z

Young Writers Society

Journey Into the North Discussion Thread (Old 4T thread)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:51 am
Griffinkeeper says...

The storybook kind of died, either from bad writing, the closing of YWS, or a combination of the two.

So, here's the task ahead of us.

1. Figure out what the story was in the first place.
2. Figure out what plotlines aren't productive.
3. Figure out who's still interested in continuing.
4. If we should continue the storybook from where we left off.
5. If we should create a new storybook.
Last edited by Griffinkeeper on Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:32 am
Ego says...

I really, really liked our characters from the first story--they were different enough to cause conflict between one another, but flexible enough to work together--it really was a great cast. We just need some strong writers to back us up.

Ideas for recruitment, if ncessary:
--Jack
--Ares, formerly MetalHead
--Snoink
--Duskglimmer

More that strong writers, we need active, dedicated members that will help it run.

As for your points.

1) Four strangers are brought together by a common enemy.
2) Unnecessary, counter-productive characters.
3) Myself, Grif, and Sab, so far. Three of four is good enough for me. Jack has also shown interest in participating.
4) Personally, I think a fresh start would be better than trying to get right back into it.
5) I'm all for a new storybook thread.

Whadaya say?
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:33 am
Griffinkeeper says...

1. You got in Phoenix.
2. I think that many of the characters really didn't have much of an attachment to the group.
3. Grif, Sab, and Phoenix, anyone else?
4. I think that where we were before didn't have much future to it.
5. A new storybook would be best.

Here's my reasoning.

A) New people wouldn't need to start from the beginning and read forever. This expands our range of talent.
B) I'm not sure about you guys, but there are something I'd like to change about my character.
C) A new start would give us all a new chance to work together.

Something I should emphasize though:

The original Four Treasures was special, you had the right authors, with the right characters, and things clicked most of the time.

As fun as it was then, it doesn't mean that this new one will be the same. In fact, it will definitely be different.

The original concept of four people coming together was a good concept initially, but the problem is that it didn't allow for incorporation. New members couldn't become as involved in it.

The new storybook should have a story line that encourages new people to join, and allows for people to join in, without having to have read the entire story.

And I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea what the storybook will be like.

This is how Four Treasures was initially conceived though. We started with profiles and the plot rose from them.

So, there isn't going to be another Four Treasures, this would automatically be compared with the old one, which would be unfair all around.

So I suppose the next move is to create the storybook. I'll go ahead and create it momentarily.

Hunter, with regards to recruitment, you can send them a PM inviting them to join.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:36 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I had a character before...?

In any case, I would like to be a feminine girl. Yep. We need some of those. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:37 am
sabradan says...

I liked everything in the old one, until Dynamo ruined it. Can I keep good ol' trusty Valin?
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:07 am
Griffinkeeper says...

It's your call.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:55 pm
Firestarter says...

I would definitely be interested in joining.

Is "Fantasy Adventure Storybook RPG" the new Four Treasures then?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

147 Reviews

Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:36 pm
sabradan says...

yes.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:29 pm
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

I'm definitely interested in participating actively in this.
Life's a B*tch, slap it upside the head.

Dargquon Ql'deleodna: (n) "Dar-qu-on Kel-del-ode-na" something i made up that sounded cool, partially based off of the Drow Drizzt Do'Urden's name style

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:48 am
Firestarter says...

I've tried to present a balanced character for the RPG -- I've included weaknesses in the profile, and lots of details about personality so people can control him a little easier.

I'm hoping we don't have overly-strong characters in this, 'cos I really hate that.

I'm liking the cast at the minute -- Dono's character follows a God that is Lawful -- my character hates Law -- conflict anyone?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

147 Reviews

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:47 pm
sabradan says...

Grif, I'm not sure how the plot you've posted would work for characters like Valin and Jack's (I forgot his characters' name)

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:17 pm
Firestarter says...

'Tis Henry.

Yeah, I was thinking that. We need to think of some sort of situation where two rogues would want to risk their lives.

Lots of gold?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:21 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Lots of gold, plus a chance to get as far away from authority as possible. Lots of land to do whatever you want with.

If a greater incentive is needed, then one may be provided. I think personal greed is the most common motivator for characters.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:04 pm
Ego says...

Yeah Jack, I saw the conflict of motive between our characters and knew it would be awesome.

I would also like to mention that Valin and Seraph have no need of gold or land...they are both nobles, one of them a prince.

Both would be lured by the promise of adventure, however. The Paladin could be issued as a representative by the ruler of the kingdom, the thief would likely be intrigued by gold...the ranger might be hired as a guide or consultant, and the druid could be met along the way...druids are forest people.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:37 pm
Firestarter says...

I think a good idea would be to keep a list of character's name so we can all follow who's who in the party at the start.

I mean we have 7 people already and that's going to be quite hard to keep track of.

So, we have --

Valin Norovir -- Male Elven Rogue/Fighter with some magical abilities. Prince.

Alden Novoir -- Male Gryphon Hero/Sky Ranger. Famous.

Sirloaz Tranleen -- Male Human Ranger with different coloured eyes.

Henry Leander Preston -- Male Human Thief. Agile.

Seraph Belfast -- Male Humanoid Templar. Lawful.

Adrian Temperast -- Male Human Paladin. Enlightened.

Tan'quin Bromatis -- Male Human Druid. Prophetic.

Just a quick accessible list that can be expanded to include physical descriptions so people can think of some quick adjectives in their posts, if that's what's needed.

“Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.”
— Dylan Thomas