z

Young Writers Society

Laughing Stock

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:10 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Okay, first storybook I have ever done so if it's completely and utterly stupid and wrong, little mod elves, would you mind deleting it?

Okay, setting;

Set in a comedy bar and in New York City, around 2007 [this year passed] in the Winter time. Every two nights there is a "comedy-off" and a number of people would stand up on stage, and you know the rest. Stand-up.
I'm thinking that their can be insights into people's lives inbetween the comedy nights.

Okay, rules;

-One character per person. [One family if so created]

-No fantasy or anything; it doesn't fit in with the story as such.

-If your character leaves at any time - say divorce - try to follow that character for as long as possible, but if they do actually leave, you can create a new character.

- I'll start off first, I believe, after all the profiles of characters have been created. I'll give it a week, then start.

Profile - Savannah

- Age; 24
- Occupation; Club Owner
- Gender; Female
- Appearance; Tall, curved, sometimes wears thick rimmed glasses, straight red hair with green eyes.
- Personality; Fun-loving, mischievous, helpful.
- History; With a bunch of family problems and a nephew coming to visit, she hides behind her airy and happy personality to hide her unsteady and unsure self.

*Note: Again, mods and such, if you don't approve, please delete.*
Last edited by GingerLizzy on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:51 pm
Rydia says...

I think it's worth a try. Who said storybooks had to be serious?

Name= Adelle
Age= 21
Appearance= Dark brown hair, dark chocolate eyes, mildly tanned skin. Very exotic looking.
Personality= When on stage she is bright, cheery and absolutely hilarious. When she's not she's dark and gloomy.
History= Adelle has no home, she carried her tent and sleeping bag in a rucksack on her back. The only money she has is what she earns while performing and it's barely enough to get by.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:37 am
Loose says...

FINALLY! A not-fantasy storybook!

I must join!

Name-Peter B
Age-16
Occupation- Student and a part time burger flipper at McDonalds
Gender- Male
Appearance- Short mouse-grey hair, green eyes, freckles everywhere, short and thin, harry potteresque glasses.
Personality- Not popular at all but still contributes to every single conversation. Annoying. Computer geek. Not very smart but acts like it. MAAN this is sounding soo much like a boy at my school!
History-Since he isn't very popular, Peter spends a lot of time at home expressing his hatred of the world on Runescape and WoW. Sometimes, while he's brutally attacking his enemies, he thinks of dorky puns and jokes, and he is now convinced he can make it as a comedian. He comes from a well-off family.

(Wewt! Go Peter B!)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:09 am
Griffinkeeper says...

GingerLizzy, we don't censor literary works. So, just like there is no one wrong approach to writing a story, there is no wrong way to approach a storybook. In many ways, storybooks are much more experimental. So, even then, we don't delete storybooks, unless they get out of hand.

-Griffinkeeper
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

461 Reviews

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:31 am
GingerLizzy says...

Righty then, perhaps we could get some advertising for this wonderful story book thatis non-fantasy. Thanks for the comment Griffin, I just had to make sure that it wasn't truly wrong.

I'll give it till after Christmas now, I'm afraid as I have no Internet at home and have to work at school instead. Meanwhile, everyone tell your friends and hopefully it will all be ready for when I come back, will beeeee.... Uhhh... January 8th.

:)

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:33 am
RoryLegend says...

Name. Lyra
age. 20
occupation. Waitress at the comedy bar
Family. Parents and three older brothers all married with kids
appearance. Past shoulder length brown hair green eyes slender build and dresses in whatever she can find thats clean.
personality. Happy usually upbeat, loves animals, doesn't show her emmotions deep easily
Last edited by RoryLegend on Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
All you need is 20 seconds of insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.

-Benjamin Mee

461 Reviews

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:11 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Okay then, let's get this started shall we? Anyone who wanta to join afterwards, just post your little information profile ^^

The sound of the ringing telephone jerked Savannah awake, eyelids almost too heavy to lift. Grumbling curses and profanities, she reached for the bed side table and scrabbled around, hand finally touching the reciever.

"What?" She slurred sleepily, squinting into the darkness whilst running a hand through her unruly hair.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:51 pm
chocoholic says...

Name: Carly
Apperance: Tall, spotless skin, thin, muscly, blue eyes, blonde hair
Histry: A high-school drop-put, Carly has been dancing since she was 3. Her parents are divorced and she lives with a bunch of friends in a share-house. Her first big dancing job was a back-up dancer for Beyonce, and has then gone on to dance with many other major artists. She has dreams of making it big as a performer.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

160 Reviews

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:02 am
Loose says...

"No, no, die you stupid boar! Hell yeah! That's right! What? When did you get a friend? Well, it's ok, I can kill him with my baton!"

It was five in the morning, and Peter B had been awake all night playing World of Warcraft. It wasn't out of the ordinary; he had once played it for 45 hours without sleep, until he passed out on the keyboard. He didn't have anything better to do with his time.

