z

Young Writers Society

The Changed

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:46 am
Samantha Eliza says...

(Let me establish some rules first:
1. No godmoding, no Mary-Sue's or any perfect/invincible/beautiful characters. Make your character have at least one flaw! No one's perfect.
2. Please write at least two paragraphs every post.
3. No killing people without their permission.
4. Be creative and have fun!)

An epidemic has swept the world, killing 75% of the population. Those left are (mostly) between the ages of 12-21, although there are a few older people who have been put in charge. Our story is set in the ravaged city of Independence, where a group of adults called 'The Chosen' are in charge. Most of the people trust them and follow their orders without thinking. The Chosen, for the most part, are a good group and they try to run the city to the best of their ability. There are, however, two of the Chosen who are dedicated to exterminating the Changed.

The Changed are a teenager who caught the virus but didn't die from it and gained extraordinary powers because of it. Most of them are clairvoyant, but there are some who can read minds and very few who can do other things. Those who are clairvoyant can easily hide their powers, but those with other powers aren't so in control of them.

So, of course, you will be RPing the Changed. I think that a max of 5 characters would be good in this thread, because we don't want to make it too confusing or anything. Be aware, though, that when we begin this, they don't know that the Chosen are after them, so they've formed a camp on the outskirts of Independence. No one knows about the bad side of the Chosen... yet.

-

Character Sheet:

Name:
Physical Description (two to three detailed sentences, PLEASE.):
History: (How did they find out about their powers? How were they raised?)
Powers: (Please be aware that there is no invincibility/healing and that they don't have complete control over what they can do.)

-

Name: Faye Aston
Physical Description: Faye has long, auburn hair she always keeps in a plait and deep-set, blue eyes with a sprinkling of freckles over her nose and cheeks, which are remnant of the freckles she had when she was a kid. She's very tall, something she inherited from her towering father, and her slim, almost curve-less frame was the cause of most of her woes before the virus hit. She has a small, almost bird-like nose and tiny rosebud lips, along with heavy-lidded eyes and kind of wild, dark eyebrows.
History: Faye was raised in a very loving family until she was about 13 and her father died. After that, her mom had a new husband every few months and most of them weren't very nice to Faye. Faye kind of closed off after her father died, because they were very close, so she has a pretty hard time making friends after that. When the virus hit, she'd already run away from home and was staying with her best friend, Ivanna, but Ivanna was one of the few teenagers who died. She didn't know where to go after that, because this was before anyone made the connection between immunity and going through puberty, so she packed up her few belongings, stole camp equipment from the abandoned Wal-Mart, and started camping on the edge of the town, where it's bordered by a forest as old as time. She was mostly self-sufficient, and it wasn't difficult for her because she was used to being alone, and every once in a while she went into town scavenge for food. One day, while she was trading in the makeshift market that had been assembled in a popular shopping plaza, she heard of people called the Changed and how they congregated outside of the town.

It was around this time that she started to feel a little strange. She'd have frequent headaches and couldn't walk for days at a time, staying in her tent for longer and longer periods of time. One of her friends who she usually bought food and other necessities from came to visit her one day, because she hadn't been in town to see him and he found her sitting near the fire, looking disoriented. He asked her what was wrong and she shoved her hands into the flames, but she didn't get burned. That's when she found the Changed encampment, because she felt something calling to her from across the stream where she got her water. So she went.
Powers: She isn't affected by extreme temperatures (ie fire or frost).

(Once we have a few people, we'll start!
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:02 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Sounds cool. So we're mutants, more or less?

Name: Audra

Physical Description: She is a tall, slender girl with noticeable curves. Reddish blonde hair is kept in a horsetail, but she lets her bangs hang free. Blue-grey eyes often look cold and mysterious.

History: Audra was your average scholar in high school. In the advanced programs, in music and art, and had a lot of friends. She was a freelance athlete and tomboy, and she was pretty well known for her kindness AND temper. She was considered a part of the Punks and Emos, but she didn't care. They were cool, they had fun, they got in trouble occassionally, but what the hell?

