z

Young Writers Society

The Defenders of Jiran (RPG)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:07 am
Griffinkeeper says...

The Story: During the turn of the century, the Pirate Guilds of Yaner began raiding the Empire of Amalar. Admiral Ichan learned of an approaching attack and engaged the Pirates, only to have 20 of his capital ships torn to pieces by the large guns of the Guilds.

As the Imperial Navy attempts to re-orient it's forces, the Guilds launch a series of attacks that plunder and raze the islands of the Empire. Island after island fell. The Guilds prepared to launch an attack on Jiran, a large island on the periphery of the Empire. The island, except for local security forces, was almost completely undefended. Tourists are still on the island when Admiral Ichan discovers the attack.

With the Imperial Fleet now regrouped, he prepares to meet the Guilds at Jiran. The ships set sail, days before Jiran is attacked. The citizens of Jiran now mobilize to prepare for the worst.

Shortly before the Guilds isolate Jiran, a ship full of Defenders, an elite group of mercenaries, fought its way into Jiran, at the request of the Emperor himself. Several Defenders were killed when their ship "Shield" took on two guilder ships. Now, they must organize the defense of Jiran while "Shield" is being repaired."

Character Bio.

Name: Jaydal Al'ar
Species: Gryphon
Special Powers: Air Magic (powerful enough to provide extra lift in flight and push small things at a low speed) and Truth Sense.
Counter Balance: He can only use Air Magic if he is going in a straight line. (Any maneuvering is whatever he is strong enough for.) While he is able to detect lies and truth, he can't tell which part of a half truth is true or vice versa.
Bio: He is not very trusting by nature, especially of other species. He knows basic scouting (finding directions, tracking, etc.) and also serves as messenger and sometimes as an attack auxillary. He joined the Defenders for the promise of adventure and money.
Last edited by Griffinkeeper on Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:05 am
Areida says...

I saw that you were advertising this somewhere else, and it looked interesting, but somewhat complicated and I didn't want to mess it up. LOL!

Sooo... maybe later I'll come up with something, but... I dunno.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

863 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:13 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Don't let the massive list of rules throw you off, it is just the structure.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:55 pm
Gazza_14 says...

I agree with the Arieda. The rules seem rather daunting, and I don't want to muck it up or my writing not quite meet the standard or something like that.
Why don't you start us off?
Make two characters? I already have someone in mind, but I want to see someone else try first. Yep, I'm a coward, :oops: lol
Stop. Look. Jive!

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:01 pm
Sureal says...

Those rules look pretty standard in the text RPG world. Personally, when I use to play, I liked the rules to be a little more rigid (you only have power over your own character - so you couldn't control NPC's in anyway, nor could you exaplain the area, only the GM - who doesn't have an actualy player - can do that).

I would join in, but I'm afraid RPG's no longer interesst me. I'd join, make a post or three and then get bored. I've already ruined a couple of RPG's by doing that... I have no intention of doing it again ;).
I wrote the above just for you.

798 Reviews

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:30 pm
Areida says...

Well, it's not the rules that bother me, it's that I'm not familiar with the world in which the game is played, so that's why I didn't make a character. I joined a Star Wars RPG one time because I think the characters used in the storylines of the movies are so cool, but the one I joined was all concentrated on different kinds of ships and weapons and stuff so I never did get much into it.
Got YWS?

- Dale Carnegie

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:30 pm
sabradan says...

Can I be a Jedi? Just kidding.

Character: Pirate Captain Jack McMannus
Species: Human
Special Abilities: expert seaman, very good swordsman
Counter ability: drunkard, bad shot with a gun

But if I can be a Jedi, that'd be even better..:D
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

863 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:29 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I've deleted the written rules. All rules are the unwritten RPG standard rules. Also, make sure to counter each power with a weakness.

I think we'll keep Jedi's out of it. Not that you couldn't do a good Jedi character, but they really don't belong in the time period.

This is a story under development, I encourage you to put your influence on the story.

One more thing Sabradan, is your pirate a Defender of Jiran (or temporarily alligned with them), or does he belong to the guilds?

I'd prefer it if we kept the storybook from the Defender's perspective. If we want to write about a conflict from both sides, I'll throw it in the Debate & Serious Discussion Forum ;). Although a roguishly handsome pirate would be an awesome addition to the defenders.

If anyone is interested in some character ideas, here are some ideas:

Local Politician: Deals with the Defenders and allied groups. Can be corrupted by the guilds, if you feel so inclined.

