z

Young Writers Society

The Magicians' Guild

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:45 am
Maybe says...

In this storybook, there are humans and a few other races (will post farther down). You can be a magician, novice, or slum dweller. I will explain what these are in time. This storybook takes place in the world of Kyralia, where many evils, big and small, spring up almost every day so it seems. There is little to no technology in this world. There is only one magicians' guild, and that is in the city of Imardin. The guild consists of many buildings; the university, the healers quarters, the magician's quarters, the novices quarters, the arena, the gardens, the baths, the stables, and the high lord's quarters. Please, one character per person. You can have a familiar if you are either a magician or a novice.

Magicians: Magicians are the experienced magic users of the realm. There are different kinds of magicians, some good, some bad. Each magician wears a specific color robe, designating which class they belong to. I will post the robe colors and their meanings farther down. The high lord is the strongest magician in the guild. You cannot claim that character.

Novices: Apprentice magicians, not fully skilled in the magical arts. Usually novices come from the houses (royal families) but some come from the slums. They practice in the class of magic that appeals to them most, and they go on to be magicians after four years of study under the instruction of the magicians. Novices are not allowed to practice magic unless supervised by a magician.

Slum Dweller: The beggars. They live in the slums (the dirtiest part of the city) and almost all hate the magicians. Some slum dwellers are magicians themselves, they have just yet to discover their powers. The slum dwellers are basically led by a group called the 'Thieves', who are as their name suggests, thieves. The Thieves are a secretive group and no not allow people to join them unless they somehow prove themselves first. This usually involves murder, stealing something very hard to get, or something like that. Not all slum dwellers are thieves, however, and not all hate magicians.

Robes

Red: Warrior. Practice war magic and also practice sword fighting. Practice in the arena. They are the only magicians able/allowed to carry weapons. (You can carry a staff and one dagger if you are any color, but swords are reserved to red robes only.)
Blue: Alchemy. Practice making potions and infusing things with magic. They are always trying something new, be it from trying to put a picture in your mind onto a piece of paper without picking up any sort of writing supply to improve medicines. Some Alchemists can practice healing along with Alchemy, but this is rare.
Green: Healer. Practice the healing arts and sometimes a bit of alchemy to make salves and potions to cure sicknesses and stop pain. Healers usually live and work in the healers quarters, just in case an emergency happens in the middle of the night.
Brown: Novice. Novices wear brown robes, marking them 'unchosen'. They gain colored robes after four years of study.
Black: Necromancy. Practice the art of necromancy, which include raising the dead, killing people, sapping strength and life from a person, and many more foul deeds. Necromancy is usually not admitted unless the novice shows supreme skills in the area. Only three necromancers live in the guild (Arakin, the high lord, and one other). Necromancy is sometimes referred as 'black magic'.

Races

Humans: Humans are like they are today. Some are royals, while some are slum dwellers.
Krillians: Similar to humans. Typically have very pale skin and black hair. Were usually taller than humans and were almost always very thin.
Elyne: Slightly red tinted skin and were shorter than humans. Usually a stocky race who kept to themselves. (Think tall dwarves.)
Lonmar: Dark skinned and the tallest of the races. The males were usually bald. Were usually very strong with darker eyes. Not a very trusting race and loved to travel.
Vindo: The shortest of the races. Usually only slightly smaller than the Elyne's with dark skin that sometimes had a slight yellow or red cast to it. Very strong and suspicious. Keep to themselves, mostly.

Name: Arikan
Race: Krillian
Robes: Black (Necromancer)
Appearance: Tall and pale with dark blue eyes, almost black. Has white hair (very odd to his race, whose hair is almost always black) and a narrow face.
Picture: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25020976/ and http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/21893212/
Personality: Very sarcastic and ambitious. Keeps to himself most of the time and is very stubborn and nosy. Does not like people too much and normally evades going into town unless its urgent. Loves to flaunt his skill in front of the novices, just because he likes to hear them gasp in shock and fear. He doesnt talk much, but when he does people usually pay attention.
History: Arikan was born in Imardin, where he grew up. He was accepted by the guild when his magic suddenly burst forth, nearly killing him. This has left him with a few horrible scars and his bitter, cynical attitude. He has no close friends but simply drifts. His only companion is his familiar.

