Young Writers Society

The Mustache and The Beard

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:17 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

She eventually stopped at the edge of a small creek, leaning back against an ancient, twisted oak and gazing down at the silvery water glinting with the occasional shimmer of scales. She didn't speak, nor did she even look at James, but she observed him from her periphery. A part of her didn't entirely unwelcome his presence. If she was honest, she was sick of being alone.

Yet, somehow, she doubted that running with James and his friends was likely to help much. She'd put them in even more danger than they already faced the moment the bounty and monster hunters discovered her identity, which they would the moment they picked up the scent. Dogs weren't uncommon for those who pursued monsters and if they caught the scent of two wolves, well...it didn't take a genius to figure it out.

Tasha sighed and her gaze turned towards the starry sky lit by a waxing moon. This couldn't end well.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:47 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James slowly stepped up to the edge of the creek, only giving Tasha one quick glance before he sat down, further up by the water. He kept her in the corner of his eye, just in case she were to get up and leave again. He didn't want to lose sight of her.

He looked down into the creek as the moon reflected in its softly rippling waters. It was a long time before he felt the urge to say anything, but the two of them were still there in the silence of the night. He absentmindedly pulled some grass from the ground and let it float to the ground through his fingers.

"In all of my travels, there's only ever been a few people who ever cared enough to tell me I was an idiot for staying alone," he said quietly - just loud enough for a werewolf to hear. "Of course, I never listened, and I don't think I'll ever marry myself to one place or one group of people, but, I do enjoy the company of other kindred spirits, if I'm so lucky to find them, for however small our time together may be."

He paused, and sent a brief glance back at her. "I know making formal commitments and saying formal goodbyes may not be your style, or your preference, but for however long you choose to stay in our company, you are welcome. And though we may not deserve it - if anyone ever does - if you were to say goodbye in even the simplest of ways, it would mean more than you know. Especially... for Ari." And himself, but for whatever reason, he couldn't bring himself to say that part.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:50 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"All my presence will do is bring more hunters onto our tail," she pointed out. "Amy's a werewolf, which everyone knows thanks to me, and you and Ari are both fugitives. Give it a fortnight and I'm sure my identity will get out as well. I'm the last thing you need."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:51 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James scoffed and turned away, hiding a small smile. "You sound like me."

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:54 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

She slowly stepped over the rocks to sit beside James. "Maybe when all is said and done, you and I aren't that different. Well, aside from the more than questionable ethics on my end, anyways."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:58 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James grinned and shook his head. He lifted a hand and rubbed his eyes with a sigh. As he dropped his hand to his lap he looked over at Tasha.

"At least you're self-aware," he said with the grin still holding.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:59 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Only because you and your large friend quite literally whacked some sense into me," she answered with a chuckle.

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:01 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

His grin grew wider and he shook his head, biting his lip as he looked away and down at the ground.

"Sorry about that," he said with a small shrug.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:04 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Oh, don't be, in all honesty I deserved it. Should've been more careful. I underestimated your friend, that much is certain. Both of them, come ot think of it," she said with a soft snort of laughter.

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:06 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"To our benefit, of course," he said. "If you hadn't, this all could've ended very differently." Namely, she wouldn't have been here, now, with them, and with him.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:07 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Tasha chuckled. "That much is true, be it for better or for worse."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:10 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James shrugged. "I don't know about you, but I'd say it's for the better," he said softly. "In the end, we've come out of all of this as... friends, or at the very least, amiable companions. That's far better than ending the day as foes."

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:12 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"As though either of us needs more of those."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:13 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"Friends? Or foes?" he asked playfully, looking at her with his eyebrows raised and the hint of a smile on his face.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:15 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Well, it's up to debate, but I was referring to the latter," she said with a smile. "I think the both of us are probably lacking in friends. Though, you seem to have made a few with the large lad, and Amy, too, for that matter."

he/him/his

When she transformed into a butterfly, the caterpillars spoke not of her beauty, but of her weirdness. They wanted her to change back into what she always had been. But she had wings.
— Dean Jackson