After the epidemic, her parents died, as did some of her friends. Audra felt different, but she could care less why. At first, she assumed it was just her sorrow of the loss...Boy, was she wrong.

Powers: She has partial control over fire (partial due to her short temper), and can move much faster than most everyone else.
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:29 pm
Layleun says...

Name: Cassie Black

Physical Description: White skin but she tans easily when she stays out in the sun too long. Her large dark eyes match her hair. Stands at about five five; is sturdy but muscular. Has an oval shaped face with thin eyebrows, a small nose, and small lips.

Very similar to this: http://sweetmoon.deviantart.com/art/Umm-16526303

History: Cassie grew up with her mother, father, and two brothers. She's worked on a farm her whole life. Cassie's two brothers, her twin Tobias and her older brother Kyle, taught her how to work tractors and take care of the family farm. When Kyle was old enough her left home to take up a job in New York City, helping farmers regain land taken from them and getting back on track. Cassie and Tobias continued to help their parents with the farm.

Cassie was never a very strong girl but soon she began to be able to throw hay bales with her brother and wrestle to bulls into their pens. That's when the virus took her mother and father. Tobias was furious, his rebellious personality caused him to part with his sister and join the forces that were fighting the virus. Cassie was left alone to hunt and scavenge across the state to Independence. When she arrived she stayed with the group of survivors, hoping to find her brother someplace near.

Powers: Strength. A huge downside on her part, she can crush someones arm without even realizing she did it.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:37 pm
~Volant~ says...

Name: Alex Slinders
Physical Description: tall with olive colored skin and piercing green eyes. thick black hair and prefers loose tee-shirts and jeans.
History: Grew up in a big city, so he loves big crowds. HIs parents and two brothers were killed off by the virus, and he almost went insane living alone for a few months. At times he'd hear conversations, run over to look for the people, but never find them. He figured he just went crazy until he discovered he was over-hearing animals. He ran into an old friend who was living with the Changed, so he went back with him, eager to meet some actual people.
Powers: communications with animals
Where are we going?

25 Reviews

Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:17 am
Samantha Eliza says...

(Alright, people, so I'll begin. We're all at the Changed camp or coming there, am I correct?)

Faye felt strange as she hitched her pack higher on her back, peering through the trees. It was a different strange than before, though; it was like her insides were calling out for what stood ahead. She'd packed up all of her belongings into her bag, folding down her tent along with some of her left-over packets of food and her canteen of water, and set off into the woods. She knew her way around, mostly, because she sometimes ventured off when her mind was chaotic, but the pulling in her stomach was taking her away from anywhere she'd been before. It kind of frightened her, but she pressed it down. Fear should never hold you back, her father had always said, fear should make you trudge on and have no regrets.

She was weary by the time she heard familiar human noises; the crackle of fire, the gentle hum of speech, the the shuffling of feet against loose-packed earth. She picked her way through the trees, her feet finding the path almost without conscious thought, but she was careful. She still didn't know who these people were, even if she did have some inkling that they were like her, and she wasn't used to being around people much.

There was a fire blazing in what could be called the square, or, more accurately, the circle, because tents formed a ring around it. As she approached, she could see paths leading away to little pockets of privacy, where other tents were set up, some larger and smaller than hers. Some weren't even tents; they were crudely made shelters, more lean-tos than anything else. She went quietly, for darkness was coming and people were gathered all around the fire, listening intently to a bearded old man. He must've been telling a story, but his presence startled Faye. She hadn't seen anyone older than maybe, thirty since before the virus hit, and that had been something like a year ago. She stopped very close the huddle of people, propping herself up on the trunk of slim tree to listen, but his eyes suddenly found her. She must've been a least teen feet away from him, but she could see almost at once that he was blind, his pupils glazed over with a white film.

