z

Young Writers Society

Reign of Darkness (complete)

Who wants to be allowed to use violence and gore besides me?

You put it so... Badly... but I do!
64%
Are you crazy?! I joined because that wasn't an option! NO WAY!
7%
I don't really care.
29%

Total votes : 14

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:14 am
TexanWriter says...

LaReina, please. Please. Please. Go read Ol' Yeller, or watch that movie Sounder (really sad) or West Side Story or something. We've come this far, and I am not going to let this be forgotten!

Step 1: Kill Cadence. Must be done.
Step 2: "Wait, they're gone?"
Step 3: Ceeeeeeeeeeelabrations! (Do. Do. Do. Do. Do do do doooooo)
Step 4: Any last minute sub-plots? Goodbyes? Tears? Romance?
Step 5: Adios, amigos! So long, fare well, audviederzien goodbye! (can't spell in German)
Step 6: SEQUEL AND FRESH START WITH MORE PEOPLE WRITING!

Ya got that, everyone?

-Raven-
[Time - Before End Of Shadows]

We had all been fighting for ten hours straight. Okay, scratch, I was in the hospital for two of those hours (and only two, magically), but still. Everyone would have gladly collapsed in a heap and slept for a few weeks.

I glanced over to where Spencer was... I rubbed my eyes and looked again. He was kneeling over Cadence with a gun to her head.

He... he must have gone insane.

That was what I hoped. I hoped insanity or some other mental disorder was the cause of the only male on the entire planet that I cared what happened to trying to--

I hoped so.
Religion without science is lame; science without religion is blind.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

88 Reviews

Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:53 am
TexanWriter says...

I didn't want to have to do this until we were ALL finished, but I'm not waiting any longer.

.-*-~No one~-*-.

The screech pierced everyone's ears. It was like what you might think a banshee to sound like, or a swarm of bats, or both. The shadows we fought silently turned to ash at out feet as the sun peeked out from behind the dark clouds. We waited in stunned silence for a long time. Nothing was that easy.

A cry came up from one of the thousands of soldiers; a cheer. Soon everyone was cheering. We had won. Once and for all, we were done.

The Reign of Darkness was over.

-Raven-

No one noticed me as I crouched over my black-covered arm. I had tested our "win". The cut on my arm burned so badly I cursed. And I cursed for the truth. Whatever had happened, whether the shadows were gone or not, mine wasn't. I was still hosting a shadow in my body.

I hasn't known this was the cause of everything until my injury. The voices, the thoughts, the emotions... I had just figured I was doomed that way. But now that I knew what I was --a host to a parasite I could never shake-- I wanted to die. Just like I had wanted before the fight, I wanted it now.

Then I thought about Spencer. The life we might have. The promises he had made to me, so many weeks before. "And i don't care what the mirror said. I love you, and I always will, no matter what you say. I'm meant for you Raven. I've never felt this way about any other person...I love you, and always will. We will be together forever, no matter what you say." I had shunned him, hated him. How I regretted it. I hoped it wasn't too late. I hoped he would forgive me, maybe even love me again. I had to try again. I needed a second chance.

On my knees, I relaxed my facial muscles, closed my eyes and faced the sky. Something that I hadn't felt in years coursed through my veins; weakness. A normal weakness, the kind a normal human being would have. Tears formed on the brims of my eyes and streaked my cheeks. My life was chaos. I cried for no reason other than because I needed to.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:32 pm
Flux says...

Meh, you said I'd have to post tonight if I wanted to do anything. I doubt this will make anyone cry. Its not really that sad, sorry. I tried. And no worries Texan, I'm not sure how to spell it either. I know what you were trying to say, though!

Spencer~

In some black pit deep in his mind, some safe haven buried off from the sights, sounds, and feelings of reality, Spencer saw himself gripping a string. Just a simple stright, wrapped tight around his wrist and fingers. Her looked like he was holding the string taut, until finally, he forced the two edges away. As the string snapped in half, the new ends going limp, he noticed the frayed pieces that used to be joined at the center.

And as his eyes came back into focus, staring straight down into Cadence's green eyes, he knew at once that their life was the exact same way. Of all they'd gone through together.

Her eyes were such a piercing colour at that very moment, the green swimming like an island inside the poinsened white waters, blood shot and bulging. Her hair, once so smooth and blonde was stringy and blood stained, the black streaks only making her appear as evil as she looked.