"Damn straight! Who's your daddy?! That's right, I am! You bore a resemblance to me, so we must be related," Peter B's girly giggle rung through the room. "Damn, I am funny!"

Turning his attention back to his game, he noticed a message from the member ibeatulongtime3. It was his cousin who lived in California, IMing him.

"Hey maaaaaan," he said. "Sup?"

Peter B typed back: "Not much. Just chillin' on WoW."

"Hell cool,"

"Yeah, I know. O-M-G man, I said the funniest thing just now,"

"What was it?"

"I killed a boar and I said 'Who's your daddy? I am! You BOAR a resemblance to me!"

ibeatulongtime3 gave a sympathy "Lol", trying to avoid saying what he really wanted to say; "O-M-G, Peter B, you are such a loser, shut up!"

But then the best idea came to Peter B's Californian cousin.

"Hey man," he typed. "You should do stand up comedy."

"You think?" Peter B typed back.

"Yeah, Dude! You'd be awesome! Are there any comedy clubs or w/e near you?"

"Uh... I don't know. I'll check in the paper."

With that, Peter B raced off to follow his new dream of becoming a comedian.

Ibeatulongtime3 blocked him.

516 Reviews

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:20 am
View Likes
chocoholic says...

Carly

Carly sat down against the wall and grabbed her bottle of water, drinking in between heavy breaths.

"You okay?" one of the other girls asked.

Carly nodded. "Yeah, just tired. Are you guys going to the J-Lo auditions tomorrow?"

The group of girls nodded, before the class was called back.

After class, as Carly was heading to the train station, one of her friends, Savannah, called Carly.

"Hey girl," Carly said. "What's up?"
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

160 Reviews

Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:32 am
Loose says...

Peter B walked back to the computer desk as he read the classifieds in the local newspaper through his thick reading glasses.

When he sat at the chair, he found what he had been looking for:

"Comedy Club Comedy-off held every two nights."

"Yeah," he typed to his cousin. "Dude, I found my chance."

The screen beeped, and Peter B looked up, only to read the message "ibeatulongtime3 has blocked you".

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:51 am
RoryLegend says...

lyra-

I was unhappy to say the least. i had to work.. on a saturday! I got myself ready slowly. It was noon but i still wasn't fully awake. i am one of those night owl people. Some day I am getting out of that stupid comedy club. i thought to myself begining to day dream about a future of doing whatever i wanted to do. KNow i just had to figure out what i wanted to do.
All you need is 20 seconds of insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.

-Benjamin Mee

461 Reviews

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:39 am
GingerLizzy says...

After the recent phone call from her sister, Savannah finally dragged herself from bed and sat at the edge, cursing the mid-day sunlight and wiping the dreams from her eyes.

Glancing at the clock, she growled a yawn and stretched her arms to the heavens above, hearing a couple of vertbrae crack into place as she rose to her feet. With a late night comedy club in the running, she had no time for sleep and often went whole days without ever resting her eyes.

"Slept in again, eh?" she murmured to the small black cat that was now winding its way around her legs, purring softly in hopes of being fed.

She had so much to do today, and the club was opening early tonight - she had a feeling something was going to go wrong. To the rhythmic melody of Jules Holland and Squeeze, she dressed herself and peered into her lifeless reflection. Her red hair was not so vibrant as in her youth and there were small bags under her eyes from lack of sleep. She felt twenty years older than her twenty four.

Tipping the remnants of a box of cat biscuits into a bowl, she set in on the floor, running a hand through the cat's soft fur as he crunched slowly throuh his late breakfast.

"See you later, Mr Jefferson."

After a quick spritz of perfume and a touch of make-up to give her colour, she slammed the front door behind her and set off into the city.

516 Reviews

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:21 pm
chocoholic says...

Carly made a quick stop at the house she shared with a bunch of friends before paying a visit to Savannah's Comedy Club, where she worked as a waitress part time, for when the money was low.

Upon opening the door, Carly came face-to-face with her friend, who was just on her way out

"Hey Sav."

Savannah nodded, yawning.

"Yeah, hey Carly. Listen, I need the tables and bar all wiped down. I'll be back... sometime. You handle anything around here."

Carly nodded and Savannah walked out. Grabbing a cloth, Carly began to complete her duties.

461 Reviews

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:40 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Upon leaving Carly, Savannah headed to the smoothie store, sitting down at rubbing at her tired eyes, wondering if she'd even start her peach and banana smoothie, so early in her screwed up morning.

She was running out of acts for the club and if she didn't find one soon, she'd be disappointing her dwlindling custom once more. The agency wasn't help, and her get up and go had got up and gone.

Grumbling miserably to herself, she slurped her smoothie, then turned up her nose as set to listening to her iPod.

Overripe sushi, The master Is full of regret.
— Buson