z

Young Writers Society

Hours of darkness

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:38 am
robdog says...

okey here's the start of the story (at the moment i'm making a remake of it and it's alot better i'll send it in when it's finished... anyways enjoy)

Hours of darkness

I woke up in the middle of the night and saw that my bed cover was half off the bed which explained why I was so cold. I looked at the time on my alarm clock and it showed the red glowing digits of 1:37 in the morning so I was pretty much wrecked. My throat was as dry as a desert and I was really thirsty so I got up out of my half made bed and slowly walked to my bedroom door rubbing my eyes.

I walked down the old wooden staircase which made three loud ‘creak’ sounds by the time you reach the bottom floor. The old staircase had led to three different rooms which included mine, my sister’s and the bathroom but there were two bathrooms in the house, one on the second floor and one joined to my parents bedroom. The house we lived in was much more of a home than our other house because in our last house someone actually got murdered and it was really uncomfortable to go to sleep at night and then my parents finally agreed with me and my sister that we should move and then we moved here and ever since then I’ve got a decent amount of sleep that was until tonight.

I grabbed a washed drinking glass from the washed dishes and I stuck the glass under the tap. I twisted the knob to release the water and I waited until the glass was half full and I drank the water. As I drank it I could slightly taste the flavor of the dishwashing liquid which was used to wash the glass. I placed the cup in the sink and I walked towards the staircase only to notice a funny sort of smell. It kind of smelled like something dead so I tried to follow the smell just like a dog would if it smelt food but as I followed the smell I noticed it led to the laundry and the door was shut. I looked at the door handle and I slowly reached for it. I held the handle and I slowly opened it and I looked in the laundry and it was pitch black so I couldn’t see anything but I could slightly hear breathing by the sound of it so I turned the light on and I looked straight ahead and I saw big smashed hole in the window big enough for someone to fit through but the thing that spooked me the most was as soon as I turned the light on I swear I saw something jump out the window or maybe it was just a trick of the eyes? I studied the smash closer and noticed blood on some bits of window frame!

I ran to my parents’ bedroom and I knocked on their door hard over and over again until they answered. “What is it?” my dad yelled out as I was breathing really fast and my pulse was beating faster and faster the more I thought about it. “Someone’s tried to break in! They’ve smashed the laundry window!” I replied yelling as I waited for them to open their door and they did and my dad opened it and power walked to the laundry. I followed quickly only to notice a figure in the corner of my eyes up the top of the stairs. I looked to where I thought I saw something and I did! There was someone standing in front of my bedroom door! I looked carefully and I saw that their eyes were glowing red! It was really disturbing and a cold shiver ran up my spine as soon as I saw the glowing eyes. “Dad come here!” I yelled out as he walked up to me looking at me. “What’s wrong?” he asked me as he noticed me looking up at my bedroom but as soon as he looked the figure had disappeared all a sudden! It was really odd that I couldn’t explain. “What is it?” my dad repeated as I looked at his wondering eyes. “Nothing I thought I saw someone,” I replied thinking if what I saw was really there or was I just really tired or did it have a connection with the window smash? I didn’t even know and it seemed like all of this was a dream but it wasn’t. “Goodnight dad,” I said to him as I walked upstairs and he said ‘goodnight’ as well as he walked to his room. “Dad?” I got his attention as he looked at me waiting for me to tell him what I was going to say. “What was that smell in the laundry?” I asked him as he looked at me suspiciously. “I don’t know son just get some sleep,” he replied shutting his bedroom door. I looked into the darkness of the house then I walked into my room checking in every hiding place possible just incase what I thought I saw was really there but just as I thought I was seeing things. I jumped onto my half made and I tucked myself into bed and fell asleep in minutes.

I was standing on a bridge and I fell off into the ocean as I landed on rocks which smashed against my head as I fell and they had killed me! I opened my eyes to find myself in bed and that’s when I realized it was just a dream. I looked at the ceiling of the room as it was dark but light enough to see the old white paintjob done by the people before we lived here. I looked out my window and looked at the full moon. It was yellow in color and lit my room up a little. You know that feeling when you feel like you’re being watched? Well I had that feeling but this one made me startle because someone actually was staring at me. It was my mum and she was standing just outside my door outside my room. It was so dark that I could only see the bottom of her neck and below but I couldn’t see her face and she was just standing there facing towards me by the look of it. “Mum what are you doing?” I asked her as she took one small step forward and I still couldn’t see her face. Now I could see her chin and the rest of the body below but what I wanted to know was what was she doing? It was kind of creepy as she just stood there and that’s when I noticed blood smeared on her chin! “Mum?” I let out as her hidden dark face let out a color of red as her eyes glowed red like a red traffic light at night but this was much scarier! My eyes widened as she revealed her face and from her lips to her nose there was no skin but instead there was blood and gore which wasn’t a pretty sight. It was really disturbing and got worse when she opened her mouth slightly revealing sharp vampire like teeth which were red like blood. I watched as her eyes looked straight into mine like she wanted something desperately and I think I knew what it was… blood! I watched as my mum glided in the air towards me but I managed to duck under my blanket and roll off my bed and under the bed. I saw my mum’s bare feet walking to where the blanket fell so I crawled further under the bed and since my mum was looking for me near the blanket I could escape the room, shut the door, get my dad and finally get some answers on what was going on here. I quietly slid myself to the other side of the bed from which my mum was on and that’s when all a sudden her feet landed in front of my face like she had knew I was going out this way! I watched as her creepy gory face peeked out from the top of the bed. I jumped out of my skin and banged my head against the bed but I ignored the pain and I rolled over to the other side of the bed as her glowing red eyes followed my eyes everywhere I went which was really creepy. This had to be a dream. This wasn’t real was it? “Dad Help me!” I screamed out to see if he was alright but there was no reply and that probably meant he wasn’t okay either! My mum ran off out of my bedroom and out into the dark part of the house but I was glad that I was okay, for now!

