, Tsutsume Natsuru, was murdered right here in our town!"

Kenta's eyes widened in shock. "Are you serious!?"

"I wouldn't lie about something like this. Her body was found on someone's roof, tangled up in a T.V. antenna."

"Could we... not talk about this right now?" Haruki asked. It wasn't exactly the kind of topic they should discuss first thing in the morning.

(Could you have them talk about watching the Midnight Channel tonight?)
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Sat May 29, 2010 4:26 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Masaru nodded. The group began to walk toward the school, Kenta leading the way.

"So, you know its supposed to rain, tonight," Masaru said in an almost sing-songish voice. "Which means..."

Haruki smiled. "I know! The Midnight Channel!"

Kaito glanced at Kenta as she shook her head, groaning in agitation. "That stuff's bullshit. You really mean you two are gonna watch it?"

Haruki shrugged. "I don't see why not. I mean, just to give it a try..."

Masaru grinned mischeviously. "What do you say, Kaito? You gonna watch it, too?"

He glanced again at Kenta, and shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe."

103 Reviews

Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:16 pm
Dynamo says...

Kenta sighed and shook her head. She didn't understand what all the fuss about the Midnight Channel was. It was probably just some rumor started by a first-year as a joke. But, since she was staying with Haruki she might as well watch it tonight, too.

They arrived at school soon after and went to their classroom. Before their first class started, Kaito overheard some students talking in the corner.

"Hey, did you see the news last night?" one of them asked.

"Yeah, who would have thought something like that could happen in our town?" the other student said.

"Get this, my friend said he saw Ms. Natsuru at the Minako Inn a couple of days before this happened."

"Really?" The second student looked around the room until he spotted Haruki sitting at her desk. He walked over to her and asked, "Hey, Haruki. Is it true that Tsutsume Natsuru was staying at your family's inn?"

"I'm... not allowed to give information away about our customers," Haruki said simply.

"Oh... okay." The student hesitantly made his way back to his friend. Haruki sighed, this was exactly what she didn't want to happen. If word got out that Ms. Natsuru had stayed at her family's inn before she was killed, people would start to spread rumors.
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:09 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Haruki whined, putting her face in her hands. "Oh no! This can't be happening!"

Kaito reached over and touched her on the arm. "It'll be alright. If you want, we can help stop anything from starting."

She shook her head, tears coming to her eyes. "It won't do any good! The rumors start here, and then they'll spread to the town and - "

Kenta cleared her throat, grabbing the distraught girl's hand. "Look at me, Haruki." She did so. "It will be okay. I will make sure nothing happens and nothing's said."

Masaru nodded his goofy smile. "Me, too."

Kaito didn't have to say anything. His expression alone said a thousand comforts.

The teacher came in at that moment, clearing his throat and demanding that every one take their seats. The bustle quietened, but didn't cease. The professor's eyes trained on Kenta.

"Kenta-chan, you know sunglasses aren't allowed in the building. Take 'em off, now."

She sighed, grudgingly removing them and setting them on the desk. She kept her head low; even with make-up on, you could tell her right eye was blackened and her lip was busted. Hopefully, the shadow cast by her hair would offset any discolorations.

103 Reviews

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:55 pm
Dynamo says...

(Just so you know, from today forward Haruki's mom is going to need her to help out at the inn more often, since it's starting to get more busy.)

School that day went by pretty uneventfully. Most of their classes were boring as hell, but they all managed to pull through until the dismissal bell. When classes were finished they all packed up and left together. By the time they got outside it was raining.

"So it's agreed, when we go home we're all going to stay up until midnight tonight and watch the Midnight Channel to see if anything happens," Masaru confirmed. Kaito and Haruki both nodded while Kenta let out a displeased grunt.

Another student was waiting at the school's gate when they were about to leave. He had a very plain face with black hair and a mole on one cheek. He approached them just as they were about to leave and addressed Haruki. "Hey, Haruki. Want to hang out?"

(None of them have never spoken to this kid before, so they don't know his name, just so you know. I need Haruki to politely tell him she's busy.)
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:46 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Haruki looked at him, studying him closely. The more she looked at him, the more suspicious she got of him. She had never spoken to him, didn't even know his name! But he knew hers, and was asking her to hang out?

She swallowed and gave him a polite smile. "I'm sorry, I can't. I have some things I have to do."

He just nodded. "Okay. Maybe some other time."

Haruki turned away and hurried to catch up with the others, who had kindly waited. Kenta slipped her sunglasses back on, hiding her eyes. "Who was that?"

Haruki shrugged. "I don't know. He wanted to...hang out."

Masaru laughed hysterically. "Haruki's got a stalker! Haruki's got a stalker!" he started chanting in a singsong voice.

Kenta gave him a good punch on the arm. "Cool it, will you! Just because he knows her name doesn't mean he's a stalker. Hell, basically everyone knows her name!"

Kaito chuckled at them all. "Anyway, what do you say we go to my place and hang out for a while, until supper time?"

103 Reviews

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:04 am
Dynamo says...

(Just so you know, they'll all be watching the midnight channel at their own homes, except Kenta who will be watching it with Haruki.)

"Sounds good to me," Masaru said. He looked at the others and asked, "What about you guys?"

Haruki was hesitant at the thought of going to another boy's house. But then again, Masaru and Kenta would be there with her so it should be okay. However, her phone started to ring before she could answer. "Hold on a second," she said as she fished it out of her pocket. "Hello?" she answered.

"Haruki, it's your mother. I need you to come home right away. A handful of customers have just signed in and the staff needs some extra help."

Haruki sighed a little and said, "Okay Mom, I'll be there in a few minutes." She hung up the phone and looked at the others apologetically. "That was my mom, she needs my help back at the inn."

"Ah, that sucks. What about you, Kenta?"

"I should go with Haruki. I'm sure they could use my help as well." Deep down she knew it was a lie. Kenta was still trying to get over the shock from last night, and right now she didn't want to be away from her friend.

"All right," Kaito said, "we'll see you two tomorrow then."

They both nodded before heading down the road toward the inn.

"So, I guess it's just you and me," Kaito said.
Take that, science!

And you have to flaunt the weird, my friends.
— Alex Fierro