z

Young Writers Society

JIN Character Discussion Thread

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:18 am
Jiggity says...

Cyrus is a traveller, an explorer and his main reason for going on this quest was to satusfy his wanderer lust -- although lol that sounds a little bad, but you know what I mean. He feels as if he's seen everything, been everywhere and done everything -- that will change during the course of this story. He is even considering ending his 100 year exile from his home prematurely.

He's an allround good guy really, although he has a problem with self-proclaimed "heroes" and pompous humans. There's very little subtlety to him, he's very direct and brusk to the point of rudeness. If it came right down to it -- at the moment -- in a fight, he'd look out for himself only. He has formed no bonds with any of the characters so far, but if and when he does, his loyalty will be unmatchable. Oh and he loves his mule fiercely. treat Daisy well and you'll earn his goodwill, if not his respect.

The growth part ... I'm not going to plan out, but allow to happen naturally. It's not going to happen at once, it might take a long time, and even then I cant promise its going to be a huge thing.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:31 pm
sabradan says...

Valin Norovir is an odd mix. He is the Heir to the throne of the elves, and his father was murdered when he was merely an infant, and his mother as well. He was wisked away to the house of his uncle, a slightly lesser noble to raise him, and teach him the ways of his ancestors. This was done VERY well.
In many ways, he is the iconic Tolkein/LOTR/Warhammer Elf.

He is a very proud, somewhat aloof being, very intuned with nature, almost on par with most basic rangers without any formal training--its just part of being an elf. He also has the inate abilities of nightvision and basic elemental magic manipulation--nothing fancy, only very basic innate magic from genetics.

He is also the "black sheep" among elves because he is neutral. He does what is necessary to accomplish his goals. He is not evil, nor necessarily selfish, he just doesn't go out of his way to follow the law. The ends justify the means in his eyes. Further, rather than just having skills as a fighter and ranger, he has wholly embraced the "rogue" arts--assassination, poisons, theivery, "sneaking around in the shadows" and as such, has a much more "rough around the edges" appearance than most Elves, however this is more out of necessity than choice. He has always kept and maintained his elven heritage, thats why his "simple" robes and tunics are still of fine linen and rather intricate designs.

He has no real reason to go on this quest as it stands. What I am looking for somehow through this storybook is to give him a chance to destroy those behind killing his father, and raising a fellowship (as we have) and/or an army to destroy them and regain his birthright and restore the fading Elven Kingdoms to all their former glory, unite them under one banner (his) and restore the Elven Kingdoms to their former glory.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:26 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Alden is an orphaned gryphon, who is unsure of his origins. He was raised by humans nobles, who made an effort to bring him up as good gryphons are. In some respects they were successful, but in most he is under par, particularly in heritage.

There are two ways to advance, from past heritage or from accomplishments. So Alden is an adventurer, he hopes his accomplishments will propel him to glory.

The only thing left from his parents is the jewel he wears. It was given to him by the human couple, but he doesn't know how they came across it.

He's constantly making new friends, there are very few rangers around that don't know him.

He's hoping to gain more accomplishments from this adventure. He's going to grow from knowledge that will come out throughout the story.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:37 pm
Fand says...

Finn (Fionnabhair Chant) is a guide and scout from the Blackwode Mountains, and has little to do with other people beyond her family (whom she can dominate, most of the time) and her customers. She has no real respect for rules other than those imposed by nature, as she's never really been subjected to them. Her intrapersonal relations could probably do with some improvement, as well. ;)

She's joining with this group due to a growing case of wanderlust; she wants to see what she calls the Wide World, and she wants to see it now. Hopefully, she'll learn how to work with others and perhaps get a bit of humility knocked into her on the way.
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:19 pm
Ego says...

Full name: Carmenia (Car-mean-yuh) Virsetil

Birthplace: She doesn't remember.

Race: Elf

Occupation: Jack-of-all-trades (though she's better at others than some)

Class type: ? (A little help here please!)

Appearance: Tall and slender, inky black, bewitching eyes framed with long black eyelashes. Has long, thigh-length hair that changes colors according to her emotions (kind of like a mood ring ), here are the colors it changes according to her emotions.

Black: Tense, nervous, harassed, overworked, beaten.
Amber: Nervous, emotions mixed, unsettled.
Brown: Average reading. Active, not under great stress.
Blue-green: Emotionally charged, somewhat relaxed.
Blue: Relaxed, at ease, calm.
Dark blue/Purple: Happy, romantic, passionate.

