Young Writers Society

The Heroes of the Shadows

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:10 pm
View Likes
Halfbloodcheetah says...

TYBALT
He walked along the path his gun at ready.

"Where do you think she went?" He asked even though he knew he was gonna get a sarcastic answer.

He sighed when that was exactly what he got. "Gee I don't know? Probably skipped off on a little late night walk."

Tybalt stiffened as he walked. He had, had just about enough of this wise cracking moron. He had woken him up when he had realized Kirsten was gone, expecting he would be a help. But here he was, sassing more than looking. "Would you cut that out? Kirsten may be in trouble!"

Carlos nodded, "I know that. SHE was in trouble when you arrived. You and your 'help'" He used his finger to put quotes around 'help'.

Tybalt just kept walking, "If you were gonna sass me the entire time, why did you bring me with you? You could have just left me back..." He stopped when he heard something from the woods. He put his hand out motioning for Carlos to stop.

Carlos gave the wolf a look, "What?"

"SHHHHH!!!" Tybalt put a finger over his mouth and pointed to his ear. "Listen."

He could hear the sound better now. It was the sound of something being dragged through the woods.

He turned to Carlos and nodded toward the forest. "Okay. We go in. Quietly. We don't know who or what that is."

Carlos nodded, all joking and insulting aside; and they made their way into the forest.
Someone needs to make Captain Cold a fursona.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:34 pm
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Scarlette Fawn

While unconscious I dream of the lab incident once again. I see the life of innocent people drain away, and it was all my fault. How could I possibly see them as innocent people? They tortured me, and turned me into the monster they see me as. They chose this! But...I was still the one who murdered them.
I can't help but think of their lives, their families. Where were they now? And how were they feeling? The mans last request plays over and over in my head.
"Please tell my daughter...how the story ends." It was the last thing he said he wanted, and I couldn't do it. I don't know how to find her, or even what story she didn't finish. Besides even if I did know I wouldn't go. It's too dangerous for everyone.

No one else will die because of me.

I wake up to the sight of stars. Pain rushes through my whole body and I wince. I sit up and look around.

"Hello? Kirsten? Carlos?" I stand slowly. White spots flood my vision. My eyes water as I clutch my shoulder.

"Ugh this hurts!" I say as I walk back torwards the forest line. As soon as I step in I hear rustling.

"Hello?" I lift away some foliage and see a figure leaning against a tree.

"Kirsten!" I limp torwards her and lift her face. She is unconscious.

"Help! Hel-" Before I can finish my second cry for help a hand grabs onto my mouth.

"I wouldn't do that Scar. Might hurt somebody if you start trouble." The voice was venomous and spine tingling. How did he know my name?

"Mmmhhmmm!!" I try to scream. I struggle in his hold and manage to grab his arm flipping him over onto his back. I hear a bone shattering crunch. He lays lifeless for a minute until his eyes open furious. His body contorts into weird shapes as if his spine is rebuilding itself.

"Well aren't you a powerful little witch? You shouldn't have done that Scar." He whispers. He grabs me by my neck and throws me up against a tree. I try to focus on making him stop but my mind won't stop spinning. I can't breathe and the pain from my shoulder spreads. His grip around my neck tightens. I try to reach for his neck but my build is so much smaller compared to his.

"Go ahead. Use your power." He taunts.

"...no..." I whisper.

"Use it!!" He yells.

"No!" I yell grabbing his arms and using force to kick my legs up to his stomach. I push off pushing him to the ground.

"Stop!" I yell tears now coming from my eyes.

"What interesting nightmares you have." He smiles. "Let's make them worse." He charges me faster than I can react and places a syringe in my neck.

"No..please..Help....me..." I whisper as the world goes black once again.
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:20 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Kirsten
I wake the next morning leaned up against a tree. My head throbbed with pain. I tried to reach back to what had happened last night, but couldn't quite remember. Had I fallen asleep on watch? No. If that was all that had happened then why would I have this splitting headache? I tried to stand but something stopped me. I looked around and saw my hands bound to the trunk of the tree. "What..." I croaked. My throat felt like someone had taken a sandblaster to it. When I saw the grey haired boy slink out from the underbrush, the events of last night returned to me in a wave. He had lured me into the forest, and like an idiot, I took the bait hook line and sinker. Judging by the smug look on his face, the grey haired boy knew full well he had outfoxed me. Jerk.
the place where he had injected me was still sore. I craned my neck to see more of my surroundings. I was in a part of the jungle that I didn't recognize. there was only one other thing here that I knew besides my captor. The blonde girl unconscious on the other side of the clearing. How had he gotten Scarlette? When I saw her last she had been tucked safely away at the campsite.
Panic flared in me when I thought of Carlos and Ty. Had they been captured too?
'No, calm down.' I soothed myself 'if they had been kidnapped they would be here with me and Scar.'
Which meant they were out there somewhere, looking for us. That or the two great lumps weren't even awake yet. I focused on the grey haired boy again, and noticed with satisfaction the nasty scab from when I had bitten him last night. "Ooh. that looks like it left a mark. I think something might've bitten you." I pointed out smugly.
The grey haired boy looked down his nose at me, an austere look darkening his face.
"Aperrantly you fail to recognize that you are in no position to make feeble wisecracks." He said dryly. No matter how much I disliked the guy, I knew he was right. I was the one tied to a tree, Not him.
"How did you find us? Who are you?" I demanded, giving up on trying to be like Carlos.
The boy strides over to me. "I am your..." He gives me one of those looks again "...I am Astral."
"How did you find us?" I demanded once again.
"It was really quite simple. The Whitecoats would have spent months trying to pinpoint your location, and it would take even longer for them to get to you. But I am different. All of us, You, Carlos, Me, Scarlette, all were programmed with a code during the experiment. One that would ensure that we would always know where everyone was and when one of us was in danger. Once that instinct kicks in, nothing, literally nothing, can stop us from finding each other. However, the scientists did their job a little too well, which is about as close as I can get to complementing those idiots meager intelegence. And only an experiment can find another experiment."
"So they're using you as a bloodhound. You must be so proud."
Astral's eyes flashed. "Think what you want, Kirsten, but there is more to me than you will ever begin to comprehend."
I looked into his piercing yellow eyes. They were the kind of eyes that looked like they could see into your soul. I could hear the branches rustling and Carlos and Tybalt arguing with each other. Astral heard it too. he looked in the direction of the noise.