Everyone quieted and turned to look at her. The man stood up with the help of a cane and hobbled toward her. She tensed at so many eyes on her and her hand found the Swiss army knife she always kept in her pocket.

Then the man spoke: "Ah, Faye. I foresaw that you would come. Welcome to the camp of the Changed."
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:24 am
TNCowgirl says...

Name: Colt (Love that name)

Physical Description: http://zuowen.deviantart.com/art/savan-yin-52167617 , his eyes are a deep blue. And his skin is tanned, but everything else about the picture is right. His shoulders are broader though, and he is more muscular. He is very tall.

History: Your average teenage guy. He is a very sweet guy and loves to be with other people. His family died when he was little and he was put through foster home after foster home. He was adopted by a family that owned a ranch and he worked the cattle and trained and broke horses. He is accustomed to hard work and has never been afraid of it. His adopted family all died from the virus; mom, dad, and two little sisters who he was very protective of.

Powers: (He is strong for a human, because he worked on a ranch, kinda like your buff guy strong.) He can turn invisible, along with anything he wants to turn invisible with him will change turn invisible too.
Last edited by TNCowgirl on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

25 Reviews

Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:28 am
Samantha Eliza says...

(Hi, TNCowgirl! Thanks for joining, but I'm going to have to ask you to choose between him being strong and flying, because our characters aren't supposed to be superheroes or anything! I realize you don't have much time, but also, could you not use a picture solely for description? It seems kind of lazy, like you don't want to take the time to think up an actual person for yourself, and I can't really imagine how a picture of an anime-type drawing could ever translate to how a human being would look. Also, please flesh out your history a bit more when you have time. Thanks!)
-Dr. Seuss

110 Reviews

Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:58 am
TNCowgirl says...

Colt-

Colt watched everything happening from his perch up in a tree. He didn't make a sound, though he knew the old man knew he was there. He had glanced up at him at one point, everyone had passed it off as part of his story. Colt knew the man knew he was there and it sent chills down his back to know that. Colt watched as a girl walked in and the old man went and comfronted her. He listened carefully and saved her name and her face in his mind so he would be able to talk to her later. He had done that with everyone, making sure he knew their names so he wouldn't sound stupid if he had to talk to them or about them. He looked at his pack, no one would see it either, he had turned it and himself invisible. Something he had figured out he could do on his walk towards this place. He had smelled the fire from a ways off. Oh how many fires he had Pops had sat under, looking at the stars. His eyes glistened with tears from the memories and pushed them away. Everyone was dead, his little sisters and mom and pops.

' You should've known they wouldn't last. The annoying voice that had followed him around when he was a little boy was back. He ignored it, what had happened couldnt' have been stopped, and if it could've been he would kill whoever had been able to stop it and hadn't. They had taken away his family. His life, everything. He carefully climbed down to a lower branch bringing his pack with him and watching every move anyone of anything made.
Want a Readers crit???

25 Reviews

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:06 am
Samantha Eliza says...

Everyone was silent as they watched her, their eyes examining her in a way that made her feel uncomfortable. She readjusted the strap on her backpack nervously as the man spoke, not looking into his far-seeing, yet sightless eyes. "How do you know my name?" She blurted suspiciously, and regretted the hostile tone in her voice. She didn't want to make the man angry, no matter how harmless and old he may look.

But he just smiled and said, "Please, come with me."

She didn't want to, but she felt that strange compulsion, yet again, in her stomach as he turned away, walking towards the largest of the tents, one which looked like Native Americans had made it rather than some kid in a sweatshop. She swore she heard something moving behind her and she turned, her hand still in her pocket on the Swiss army knife, but there was no one there. Even the people in front of the fire had stopped watching her so carefully, going back to their conversations as if it were something normal for a girl to appear at the edge of their encampment.

The tent was small and warm, lined with animal fur and strange objects that she'd never seen before. She stood awkwardly at the entrance, holding the flap open with her hand, still sure that there was someone behind her but not wanting to look again, for fear of appearing foolish and suspicious. The old man gestured for her to sit and she did so, folding her legs under her.