Yet Spencer, his hand quivering against the knife which he was holding tight in his hands, could not bring himself to put her out of her misery. He'd broken his promises with her, his love. No longer were they two of a kind. And now he was to end her life.

Wounded and bloody, Spencer knew with his full heart and soul that she was tainted wit their blood. One looked in her once bright and clever eyes told him that Cadence had drifted far away from the healthy mental state she was in before, and was now swimming in her old mind, drowning in her own instincts. The instincts that told her not to kill, not to kill. But she looked so wild. The blood had tainted her, and now Spencer knew that if she wasn't put out of her misery, she'd spiral farther down until nothing of her was left except her body. No body could live without a soul, right?

Tears began to stream down his face. Cadence bounded up from her place on the ground, her nails curved like the talons of a bird's. Her jaw was set, though she bore her teeth. She growled at him, in a low voice, "What's wrong, wittle brother?"

Cadence wouldn't dare say such a thing to him, but as Spencer tried to steady himself on his feet, his knees weak, the ground rose up all around him. Spencer flipped into the air, and tumbled back down to earth. Cadence sped towards him, the earth poking out with each step she took. Her power was immense.

As Cadence gained on his, her face crazy and wild, longing to see his clean blood poor from his body, his heartbeat slowing, Spencer cried out, driving the knife he held through her body like a sword. His cry pierced the earth, heavy tears streaming down his bruised and charred face. The pain was indescribable. He tried hard to keep his grip steady, but it slipped from his hands, and Cadence stumbled back.

Her blood bubbled from her mouth, over her perfect lips, down her throat. The blood seeped from the place where the dagger protruded from her stomach. And a sad smile lit her face. No longer were her eyes masochistic and thirsty, but with a sense of serenity. "Thank you." She murmured, her voice hoarse as her knees buckled and she feel to them, a hand out, catching her from driving the dagger farther in.

Her silver-blonde hair stuck to her forhead with sweat. But Spencer's eyes -- blurry from the screen of fresh tears -- stared at what he'd done. Her blood wasn't black, but a dark red. The colour of an untainted soul.

What had he done?

Spencer hurried over to Cadence, holding her by the shoulder, sobbing out. He didn't understand what he was saying, but Cadence was the one to comfort him. "Don't worry. Shh, shh. I want this. This ... th-this ... I want to be with mum and dad ..."

"Don't go, don't go!" Spencer was crying out, pushing her head back, shaking her shoulders. But she was gone. Forever. Never again would he hear her sweet voice say his name again, or stand up to the authorities. Never again would she see her sweet smile. She was gone. Her whole body limp.

Spencer quivered, shaking uncontrollably. A solider came near, to help him away. They'd won -- they'd succeeded. But Spencer didn't care. He didn't care. His past, present, and future was gone. Cadence wasn't there anymore.

He resisted the soliders calm words and grasp, pushing him away violently, clutching tightly to his sister's limp, heavy body. He once remember trying to carry Cadence up the stairs to her bedroom after she'd fallen asleep on the couch. He feared that their parents would be mad. She was limp like this, her eyelashes closed lightly, a peaceful expression upon her cheek. If the dagger weren't poking out from her stomach, and she was clean as before, Spencer would swear that Cadence was only sleeping, and "wet-willy" her to wake her again.

But he buried his head on her shoulder, sobbing out. "What've I done ...?" He sobbed, his voice a high squeal. Spencer had worked so hard to keep himself composed, but he'd killed someone. His own sister. And he'd thought she'd been taken.

Spencer sat for some time, the sun fianlly poking out from the clouds. An orange-pink sunset reflected off the glass of the buildings. Cadence would've loved it. Spencer lay out her body, placing her arms on her as though she were sleeping, perfecting her hair. She looked like an angel, fallen to earth. He felt the slightest smile rise onto his face. She would've yelled at him for saying that -- or even thinking it. She was much too modest.

And for some time, Spencer cried, staring into the sunset, mumbling to Cadence's body as though she were still there. But he knew somewhere up there, tucked into the purplish clouds Cadence, his father and mother, watched him, answering back. And Spencer cried despite himself. He'd done it with his own two hands. He'd driven her to the edge. He'd mde her wnt to die.

And if he'd tried to deny it, he couldn't. He'd broken their ties, split them apart. And he felt like he'd been the one who died.

I just died in your arms tonight.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth."

-- Oscar Wilde

88 Reviews

Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:19 am
TexanWriter says...