Shut UP, Carlos!' I moaned in my head.
"All of you on the same Island?" Astral mused "Interesting..."
I strain to reach the Knots in the rope binding me to the tree, but my finger tips could barely reach. Astral must have seen my struggle, because he smirked and said "Oh, don't worry about your friends yet. I don't plan on capturing you all today, it would be so boring. But I'll be following you, so make sure it's not too easy to hunt you down. Remember, the king likes a challenge."
And with that, he dissapeared back into the forest.

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:58 pm
View Likes
Chaser says...

Astral

Astral perched in the tree, watching the fire-breather stomp into the clearing. What was his name? Kyle? Carly?

Astral smirked. Even if it wasn’t Carly, that would be his choice title for the boy.

The boy (Carlos, yes, that was it!) stopped when he saw his comrades bound on the opposite side of the clearing. Wasting no time panicking and stumbling over, he quickly set to work untying them.

Sitting down on his branch, Astral leaned against the trunk, relaxedly enjoying their frantic conversation.

“Kirsten!”

“Carlos! Untie me, quick!”

What mundane dialogue, Astral mused. Fitting for such plebeian creatures.

“What happened? Who did this to you?”

Predictable as ever, Carly, Astral bubbled. If you were any less observant, I’d call you Chuck. Honestly, I’m right here. He chuckled, kicking his feet out. He stopped short when he heard the click.

“I’m guessing you’re responsible for this?” The voice was calm, low, and deathly smooth. Astral felt the steel barrel of a gun pressed against the back of his head, messing up his silver hair.

“Ah, yes, the wolfman.” Astral said idly, not looking back. “Tybalt, was it?”

“I’m the one asking the questions,” he growled.

“Are you?”

“Yes,” Tybalt replied bluntly.

Astral fell silent, letting his gaze fall on Carlos once more, untying Kirsten. Then, he laughed.

Tybalt snarled and shoved the gun forward, digging into Astral’s skin. “I’m only going to ask you once. What the hell do you want with these kids?”

“To reunite our family, of course.”

He could feel the dog’s confusion, just for that moment. “What-”

“That’s right, mutt.” Astral spun around, gripping the gun’s barrel, ripping it out of Tybalt’s hand. His golden eyes drilled into Tybalt’s fear-stricken orbs. “This is a matter far beyond your comprehension, so I’d suggest you stay out of it.” He tossed the gun to the forest floor, his lips twisting upwards. “These children will bow to me.”

Tybalt’s face contorted in rage. “I won’t let you!” he roared, slicing the wind apart with his claws.

“Oh, dear,” Astral tutted, catching the wolf’s paw mid-flight. “No need to be so unpleasant, boy. Let me teach you a new trick. Shake,” he grinned darkly, tightening his grip on Tybalt’s paw.

The wolf cried out as his bones crunched together. “H-how-”

“Now jump!” Astral cackled, flinging Tybalt out of the tree. Carlos and Kirsten turned in time to see the wolf screaming through the air, crashing in a heap on the ground.

Astral dropped down from the tree, landing behind it. “Now play dead.” Grinning insanely, he slammed his foot into the base of the trunk. The ground tore apart as the tree uprooted, tipping over into the clearing.

“Look out!” he heard someone yell as the tree crashed down. A cloud of dust filled the field, obscuring everything behind its pale curtain. Astral slipped his hands into his pockets, turning away from the wreckage. Not looking back, he strolled into the forest.

As he departed from the stage, the wistful aroma of nature tantalized his senses. “So, this is the extent of what you can do,” he thought aloud, rubbing his chin. “I must say,” he glanced over his shoulder at the scene behind him, “it’s not that impressive.”

Except for one person, that was. Astral grinned. “Scarlette,” he said, relishing the taste of the word that curled around his tongue. So much potential locked inside her...she was by far the most interesting of the group.

“And none too shabby for looks, either…” he mused. Astral gave a low chuckle as he walked away. Scarlette. The perfect bride for a king.

He was still blushing and laughing when he found his cabin again. Perfectly blended in with the trees and moss, it stood invisible to the untrained eye. Astral himself thought it was a bit too noticeable.

Slipping in through the door, he paced around the cabin. It wasn’t much, just a simple room with a wooden table.

Astral’s shoes tapped on the floor as he walked over. The table rested in the exact center of the room, and in the exact center of that table, there was a button.

Astral smirked. He’d always been a fan of theatrics; and really, none could ever oust the red button of doom. Reaching forward, he pressed his palm down, depressing the switch. The whir of hydraulics and metal stirred beneath him, like a giant awaking from its slumber. The cabin rumbled as the ground beneath it shook and shifted.

Nodding in satisfaction, Astral stepped out of the cabin, traipsing off into the emerald verdure yet again. There was work to be done. His creation would keep the others busy long enough for him to complete it. “And as God created man in his image,” he rustled, looking back at the shadow behind him, “I create you in mine.”
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

Reviews: 0
Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:20 pm
View Likes
TheForgottenKing says...

Matthew Fawne, location unknown, time 0200 hours

"All right boys quick snatch n grab. Eliminate hostiles, and take Mu Jar Hadim to the extraction point. Fawne, you've got transport. Smith and O'Donnele your with me. Let's move out!" I watched as Cpt. Randall led Seal Team 3 down the sandy hill. I smiled underneath my balaclava as I made my way around the perimeter of the compound. My eyes lit on two technicals and lit up.

Two guards. I knocked the first one to the ground with a quick thrust to the throat. He collapsed as his throat quickly filled up with blood. The other man never saw it coming. I quickly rolled the bodies underneath one of the trucks. I sat next to a car and listened for my team to approach. Soon ten minutes went by, than 15. As soon as it hit 20 I knew something was wrong. I took my rifle off safety and slowly approached the compound, than got knocked on my ass by the huge explosion the rocked the valley.

I quickly got to my feet and at a dead sprint ran toward the burning place, searching for my squad. I found them... Or at least what was left of them as well at least half a dozen bodies. And a random briefcase sitting on the ashes. Undamaged. Untouched. I gingerly picked it up, but felt no heat. I turned on my mike. "Mother hen this is fox-4 whole squad is down. What's my next move?" There was nothing but static. I grabbed the briefcase and raced back to a truck and hopped in. I hit the gas, making for our extraction point.

I found nothing but three dead US soldiers and a Blackhawks helicopter sitting idly. I searched the area, but found nothing else. I hopped into the bird, and attempted to contact HQ, but there was no response. I groaned deep in my throat. I say on the edge of the bird, and curiously got the best of me. I opened the briefcase than froze. It was Scar. A few years older, but I knew my sisters face better than anyone's. I sat back in shock. I quickly looked through the the other files. There were other kids too. About her age. Determination field my heart. Oddly, the briefcase also had a lot of cash as well. I looked at some more files, and knew my next action. I was going to singlehandedly going to invade a top secret compound in the Andes. I was going to find my sister.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

45 Reviews

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:49 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Kirsten
"Look out!" Carlos Screamed as the tree toppled to the ground. Carlos rammed me out of the way and jumped after me. I lay there in shock for a moment, trying to process what had just happened. The guy just...kicked the tree. And it--fell over. I sat up, taking in the extent of the wreckage. Carlos, Scarlette, Who had finally woken from her serum-induced coma, and I were all on one side of the clearing,
un-crushed, and Tybalt...Was under the tree. I gasped when I spotted the broken body of the humanoid wolf, and jumped to my feet. I dashed over to the fallen tree. Scarlette Lifted the tree as if it barely weighed anything, and I pulled Ty out from under it. Scarlette let the tree drop, and I took a deep breath. This had better work... My hands shook as I laid them on Ty's back. Small Pinpoints of golden lights Settled on the most fatal injuries, and faded out as Ty's broken spine and rids rapidly healed. His eyes fluttered open. "Kirsten?" He rumbled groggily.
"I'm right here." I whispered, weak with relief. Carlos joined us then. Clearing the tree in a single leap, he came to sit by me. "Stay here with Ty." I said, standing. Carlos leaned back on his elbows. "And while I'm here with Wolfie You'll be..."
I glared out at the woods. "Finding Astral." I growled ominously. I had know idea what kind of game he was playing with me, but hurting my friend? No. that right there was where I drew the line. And the unfortunate soul who crossed that line was in for a world of hurt.

I followed Astral until he disappeared into a very solid looking rock wall. I crept carefully up to the wall, feeling it's surface for any hidden catches or levers, but my search was interrupted by a mechanical whir from the inside of the wall. instinctively I flew back into the woods, perching on the hidden branch of a nearby tree. Astral glanced behind his back at a large shadow looming in the background, an uneasy sensation of dread filled the pit of my stomach. Astral muttered something to shadow and kept walking. soon he had faded from view, but the shadow was still there, growing larger, and as it came closer, I could make out a shape. A huge mechanical lion. Of course. The king of the jungle, crated by a king, for a king. I edged down the branch closer to the trunk, and to my horror, saw a stick break of the branch and land on the lion's chrome plated snout. It's head whipped around and I screamed as it let out a mechanical roar. I jumped from the branch just as the lion swiped a massive paw at the trunk, knocking it clean over. Now, where had I seen that before? I raced at top speed (Which wasn't very fast) back to the clearing. The three others looked around in alarm as I burst into the clearing, followed closely by Frisky the Death Cat. "GO! RUN! NOW!" I shouted at them. They all jumped up, except Tybalt, who had to content himself with laboriously levering himself up as quickly as injury would permit. Frisky roared again and we all dashed off, Ty hopping onto his ATV. Carlos was leagues ahead of Scarlette and I, who were quickly falling to the back of the back of the pack. Tybalt skidded to a halt on his ATV and we hopped on. Adrenaline pumped through my veins as I heard Frisky pounding through the jungle after us. If this kept up, he'd be right on top of us. "I'm gonna waylay Frisky over there!" I shouted over the gigantic lion's roar. Before she could respond, I junped off the ATV and onto the Death Cat's Shaggy mane. I honestly had no idea how I jumped that high, but it worked. Frisky stopped and shook his head furiously, trying to fling me off. I held on for dear life as I was jerked from left to right, watching as the others made it safely through the forest. Once I was sure They were far enough into the underbrush, I let go, flying off Frisky's head and banging against a tree. I heared a bone crunching crack, and pain seared through my arm. As I dropped to the ground, I instinctively twisted in the air so that I landed on my feet. I held my broken arm close to my body and stared up at the giant lion. 'What now?' I thought helplessly.

15 Reviews

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:51 pm
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

"GO! RUN! NOW!" I looked up to see Kirsten. Her face wild with horror. Behind her came a growl loud enough to shake world around me. My vision is still a little blurry from the serum, but I now seem to be fully awake.
"Follow me! Now!" I wave for them to follow me as I break out into a sprint. I turn back torwards the campsite to see Kirsten fighting off the creature.
"Carlos! Take Tybalt in that direction!" I point north. "There is a cave small enough that we can fit through but that...thing won't. Go now!" I still can believe I saved him, but it meant something to Kirsten. Plus I couldn't let the guy die. Even if he did shoot me.
"I am not leaving you two!"
"Now is not the time to be stubborn Carlos! Do as I say please! You owe me!"
His face contorts but he agrees. I run back torwards Kirsten just as she is thrown off the creatures back. I cringe at the bone shattering crunch. She stands and holds her now broken arm.
"Kirsten! Follow Carlos and have him check your arm. I know what to do with the big guy!"
"No Scarlette you are still too weak!"
"Oh and you're not!?" I argue. "I still need your help though."
"And what's that?"
"Can you still open a portal?" I ask.
"I can try."
"Well now would be a good time." I wave my arms getting the beasts attention. We stalks down getting ready to pounce. I run in the opposite direction removing it's attention from Kirsten. I see her furiously begin to work as the creature catches up with me.
"Dang it! Anytime now!"
"Okay! Got it, but hurry!"
I see as a portal opens to an unrecognizable scene. There is smoke and fire....The lab!?! I shake my head away from the thoughts and run head on torwards the portal. At the last minute I jump out of the way steering the beast right into the portal. It's snaps shut and the world goes silent.
My heart beat pulces and my head burns. I touch my shoulder and cringe. My wound is open again. I ignore the pain and the stream of blood running over to Kirsten. She looks pale.
"Come on. Let's go find Carlos and patch that up."
"Thanks...also thanks for the help back there. You sort of saved my butt."
"An eye for an eye." I slightly smile as she smiles back. I don't mention the lab, but it has to mean something.
As we walk my adrenaline wears off bringing back the memories of Astrals nightmare. What the heck did he give me? I shutter at the thought, but try to push the thoughts away. You are in control. I look over at Kirsten, as her arm begins turning purple. I won't hurt them...I won't. Right?
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