Personality: Mysterious, often unconsiously attracts men, has to put up walls to avoid getting into a serious relationship, quiet yet will speak up if someone is doing something completely wrong, has a kind heart that is often hidden so not to reveal weakness.

Abilities:
-Excellent with a bow and arrow
-Agile with quick reflexes
-Good horseriding skills
-Can fix a satisfying meal
-Climbs tree's very quickly (Umm...yyeaahhh...)

Weaknesses:
-Slightly distrustful
-Must be clean (but is not really a sissy about it)
-She sometimes finds herself unknowingly flirting
-She is clumsy with the sword
-Her beauty (often makes men do things out of character)

Clothing: Wears green shirt and brown pants that become her figure, leather boots (with dagger inside ), and when cold a brown jacket.

Spells: She can create the weather.

Weapons:
-Bow and arrow
-Dagger

Brief history: Does not know who her parents were, got lost in the woods when she was six and had to survive on her own until she stumbled upon strange group of travelers who brought her back to the caves where they lived and she lived with them until she was almost fully grown.

Alignment: ? (I don't know what this means! She does sit up straight. )

My thoughts:

I'm not diggin the hair color changing thing--it doesnt fit in with the definition of elves that we've come to use.

Everything else looks good to me, and I tihnk the character would be a great addtion, especially in the stark contrast she has to Finn.

The other thing that might be a little too powerful for the low-magic setting is the Weather Control. You could counter balance that by saying that she might mess up the weather because of the unpredictable nature of the magic weave at the moment.

Thoughts?
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

Random avatar

Reviews: 82
Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:33 pm
misspriss says...

Oh ok! Do you think eyes that change color to her emotions would be cool? If not, I'll just ditch the whole color changing thing. :)
About the weather power...I will change that...do you have any suggestions as to a different power that would be her level? I thought about maybe being able to control animals (except Ursa, of course!), do you think thats too much power? Thanks!

EDIT: Oh-oh! I just had an idea...what do you think about being able to warp wood? You know...like being able to bend small tree's into a shelter, ect. Just small tree's of course, not giant oakes or anything...what do you think?

EDIT: EDIT: Hmm...if you decide you don't like that idea...how about just certien weather...like...rain...or something...

EDIT: EDIT: EDIT: ohhh! (I know I'm posting like mad...but I just have a lot of differant thoughts that come at random times. :D ) Anyway, I like the whole sometimes messing up the weather...that's cool. Do you like any of my other idea's better, or do you have some of your own you'd like to share? Oh, and I also like the contrast with Carmenia and Finn. Finn's awesome though, in her own little weird speech way. :)

[Please don't quadruple post! Thanks! | Snoink]
[To Snoink: Thanks--I couldn't delete those posts...]
Last edited by misspriss on Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

381 Reviews

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:10 pm
Fand says...

*cough* You know, you can edit any more suggestions into the original post by clicking the "EDIT" button up in the top right corner of the post.

Aside from that, I think that the wood-working deal is pretty cool; it might play better into the current setting of low-level magic.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:36 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Messing with weather is a pretty advanced magic, which would be difficult due to the current state of arcane magic.

Commanding trees would be something an elf would be able to do, since they deal with trees a lot.

The only real area of concern I have is the character weaknesses:

-Slightly distrustful
-Must be clean (but is not really a sissy about it)
-She sometimes finds herself unknowingly flirting
-She is clumsy with the sword
-Her beauty (often makes men do things out of character)

These weaknesses are very mild. None of them seem like a fatal flaw. For fatal flaws, you generally see strong behavior, not mild behavior.

I mean, how would her flirting and beauty contribute to her downfall?

How would not being able to wield a sword affect a person that uses a bow and arrow?

The first two flaws could be intensified. Instead of being mildly distrustful (cautious), why not make her very distrustful (paranoid).

Instead of having her not be bothered by dirt, why not have it bother her a lot more?

When it comes to character weaknesses, it should be something that impairs a character on a regular basis.

Consider this statement:

"Among Alden's flaws is that he is a bad ballroom dancer."

Is this really going to impair him? The answer is probably not.

So, you might consider working on the weaknesses of your character in addition to the strengths of your character.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Random avatar

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:42 pm
misspriss says...

