Young Writers Society

The Castle on the Hill

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:53 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Grim tried to grab onto Bleffles and stop her from going up the stairs anymore, but whatever was willing her to move was too strong - his arm popped right out of its socket.

Again.

Grim hurriedly put the arm back in its rightful place and followed Bleffles. If he couldn't stop her, the least he could do was make sure she was safe.

...And, weirdly enough, he didn't hear the vampire following them.

When they finally reached the top step, the music went from being an eerie, calming impossible to discern tune to something surprisingly modern and not cliche. The background music reverberated throughout the building, shaking its walls with its volume.

But the lyrics, on the other hand, were normal. It was just a regular person singing them - whatever pull Bleffles felt, Grim didn't feel.

"Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight~"

The singing was coming from a room just a little bit away from the stairs. Moving in front of Bleffles, Grim hesitantly approached the source of the singing.

Spoiler! :

THIS DREAM THAT WE THOUGHT WE WERE SAFE TO FORGET, TO BURY AND SAY OUR ADIEUS

ON THE DAY OF THE FOOL, DEATH WILL TURN A BLIND EYE, AND YORICK WILL DUST OFF HIS SHOES

WHEN THE REAPER DOTH LAY DOWN HIS TERRIBLE SCYTHE TO FOLLOW THE WARM WEATHER WEST

YORICK, PUT BACK ON YOUR DANCING SHOES, AND RISE UP TO CALL FORTH THE NEXT.

mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:06 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Tears sparkled at the edge of Bleffles' eyes, as her legs continued to move slowly forward.

She didn't know what laid in wait behind that door. The Grim Reaper would probably survive. Unless it was God in there. Who could tell?

But Grim had been so kind to her, and wether he saved her or not, she probably wouldn't see him again.

Bleffles took off her plastic princess tiara, and put it on the Reaper's head as a sign of her friendship.

"Grim!" She called out, although she was still directly behind him. "I'll never forget you!"
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:08 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Grim faltered for a moment at both the sudden addition of the tiara and what Bleffles had said. He hesitated, then carefully removed the tiara and held it awkwardly in his skeletal hand.

Then he pushed open the door.

The moment he entered, he found himself looking at a room that went against every cliche of this abandoned place - a brightly lit room with a plethora of candles and regular, working lights, cheesy orange-and-black plastic decorations, streamers, and everything else he'd expect from a regular old Halloween party.

But this wasn't a regular old party.

There was only a single person there.

Their hair was mostly black, but the bangs they kept pushing back were a bright, pumpkin orange. Their outfit was Halloween-themed, too: an orange t-shirt with a black jack-o-lantern designs, black pants, and tall, dark brown socks with a candy corn pattern.

They were the one singing. They were also dancing - Grim had the sneaking suspicion the group's arrival had been completely unnoticed.

"We're so sorry skeletons
You're so misunderstood
You only want to socialize
But I don't think we should-"

Grim awkwardly made an awkward coughing noise.

The music - which was coming from seemingly nowhere - suddenly stopped. Its singer froze, then slowly turned to look at the group standing in the doorway.

"...Oh," they quietly said. "Er, let me guess - you ended up here with absolutely no idea why?"

Grim nodded.

They winced.

"That's my fault, then," they said, grimacing a little. "I guess I got a little too into the Halloween spirit - my magic must have run a little wild."

They placed a hand on their chest and gave an awkward, embarrassed smile. "I'm Magic - short for the Personification of Magic. I hope you weren't here too long. I think I might have made some Halloween monsters, too..."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

What's stopping you?
— David Mamet