45 Reviews

Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:35 am
View Likes
Europa says...

Leon
I sat on the gnarled stump of a pine tree. Whoever had blown this place sky-high had really doe a number on the mountain as well. I kicked my legs languidly. And in case you're wondering, no. This isn't the place the whitecoats had dropped me off. I had esily escaped their location, and I have to admit, however grudgingly, it was all thanks to my Not-So-Freindly other personality, Blak. Who is permanently with me courtesy of the Andes resident mad scientists. Well, not really resident anymore, I guess. Inside my head, Blak Cackled. 'I'm glad to see our boy genious hasn't lost his touch.' He purred in a smooth hipnotic voice that didn't, I my opinion, deserve to belong to the bane of my exsistance. Yes. The worst person I've ever met lives inside my head. Welcome to my effing life.
"Pack it." I snapped aloud. It didn't take much to get on my nerves, especially if you were Blak the evil entity. I was startled as I heard feet tramping through the gravel. I jumped up, Bounding agilely up the mountain face as A blonde boy traipsed into view. he wore army fatigues, decorated with desert camoflauge, and he was carrying a breifcase in his right hand. Judging by the way he was clutching his rifle, that gun was his only defense. he reminded me a little of Captain America. Blak laughed so loud it hurt my brain
'H-He's powerless!' He gasped between bouts of laughter. 'What fun it will be to play with him!'

I stiffened. Usually when Blak "Played" with someone, the playmate ended up dead within two weeks. 'Blak, don't. he's not involved with any of this.' I thought urgently to my alter personality. I could almost see him roll his eyes. 'You never let me have any fun.' Blak drawled. I knew he was joking. He could take me over whenever the heck he wanted, and he knew I couldn't fight back. I felt the rush of air as something behind Captain America hissed. The Cap stopped rigidly, and slowly turned his head right as the silver maw pressed it's way into the blast site, followed by the rest of the metal collosus. 'Ah, I see Frisky the Death Cat Didn't wanted to be late to this little get together.' Blak chuckled.
'Where did you get that?' I asked.
'I've been keeping an eye on your partner.'
'Blak, I swear if you hurt her, I'll-'
'You'll what? No, really. I need a good laugh.'
I could feel Blak forcing his way into the rest of my mind. I was losing control to this...THING. Again. The last feeling I had that was my own was the sick feeling of helplessness.
I felt myself rising. Blak flexed my arms experimentally, making sure he had complete control over my body.
Then he flung himself down into the mutilated clearing where Captain America was backed against the proverbial wall as the giant lion advanced on him. He had his gun leveled with the beast's head and was rapidly firing, but the bullets only dented the surface. I was vaguely aware of my hands pulsating with black light, and Blak surged forward, the darkness spreading around him and snaking it's way along the ground. The lion backed away, growling monotonusly. "What? Does Frisky not want to play with me?" Blak's voice flowed from my lips. "Honestly, I'm starting to feel as if nobody loves me." The machine stumbled back, roaring as it charged back into the forest. Blak chuckled, then turned his attention to The Cap. "Looking for someone, are we?" Blak murmured. he let the darkness fade from his hands and the ground around him, and Cap nodded.
"My sister." He said.
"Ah, yes. I'd figured as much." Blak nodded at the breifcase. "I see you've received The little present left for you. Now, who may I have the pleasure of meeting?"
"Fawne, Matthew." Matthew answered. Hadn't anyone told this guy not to talk to strangers?
my mouth contorted into a smile. Blak swept my dark hair out of the way of my mask, and straightened my long black coat. (His choice of outfit, not mine.) "Coencidentally, I am searching for someone as well."
'No you're not!' I growled, entrapped in my own head.
"Be silent, oaf!" Blak snarled out loud. He spotted the look on Matthew's face, and cleared his throat, that desgustingly pleasant note returning to his voice. "Forgive me. As I was about to suggest, why not join together?"
Matthew's brow furrowed, obviously processing this. After a long while he nodded once. I felt my spirits sinking lower than they already were. this guy had just signed his own death wish.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:39 pm
View Likes
Snoops says...

