z

Young Writers Society

Drey

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:27 pm
canislupis says...

Sorry for this rather LONG post, please try to bear with me. :D Have you read the warriors series? Its another one a bit like that, only its not bears, wolves or badgers. Its squirrels! :lol:

Rules:
>No Killing without permission!

>Please wait for ME to start this.

>No more than two characters per person without permission.

> This storybook MUST stay G or PG. NO EXCEPTIONS!

>Type your name, and rank within the colony (unless you are a loner) before each post.

Theme:
You have just joined a colony of red squirrels! They have a very strict pecking order, so please make this clear in your post. (I’ll post the different ranks down below) All of us have red, orange, reddish brown or dark grey backs, and usually white or grey undersides, and tufts on the tops of our ears. We all live in one colony, but it is divided up into different “families” which each have their own drey, or nest, made of leaves and branches. This is usually shared by a female, her kits, and possible her mate. The higher-ranking the family is the bigger drey it will have. Dominant animals are usually, (but not always) bigger and older than the subordinates. Mortality rates are very high, so I’m going to let each person have two characters (max) in case one of them dies. :D

Conflict: Humans have recently invaded their boreal territory, in search of deer to hunt. Humans are new to the squirrels, so at first they are just cautious. When the humans start to hunt other animals besides deer, and the squirrels are included, they approach a state of crisis.

Ranks:

Alpha Male (One per colony)

Alpha Female (Up to two per colony)

Beta Male (One)

Beta Female (One)

Subordinates (Unlimited, both genders, are submissive to the alphas and betas, but may form their own pecking order amongst themselves)

Kits (Up to six per nursing female)

Adolescents (Kind of like teenagers, this is when a squirrel would start foraging for food on its own)

Nursing mothers (have to care for their young)

Pecking order is shown by the position of the ears and tail. A dip of the head is required for a higher- ranking animal, plus a flattening of the ears and maybe even crouching down on a branch for an alpha. Giving gifts of food or bedding to one of the alphas is a good idea as well. :D

Profiles:
Name:
Physical appearance:
Colony: (Loner or from the colony)

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:44 pm
rimewind says...

Name: Halasar

Rank; Alpha male

Personality: Courageous, always absurdly cheerful, no matter the situation. (Perhaps due to mother's untimely death)

Description: See picture below.

Colony: The colony. :D
Attachments
me me me me me me me.jpg
me me me me me me me.jpg (3.32 KiB) Viewed 155 times

522 Reviews

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:18 pm
canislupis says...

Hehe, thanks for joining. I am aware that this is an extremely RANDOM thread, which is probably why no one else has joined. Oh well, I will probably post my character sometime today.

522 Reviews

Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:16 am
canislupis says...

urggh, it looks like nobody else is interested. Well, i guess it's just you and me!

Here's mine:

Name: Sanuya

Rank; beta female

Personality: Feisty and full of spunk. Most noticeable personality trait is her intelligence, which is unusually keen.

Appearance: Dark red back, brownish undersides. Longer tufst on top of ears than most, and lively green eyes. (Picture isn't very good, but here's the link: http://photobucket.com/mediadetail/?med ... geOffset=8 )

Colony: The colony.... :D

I'll wait a little longer for other people to join, then start it... This might be fun, if more people join....

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:08 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

This looks interesting, but I haven't RPed in a loooooong time and never as an animal. Couple questions before I commit:

1) Is this still hapenning? You want more people and I know a good story can be done with just 3 ppl (if they all work hard at it and like writting), but you said you'd wait and I'm the impatient type so 13 days seems like alot. =P

2) Could you explain the difference between the ranks? I get that subordinates obey beta's and alpha's...but the gap between each rank and the kind of relationships between them eludes me. Could a subordinate be friends with a beta? Are subordinates more like servants, or civilians?

If you can clear that up for me then I'm all for it. ^_^

522 Reviews

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:27 pm
canislupis says...

Great! I could conceivably start it with one more person :)...... it is still going, and here are the answers to your questions:

The alphas can be friendly to the subordinates, but if there is a certain spot on the branch, a good piece of food, etc, then the subordinates had better move over if they don't want to ge thteir ears boxed. :D As long as everyone respects their place, then there is no violence. Their hierarchy is a bit like that of a pack of wolves. Another indicator of status is a size of drey, and it would not be polite to make a huge nest if you are a subordinate.

Hope that clears it up a bit, other stuff I think we can make up as we go along. Just to make this other point clear:

Other animals, (hawks owls, weasels snakes and other predators) can not understand the talk of the squirrels, though they can communicate with each-other.

Hope to see you around!

Don't sit down and write because you're a writer; sit down and write because you have something to say. And if the sea of ideas isn't flowing, well, just tell me about your day.
— OrabellaAvenue