Familiar
Name: Rask
Race: Black Panther
Appearance: Pitch black fur with a few dark gray spots on his head. His eyes are a dark blue, but not as dark as Arakin's. He is a little bit smaller than a Labrador.
Picture: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/169 ... _scale%3A5
and http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/700 ... _scale%3A5
Personality (He can communicate with Magicians using mind reading): He is just as bitter as Arakin, one reason they are friends. He is very intelligent and can understand everything that is passed from one magician to another. He loves to spy and is basically Arakin's ears. He does not talk to novices but will occasionally communicate with other magicians. He can solve riddles and can come up with the most original taunts and pranks. He is very mischievous.

*Let me start this off before anyone else posts (Unless you are simply posting your profile.)*
Last edited by Maybe on Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

116 Reviews

Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:21 am
Maybe says...

The story...

Arakin and Rask walked the deserted grounds of the guild, reveling in the darkness. Neither could really be seen in the shadows of night and they were silent as they walked through the huge gardens, which seemed more like a forest. Willows lowered their branches and the leaves rustled as they swayed in the wind. Oaks stood tall and proud, stretching their branches towards the heavens.

Rask padded on silent paws next to Arakin, keeping his dark blue eyes on the path in front of him. Arakin's head was bowed in thought, his wispy white hair falling around his narrow face. He scowled and looked over at Rask.

Whats the matter? Rask asked, sending Arakin a mental question.

"I have to attend a hearing tomorrow, about that girl. Didn't you hear about that?" Arakin said aloud. Rask shook his head as they continued on, following the twisting and turning path that seemed to go on and on.

"The gang of youths, the ones who usually attack us in the streets, had a new member among them. A young slum girl, of about seventeen or eighteen. While Lord Yarask and his partner were patrolling the streets, she threw a rock at Lord Yarak's shield and it penetrated somehow. Hit him in the temple and knocked him out. The girl looked just about as stunned as Lord Yarask did. She ran and Lord Yarask's partner lost her in the crowds. High Lord Kanask has called for a hearing to see what we should do about her. If she really did use magic, then she must be found before she loses control. If she does lose control, hundreds of lives will be lost, including hers. I wonder what High Lord Kanask will want to do about this. According to him her magic is very strong, so we have no more than a few weeks before she will completely lose control. All i know for sure is that this is going to be one hell of a chase." Arakin said, smiling. Rask gave a low purr which was a panther's equivalent to a laugh.

So what do you think High Lord Kanask will do about it? Send out all the magicians in the guild to go through the slums and find one girl out of thousands? Rask asked, purring again.

"Who knows with the High Lord. But, no, i don't think it will come to that. The High Lord is very powerful, and will probably find some easier way to find her. But, if it does come to crawling around in the slums disguised as a meager slum dweller, i will not take part in it. If it involves a good chase and a bit of magic used, count me in." Arakin said, chuckling slightly.

You can count me in, too. I need a good chase. My paws are getting too soft. Rask said, lifting his right front paw disdainfully. Arakin laughed softly as they continued on through the gardens, bowing his head in thought again. They proceeded like this for a few minutes.

Suddenly, Arakin's head snapped up and he glanced at Rask. The panther stared back, each feeling a prickling feeling creep across their spines. It was faint now, but undoubtly it would get strongger as they grew nearer...

I think we have our solution on how to find the girl. Rask said

"Aye." Arakin agreed. "We follow her magic."

*Ok, so there you go. If any of this seemed confusing, feel free to PM me and i shall explain. Also, i took most of this from a book, modified it so it wasnt completely the book, and made it a Story Book. So if you've read the book 'The Magicians' Guild' by Trudi Canavan, good for you. You'll see where i'm trying to go with this.*
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

169 Reviews

Reviews: 169
Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:32 am
Lethero says...