Raven - 7:23AM, Day Two

I pulled on a black turtleneck shirt and gazed at the mirror. I hated how I looked without makeup and in plain clothes. It was always depressingly simple. But that was kind of the point, so I sighed and began putting my shoulder-length hair into a ponytail.

Most of the 100,000 survivors, give or take, were celebrating finally losing what had destroyed so many live in the past. And then there were the few, like the group, like me, like a few soldiers and scientists who had decided to remember the departed. Ballow, or Kronos. Cadence, that sweet, sweet girl, who had found times too hard for her to handle.

I didn’t care about celebrating or mourning. I didn’t give a flip about what I was doing at the moment. Nothing mattered at the moment, and I didn’t even have a reason.

Before I knew it, I had walked to the room where we were holding the funeral service. I touched the doorknob with my middle finger gently before grasping and turning it. The room was freezing from too much air conditioning, especially compared to the heat of the hall. I walked in and headed for the two coffins.

Ballow was the first one I noticed. His hair had been slicked back and his hands were folded neatly on his chest. His closed eyes still shone with mischievousness, the authority of growing up a businessman’s son. I gently touched his lips. They were ice cold.

I turned and walked over to Cadence. Her light blonde hair had been neatly brushed and put up in a bun. The white evening gown she wore glowed in the light. Her face was so peaceful, naturally beautiful. I smiled lightly. This was the happiest I had seen her in a long time.

Calla lily bouquets had been placed around. I reached over to a arrangement, picked one, and placed it on her chest.

“Rest in peace, Cadence. I’m sorry you had to go like this.”

I didn’t even listen to the rest of the service. Time meant nothing. And I still didn’t have a reason other than being shaken up.

-Kelly-5:12PM

“So,” I said slowly. “I guess this… this is goodbye?”

Gary nodded. “I want to know more about the shadows.”

“But they’re gone,” I protested.

“Do you think this is the first time they’ve been created?” He said. “It can’t be. I want to know more so they can be stopped sooner if they come again. Don’t worry, we’ll see each other again.”

I looked up into his eyes. He saw smiling, and gave a wink. I smiled back when I remembered he had precognition. He really does know. I took the locket I had worn since I was little from around my neck and handed it out to him.

“Whatever you do, don’t forget ‘bout me,” I said softly. “‘Kay?”

He laughed and pecked my cheek. Taking the locket and pulling it over his head, he said, “Promise.”

-Joseph-10:43PM-

A looming figure stood in the corner of the dim room. The window curtains blew gently in the wind that came from the open window. Hundreds of stars lit up the night sky and shone through the window. The door opened, and the light switch was flipped. Nothing happened. It was flipped up and down a few more times, but the lights still didn’t come one.

“Spooky,” said the girl who had just entered. She continued to go to the nightstand and take off her earrings in the dark.

“Julie,” said the figure in a gentle tone.

Julie jumped a bit and said, “Who are you?”

“I’m a man of my word. I promised you answers. Ask the questions.”

Julie paused for a moment, thinking. “Joseph?” She asked. “Is that you?”

“Ask the questions.”

She bit her lip. He had to hide his feelings. If it meant speaking in a monologue voice and language, who cared. She would never be his. No matter how much it hurt him, he had to accept it. Julie slowly asked about her family, whether they were still alive, if they could be saved. She chose her words carefully and received careful replies. Finally, she asked her last question.

“Why are you helping me? Why are you giving me these answers, when I was your enemy?”

He looked into the sky, trying to think. The moonlight gleamed on his face, making his dark eyes sparkle. Finally, Joseph sighed and stepped closer to the girl. He touched her shoulder with his left hand and ran his right through her soft brown hair. She was so beautiful. He had never seen anything more stunning. If only… He fixed the collar of his green polo shirt. An exact copy of the one she had helped to pick out for him.

“Julie, I love you.”

And with that, he kissed her on the lips. Stepping back, he headed for the open window and said only a single word before jumping out to land safely on the ground.

“Sorry.”

And so, the Reign of Darkness was truly over. The group had gone through so much together; Good times and bad, friendship and betrayal, birth and death. Every obstacle was mixed up into their journey, and together they worked through it. But now their journey is over, and they must depart. Some will stay friends, but others will become worst enemies. They will try to survive life, but life is the greatest challenge of all. We are only human. And so are they.

Fin

-Albert Einstein

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:31 am
JustDance says...

ha.
i remember this.
good times...good times[:

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:27 pm
Flux says...

I miss this ... :)
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth."

-- Oscar Wilde

Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon