z

Young Writers Society

The Treaty of Ten Systems: Preparations

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:33 am
Ego says...

"The war is over. Decades of death, destruction, war--over. I still remember the first battle with the Quevarians, now extinct...all those years ago. In the vast blackness that is space, the passing of time means nothing. Every planet has its own rotation, its own revolution. A day on Earth is not on a planet elsewhere, and a year on Earth may be less than a day on a particularly slow rotating planet. In the greater plan of the universe, none of it matters. But a second is still a second, and a moment a moment--and it is what we do in these moments, be we Homo sapien or Quevarian, organic or android, that make life worth living.

And still time passes. Wars are still fought. Men still die. There will always be conflict. Man against man, man against alien, or man against nature--there will always be battle. The difference between a battle fought justly and a battle wrought of ignorance is the reason for which you fight. If you fight to defend your wives, your children, your way of life, you fight a just war.

The war is over. But another is on the horizon. We have conquered our differences--at the cost of an entire race of people--and we are united under one flag. The council has been formed. Every enlightened race (whatever that means) that desires peace between our species is represented.

...Let's hope this lasts. For all our sakes."

--Rear Admiral Andrew Kahrmov, Earth Alliance Naval Corps.

--------------------------------------

The Premise: Ten sentient races of the universe have finally settled their differences after decades of war between them. To commemorate this union, the United Systems Alliance (:P) has designed and built a ship using all of their knowledge and technology. The crew of this ship is inter-species, the first of its kind. Our cast of characters is the crew of this ship. think Star Trek, but more gritty: More armor and weapons, less spandex and sparkly lasers.

The Setting: Deep Space, alien worlds, uncharted planets--the works.

The Plot: Undecided. To be built around and with the help of the authors and characters of the storybook.

The Characters: Each and every person serving aboard the ship is first and foremost a soldier. Therefore, they are all effective in combat, be in ground or space combat. Since there are more than a dozen races on board the ship, everyone who wants to will be able to create a race of their design. If you do not wish to create a race, you may be a human, or you may wait until the character races are posted to make your character.

NOTE: All characters and races are to be PMed to me for approval and editing. I have the final word when it comes to races,to if you want to save yourself some trouble...make them believable and balanced, with a complete biography and history.

NOTE #2: When you make a character, please make TWO profiles for them. The first is a complete profile--everything included, like personal history, any secrets they might have, childhood experiences, etc. The whole nine yards. The second is a military profile. It is limited to the military experiences your character has had, none of the personal stuff. You may include a psych evaluation if you like. The complete profile is a "master" profile. Only myself (the storybook leader) and you (the writer) will see it. The second is the profile you will post for everyone to see, once it has been approved. If you need help making any part of the profile, LET ME KNOW. :)

Rules: These are important.

1)No team-killing: If an active character is going to die, make sure it is thoroughly discussed between both parties involved.

NOTE: If you don't hold up your end of the posting agreement (see below), you'll be killed off.

2)On Writing Style: This is a Storybook RPG, so players may write in any style they please. First person, third person omniscient, it's all dependent on your personal preference.

3)On God-Moding:

God Moding is vague. Here are the rules for it.

-- Other authors may control another author's character as long as it keeps the character IN CHARACTER. For extra help, communicate with the author of the character being god-moded first.

-- Authors have every right to determine what is in or out of character for their character. As such, any action they feel is wrong for the character can be vetoed within a few days of the post.

-- This isn't a turn-based RPG, it is a real-time RPG. That means that you aren't obligated to stop and wait for the author to reply to your character. This way, we don't wait three days for a response.

4) Out of character discussion is to be carried out in the Discussion Thread for this Storybook, titled "ToTS Discussion Thread"

5) I reserve the right to edit any post to add a timestamp or modify content as needed in order to retain the continuity of characters and plot.

VERY IMPORTANT:

By sending a PM to me with a character enclosed, you are agreeing to the following conditions:

--I agree to dedicate time and effort to this storybook, and notify Hunter immediately if that is to change.
--All executive decisions of the storybook will be ultimately decided by Hunter.
--Post at least three times a week, at least one of which must be in the story thread, the remaining two may be made in discussion.
--While every post need not be plot deciding or life changing, every post I make must be grammatically correct, with correct punctuation and minimal typos.
--Every post must be significant in some way--be it character development, character interaction, or just plain action. Basically--put effort into each and every post you do. Don't half-ass it just because you need to post. Personally I would prefer you did not post at all than post some three line post with one line of dialog. Work with one of the other authors to come up with a post if you're having trouble with dialog. Come up with a scene.
--Help your fellow authors if asked. We're a team now.

All that said...get those characters in.

If you have any questions, ask them here. When you've sent in a character, say so here, but do NOT post the character here. If you are PLANNING on creating a character and getting involved, PLEASE post here, so I know. Keep this thread at the top off the list, people--I'm trying to make this the most ambitious storybook yet, with the best talent, the best dedication, and the best leadership (;)) YWS can offer.

We won't actually be starting the writing for this until January, so you have plenty of time to get your characters in.

HOWEVER: If you want to create a race, please get it to me within the next WEEK, so the people who are not creating races have time to pick one.
Last edited by Ego on Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:44 am
Fand says...

Profile submitted!

^_^

*Waits impatiently for January.*
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:54 am
PenguinAttack says...

I shall submit my profile as soon as can be.

I can't wait. ^^
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:57 am
Teague says...

Working on my profile!

Er... yeah. *realises she has way too much detail* xD
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:04 am
Fand says...

:lol:

With Dono, there's no such thing as too much detail. ^_^
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:04 am
TNCowgirl says...

I'm in, I am sending you my profile.........NOW!!!!!
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:01 am
Alteran says...

I'll send mine soon, I should have a spare second soon.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:59 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Expect mine this weekend.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:37 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

I'm going to work on creating a race...
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:58 am
seeminglymeaningless says...

Wow - sounds like heaps of fun!

Writing my profile now. Here's hoping I'm accepted! - jai

PS - Janurary? Geez. . . *laughs* That's like, ages away.
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:13 pm
Charlie II says...

Hmm, I dunno if there's gonna be enough people to fill the amount of races that we're devising. But, I've already planned so much already. We might need to do some recruiting between now and January.

Plus, I love the contract that's written it at the top :P. Real smooth, Dono!

Yours,
Charlie
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:25 am
piepiemann22 says...

I'm so in. I may just create a race, but we'll see. I'll post again when i get the profile done. Three days tops.

~Pie out
I will always fight back, no matter what.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:15 am
Jennafina says...

I'd like to join! Expect my character soon.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:43 pm
Kylan says...

I would really enjoy being apart of this, but most of my time and creative juices are being consumed by my novel project. It would be brilliant, Hunter, if you hosted one of these again in, say, two or three months. I know this experimental, but I can already tell it will be a hit.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:34 pm
Rydia says...

I'll send you my race profile either later tonight or tomorrow morning, just tweaking a few little bits so expect it soon.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

more fish is always superior to less fish
— Shady