Thank you so much for the feedback! The part about Alden not being a good ballroom dancer made me laugh. I'll just have to think about the weakness part...do you have any suggestions as to what might be one of her weaknesses?

Oh and Fand,

I DO know that. :-) But thank you for pointing it out, I just didn't want to take the time, I guess.

Her power is to Wood Warping (warping sounds better than bending--or does it?) Does that sound good to you?

What do you guys think about her hair or her eyes changing colors according to her mood? Do you like it or should I ditch it?

Random avatar

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:49 pm
misspriss says...

Hey Guys, I found this...but I didn't know what some of them meant...can you help me out? Of course I knew what some of them meant...I'm not that dumb.

Elf Spell List
by Michael Wallace

First Level

Charm Person (MU 1)
Detect Magic (MU 1)
Light (MU 1)
Locate (Druid 1)
Predict Weather (Druid 1)
Read Languages (MU 1)
Read Magic (MU 1)

Second Level

Continual Light (MU 2)
Detect Evil (MU 2)
Entangle (MU 2)
ESP (MU 2)
Locate Object (MU 2)
Obscure (Druid 2)
Warp Wood (Druid 2)

Third Level

Clairvoyance (MU 3)
Create Air (MU 3)
Dispel Magic (MU 3)
Hold Animal (Druid 3)
Hold Person (MU 3)
Protection from Poison (Druid 3)
Water Breathing (MU 3)

Fourth Level

Charm Monster (MU 4)
Confusion (MU 4)
Growth of Plants (MU 4)
Hallucinatory Terrain (MU 4)
Massmorph (MU 4)
Plant Door (Druid 4)
Summon Animals (Druid 4)

Fifth Level

Anti-plant Shell (Druid 5)
Conjure Elemental (MU 5)
Contact Outer Plane (MU 5)
Feeblemind (MU 5)
Hold Monster (MU 5)
Pass Plant (Druid 5)
Woodform (MU 5)

Do you see any that are really cool that are on a low level?
Last edited by misspriss on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

381 Reviews

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:51 pm
Fand says...

*cough* EDIT BUTTON *cough* ;) And I have no idea.

Random avatar

Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:06 pm
misspriss says...

Alright everyone, here is the fully edited version of my characters profile. If you see anything you have a problem with, please tell me.

Full name: Carmenia (Car-mean-yuh) Virsetil

Birthplace: She doesn't remember.

Race: Elf

Occupation: Jack-of-all-trades (though she's better at some than others)

Class type: Rogue

Appearance:
-Tall and slender
-Emerald green, bewitching eyes framed with long black eyelashes
-Has long, black, thigh-length hair that she lets fall in waves down her back
-Almost ivory complexion

Personality:
-Mysterious,
-Often unconsiously attracts men
-Puts up walls to avoid getting into a serious relationships
-Quiet yet will speak up if someone is doing something completely wrong
-Has a kind heart that is often hidden so not to reveal weakness

Abilities:
-Excellent with a bow and arrow
-Agile with quick reflexes
-Good horseriding skills
-Can fix a satisfying meal
-Climbs tree's very quickly

Clothing:
-Gold elvish earrings (with an emerald in the center of each)
-Green elvish womans shirt
-Green elvish straight leg pants
-Brown elvish leather boots
-Brown elvish cloth pack

Spells: She can warp and shape wood.

Weapons:
-Bow and arrow
-Dagger

Brief history:
-Does not know who her parents were, got lost in the woods when she was six and had to survive on her own until she stumbled upon strange group of travelers who brought her back to the caves where they lived. She lived with them until she was almost fully grown.

Alignment: Neutral Good
Last edited by misspriss on Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:06 pm
Ego says...

Miss--

Class: There are four basic classes...Magic User, Priest, Warrior, or Rogue. Choose one ;)

Alignment: Good, Evil, or neutral, with subset law, chaos or neutral.

Hence, you could be lawful evil, IE you follow the law but you are ultimately self serving and cruel, or chaotic good, where you may be kind and generous, but willing to go against the law if necessary (Robin Hood style).
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

Random avatar

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:49 pm
misspriss says...

Sabradan...in your post you said a "dark-skinned elf" when really Carmenia is light-skinned (ivory). It's okay. :-) But, would you mind fixing it?

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:29 pm
sabradan says...

Oh whoops. Sure.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
— W. Somerset Maugham