It was night time and we we had hidden for shelter in a cave. It wasn't very cold due to the fact that I had warmed everyone up by lighting a fire with my ability...sorry, I just like to remind people I can breath fire! I still can't get over that myself...
“So, guys, should we...well..I guess introduce ourselves...I mean we haven't really gotten a chance because of the whole bad guy thing...but well... like I look at you guys and well...I feel like you guys are my family...but I don't even know your last names.” I said.
Ty cleared his throat and was the first to answer.
“Hi..my name is Tybalt or agent 37...whatever you feel like.” he took a deep breath and carried on “My dad is....well...my biological dad is a soldier...and my adoptive one used to assassin people...they were all very cheery bunch. Well, actually the adoptive one is a general know...but that's beside the point. It still involves killing.”
“Like you wanted to do to me?” Scarlet said softly.
“No, I didn't have control....it was like someone else was controlling my body! I didn't want to hurt any of you! I swear.” Ty defended.
“Yeah...but who was that someone who controlled you?” Kirsten asked. I was wondering the same thing, but kept quiet. The way he had just opened up about his poop family made mine seem less poopy...
“I'm guessing the scientists...” Tybalt said slowly, like he was unsure.
“Why would they have control over you?!” Scarlet demanded. She seemed angry, like he wasn't even close to her pain. To her suffering. Kirsten shoulders went from stiff to vulnerable in moments. Maybe she just realized that she had to of gotten her power from scientists too, and not a fairy godmother.
“Because I grew up around those people as a pup!” he stood up, screaming in rage. Everyone's memories were awful from this place and we were still arguing who had it worse. That was surely going to get us far.
“You were?” Kirsten asked.
“Yeah...until I was twelve. I escaped and met my adopted dad there and Zandra.”
“Zandra?” I asked quietly, I couldn't help but notice how he smiled just by saying her name. He must really like her, and then my head turned to Scar automatically. Did I like her? Or just the blond hair? I mean, how could you like someone you don't know?
“So they turned you in to that?” Scar asked.
“No, I was born this way, they just...” he said dreamily, like all his energy had to go in to remember those days because maybe he had tried so hard to forget them.
“How were you born like that?” I asked.
“I was a wolf and they made me anthropomorphic.”
And then it was silent for a while before Scar sat up and started to tell us about her life. I think to make up for getting angry at Ty.
"Keep calm, drink tea and hide under the bedcovers"

Previously Lau2001

45 Reviews

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:45 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

As I listened to Scar sharing her past, her average family, her older brother, the terrifying incedent at the lab, I couldn't help feeling envious. Ty and Scarlette both had something to hold onto, something that they could think about to ease the pain of their experience with the lab. Tybalt had Zandra, Scar her elder brother. And I had...what? I couldn't even remember the experiment (Which might not be such a bad thing) or anthing that came before it. I must have a family, I mean, I wasn't just brought into exsistance by sheer willpower. I might even have sibling, but I could't remeber them. Where were my parents now? What had happened to them? my broken arm was still throbbing, and images of the remains of whatever building I had seen in the portal kept flashing in my mind. I began to feel dizzy and feverish. Suddenly the cave where we had sheltered dissapeared from veiw, replaced by a black and white image of a sterile room with five metal tables in the center of the floor. I recognised Carlos and and Scarlette even Astral was there. And I saw myself. I was younger looking, but I could tell it was me. A boy I didn't reconize was advancing on Astral, who, as per usual, looked extremely bored. The other boy was yelling something at Astral, he had grabbed his shirt collar and Astral knocked his hand away. The image was silent, I couldn't hear what They were saying, I only saw the two boys fighting. The scene suddenly changed and I saw the boy I didn't know, give me a reassuring look as a Whitecoat stuck a needle into his neck before he passed out, the whitecoat came striding toward the younger me and I saw myself struggling against my resraints, shouting something at the whitecoat.

Then I was back in the cave, lying on the floor surrounded by Scarlette, Carlos, and Tyblat, who all looked very concerned. "What? What happened?" I demanded.
"You passed out." Tybalt explained.
"And you were mumbling things about some guy called Leon." Carlos put in. Leon? who was that? Could it have been the boy in my flashback who was fighting with Astral?
"Are you sure your arm was the only thing damaged?" Tybalt asked, sounding genuinely concerned.
I nodded. I tried to grasp the fuzzy images that had passed through my head, but they slipped through my fingers as if they were made of water. I almost screamed aloud in frustration. That had been an image of my past! And it was gone as quick as it had come. This wasn't fair!
"Are you okay? What happened to you?" Scar asked me. The concern in her voice was so deep, as if we had been friends for years.
"I think it was something from my past. we were all in the lab...Someone was fighting with Astral" The picture of the boy smiling at me flickered in my head, but I kept it to myself. "I saw myself too. Younger. I looked so... scared." My head was starting to hurt and I rested it against my knees. I felt an arm drape across my shoulders, and Carlos muttering something reassuring in my ear. I leaned against him, surprised at how calm I felt now that my friend was comforting me. "This is so frustrating." I whispered so only he could hear. "It's like I'm on a boat with no anchor or sails. I can't control anything. I have nothing to hold myself steady in a storm, always living under the fear that one day I'll sink."
And you'll never believe what I did next. I cried.

15 Reviews

Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:25 am
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Scarlette Fawn

"Well I guess since we are bringing out the life stories I might as well start from the beginning." I sigh as a look around the cave. I stare at their shadowed faces from the fire, and shiver.

"Anyways. My name is Scarlette Fawn, and I grew up in Chicago with my family." I slightly smile at the thought. "A family...if you could even call it that...It was me, my older brother, and my dad for most of my life."

"If you don't mind me asking...What happened to your mom?" Carlos quietly asked.

"Oh...she died when I was 7. She was shot in the head by some guy in an alley. She died instantly. I was with her when it happened..." I explained.

"Im sorry. I didn't know." He said.

"I know you didn't. It's okay... Anyways after my mom died my dad put a lot of time into his work. He's a genetic scientist. During all this time my brother pretty much raised me. Matt was always my hero. He raised me, trained me, and loved me when no one else did. All the while he was training to become an agent. He never gave up his dream to take care of me. He did both, and I could never thank him enough. He did more than my parents ever did for me...I never got to say goodbye..."

"Surely you'll find him again." Tybalt suggested.

"As far as I know he is dead..." The whole room stared in silence.

"The day I was taken police rushed in. We fought them off for as long as we could, but eventually they overpowered us. They pulled me out into the hallway of my apartment, and next thing I knew there was gunfire. I screamed and kicked...but I was weak!" I spit. I feel tears build up in my eyes, but I push them away.

"My father sold me for testing, and let my brother die. And for what!? To get rid of us! To make money! Damn him!" The anger consumes me as I stand. I walk over to the wall of the cave and punch as hard as I can. It cracks sending pebbles and dust flying. I fall to my knees.

"...Damn him..." I whisper. I then hear the shuffling of feet and a warm hand touch my shoulder.