"My name is Wish. I started this camp for the Changed," he told her, his creaky bones settling into the warm ground. "I suspect you have many questions?"

She shook her head, quickly. "I didn't mean to come here, even. But how do you know my name? Who are the Changed?"

And the old man laughed at her. "Haven't you noticed something strange about yourself lately? That you can do things you've never dreamed you could before?"

He explained to her about the virus and how it had given people powers. "Most are like me, and can see the future or read minds. But they can't control it, you see. I can barely control my own power, Faye, but I did see you."

She was stunned by the time she left the tent at his instruction, to set up her camp on the edge of the ring, right off of a path that looked like it went nowhere. Yet she still felt a presence behind her, and she turned around, the hairs on the back of her neck standing up. "Who's there?" She called, and felt foolish, because there was obviously no one standing there.
-Dr. Seuss

110 Reviews

Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:03 pm
TNCowgirl says...

Colt-

"Who's there?" The girl called out,

She smart, or suspiscous enough to know I'm here. He thought. He walked behind some trees as he became visible again. He stepped out and looked at the girl. Her hand stayed in her pocket, almost as if there was a weapon in it. He wouldn't be surprised, he had enough knives to make a person look like mush. He also had a small hand gun strapped to his chest under his thick jacket.

"Do you want help setting you tent up?" He asked, he shifted the weight of his own pack and looked at her waiting for her response. She was about two years younger then him, she was tall for a girl, but he still towered over her a little.
Want a Readers crit???

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:36 pm
Layleun says...

Cassie

Cassie heard the tree groan as her fist made contact with its trunk. The tree swayed and started to fall backwards towards her.

"Shoot." she said to herself and ran out of the way. The tree slowly fell down onto the ground, its new wood exposed at the break. She put her knuckle to her mouth, there wasn't much blood coming from her callused fist. Cassie laughed, she didn't know why but she was laughing. Something clicked in her mind.

"Come out Penny!" she yelled between chuckles.

A girl with blond curls stepped out from behind a tangle of vines. Her high pitched giggle made Cassie laugh even more. Cassie was attempting to be mad at her but her seven-year-old cuteness and her emotion manipulation didn't help her cause.

"I thought I'd come help you get more fire wood." Penny beamed.

Cassie smiled back, "You, young lady, are actually making me take longer."

Penny frowned, "I'm sorry." she perked up again, "We can sing on the way home!"

Cassie rolled her eyes, "You know I don't like to sing." A bubbly feeling started to spread from her heart.

Penny pouted, "But you sing so good!"

She grinned and went to the middle of the tree trunk. She carefully hauled it onto her shoulder, not wanting to send it flying. Cassie swung it around, not hitting Penny, and started to march toward the base. Penny started to sing in a clear soprano voice. The firewood song, Cassie thought, how appropriate.

Cassie got the hang of maneuvering the wood through the trees and started to sing,

"We chop and we haul
We break and we maul
High noon! Back through the wood
With axe in our hand
Shine bright off of the steel
Midnight! Back through the wood
To warm cabins
until morning breaks."

Cassie's alto broke off but Penny kept gleefully singing and skipping through the trees. They had made it to the clearing and Cassie didn't want anyone to hear her singing. Where she grew up, singing was only for special occasions and keeping yourself company while farming and working. It was rude to sing in front of people. Cassie shouted a warning that she was coming with a large tree.

Wish came out of his tent, "Welcome back Cassie. You can put the tree next to my tent."

Cassie nodded and set the tree down gently. She wiped off the dust off her clothes and saw that Wish had retreated into his tent. Cassie scanned the tents and walked into the middle by the fire. She chose a seat next to Penny. Penny smiled up at Cassie and spread a warm feeling through everyone around the fire.

25 Reviews

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:21 pm
Samantha Eliza says...