Name:Ferskos
Race:Krillian
Robes:Red
Appearance:Muscular body and carries a sword at his hip and claymore on his back.
Personality:Not easily broken, can take any insult, will fight to the death, and very experianced at swordsmanships and Magic.

Familiar
Name:Perisona
Race:White Wolf
Appearance: Snow white fur and deep blue eyes.
Personality:Can talk in the human language, but usually only talks in the presence of Ferskos. An excellant fighter and a vetran of many wars.
Last edited by Lethero on Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly, Fight, Win . . . in Air, Space, and Cyberspace.
-Air Force Mission Statement-

Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence In All We Do
~Air Force Core Values~

*Lethero*

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:46 am
Rydia says...

Why does that book sound so familiar? I have a feeling that I read it when I was younger...

Name= Melody
Race= Human
Age= 17
Status= Slum Dweller
Appearance= Melody has long, chestnut hair and deep, green eyes. She is of average height but slim and agile.
History= Life hasn't been easy for Melody but she has a strong spirit and her hatred for everyone who is not a slum dweller keeps her fighting.

Melody

I dashed through the streets, slipping through gaps in the crowds until I spotted Barkus ahead. With a quick glance back, I assured myself that I had lost the man and finally slowed to a stroll.

"What happened back there?" Barkus demanded, pulling me down a side alley.

"I don't know," I replied honestly.

"The stone went straight through his shield!" Barkus exclaimed. "Wow, Mel, you've got some talent."

"But it isn't a good talent is it?" I demanded bitterly.

"Are you kidding? We can get them with their own tricks. Come on, let's go talk to the boss," Barkus urged and reluctantly I followed him.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:41 pm
Saphira says...

Is this based on the Black MAgician trilogy by Traudi CAnavan?

It sounds good and i will post my profile soon!
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

116 Reviews

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:28 pm
Maybe says...

*Yes Saphira, this is based on book one (I havent quite finished the series yet) so if you've read them then you'll know where i'm hoping to go with this.*

Arakin and Rask walked calmly back into the magicians guild, heading for their rooms. Arakin sent a small wave of anger at the fireplace and it instantly lit up with a roaring flame. Rask curled up on a chair and Arakin took the one opposite. Although it was well into the night, neither Arakin or Rask wanted to sleep.

Do you think all the magicians felt her using magic? Rask asked.

"I highly doubt it. Most likely we were some of the only ones. But, i have no doubt that High Lord Kanask felt it." Arakin said.

They sat in silence for almost an hour before Rask got up and padded into the bedroom. He glanced back at Arakin before disappearing behind the door. Arakin yawned and got up too. He absently rubbed his right shoulder where one of his numerous scars lay. He walked into the bedroom behind Rask and lay down in bed. Moments later he fell into a restless sleep.

The next morning Arakin woke and went back into the sitting area where him and Rask had been last night. Rask was sitting in the same chair, looking at Arakin with amused eyes.

Good morning. You look like you slept well. Rask commented, purring.

Arakin cast Rask a glance that would have made anyone else cower and whimper in fear, but Rask only purred louder and hoped off the chair. Right as his paws touched down a knock sounded on the door. Arakin scowled and got up again, walking over to the door. He unlocked the door with a snap of is fingers and opened it.

"Lord Ferskos, what do i owe the honor of your company?" Arakin said mockingly.

169 Reviews

Reviews: 169
Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:48 pm
Lethero says...

"You felt her magic too," I said.

"You did too," Arakin replied. "I thought I was the only one."

"I'm stronger than you thing. Just because I'm a warrior-mage doesn't mean I don't use a lot of magic. So, what do you think we should do?"
Fly, Fight, Win . . . in Air, Space, and Cyberspace.
-Air Force Mission Statement-

Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence In All We Do
~Air Force Core Values~

*Lethero*

116 Reviews

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:11 pm
Maybe says...