"I know it's hard, but you're not alone. Not anymore. He can't hurt you anymore. You're no longer weak." I turn to see Carlos. His face calm, but I could still see the fear in his eyes.

Monster.

I shake the thoughts away as he leads me back to my seat.

"What happened after the kidnapping?" Tybalt asked.

"I was put in prison, and I was tested on everyday. The only thing that kept me going was...Kirsten."

"What!?" She asked baffled.

"Yeah. Your cell was next to mine. We were there for each other. We promised to never tell eachother our names though, because we had no idea when we were gonna die...if we were going to die. Best not the care too much in a world where you've lost so much... Sadly most of our conversations are gone from my memory. Testing and serums are most likely the cause of that, but I do remember you talking about a brother."

"Brother! What's his name." She asked.

"That's the problem. I don't remember, but I do know that he was alive when I woke up in the labs. He was there on the tables with you, me, and Astral."

"You remember the labs?" Kirsten asked curiously. Memories began to flash through my mind.

"Yeah I woke up before the send out. I ran, but they tranquillized me. Next thing I knew I woke up here in the jungle..." I stutter through my words as I try to keep a straight face. Tears threaten to fall, but I hold them back as my hands shake. Best to not tell them about the incident. They can't find out. They'll see me like everyone else. A monster. I don't want to hurt them, but for now I also need their help. As soon as I can get back to civilization I need to run, and then find a way to end this power for good.

Monster!

"Leon!" Kirsten screams. I watch as Kirsten falls over onto her side. Her eyes roll to the back of her head before she passes out.

Leon? I know that name, but why can't I say it out loud. My mouth can't form the words. My mind goes blank as I stare at Kirsten's lifeless body. What was that boys name again, and why is it everytime I think about him his face become hazier and hazier?

After awhile Kirsten slowly sits up.
"What happend..."

Reviews: 0
Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:04 am
View Likes
TheForgottenKing says...

Matt Fawn, Somewhere in the Andes

I stared at the flames of my campfire. I was snuggled in a coat I had bought and was wiping down my rifle, keeping an eye on Blak... Or was it Leon? The kid kept switching back and forth, and I wasn't sure who I liked more. And I was still waiting for that metal lion to pop up again at some point. I would be ready for it. A shrapnel grenade down its throat? See how long it would be roaring than. I thought back to the day my sister had gone missing.

Our dad had been acting strangely that day. Always checking his watch and muttering to himself. I was helping Scar with her homework. (She had never been a fan of geography) when he just left. He just... walked out. I was actually a bit relieved because he was stressing out Scar. She muttered to herself as she erased her sentence. "Tell you what," I said, rubbing her back the way I did when she was a kid, it would always calm her down." I got paid yesterday, so tonight, you and I can take the cable car down to Joe's Diner. My treat okay?" She smiled at me." As long as you get something other than the bacon cheeseburger bro. You need to expand your horizons!" I made a face and she laughed. That's when the door burst down.

Uniformed officers rushed us. They grabbed Scar and began dragging her away as they held me down. Admittedly I lost my cool. I could hear her screaming... And I snapped. I grabbed an officer by the throat and his partner opened fire, pouring round after round into him. When his clip was empty I dropped the cops body and picked up a kitchen knife. And I slit the woman's throat. There was only silence. I grabbed an officer's pistol and loaded it, making my way down the hallway. And I ran into my dad, who was muttering to himself. And in his hand... An envelope in his hand, filled with cash. There's a reason Dr. Fawn uses a cane. And has only one good leg. And I ended up In military school.

All my life... What if I had acted before she was taken?? I was snapped out of my daydream by Leon/Blak humming a tune. I looked at him curiously. He paused and cocked his head. "What?!" He demanded. I let out a chuckle." Really man? Wheels on the bus?" He snapped back at me. "It helps me keep my cool. By the way, I'm curious, how did you make it up this mountain?"

"Thanks to your little donation, I made some nice purchases. My snowmobile is half a mile back hidden under some brush." I said through gritted teeth. This... Things donation had cost the lives of good men. LB as I shall call him, stood up suddenly."I'm going to take a walk." Continuing to whistle his tune, he walked away from our little camp. Sighing I turned back to my rifle as he left the area.

After a bit... I noticed something... The birds had stop singing. Calmly loading a clip into my rifle I froze... Listening... Than I acted. I rolled forward coming up in a couch, and kept my gun aimed at the stranger... From the file.. I was pretty sure it was Astral. Super intelligence and some other weird stuff. The boy cocked his head and grinned. "If I were to bet money, and I am, I would say your related to Scarlette Fawn?" He chuckled when I gripped my gun harder.

"Ah, I see I'm correct. My question to you however... Is what exactly are you doing here? At my late home. I left in quite a hurry, and they didn't really give me quite the going away party I had been hoping for, so I had to... Improvise." He smiled cockily. "Where is Scarlette Fawn?" I command in my most authorative voice. He smiled."I forgot." And I opened fire. Never have I seen someone move so fast. And right before my gun clicked on an empty up, the freak acts caught one of my bullets! I threw my gun to the side and drew my combat knife. In an Instant I was behind the kid to his suprise and shoving the blade into his back. Stepping back to view my handiwork, he grimaced and pulled the blade out of his back.

I froze as I watched his skin... Just melt together till you had no idea 7 inches of steel had just penetrated his body. The freak glared at me. "I'm going to make you pay for that." He growled. I did what any good marine would do. I swing a fist. He dodged my jab only to be met with an uppercut. He was fast and strong.. But he didn't have my skill. For what seemed like an age we sparred, until I hit him in the throat and he backed up, coughing and bleeding.

I wiped blood from my brow, when I heard a slow clap." Well Mattie, you sure do know how to... Pack a punch." LB laughed at his own joke. Astral looked between the two of us. Than turned and ran away. Back into the buildings. LB cracked his knuckles and popped his neck." Oh I do love a good fight." He muttered as he raced after Astral's fleeing figure. I sat down dazed. That kid... He was good. I placed some snow against my aching temple than grimaced as I reset my shoulder, popping it into place. If he had been trained.. I actually would've been scared. I waited for the lights show from Leon.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:28 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Astral’s feet pounded the rough mountain terrain, whisking him away from that thing. His breath clouded the chilly air, his lungs burning. No matter what, he could not stop.