Faye's gaze swept around, but she could see no one. And then, as suddenly as she'd felt the person following her before, she saw him, stepping out from behind the tree. He was taller than her, which was strange, since she usually towered over most boys, with broad shoulders and skin that looked crisp brown in the firelight that emanated across the camp ground. "Do you want help setting your tent up?" He asked, and he was smiling. She wanted to say no, because she didn't need any help from some strange dude who just popped out of trees, but she nodded despite herself.

"Are you new here too?" She asked, snapping the knife closed in her pocket. These people seemed harmless, at least to her, but that didn't mean she didn't need to be on her guard. Last time she'd let down her guard the virus had come, and she still felt that maybe part of that was her fault. It didn't make any sense, because obviously she couldn't have caused an epidemic, but still. She'd never even gotten to see her mother again.

There was another girl who'd walked into the firelight, a huge silhouette of something way too large for her over her shoulder. She set it down next to Wish's tent and sat down by the fire, along with a tinier figure.
-Dr. Seuss

110 Reviews

Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:30 pm
TNCowgirl says...

**Ok, is this the type of SB that you can't talk other people's characters? I am fine with people talking mine, just as long as you don't get out of charater.**

Colt-

"Yup, just showed up." He smiled quickly popping her tent up. He would make a lean-to for himself and just wrap up. That way if they needed to leave fast all he had to do is get his bedding and leave. He wanted to talk to the old man. He seemed to know what was going on better then anyone else did. "I'm Colt." He offered sticking his hand out to the girl.

She seemed like someone he would want as a friend. Confident, yet not prideful. He had seen enough proud people in his life that he could usually site them right off the bat. He loved watching people's personality. He could usually see them before he meet the person, it was a skill he had picked up after meeting so many people in his life.
Want a Readers crit???

25 Reviews

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:21 am
Samantha Eliza says...

(Well, it kind of annoys me when people assume what my character would say, so I'd have to say yes, but if it's something really trivial, like your name or something, it's not a big deal.)

Faye thanked him after he helped her set up the tent. She wanted to throw her bag inside because it was still hurting her back, even after the heavy tent had been dislodged, but she still didn't feel comfortable around these people. She stuck out a hand, trying to be friendly because the boy seemed nice. He'd even helped her with her tent, which was something not even her friends would've done when she was younger. Then again, she hadn't really hung out with nice sort of people.

"I'm Faye," she said. "So, what's your special talent? Can you fly or something?" She was trying to be nice and play off the nervousness that she felt as they walked back towards the campfire, but inside her heart was shaking a little bit. It wasn't even fear of people liking her because she had much experience with people being rude, it was just that she didn't know what she was anymore. She didn't understand what was happening to her and how she could stick her hand inside flames without getting burned. She tried to overlap that fear with what her father had said, but he'd never been in any kind of situation like this, so she supposed maybe his sage advice wouldn't work now.
-Dr. Seuss

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:14 am
sylverdawn says...

*is it too late to join, if it is just ignore this post*

name- Kemono (Kee for short)
age- 17
gender- female
physical description- shoulder length silver hair , violet eyes with gold flecks. Wheres all black clothes, a sleeveless shirt, a red bandana and goggles on her head or around her neck. a gold ring with a bright blue gem.
history- she has amnesia all she remembers is her first name, and that she has a twin brother with the same ring as her. She's been wandering around the country since she can remember.
powers- can take on animal attributes. Like a falcons wings, or a dogs ears/hearing, or the cheetah's speed stuff like that. If her control was better she could shift fully. The power is keyed to her emotions, when shes embarrassed she gets a pair of wolf ears, when she's scared she gets wings, and when shes angry she gets a lions claws and reflexes.
-----------------
DANCE- Like no-one is watching
LOVE- Like you've never been hurt
SING- Like no-one is listening
LIVE- Like it's heaven on earth.

Please read and review my novel. The title is Fireborn. Here's the link.

novel.php?id=1157

*surprised scream* Aaaaah, NaNo!
— spottedpebble