Tavern Boy: A complete noob who is drafted and taught everything under a very short period of time.

Soldier: One of the few garrison troops, who is charged with organizing a fighting force which was needed yesterday.

Gryphon: Whether it is dropping cannon balls into ships, sending messages, or quick thinking, you will certainly be in danger.

Mage (aka Wizard/Witch): You either cast spells or come up with unique inventions which might help the defenders. (No super spells).

Dragon or Dragonrider: You are one hot bugger. You are by far the most flamboyant thing in the air. Too bad everyone is aiming at you...

Hopefully this will jumpstart some imaginations...

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:36 am
sabradan says...

I think I'll be temporarily aligned with the defenders for the sake of all the booty I can reap from the guilds. :)
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

798 Reviews

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:54 am
Areida says...

Okay... I'll give it a try... LOL... I'm a sucker for RPing...

Name: Ivy Matilde Llywes
Species: Human
Height: 5'5"
Hair: Black ringlets
Eyes: Green
Special Powers: Clear-thinking in potentially dangerous situations, when others might panic. The ability to morph her face in the slightest degree imaginable, just enough to make her look either more masculine or more feminine.
Counter Balance: A fiery temper which causes her to say things which oftentimes get her in trouble. She cannot change her facial appearance when she wounded (i.e. not in her full physical capabilites) or when she is particulary furious.
Bio: Ivy was born to one of the richest families on the island of Dulmae, where she grew up feeling suffocated by the rules and protocals of proper society. When her home was raided by the guilds, she alone managed to escape, due to the fact that she was not in the manor when she was supposed to be. She found her way to a ship of Defenders, where she joined their ranks as Ivan, the scrawny but hard-working sailer. She keeps herself thin enough to tone down her feminine aspects. She also cuts her curly black hair unattractively, so it clings to her scalp, and trims her black lashes to make them look less feminine.
Ivy is determined to help the Defenders defeat the guilds to avenge her two younger sisters, whose fates she learned of shortly after escaping Dulmae. She trusts no one and has no friends.

How does that work? If it doesn't I can just kill it.
Last edited by Areida on Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got YWS?

- Dale Carnegie

863 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:09 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I like it. It does change some aspects of the original storyline, but this isn't a bad thing.

Originally, the Defenders were a little more rag-tag. If they've been around though and they aren't under the direct control of the Empire (which is currently deploying forces everywhere else) then it gives them an air of mercenaries.

This isn't a bad idea though. This could actually account for:
A) The diverse amount of people
B) The elite nature of their group

Now, I think there is a little re-write for the Defenders of Jiran.

"Before the Guilds closed the net around Jiran, a ship full of Defenders fought its way into Jiran, at the request of the Emperor himself. Several Defenders were killed when their ship "Shield" took on two guilder ships. Now, they must organize the defense of Jiran while "Shield" is being repaired."

Arieda, I think you didn't screw it up one bit!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:16 am
Griffinkeeper says...

By the way, Snoink just claimed the politician.

798 Reviews

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:17 am
Areida says...

Woo hoo!! Areida didn't mess it up!

So who's ship do I getta be on? *puppy eyes* I promise Ivy/Ivan won't screw anything up too badly. Maybe. *cackle*
Got YWS?

- Dale Carnegie

863 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:20 am
Griffinkeeper says...

1. I'm not even sure if Sabradan's character even has a ship.

2. Since Ivy is a member of the Defenders, and Sabradan is a pirate fighting against a common foe, she is probably on the Shield.

My first story post will follow.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:37 am
Griffinkeeper says...

~Jayden Al'ar~

I was in my normal position; the crows nest. I got jokes about that before, but this was no time for jokes. We were coming into harbor. The mast was still standing, all though several of the smaller ones had been shattered. This was from the battles, which had killed some of my shipmates, and wounded a few more. Their loss still hadn't set in yet. I refocused on the task at hand: watch for any obstacles.

"Captain, the area looks clear," I yelled down.
"Very good Mr. Al'ar. Go fetch the local doctor and the carpenter as fast as you can," the Captain ordered.
"I think I see them on the pier already sir," I replied. My eyesight was superior to any other of the crew, another reason why I was on the Crow's nest.

The ship swung slowly about as a sequence of orders and manuvers were performed quickly. I took flight and helped secure the sails. It wasn't my strong suit, but someone had to do it, especially with the loss of several good deckhands to injuries.

here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a treee called life; which grows higher than the soul can home or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
— e.e. cummings