z

Young Writers Society

The Runners

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:06 am
Griffinkeeper says...

The Runners are a special group of people with incredible powers: stopping time, the ability to move through through various dimensions at will, superior speed and agility to anything that moves. They have been given the freedom to move as an imagination.

There is one catch. If the runner physically attacks anyone, even if he is defending himself, then he loses his powers and returns to reality: the life of a human.

They do not fight, so they run. That is why they are called runners.

Some Rules

1. Due to the space-time continuum, it is only possible to freeze time for a very short period (say, five seconds?) and reversing it is impossible. Freezing time also requires some concentration, so stopping time during a chase is near impossible. Also, since you are freezing time, you are also freezing space, so a runner will not be able to move anything or anyone while time is frozen. Runners can move, because they are imaginations.

2. No killing other people's characters.

3. The story is set in modern times. Mythical creatures (elves, vampires, dwarves, gryphons, etc.) are only present within imaginations.

Some Suggestions

1. If you can, watch the movie "Paprika". The idea for runners was inspired from the title character.

2. Have fun with your characters. Remember: Fun Stories=Fun Characters.

3. If you have questions, go ahead and contact me.

4. Let your imagination run wild, because that's what's going to be going on in the story.

5. You earn more points if you have long posts.

6. Not all characters have to be runners. In fact, having a new runner would be a good way to show off how different they really are.

7. Remember that Runners can't directly physically attack people, but there are other ways to attack someone.
Last edited by Griffinkeeper on Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:05 pm
Layleun says...

Sweetness. This sounds interesting. I'll join.

Name: Kyla

Power: Runner

Personality: Is always the one who gets into trouble. She usually stays at the middle of the pack, isn't the big-shot-save-the-day-every-time girl, she comes in when she's needed and moves back when she isn't.

Description: Olive skin, short sandy blonde hair, tan and gold eyes, tallish but sturdy. Usually wears loose jeans and tank tops.
Last edited by Layleun on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:21 pm
Bella says...

This seems pretty neat! I have a question before I start though. Can regular people see the runners?
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:44 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

writer_chick_13 wrote:This seems pretty neat! I have a question before I start though. Can regular people see the runners?

Yes, but normal people often don't notice them, unless they look pretty/handsome.

Power: Has control over her DNA. Basically she can shift specific parts of it to make herself change appearance, health, and other things.

First, I'd like it if you wouldn't give your characters extra powers. The idea is that humans have been given these powers, without them they are completely normal.

If you want your character to be able to change her appearance, may I suggest that your character use disguises? Your character would be able to change appearance much faster and without any of the drawbacks of messing around with DNA.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:21 pm
Via says...

And what are their duties? Like...what exactly are they supposed to restore?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:34 pm
Charlie II says...

I have a few questions too:
~ Do Runners automatically recognise each other because they are all part of the same mission?
~ Also, are all the Runners all part of the same mission?

But anyway, I've got a profile that'll need a check:

Name: Maximilian Montague

Power: Human, no special powers.

Personality: A secretive private investigator. Trusts no-one and, as a result, has a distinct lack of friends. He is obsessed with conspiracy theories and is a regular user of an internet forum that discusses such issues. A devout Christian but is even beginning to question that too. He once witnessed what he thought to be a miracle, but is beginning to doubt its authenticity and is starting to believe it was part of a government secret project.

Description: A tall man who prefers to hide away from the world. Rarely leaves his house during the day but when he does, he keeps a wide-brimmed hat on and long coat. (Think old-style detective :D) He never leaves home without his notebook and at least three pencils. He has brown eyes that seem to glance over everything and take nothing in, but it’s exactly the opposite. He also has an almost photographic memory.

DarkLight
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:03 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

write me wrote:And what are their duties? Like...what exactly are they supposed to restore?

~ Do Runners automatically recognize each other because they are all part of the same mission?
~ Also, are all the Runners all part of the same mission?

These are good questions.

I've been thinking of the Runners as if they were forum moderators, without authority. It would be similar to Nate giving a bunch of people mod powers and letting them loose.

They have no defined mission (except perhaps: "Don't get caught"). In depends a lot on the Runner. Some will be benevolent, others will be sympathetic, still others may pull cruel pranks on the unsuspecting.

Even though they don't have any clear "duties" that doesn't mean they don't have missions.

Runners recognize each other, either because they have worked with the others, heard of the others, or seen them do their own stuff. In addition, there is a care free countenance to Runners which separates them from normal people.

As for their current mission... I'm open to suggestions on that.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:56 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Name: Lance

Power: Runner.

Personality: Very playful. When he is running, he is very flashy. He has no problem with his power and enjoys taunting his pursuers. He is respectful of most people.

Description: Brown hair, medium build, not all that remarkable.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:40 pm
View Likes
Layleun says...

Oops I read the thing wrong. i thought it said you 're supposed to choose a power and those were examples...that's what I get when I skim. I'll change it.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:53 pm
Rydia says...

Interesting...

Name= Carla
Gender= Female
Age= 26
Hair= Silvery blonde
Eyes= A watery blue and she is blind
Complexion= Quite pale
Race= Runner. Am I allowed a blind runner? If not, she's human
Personality= Carla is the sort of person who you expect to be distant, thoughtful and absent minded but on the contrary, she is sharp, witty and very down to Earth. Her hearing is very good and she has learned to find her way around without sight.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:05 pm
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

If you want. If you change your mind, just say so.

As I have mentioned before, this storybook was based off a recent movie known as "Paprika." It is from Paprika that I have gotten the idea of Runners.

Here is a link to a two minute video. It is the beginning credits to the movie and it may give you guys a clearer idea of what a runner is and how they work.

A post should follow this one.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:07 am
Bella says...

Name ~ Delilah
Gender~female
Age~ 22
Appearance~ pale skin, long black hair, silvery blue eyes.
race~human (No powers to speak of)
personality~ adventurous and has a lot of fun

Is it ok if my character knows about the Runners because of her very good friend Lance? Are the runners allowed to tell other people about the powers? Also, are they born with the powers, or do they just kinda show up?
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:57 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Bear with me, I don't have all the answers for runners. This idea is still very flexible. Maybe she can become a runner later?

There are no restrictions to who the Runners can tell. Some will want to maintain a lower profile. Fortunately, Lance isn't one of those types.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:02 am
Alteran says...

Name - Berello

Gender - male

Age - 29

Appearance - nothing special, not fat, but not really skinny. No muscle tone. Brown hair, blue eyes.

Race - Human (Has some Psychic abilities Still not fully aware of them though)

Personality - Cautious and patient. Willing to go the extra mile to do a good job.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:05 pm
Kylan says...

I'll join and see where this goes...

Name: Terry

Appearance: Shortish, runners-build type muscle tone, cropped black hair, dark blue eyes. A ladies man.

Power: Runner

Personality: Despite being a runner, Terry has a darker personality than his counterparts. He remembers life before being endowed with special powers and dwells on it. Terry made some mistakes. He was apart of an underground terrorist operation in London. His intentions were good; the PM was not fit for leadership, but Terry killed a lot of people in the process. The terrorist cell was eventually rooted out and Terry was put on death row. On death row, however, in prison, Terry repented and became a runner to try and make the world a better place. He is brooding, quiet, determined, intelligent, powerful, and rarely forms bonds with other runners. He is in this because he feels obligated to help God. Not for the thrill of power.
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

#longlivebigbrother
— alliyah