I slowly got up from under the bed and I stood up looking towards the darkness out my bedroom door. I couldn’t see a thing and that vampire version of my mum was probably waiting for me to step out then… never mind I better think positive right now. I slammed my bedroom door and that’s when I heard footsteps but these footsteps were tapping against the ground really fast as if it was a leopard and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was after what I’ve seen. Then a loud bang on my bedroom door made me jump and whatever was out there kept banging on the door violently as I could hear loud breathing and small screaming in madness by the sound of it and I didn’t really want to annoy this thing after I saw what it looked like. I listened as the thing kept banging on the door and then it stopped and I just leaned against my bedroom door as my heartbeat was beating faster then ever before but it was slowly slowing down until it was my normal pace again.

I fell to my knees thinking what happened to actually consider that it was real and not a dream. But this event was disturbing and unrealistic I couldn’t even imagined it but it looks like it was real. I couldn’t believe this was happening and how did my mum become a… vampire was it? I don’t even know what that thing was but I know it was my mum and it looked like a vampire or maybe it was a zombie? I don’t know but whatever it was I didn’t think these sorts of things were even real. I thought it was just some made up urban legend but I guess I was wrong. I kept thinking of other possible explanations for this but there weren’t any and that’s when I heard a scream and glass smash! It sounded like Tara who screamed. Tara was my little sister and was seven years old and she always said she wished she was my age since I was seven years older than her because I was allowed to do more things than her.

I grabbed my baseball bat and I worked up my courage and opened my bedroom door and peered into the darkness of the house. I slowly walked into the darkness wiping my arm across the wall as I walked so I knew where I was going. I felt around the wall for the light switch and I switched it on which pretty much lit the whole house in my view up. I looked at the floor in front of Tara’s room and it had small drops of blood and when I walked up to her room I noticed the door had been ripped open by that thing by that thing by the look of it and it had be cause there was nothing else that could do that sort of thing.

I opened the half ripped open door to find my sister sitting cross legged on the floor crying. I ran up to her and sat down next to her. “Are you okay?” I asked her as she shook her head. “Something is wrong with mum… I could tell when she tucked me in that she was different… now monsters are inside her…” Tara replied as her crying big brown eyes looked at mine. “Mum’s going to be fine Tara… let’s go get dad!” I suggested as Tara and I got up and ran downstairs to my parents’ room. I opened the door and saw my dad fire a shotgun towards my head but the shot had just missed me and hit the wall behind me. I looked at the wall then at my dad as my eyes widened. I could hear Tara crying softly my dad looked at Tara than at me. “I thought… kids…” my dad let out hugging us both but seconds after he hugged us Tara stepped back staring into dad’s eyes scared. Dad and I both looked at her. “What’s wrong?” he asked her as she stared at him. “Ben he’s like mum he’s a monster too!” Tara let out as she looked at me as if she knew something and wasn’t gonna tell me unless dad wasn’t around. “How do you know?” I asked her wondering how someone her age would know about these things or was she also one of those monsters too. I didn’t know what to believe, I didn’t know who to trust and most of all I didn’t know what to do anymore!

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:52 pm
Maki-Chan says...

.........wow.... it is really long and I am scaried to read it... maybe you should star out shorter.^_^

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:39 pm
canislupis says...

yeah..... It was also a bit hard to read. If this was the literary forum, I'd poiont out that every single one of your paragraphs start with 'I'.... anyway, this looks interesting.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:45 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Judging from the writing style, I think you need to ask a mod (they have green name's) to move this to one of the fiction forums. Storybooks aren't actually stories, they're ORPG's. =P And if this is an ORPG...o_O You will scare people off with such a long novel like start.

PM me once you get it moved, and I'll be happy to give you a critique. :wink:

^_^ Keek!
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell