Daybreak

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 pm
View Likes
Stringbean says...

ShadowQueen wrote:
Stringbean wrote:
ShadowQueen wrote:Ruby sighed, pulling another ice pack out of her bag-- which Evelyn must have been seeing a lot of recently. "Generally, we let broken ribs heal on their own, and treat the pain," she said, as Jay entered behind Yamren. "But since we don't have proper pain medication, we've got to use other things." She wrapped up the ice and passed it to her patient. "I'll try to find some natural painkillers."

Evelyn took the icepack and nodded, pressing it gently to her ribs with the edge of her blanket. Finally she glanced up at Jay and who she assumed was Kamea as they came in, giving them both a small smile.

Jay gave her a friendly wave as Ruby examined the inflammation. "How's the pet squirrel doing? Is it still around?" he joked.

Sitting stiffly, a bit awkward as she let the nurse check the swelling and tenderness around her thin frame, Evelyn glanced up at Jay a second and the corner of her mouth kicked up. "Yeah, still busy."
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:37 pm
View Likes
SilverNight says...

Stringbean wrote:
ShadowQueen wrote:
Stringbean wrote:Evelyn took the icepack and nodded, pressing it gently to her ribs with the edge of her blanket. Finally she glanced up at Jay and who she assumed was Kamea as they came in, giving them both a small smile.

Jay gave her a friendly wave as Ruby examined the inflammation. "How's the pet squirrel doing? Is it still around?" he joked.

Sitting stiffly, a bit awkward as she let the nurse check the swelling and tenderness around her thin frame, Evelyn glanced up at Jay a second and the corner of her mouth kicked up. "Yeah, still busy."

"Mmh, pet squirrels, very nice," Ruby murmured to herself, distracted by the task at hand and only half-listening. The inflammation was still in its early stages, but the skin over the broken ribs was already a fierce angry red. "That's going to make breathing rather painful... Make sure the ice is wrapped, as ice directly on your skin isn't good. If you need to cough, I would suggest holding a pillow to your chest to lessen the pain."
"silv is obsessed with heists" ~Omni

"silv why didn't you tell me you were obsessed with heists I thought we were friends" ~Ace

"y’all we outnumber silver let’s overthrow her >:]" ~winter

silver (she/they)

37 Reviews

Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:15 am
View Likes
Stringbean says...

ShadowQueen wrote:"Mmh, pet squirrels, very nice," Ruby murmured to herself, distracted by the task at hand and only half-listening. The inflammation was still in its early stages, but the skin over the broken ribs was already a fierce angry red. "That's going to make breathing rather painful... Make sure the ice is wrapped, as ice directly on your skin isn't good. If you need to cough, I would suggest holding a pillow to your chest to lessen the pain."

Evelyn gave another short nod of understanding. Though it was a trick she already knew-- had used before. She'd had a rib here and there cracked, though never broken if she could judge by the level of pain. Had the last two fingers of her right hand twisted out of place; they still didn't lay quite right next to the others. Had her nose broken so that it wasn't quite straight. Had scars exposed across her partially exposed, skinny torso. As she brushed a wisp of auburn hair from her face, looking down at her bare foot, red from being propped up close to the fire on a crate, she asked levelly, "When will it start getting better?"
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

135 Reviews

Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:39 am
SilverNight says...

Stringbean wrote:
ShadowQueen wrote:"Mmh, pet squirrels, very nice," Ruby murmured to herself, distracted by the task at hand and only half-listening. The inflammation was still in its early stages, but the skin over the broken ribs was already a fierce angry red. "That's going to make breathing rather painful... Make sure the ice is wrapped, as ice directly on your skin isn't good. If you need to cough, I would suggest holding a pillow to your chest to lessen the pain."

Evelyn gave another short nod of understanding. Though it was a trick she already knew-- had used before. She'd had a rib here and there cracked, though never broken if she could judge by the level of pain. Had the last two fingers of her right hand twisted out of place; they still didn't lay quite right next to the others. Had her nose broken so that it wasn't quite straight. Had scars exposed across her partially exposed, skinny torso. As she brushed a wisp of auburn hair from her face, looking down at her bare foot, red from being propped up close to the fire on a crate, she asked levelly, "When will it start getting better?"

Ruby paused, running some mental math before giving Evelyn her best estimate. “Well, assuming we tend to it and let it heal properly... Around five, maybe six weeks? You’d feel better for the last week or so, though...”

"silv why didn't you tell me you were obsessed with heists I thought we were friends" ~Ace

silver (she/they)

37 Reviews

Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:03 am
View Likes
Stringbean says...

ShadowQueen wrote:Ruby paused, running some mental math before giving Evelyn her best estimate. “Well, assuming we tend to it and let it heal properly... Around five, maybe six weeks? You’d feel better for the last week or so, though...”

Evelyn responded silently with another nod. Five weeks... Maybe she could move better in four, three... Five was too long. Way too long.
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

135 Reviews

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:36 pm
SilverNight says...

Stringbean wrote:
ShadowQueen wrote:Ruby paused, running some mental math before giving Evelyn her best estimate. “Well, assuming we tend to it and let it heal properly... Around five, maybe six weeks? You’d feel better for the last week or so, though...”

Evelyn responded silently with another nod. Five weeks... Maybe she could move better in four, three... Five was too long. Way too long.

“I’m sorry,” Ruby apologized. “It’s a long healing process, and far from a pleasant one.”

silver (she/they)

37 Reviews

Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:56 pm
View Likes
Stringbean says...

ShadowQueen wrote:
Stringbean wrote:

“I’m sorry,” Ruby apologized. “It’s a long healing process, and far from a pleasant one.”

The young woman she was tending mumbled a thoughtful "Yeah..." and used her free hand to straighten her worn, dark-gray shirt back into place. She glanced up at Jay and the Sanderson twin who she still thought was Kamea. "So... Anything new outside?"
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

135 Reviews

Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:52 am
View Likes
SilverNight says...

Stringbean wrote:
ShadowQueen wrote:
Stringbean wrote:Evelyn responded silently with another nod. Five weeks... Maybe she could move better in four, three... Five was too long. Way too long.

The young woman she was tending mumbled a thoughtful "Yeah..." and used her free hand to straighten her worn, dark-gray shirt back into place. She glanced up at Jay and the Sanderson twin who she still thought was Kamea. "So... Anything new outside?"

Evelyn would have already known about Finn staying with Ruby, Adrian and Ashlyn. Jay shrugged. "Nothing from me."

silver (she/they)

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:46 am
View Likes
AceassinOfTheMoon says...

ShadowQueen wrote:
Stringbean wrote:
ShadowQueen wrote:“I’m sorry,” Ruby apologized. “It’s a long healing process, and far from a pleasant one.”

Evelyn would have already known about Finn staying with Ruby, Adrian and Ashlyn. Jay shrugged. "Nothing from me."

Yamren shrugged as well. "Nothing here either. Unless, of course, you consider Kamea going an entire day without doing anything irritating an interesting event."
this is Ace erasure and I won't stand for it— silv

I haven't really said anything about ace but that's cause I'm usually speechless with how awesome ace is— Harry

Ace, you’re aggressively loved. Accept or perish.— Wist

[Ace]
[she/they/xe]

37 Reviews

Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:24 am
View Likes
Stringbean says...

ChamomilePendragon wrote:Yamren shrugged as well. "Nothing here either. Unless, of course, you consider Kamea going an entire day without doing anything irritating an interesting event."

Evelyn's eyes did a very small double take on-- Yamren. She made a mental note that this was not the same twin from before and just nodded slowly at the warm grate. "Cool... How about in Sanctum? Anything special going on?"
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

37 Reviews

Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:19 am
View Likes
Stringbean says...

Stringbean wrote:
ShadowQueen wrote: There were no more leaves on the trees. Instead, they were scattered on the ground, all bright red and turning brown, like a forest’s graveyard. The November chill was settling over the small town of Sanctum, and the nights were getting shorter again. However, that didn’t discourage a young woman from venturing out into the crisp morning.

Destiny looked up at the foggy, gray sky for a moment before continuing on. The leaves under her feet would normally crumble as she walked, but her steps were light and near-silent over the forest floor. She’d gone a few minutes ahead of anyone else, leaving her with some time to kill.

The young woman approached a tree with bare branches that hung a little low. With a smile, Destiny quickly found a handhold on the trunk and pulled herself up, making her way towards a thick branch near the top. This left her with a clearer view of the forest, and the nearby buildings. The wind was stronger up here, and her cheeks were a little pale from the cold, but she didn’t really notice. It felt like if she just climbed high enough, she could just leave all her problems behind her on the ground.

The roots are difficult to dig in normal weather, and even more so once the ground grows cold. By the time I get the last of the long, brown tubers of this plant up, my fingers are numb with cold and the tips caked with clay and packed with dirt under my nails. I release a low sigh and straighten slowly, my hands on my knees as I gingerly work the stiffness out of my back to stretch. The sky is gray above me and traced with the stark fingers of tree branches.

With another sigh, I nestle the tubers into my reed mat with a few others I have found, fold it under my arm, and stand. Destiny has gone ahead, and so deeper in. Going unhurriedly and shivering, tiny swigs crunching under my feet, I follow after her.

[I'll post for Evelyn in the morning, sorry. Barely keeping my eyes open right now. You can start if you want to]

[Okay, I don't think we posted anything for D and N after this? If I missed something, sorry :P]

[3rd person]

Leaves crunched under someone else's steps from the direction of the village. Still a distance away, a figure in a dark dress and wine red shawl was walking closer, head bowed and her wild harvest tucked under one arm. When she came close enough that Destiny would have been able to see her face, Natalia looked up, taking a moment to scan the forest in front of her. Her sober expression brightened when she caught sight of her daughter nestled in a red maple. She looked back to her footing with a soft smile and altered course slightly to meet Destiny.
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

135 Reviews

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:15 pm
SilverNight says...

Stringbean wrote:
Stringbean wrote:
ShadowQueen wrote: There were no more leaves on the trees. Instead, they were scattered on the ground, all bright red and turning brown, like a forest’s graveyard. The November chill was settling over the small town of Sanctum, and the nights were getting shorter again. However, that didn’t discourage a young woman from venturing out into the crisp morning.

Destiny looked up at the foggy, gray sky for a moment before continuing on. The leaves under her feet would normally crumble as she walked, but her steps were light and near-silent over the forest floor. She’d gone a few minutes ahead of anyone else, leaving her with some time to kill.

The young woman approached a tree with bare branches that hung a little low. With a smile, Destiny quickly found a handhold on the trunk and pulled herself up, making her way towards a thick branch near the top. This left her with a clearer view of the forest, and the nearby buildings. The wind was stronger up here, and her cheeks were a little pale from the cold, but she didn’t really notice. It felt like if she just climbed high enough, she could just leave all her problems behind her on the ground.

The roots are difficult to dig in normal weather, and even more so once the ground grows cold. By the time I get the last of the long, brown tubers of this plant up, my fingers are numb with cold and the tips caked with clay and packed with dirt under my nails. I release a low sigh and straighten slowly, my hands on my knees as I gingerly work the stiffness out of my back to stretch. The sky is gray above me and traced with the stark fingers of tree branches.

With another sigh, I nestle the tubers into my reed mat with a few others I have found, fold it under my arm, and stand. Destiny has gone ahead, and so deeper in. Going unhurriedly and shivering, tiny swigs crunching under my feet, I follow after her.

[I'll post for Evelyn in the morning, sorry. Barely keeping my eyes open right now. You can start if you want to]

[Okay, I don't think we posted anything for D and N after this? If I missed something, sorry :P]

[3rd person]

Leaves crunched under someone else's steps from the direction of the village. Still a distance away, a figure in a dark dress and wine red shawl was walking closer, head bowed and her wild harvest tucked under one arm. When she came close enough that Destiny would have been able to see her face, Natalia looked up, taking a moment to scan the forest in front of her. Her sober expression brightened when she caught sight of her daughter nestled in a red maple. She looked back to her footing with a soft smile and altered course slightly to meet Destiny.