*By the way, when you are addressing a magician, you usually address them by their title unless you're alone and friends. Magicians are Lords and Ladies, the high lord is 'High Lord' and novices are just their names.*

Arakin glanced at Lord Ferskos and moved out of the doorway to allow him into his quarters. The red robe stepped in and took a seat in one of the chairs. Arakin took his seat and Rask sat next to his chair and watched Lord Ferskos with intense eyes.

"I don't think we should do anything until after the hearing today. We will see what High Lord Kanask wants to do about it and proceed from there. But, during the hearing we need to announce that we felt her using magic." Arakin said.

"Why not tell High Lord Kanask now? I'm sure he would want to know." Lord Ferskos said.

"Because now is not the time." Arakin said slyly. His wispy white hair fell around his shoulders and his dark blue eyes bore a hole through the red robe. Lord Ferskos shivered involuntarily.

"Fine. What do you think High Lord will do about it, Lord Arakin?" Lord Ferskos asked.

Arakin rolled his eyes. "Who knows with him. He could send all of us magicians to go crawling around the slums searching for her or he could simply send you and me to root her out. Who knows."

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:59 pm
EmiSukotto16 says...

Name: Tamora
Race: Human
Robes: Blue
Appearance: Long, curly, golden-blonde hair usually pulled back into a half-bun, light-tan skin, sapphire-blue eyes
Personality: fun-loving, easy-going, serious at time, leaderly
History: Tamora was born and raised in Imardin and was accepted by the guild when she showed signs of powerful alchemy skills

Familiar
Name: Sarin
Race: no one knows what species he is, but he is closely related to the osprey
Appearance: he is the color of a raven with crystal blue eyes, he is fairly large standing at 3 feet tall and has a wingspan of 6 feet
Personality: alert and wise, is usually quiet and rarely talks to anyone besides Tamora
Llama 1:"Shh! Do you hear that? That's the sound of forgiveness."
Llama 2:"That's the sound of people drowning, Carl!"
Llama 1:"That is what forgiveness sounds like; screaming and then silence."

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:13 pm
Poltergiest says...

Uh... Don't necesarily want to jion or anything but have read the first two books and... I thought the High LOrd's name was Akkiran. Not Arakin. Just thought somebody should check that out...

~Pol
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:18 pm
Kylan says...

Name: Maverhov Patch

Race: Human

Appearance: Longish black hair/ pointed gaunt face/ sharp gray eyes

History: Maverhov is the leader of the slum dwellers' "Thieves" resistance group. Da boss, in other words. He is powerful in the underworld, has many connections, and a formidable reputation of his own. Maverhov's family was killed in a wizarding war and he has vowed to bring them down, one way or another.

Personality: Maverhov is intelligent, cunning, a loner, brooding, dark, harsh at times, and enjoys all things anti-wizard. He despises most other races, but secretly holds a special place in his heart for the Krillians.

Weaponry: Maverhov weilds a modified meat cleaver. It is his trademark weapon but he will only use it on wizard-kind. Maverhov also employs throwing knives in fights and battles.
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

116 Reviews

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:01 am
Maybe says...

*Yes Pol, in the books the high lords name WAS Akkarin, but like i said, i modified the storybook.* *I will let someone else post. If you need help with anything PM me.*

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:07 am
piepiemann22 says...

You have a lot of people already, do you have room for one more?
I will always fight back, no matter what.

116 Reviews

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:30 am
Maybe says...

sure thing. anyone can join, no matter how far into it it is! The more the merrier!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:16 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Melody

"But Barkus, he hates magicians," I protested.

"Yeah but you're not a magician. You're one of us," Barkus reminded me as we reached the entrance to the boss' hideout. Two thieves stood sentry outside and Barkus pushed me forward.

"Melody needs to see the boss. It's urgent," Barkus insisted, flashing a small ring that proved he was a member of the Thieves. I pulled out my own ring and turned it so that they could see the fancy 'M' ingrained on the side.

"I will announce your presence," The first sentry decided.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

You are going to love some of your characters because they are you, or some facet of you, and you are going to hate some characters for the same reason.
— Anne Lamott