He skidded to a halt at the edge of a cliff, sending a cascade of pebbles scattering over the edge. He could not hear the echos of their fall.

His heart pounded in his chest, and his hands began to twitch. He searched frantically for an escape, for anything. The mountains locked him in on either side, the sentinels of his fate.

A maniacal cackle drove the dread into the pit of his stomach. Bearing a solemn countenance, Astral turned around. The creature known as Blak stood before him, slouching arrogantly. Astral grimaced.

“So,” Blak began with a crooked grin, “to what do I owe the pleasure?”

Astral’s fists clenched. This was the moment he’d been waiting for. “I’ve returned, monster,” he proclaimed sharply. “And this time, you will bow before me.”

Blak doubled up with laughter, the twisted echoes bouncing across the ridge. “Oh, you were always the funniest, Astral. Always with your ‘royal’ nonsense. Really!” The cruel cacophony thundered in Astral’s ears.

“Enough!” he roared, charging forward. His hand rippled with intense strength, practically slicing the air where Blak had stood a second ago. Astral’s hand struck menacingly at Blak’s ever-shifting form, which seemed to slip ever-so-slightly out of his reach.

“Astral, Astral, Astral,” Blak chortled. “What’s gotten you so riled up? You seemed so confident when you tried to kill my sister.”

“Shut up!” Astral thundered, swinging wildly. Suddenly, his hand was caught in a web of shadow that extended from Blak’s fingers.

Blak’s eyes seemed to dim, losing their fiendish mirth. “What did you do, Astral?” he said evenly.

Astral tugged frantically at his wrist, forcing all of his strength into it. “L-leon?” he gleaned.

“Quite so,” he heard a monstrous voice say from behind him. Astral swiveled his head around to see Blak’s shadow, arm raised. The creature smirked. “And may you die as painfully as I live.”

Blak’s hand rushed downward, scoring a cut across Astral’s back, leaking a thin trail of blood. Astral stood there, stock-still, for the briefest of moments. Then the world burst into black flames as the gash flooded with darkness.

His entire body burned as ebony liquid exploded from the wound. Astral screamed as agony flooded his nerves. Desperately, he tried to turn them off, tried to block out the pain. But it didn’t work.

Out of his muddled gaze, he could see Leon backing away in horror. Astral collapsed to the stone, Blak’s laughter echoing in his ears.

“Exactly what I thought!” the shadow crowed. “It’s exactly what I predicted!”

“What?” Leon asked, fear flooding his voice. “What’d you do, Blak?”

“You see, Leon, Astral has the mental capacity to focus his strength on particular muscles in his body,” Blak explained matter-of-factly. “While this would normally be a problem, it’s not for us! Because we’re a team!” he whooped.

“No.” Leon shook his head, stumbling backwards. “No, this isn’t what I-”

“And do you think I give a rat’s scraggly bum what you care about, Leon?” Blak chuckled. “This prick’s run his course, and now it’s time to show him what for.”

The shadow was sucked forcefully back into Leon’s body. The boy doubled over, choking on Blak’s essence. He shuddered violently, collapsing to his knees. “A-astral,” he gasped. “Run…”

Leon’s head shot back up, the demonic eyes of Blak greeting Astral’s stare. Chortling insatiably, the entity walked over to where Astral lay. Crushing his throat in its fist, the shadow hoisted him up, grinning.

“It’s always been like this with you, hasn’t it?” Blak walked out onto the ledge, until Astral’s feet dangled in empty air. “You’ve always thought of yourself as our leader. Our king,” he spat.

Astral’s mind was crushed beneath a mountain of terror, staring at the cliffs beneath him. “I...I…”

“I think it’s time to face facts, Astral. You don’t have what it takes,” Blak growled. “Take a look around. You’re nothing but a pompous, snivelling wretch.”

Astral tried to speak, but it came out as a strangled gasp. “Monster…”

Blak’s eyes narrowed in intense pleasure. “Long live the king.”

With that, he let go.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

45 Reviews

Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:24 pm
Europa says...

Kirsten

I floated over the river, my feet sending ripples over the surface of the water. My eyes were closed as I tried to concentrate on keeping the large orbs of river water aloft and revolving around me. the smiling face of that boy kept pushing it's way into my mind. Who was he? I felt the orbs waver and fall a little, and tore my focus away from the boy. Doing this with water was harder than doing it with snow or ice.
"What's she doing?" I heard Carlos say in a loud whisper.
Visions began flicking under my eyelids. Me at about six years old sitting my the window in a worn out chair. Watching for something...
"I think she's meditating" Scarlette answered quietly.
A boy came walking down the sidewalk and Six Year Old Me jumped up from the chair and rushed out to meet him.
"Ommmm" Carlos cackled. Scar shushed him.
A different vision struck me unawares. Astral on his knees, some black substance pouring from his back. He was screaming....

"BOO!" Carlos's shout broke into my thoughts and I opened my eyes with a start. The orbs of water burst and I went plunging into the river. I held onto the bank to keep the river from sweeping my away. "Carlos! That wasn't funny!"
Carlos almost fell over laughing.
"Yes it was!" He whooped as I pulled myself back on shore. I sighed as I wrung water out of my long, thick hair.
"Do you know how long it takes for this to dry?" I griped, indicating my sopping hair. "And I don't have anything else to change into!"

"I didn't know you'd be one of those girls"

I sighed again "I'm usually not. Guess I just haven't been myself what with...one thing and another."
Again I saw that smiling face, tantilizingly familiar, like a photo of a forgotten friend.
"I don't know what's the matter. I mean, having Amnesia has always kind of sucked, but it's never bothered me thins much until last night. After that flashback..." I flopped onto the soft grass and stretched out onto my back, staring up at the sunlight pushing through the small spaces between the branches. Carlos sat beside me.
"Hey, It's not all that bad. I mean, sure, you have no memories, and sure, your family is probably dead or worried sick about you--"

"Is this supposed to make me feel better? You're not doing a very swell job."