[You’re all good!]

Her daughter smiled, waving from her perch on the branch. She was about twenty-five feet above Natalia’s head. She swung her legs around the trunk with a hand gripping a branch overhead, and then climbed down to a slightly lower branch. Destiny then did something a little unexpected: she leaped off the one she was on, aiming for one several feet lower that was very firm, but wasn’t too wide. There was one moment when she was in midair and dropping, and it seemed like she might miss. But she hit her intended target in a three point landing, with her feet firmly on the branch, legs bent under her for the impact, and one hand pressed into the bark for balance. The fall had been smooth. She smiled with some satisfaction, completing the rest of the climb down swiftly and gracefully. When she was only five feet above the ground, she jumped down again and landed perfectly, just in time for Natalia to arrive at the foot of the tree; it had taken her just over ten seconds to get down.

silver (she/they)

135 Reviews

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:25 pm
View Likes
SilverNight says...

Stringbean wrote:
ChamomilePendragon wrote:Yamren shrugged as well. "Nothing here either. Unless, of course, you consider Kamea going an entire day without doing anything irritating an interesting event."

Evelyn's eyes did a very small double take on-- Yamren. She made a mental note that this was not the same twin from before and just nodded slowly at the warm grate. "Cool... How about in Sanctum? Anything special going on?"

Jay thought about that for a moment. “Nothing all that specific, really. But there’s been a shift in behavior. There are more people out, gathering the last of the harvest before the frost settles for real. And some people are already trying to get gifts for their families, without the big shopping at malls and stores, of course. Haven’t had those for a few years now...” He sighed. “Yeah, I have yet to plan for Christmas.”

silver (she/they)

37 Reviews

Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:58 pm
View Likes
Stringbean says...

ShadowQueen wrote:[You’re all good!]

Her daughter smiled, waving from her perch on the branch. She was about twenty-five feet above Natalia’s head. She swung her legs around the trunk with a hand gripping a branch overhead, and then climbed down to a slightly lower branch. Destiny then did something a little unexpected: she leaped off the one she was on, aiming for one several feet lower that was very firm, but wasn’t too wide. There was one moment when she was in midair and dropping, and it seemed like she might miss. But she hit her intended target in a three point landing, with her feet firmly on the branch, legs bent under her for the impact, and one hand pressed into the bark for balance. The fall had been smooth. She smiled with some satisfaction, completing the rest of the climb down swiftly and gracefully. When she was only five feet above the ground, she jumped down again and landed perfectly, just in time for Natalia to arrive at the foot of the tree; it had taken her just over ten seconds to get down.

Distance hadn't stopped Natalia from letting out a small yelp when she saw her daughter drop. Destiny found her footing though, as she always did, and her mother released a sigh through her nose, hand over her chest. By the time they met a few moments later at the bottom of the tree, Natalia had regained her composure and was looking at Destiny with something of the look of a resigned parent. "Nada lisa, davin," she said quietly, but that was all.
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

135 Reviews

Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:12 pm
SilverNight says...

Stringbean wrote:
ShadowQueen wrote:[You’re all good!]

Distance hadn't stopped Natalia from letting out a small yelp when she saw her daughter drop. Destiny found her footing though, as she always did, and her mother released a sigh through her nose, hand over her chest. By the time they met a few moments later at the bottom of the tree, Natalia had regained her composure and was looking at Destiny with something of the look of a resigned parent. "Nada lisa, davin," she said quietly, but that was all.

“Sorry!” Destiny looked apologetic, in the way that she was sorry that she’d scared a mother a bit, but not quite sorry enough to stop acting reckless. This was rather common behavior for her, anytime she did something that involved any kind of risk. She was always fine, but it was often a little alarming for anyone watching when she did something bold.

silver (she/they)

"And the rest is rust and stardust."
— Vladimir Nabokov