"Just let me finish. Sure that part[i] of your life might be a mess. But y'know, the past is the past for a reason. You have a chance to make something new out of yourself."

"That was...uncharacteristically wise words coming from you."

"I have my moments."

I smiled, but inside I was still full of confusion. I took a deep breath. My head started to spin. I stood up, recognizing the syptoms from last night. "I'm going back to the cave for a little. I'll be back."
I made a beeline for the cave, and sank to the floor. Black and white images sped through my vision like a movie on fast forward. A tired looking woman holding a very young me on her lap. My mother? The receding figure of a person walking down the street with a backpack slung across one shoulder. And a photograph. Four people, two adults and two children standing in front of the door to an apartment. The edges were fuzzy and the faces were blurred, but I could see the address clearly. When I came back around, I was still alone in the cave, so I must not have been out of it for very long. I drifted back to the river bank where the others were still settled. I sank back down between Carlos and Scarlette. behind me, Tybalt tapped my shoulder. I looked over. [i]You alright?
He mouthed. I nodded, smiling in what I hoped was an upbeat sort of way. I silently committed that apartment address to memory. This was a lead on my past. I would follow it. And I was leaving tonight.

15 Reviews

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:08 pm
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Scarlette Fawn

Everyone is sleeping now. Kirsten eagerly offered to take first watch, (A little too eager if you ask me) but I quickly declined her offer. She frowned, and made sure I would wake her up for the second watch. Watching the camp gives me a good reason to stay awake. I haven't slept since Astral's nightmare, and I'm so terrified that I'll see what I saw again. I can barely close my eyes anymore without those images popping up in my mind. If I fall asleep then the screaming will come, and I can't give these people reasons to question and worry about me. When people start asking questions dark things get revealed. I can't ask them to forgive me if I tell them. I haven't even forgiven myself, and I don't know if I ever will. Not yet.

After a few hours have passed my eyes begin to grow heavy. I shake my head around but it's no use. The warm fire and the deafening silence are no help in staying awake. I stand up and make my way outside of the cave. The cold outside air brushes against my face. I shiver as I lean against the outside wall of the cave. The full moon shines brightly through the canopy of trees.

"Hey..." A voice comes up from behind me. I gasp and turn to see Carlos stepping out of the cave entrance.

"Geez you scared me." I whisper. He laughs and sits down next to me.

"Sorry." His eyes are tired, but his smile is wide awake. That's something I keep noticing about Carlos. He is always so positive and happy. Even after everything that happened to us. He still has so much hope. I look away from his smile, and up torwards the canopy.

"You know...back when I was impriosned at the labs I dreamed of seeing the sky again, but now that I can... I don't feel any different. I felt like when I got outside again it would mean freedom...but I still feel trapped. Is that how we are all going to feel for the rest of our lives? Just a bunch of abnormal prisoners stuck in some science experiment?" I pull me knees up to my chest.

"Being normal is boring anyway." He says quietly. I look at him.

"My whole life I was just okay. I was the okay son. The okay student. The okay friend. There wasn't really anything that made me special. And I know we are kind of in this crappy situation, but I like to think that this...was our miracle. We have all lost things, and that sucks. But that pain will eventually be easier. It never leaves, but it gets better... Look, I'm not always hopeful. Sometimes I get really scared, but I can't let that show. I have to be here for you and Kirsten." He explains.

"That's not your priority." I say.

"I know, but I want to. Seeing you guys smile is enough for me." He looks up and smiles. His eyes brighten.

"You should go get some sleep. I'll take next watch." He suggests.

"No I'm okay. You're tired. Anyone can see that. Go back to sleep. Besides I've always been a night owl anyways." I slightly smile. He slightly smiles back, and nods in understanding.

"Well, alright...Good nights Scar." He stares at me a moment before going back into the cave. I sigh and look back up at the sky.

You could have told him you know?
You could have opened up.
But you didn't.
You can't.

Dawn is just a few short hours away when I hear the next noise. Kirsten slowly slips out of the cave a backpack on her shoulder. She didn't see me at first, and begins to walk off.

"Where do you think you're going?" I ask.

"Oh!" She acts suprised. "I was just...getting some water..for stuff."

"Yeah...sure." I stare at her a moment when it clicks. "You're leaving?" I accuse.

"Scarlette..."

"I can't believe it. Let me guess. You left a note and hoped for the best?"

"Listen..." She pleaded.

"No! You listen! Believe it or not we are all in this together now. After being alone on this stupid island for so long I realized something. I can't do this alone, and neither can you. Whatever you're planning on doing we can all help." I explain.

"You don't understand."

"Oh don't I? Kirsten..." I calm down. "I know it's hard not knowing who you were, or who you are. But, being alone is not the answer. Going on a self discovery adventure is not the best idea right now. You are injured, and the only people who know you and will help you no matter what are already here on this island."

"Look...you have a point. But I need to do this."

"Then take us with you. Or at least wait till everyone wakes up to discuss it." I plead. Her brow furrows as she thinks.

"Fine. But I'm not making any set desicions right now." We stare at eachother a moment before I decide to lighten the mood.

"Plus we kind of need you. If you haven't noticed there aren't any airports on this island." I say. She laughs.

"Yeah..I guess I kind of forgot that part." She laughs again.

"Hey. There are still a few hours before dawn. Why don't you go back to sleep."

"Are you kidding? Have you seen yourself lately? You look so sleep deprived...Why do you do that anyways? Constantly refuse to sleep?" She asks. I look down.

"Look...I promise I will get some sleep later, but I can't right now...I just can't."

"...I have nightmares too sometimes. I don't really know what they mean, but I see them...You really need to sleep though." She explains. I hesitate a moment.

"Okay... But you have to promise you won't leave."

"I...I promise."

"Good." I lay down next to the entrance.

"You're not going inside?" She asks.

"I shouldn't." I say. She looks at me a moment and then nods. She then sits next to me.

"You'll be okay." She assures.

"I know." I close my eyes and the nightmare begins again.

"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind