Young Writers Society

Pokemon MysteryDungeon: The Seventeen Plates of Arceus

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:59 am
View Likes
Charizard821 says...

"Riley," said Aricuno quietly.

Stirring from his light sleep, Riley wondered if they were already in the Northern Plains.

"Quickly, wake up."

Riley sat up on Articuno's back. She sounded worried.

"What's wrong?"

"I sense a dark force approaching."

"Is it Dialga?"

"No. Like I said earlier, he should have no idea where we are."

"Darkrai?"

"No, we're nowhere near the Northern Plains. This is another Pokémon, and somehow I think it'd be best if you hid somewhere."

Articuno landed on a bridge and the mist around her dissipated. As Riley climbed off her back, he noticed a Volbeat and Illumise staring open-mouthed at the two of them.

"Fear not. I am Articuno. I'm not part of the New Order. I will not hurt you. However, I suggest you fly away while you still can. Things are about to get... tense."

Heeding Articuno's warning, the two Pokémon flew away. As they went, Riley heard one of them say:

"First that Noibat and now this? What next?"

"Riley," said Articuno, turning to face him, "I do not wish for whoever this Pokémon is to know I've found you. If so, he will try to kill us like Dialga did. This marsh should offer some protection. Find somewhere to hide and stay there until I come for you."

"But Articuno, I want to help!"

"No. You helped me with Dialga and that was enough. Besides, I sense this Pokémon will be much more dangerous than him. Go and hide. I'm sure the last thing you want is to be responsible for both our deaths."

It was true. Riley didn't want to have that on his conscience. He ran a short distance from Articuno and crouched down in the tall grass. With the "mask" of his face and this stealthy move, Riley felt practically like a ninja. When he tried to conceal himself, he was hard to spot as a needle in a haystack. Listening intently, Riley heard the solid thump of a Pokémon landing in front of Articuno. As much as he wanted to see who it was, he knew better than to compromise his position. He decided instead to wait it out and listen to the conversation between the Legendaries.

"Articuno," said a male voice in a surprised tone, "I didn't expect to see you here. Now, what could you be doing on this fine day in the Marsh of Light?"

"My affairs don't concern you, Yveltal. State your business and leave."

So, that Pokémon's name was Yveltal.

"Oh, touchy as ever I see. However I can see that The Resistance hasn't altered your beauty one bit."

"For a sworn enemy to The Resistance," mumbled Riley, "this Yveltal sounds pretty flirty towards Articuno."

"Again, I'll ask, what do you want, Yveltal?"

"Oh Articuno, drop the surly attitude. You and I both know how you truly feel about me."

"Ha! If by how I feel you mean I'd rather kiss a cactus, then you're right, we do both know how I feel."

Riley had to make a really big effort to stifle his laugh. Articuno was witty, that was for sure.

"Articuno, you should have joined The New Order years ago! Not believing in love is one of our prime policies."

"Then what, exactly, are you trying to pull?

"Well, not all rules were meant to be upheld. Besides, don't think I don't know what it is you're doing here, Articuno. I can see through your act quite clearly. Now where is it?"

Riley held his breath. This was it.

"Where's what?" Articuno asked innocently.

"The Heart Lotus." replied Yveltal.

Riley exhaled in relief. That was close.

"I know you came here just to find one for me."

"You know Yveltal, as much as I try to hide it, you've clearly got my number. Yes, I'm here collecting Heart Lotuses for... you."

Riley heard the snap of a stem. Articuno had clearly just picked a Heart Lotus.

"How sweet of you." Yveltal said, "It smells of the freshest garden, and is cool as your icy feathers."

"Poetry?" asked Articuno.

"An attempt, more or less. I do hate to cut our little rendezvous short, but I have business to attend to. Thank you for the Heart Lotus, Articuno. You should really think about joining The New Order. I'd hate to find the day comes when we're forced to battle seperately, rather than united."

"I'll consider it." Articuno offered flirtatiously.

"That a girl."

Riley could have sworn he heard the short rustling of feathers, before hearing Yvetal take off. A few seconds later, Articuno called for him to come out.

"So, um, what happened there?" he asked, tentatively.

"Ugh, even long before The New Order, Yveltal always had this thing for me. I can't stand him to tell you the truth."

"So, that whole thing was an act?"

"Of course! The idea of spending my life with him sickens me! He kissed me, you know. I wanted to vomit the whole half second his scaly cheek rubbed against mine."

"He has no feathers?"

"And his tail is practically a creepy hand. Everything about him is just nasty. In any case, at least we didn't have to fight. Yveltal was never hostile towards me, so as long as he doesn't know you're here, we should be safe from him."

"Alright. On to the Northern Plains, then?"

"Actually no. I received word from Cresselia via her telepathic powers earlier. The group appears to have already defeated Darkrai, and she wants us to meet up with another member of the Resistance who hasn't joined them yet. A girl named Flurry, accompanied by Shaymin."

"Is she a human? Or, rather, was she?

"Yes, she was transformed into a Snorunt."

The name sounded familiar, but for the life of him, Riley could not remember what a Snorunt looked like. He hopped on Articuno's back and they took flight.

"You know, you almost killed both of us back there Articuno! When you said that thing about the cactus, I could barely control my laughter!"

Articuno smiled and said back: "Well, my policy is to lie only when necessary. In that case, it absolutely was not necessary."

Articuno and Riley continued to tease each other about the happenings of earlier all the way to Frontier Town, where they would encounter their first Resistance allies.

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:47 am
View Likes
StupidSoup says...

Evening found the group thirty miles out of their next resting place, a small clearing in the Marsh of Light. They had flown (and ran) for the entire day before and spent the night at the edge of the Marsh. Now, Blaziken and Absol sprinted through the forest, silent as ghosts while the legendries flew above, keeping in touch via Cresselia's telepathy.

"Does she see it yet?" panted ---. The duo had been running for hours and, though the Blaziken was fast, his stamina was wearing thin.

"Not yet," Absol replied, he seemed just as tired as --- but was managing to keep his composure, "But we should be quite close by now."

--- managed a nod and focused on avoiding the low hanging branches and roots that had become a nasty problem as they got closer. Finally, the group found the clearing and the two burst through the forest to find the others waiting.

"We'll take an hour to rest and eat then we'll continue to Cobalt Bay."

Blaziken stumbled over to a fallen tree and sat down heavily. He glanced around and shot a heat wave across a patch of blueberries. At least they had the same vegetation in this world as they did in his. He sat, munching roasted berries and soon his breathing slowed and he became calm. Then, Lugia floated over to him.

"I apologize for not arriving sooner. I could have taken you away before Darkrai ever found you, sparing us from this whole predicament."

The Blaziken just gazed at the legendary, he had never seen a god before and had certainly never spoken to one.

"I-it is of no concern. We have survived the ordeal and what is done is done."

A smile flickered across Lugia's face then he spoke,

"I thank you for your forgiveness. I see you know a couple moves. I can teach you to perfect them if you wish."

--- nodded, he did want to learn. Lugia turned and floated into the surrounding marsh. The Blaziken followed and they reached yet another clearing, this one with a tree, a rock, and a stream. Lugia perched on the tree, and turned to ---, his voice emanating from within the Blaziken's skull as all voices did in this world.

"Attacking is not about how strong you are but how skilled you are." Lugia boomed, his voice tolling like the bells of a church. "You must master your art and use it in a way your enemy cannot hope to anticipate. This is true strength."

Then the god launched himself from the tree and lifted the rock from the ground, a sudden fog burst through the clearing and a shockwave of pure energy coursed through the shroud of white. Once the energy reached the boulder it simply exploded, sprinkling nothing but dust onto the earth. Lugia dropped back to the ground, landing on his haunches.

"You can combine your skills, make them into something greater. This is true power. Now I want you to practice what I have taught you. I see you know flame wheel and counter, combine these and defeat this projection."

And with that, a shadow of Lugia appeared before ---, it shimmered in the light but was not as transparent as --- expected.

The Blaziken dug deep inside himself, remembering the power he had felt back in the northern plains, and launched himself at the shadow. He bought back the flames, and spun towards the illusion. As expected, the projection roared and jumped towards the Blaziken, its jaws encased in Ice. At the last second, --- released the flames surrounding him and in doing so allowed himself to be hit. Rolling off the blow, --- performed a counter, grabbing the shadow under the wing and bringing back the flames. --- threw the projection with the heat of his flame and the power of his counter.

The shadow dispersed and the Blaziken looked up to Lugia who had been watching the display with a furrowed brow. Now, the god spoke,

"You grasp the idea yet you still use your attacks parallel to each other. To find the true meaning of what I am saying you must combine your attacks, you must use both of them without heed of aesthetic appeal, for power is a mess."

--- nodded, he knew what the god was inferring yet could not replicate the feat Lugia had so easily displayed.

"This will not be an easy trial. You must continue practicing this skill. Perfect it, and only then can you face The New Order.

The Blaziken nodded. Lugia glanced at the sun and mumbled half to himself,

"We should be leaving soon, if were to get to Cobalt Bay we shall have to fly the entire day and into the night."

Thus the duo left the training ground and returned to the group and together they set their gaze on the Bay.
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:56 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

Flurry

The landing in Frontier town was unlike anything Flurry had ever experienced. There was suddenly a pebble lodged in her foot, for one thing, and Miss Altaria's bag slammed against her side, sending shockwaves bouncing around her head. Add to that the disorienting feeling of being in a different altitude, and she was set for another tumble to the ground.

"That dunce cap head of yours needs fixing," Shaymin said, nudging Flurry to her feet.

"Thanks, but I prefer to think of it as a princess hat. Besides, pokemon don't evolve that fast, and humans don't either."

Shaymin turned up her chin. "I'm sorry, but you're talking to a legendary, transformational diva, so the argument is invalid."

Rolling her eyes, Flurry mentioned that the "legendary diva" couldn't even carry her own leather bag.

"Oh please," Shaymin said. Then she shook herself to get rid of any residual sand and began sniffing the air. "I think there's a meeting place around here somewhere..." She walked a few steps forward, then turned and wrinkled her snout.

"Smells pretty gross over there. Let's go."

For some reason, Flurry had thought that gross was a smell they didn't want to get closer to. Maybe it was the fact that gross smells were often dead smells.

Nevertheless, she followed Shaymin anyways. They wound their way through town, often ending up at the garbage dumps behind restaurants. Once, there was a slight incident with a garbodor, but it worked itself out pretty quickly.

After a very long walk, Shaymin stopped in front of a sign at the edge of town. "City limits," it read.

"I honestly feel that a thick, pine forest is not enough indication that the city ends," Flurry said. "Maybe their mayor needs his head checked."

Shaymin shushed her. "Yes, their mayor does need his head checked, but you're not supposed to say that out loud. Anyways, remember how I said I was supposed to bring you somewhere?"

"Yeah."

"Well, it's somewhere in that forest."

Flurry didn't like that idea. Dark, creepy places with lots of ghost pokemon did sound appealing (they actually truly did, for one reason or another), but she wasn't keen on combing through an entire forest for a meeting place.

"And whereabouts in this forest is this place?" Flurry asked.

"No clue. I'm just following my nose here."

Even though Flurry silently thought about Shaymin's nose leading to that garbodor, she followed the hedgehog into the forest without complaint.

It was eerily silent there; not a ghost, poison, or any pokemon made the slightest indication they were there. Noise seemed to be almost nonexistent, so when a fierce, freezing wind blew down Flurry's back, she screamed.

Well, as much screaming as a snorunt's vocal chords were capable of, which wasn't very much. She sounded like a blizzard wind going over the opening of a coke bottle. Shaymin was the one who really screamed.

"I thought you were supposed to be a legendary," Flurry whispered, staring up at the gigantic blue bird above them. "Why are you so scared?"

"I am legendary, but I'm not perfect!" Then Shaymin raised her voice and shouted. "Hey Articuno! Mind giving us a lift?"

Flurry gave Shaymin a what-the-heck-are-you-thinking look and stepped back. "You know that thing?"

"Her," Shaymin corrected. "And uh, yeah. I know her."

The two girls silenced themselves as Articuno landed. Watching the bird pokemon's great blue wings fold in, Flurry decided that Articuno was someone to admire.

"As usual, you ignore Cresselia's telepathy," the bird said. Her voice was icy, powerful, and graceful all at the same time, and gosh... she was pretty. "You were supposed to meet Riley and I at a clearing nearby, and yet we find you wandering around aimlessly."

Shaymin grinned sheepishly. "Uh... sorry. But at least you knew I'd be here, and not in the vast expanse of the Sazandora desert."

Flurry, on the other hand, was busy wondering if this once-mentioned Riley was a boy or a girl. It was a pretty universal name, after all. Oh, what if it was a girl? They could talk about girly things like Star Wars and Wicked! Not that Flurry remembered what those were, but still. Without even realizing it, she let a smile creep onto her face.

Her attentions were drawn back to the conversation when Articuno sighed, sending a fresh blast of cold towards the ground. Flurry wasn't gonna lie--the cold felt pretty awesome.

"What's done is done," Articuno said. She sat herself on the ground and swiveled her neck around to face someone on her back. "Riley, I'm sure these girls would appreciate if you helped them up. Neither one seems fit for a climb."

Oh, so Riley could climb. Well, wasn't she (or maybe he) special?

When the mysterious Riley did appear, however, Flurry lost all hold on her sarcastic comments. Whatever pokemon that kid was, it was cool. Way cooler than her and her hat-thing.

Riley scrambled off Articuno's back, eyes already seeming to calculate the best possible method of helping two stubby-legged creatures get up so high. Upon arriving on the ground, the pokemon waved (sort of--it was more like a very short-lived classroom hand-raise) and said a quick "hi."

From the voice, Flurry could already tell. Riley was a guy. Her dreams were crushed.

She watched in absolute jealousy as Riley placed Shaymin on his head. (Having a conic shape, this would be an impossible feat for her.) Then, he beckoned for Flurry to follow him up Articuno's feathery sides.

"Sorry, but I'm not a great climber," Flurry said. Riley was already in the middle of depositing Shaymin on Articuno's back, but she could see him cringe. Obviously, he either did not like girls, or did not like anyone.

With help from the occasional outstretched paw from her new traveling companion, Flurry slowly made her way onto Articuno's back. She plopped down as just Articuno lifted her wings and jumped into the sky.

"Sooo," Flurry said, looking around at the triangle of pokemon. Shaymin was out of commission, reduced to a ball of freezing grass and pink flowers. Riley had sat down as well, and wore a mask that seemed to say "please don't talk to me," emphasis on the "please."

"What kind of pokemon are you, Riley?" Flurry asked. She had to say something. Just because a pokemon looked way cooler, didn't mean they had to act cooler. Who knew? Maybe he could remind her of what Star Wars was.

Nope. His answer was terse. Just a very fast "riolu."

"Okay, and what type is that?" If memory served, it meant Riley was a fighting type, but it didn't hurt to check.

He confirmed it in one word.

"Cool," Flurry said. "And no, that- that wasn't a pun."

Riley just squinted at her like she was some kind of weird geekazoid trying to impress her peers. "I didn't think it was," he said earnestly. There wasn't even a hint of disgust in his tone.

Oh, so he was nice, and he could say more than one word at a time. It was time to move onto the real questions now.

"Any idea what Star Wars is? I keep remembering the name when I try to make comparisons, but the meaning escapes me."

Riley's answer was a slow shake of the head and an equally drawn-out "no."

And since Riley responded to all of Flurry's attempts at small talk in the same way, the trip to wherever-it-was on Articuno's back felt a lot longer than it really was.
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:10 am
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Excuse the length - I get carried away when I am really enthusiastic about something.

Spoiler! :
Gabriel – Life in the Land of the Dead: Part One

The scarred plains of the Land of the Dead were dark and desolate. A perpetual curtain of clouds shrouded the land from the harsh, piercing light of the sun, hiding the horrors that dwelled there. It was a land few agents of light ever visited, and whence none ever returned.

Long ago, a fierce battle had been fought on the lush fields. The opposing forces each had different motivations – the one conquest, the other survival – but neither could gain the advantage. Their struggle was mighty, but to no avail; eventually, the two sides destroyed each other. Yet a victor did emerge: Death.

The land withered and died with time, and soon, only a festering wasteland of ruins and skeletons remained. It was then that the denizens of the dark appeared, revelling in the despair. Yet where there is overwhelming despair, there is a small ray of hope, and so a small orb of white light appeared above the clouds.

As the orb descended and gravity embraced it, it grew in size, continuously swelling, as if it was a glorious crescendo in a symphony. Swathes of indigo appeared and begun dancing across the surface, reflecting the white as it did so, battling the darkness with light. The now enormous sphere continued to plummet, but with determination. When it finally made contact with the rotten skin of the black earth, it released the light in a magnificent wave that illuminated even the darkest shadows of the most sinister ruins. Hope had arrived, and it would not go unacknowledged.

In the resulting crater made in a particularly menacing complex of ruins, this hope stirred and opened his eyes. Coming to his feet with much groaning and wincing, he surveyed his surroundings with growing shock and awe. The greatest shock, however, came when he rubbed his forehead and caught a flash of blue. The small figure buckled, and as he thrust out his arms to prevent collapsing face first onto the still steaming ground, the truth finally sank in.

His outstretched blue hands each held only three fingers, and on the hands themselves was a bony outgrowth, an oval, causing them to be much longer than the fingers. The wrist appeared to be where the elbow normally was, for thence the arm was straight and connected to the shoulder. How such physiology could exist baffled the little figure, but after pondering it for a few seconds, still on his knees, he realised that he did have an elbow, and that it was in fact a wrist he lacked: his fingers were simply connected to his arm, for the bony oval prevented a hand from properly forming, meaning the forearm had to double as a hand. A ridiculous, albeit still effective design, all because of some bony outgrowths. Fortunately, the figure knew their purpose, so he supposed the adaptation was worth it.

He rose to his feet, muttering as he did so. He brushed the dust off and, upon hearing a haunting wail in the distance, quickly scrambled up the slope of the crater, making sure he went in the opposite direction. There was a gaping hole in one of the walls and the figure could see a corridor beyond it, so he decided to clamber through.

He had expected it to see the shadows dance, but not that one would appear right in front of him, its red eye glowing ominously through the skull mask. He yelped and sprinted past the Duskull, running down the passages as they appeared. He passed a collapsed doorway, skidded to a stop and doubled back. There was a hole in the rubble just large enough for him to squeeze through it. Inside appeared to be a dilapidated dining room. There was a small hole in the ceiling through which dim light filtered, so he could see a ramshackle dining table and several chairs.

On one of the walls hung a mirror with a crack running through it, but it was otherwise undamaged, so the figure approached it. When he reached it, he had to look up to see the frame, so he jumped up, grabbed it, and deftly removed it from the wall, placing it in front of him. What he saw confirmed his suspicion.

The reflection of a bipedal canine gazed back. He was covered mostly in sable and blue fur – the shade should have been azure, but whether by some trick of the light or natural colouring, it was deeper, like the bright night of some enchanted glen during a full moon.

Two pointed ears sat atop his head, but one could easily miss them, as two sable appendages hung from the side of his head. They were tapered close to the head but expanded as they moved away, making them resemble ears as well, though more like that of the fluffy variety. The face itself was predominantly blue, save for sable fur that stretched from the nose, straight back and over the eyes and thence to where the appendages were attached. The resulting effect was that the canine appeared to be masked, which placed emphasis on the eyes: eyes that shone like brilliant carnelians.

Around the neck, a band of light golden fur grew. It held a striking resemblance of a collar, and it even stood out! The canine half expected it to be uncomfortable and that it would cause him to tug at it, but it was, of course, just fur, so it felt perfectly natural. Beneath it, the fur was sable again, stretching all the way from the shoulders (although barely covering the armpits), down to the torso and back, but not all the way. There where it stopped, it zigzagged, so that it seemed he was wearing a vest. He was wearing clothing without even wearing clothing!

Beneath the sable, the fur was blue down to the thighs, which meant the tail – a long, smooth tail that made a pointed curve at the end, almost like a boomerang – was blue as well. Halfway to the knee, however, the legs became sable again. The lower leg was extremely short, since he was a canine, and the ankle therefore reached up rather high. As a result, he stood on his toes (numbering six in total), though with perfect balance and comfort.

Satisfied with his appearance and the knowledge of his species, the Riolu went to one of the corners and sat down. He sighed. “Trapped in ruins – great. I can handle being turned into a Pokémon, since I’m sure every fan has at least once imagined this happening to them, but why did I have to appear in a place crawling with Ghost types? I’m a Fighting type, for goodness sake!” A screech in the distance reminded him not to get too passionate. “And that’s odd anyway: I’d have thought I would be a Psychic type. Actually… now I’m glad I am not a Psychic – they’re weak to both Ghosts and Darks, but since I’m a Riolu, I have the advantage in a fight against the latter, and there are bound to be Dark types around here.”

“Especially after you fell from the sky.”

Had the Riolu not been in a corner already, he would have jumped into one. Instead, he recoiled; so much, in fact, the wall behind him cracked.

“Be not afraid!” the voice said. “I come in friendship.”

He didn’t sound like he meant any harm, but the Riolu was nevertheless wary. “It demands a substantial amount of faith for me to trust a complete stranger, especially in a place like this…”

“Faith is one of the three greatest virtues. Come to me, and you’ll see I speak the truth.”

“Even so, I don’t know where you are,” the Riolu said, shivering in his corner.

“I am above you. There should be a small hole in the ceiling; see if you can fit through.”

“I’m barely two feet tall – these walls are at least five times my length!”

“What is your type?”

The Riolu hesitated, but he supposed he had to trust someone. “Fighting.”

“Then you should be able to jump twice that high! Just try it. Like I said previously, have faith.”

Reluctantly, the Riolu approached the hole. Deciding that it was all or nothing, he jumped. Much to his amazement, he actually went through it, and indeed, he almost reached the ceiling of the next floor before landing shakily on his feet.

“That was not so difficult after all. Hmm, a Riolu.”

Said Riolu turned around to face two pairs of long, dark blue legs. He followed them to a lean, dark blue body, with two long tufts of fur curving upwards from the base of the neck. When viewed along with the front legs, it formed an unmistakeable “X”. The Riolu followed the neck up to the head, where a face crowned by a glorious set of iridescent white, yellow, orange, red, pink, purple and blue antlers gazed down upon him.

He tried with all his might to continue standing, but the sheer intensity of the moment forced the Riolu to his knees. He was in the presence of a Legendary – the Pokémon of Life himself! He who never dies, but turns into a tree and grants eternity to all who witness the glorious act!

“Xerneas!” the Riolu exclaimed. “I mean, your grace,” he quickly added, bowing so low, he could feel the cold of the stone on his forehead.

“Your reverence is laudable, but I would prefer it if you merely called me Xerneas,” the deer of life responded.

The Riolu hastily rose to his feet. Xerneas was shifting uncomfortably from hoof to hoof and his cheeks seemed an even lighter blue than usual. For all his majesty, Xerneas actually blushed. It made the Riolu admire him even more.

“I’m sorry, that must have seemed an awful lot like grovelling…” he said awkwardly, averting his gaze.

“It did,” Xerneas replied, “but an emperor would consider anything less as inappropriate, and since you were a human, it is only natural that you think I must be treated the same way.”

The Riolu smiled in gratitude. “Thank you for understanding, Xerneas. Although, it seems as if we have met before.”

“Indeed, we have. Unfortunate–” He broke off as an ear-splitting wail echoed from a few corridors away. “They know we are here. Listen, it is imperative that you keep out of harm’s way. I shall deal with that sentry, but you must stay put. If you hear me call, do not answer – wait for me to fetch you in person, as it may well be a Ghost mimicking my voice. I shall be back shortly.”

Xerneas left, and while the Riolu was certain he would return shortly, the anticipation made even a minute seem like an hour. The longer Xerneas was away, the more the Riolu’s panic level rose. He was considering going after him, when a noxious smell enveloped him. Strangely, he wasn’t too bothered by it. He turned around and came to face a black and purple ball of gas with malicious eyes and two fangs.

“So, this is what caused the crater,” the Gastly muttered to itself. “Yes, I can imagine why the Resistance would want a Riolu. If I recall, the last time a Lucario walked these lands was before the Land of the Dead was the Land of the Dead… Tell me, young one, how does it feel, suddenly being a Pokémon in a dangerous new world?”

The Riolu swallowed. “I don’t fear you,” he said, mustering as much defiance as he could.

“It is not I you should fear.” The Gastly floated a little closer, causing the Riolu to take a step backwards. “But I can nevertheless make you suffer. If you come with me and do not cause pointless trouble, perhaps I shall spare you the agony.”

The Riolu lunged forward and attempted to jab the Gastly in the eye – a move he recognised as Quick Attack – but it harmlessly passed through the Ghost’s gaseous body. He had forgotten Ghost types were immune to Fighting types.

“There, you see? Attacking me is futile, so what will you do now? Come with me, or give me the pleasure of pursuing you?”

“I am not a coward!” the Riolu yelled, incensed. “I may prefer to avoid conflict, but I am not afraid of taking a stand if it comes down to it.”

“And? Has it come down to it?” the Gastly taunted.

The Riolu felt like punching the Ghost again, even though it would have no effect. Then again, if a Bagon could eventually evolve into a Salamence simply because of desire, then surely he could somehow hurt the Gastly. He closed his eyes and concentrated, ignoring the Ghost’s jeers. Suddenly, he lunged forward, repeating his Quick Attack, and to his joy, the Gastly actually cried out in pain when his fist connected.

The Riolu didn’t need to wait for an invitation; he immediately sprinted down the corridor, but when he turned the corner, he collided with Xerneas.

“Are you alright?” Xerneas asked.

“I think so,” the Riolu answered, a little dazed. “Oh, there’s a Gastly back there!”

“Not anymore – it left. I apologise for endangering you. I should never have left you on your own.”

The Riolu didn’t know what to say. “Umm, apology accepted?”

Xerneas looked down on him with kind eyes. “We should leave; the fewer Pokémon we encounter here, the better our chances of escape. Climb onto my back.”

“What? I wouldn’t dream of doing that!”

“They already know we are here, but we must still travel silently so that they do not know our exact location. Should the need arise though, we may have to flee, and I would rather that we do not separate again.”

“Very well,” the Riolu replied resignedly. He hopped onto Xerneas’ back and they were off. His trot was surprisingly fast and quiet.

Spoiler! :
Gabriel - Life in the Land of the Dead: Part Two

“How did you fare with that Gastly back there?” Xerneas asked after a while.

“I tried to use Quick Attack on it, but it had no effect,” the Riolu whispered. “The Gastly then mocked me some more, so I punched it again, but that time I struck it in the eye. How did I fail the first time, but succeed the next?”

“You probably used Foresight. When Normal or Fighting types focus their mental ability, they are capable of striking into the Spectral Plane, in which Ghost types dwell.”

“Before I struck it the second time, I closed my eyes and willed myself to hurt it.”

“You have good instincts. Foresight can be used for more than just attacking Ghosts though. Those who are disciplined enough can even learn to divine the future, but it takes rigorous training, and even then, the chances of receiving a vision are slight.”

“Can I do anything else?”

“Being a Fighting type, your moveset will be mostly physical, so we shall have to find you another tutor, as I am not suitable for that kind of training. In other aspects, however, I would be happy to help. For example, I could teach you how to imbue your punches with ice or electricity, levitate yourself by means of electromagnetism, and channel your mental focus into palpable energy. I can even teach you how to endure the most brutal of attacks and avoid fainting or dying.”

“You can teach me how to cheat death?” the Riolu asked, astounded.

“Not so loud! And no, I said I could teach you how to avoid dying in battle, not indefinitely.”

“Oh!” Xerneas swivelled his head towards the Riolu and gave him a warning glance. “Right, sorry.” He refrained from speaking again, so they rode in silence for at least ten minutes before Xerneas spoke. They could hear the sinister Pokémon searching for them, and frankly, the sound was immensely unnerving.

“What shall I call you?”

“B-beg your pardon?” the Riolu stuttered. He had been trying to alleviate his fears by imagining all of the Ghost and Dark types he knew and analysing their weaknesses, but he managed to do exactly the opposite and could only think of how dangerous they were.

“Do you remember your name?” Xerneas asked patiently.

The Riolu thought for a moment, and then replied, “Gabriel.”

Xerneas was stunned. Clearly, he had expected a different answer. “How did remember?”

“I assume the transformation into a Pokémon must have induced amnesia, since I can’t remember anything not directly related to Pokémon. However, amnesia is generally a psychological condition, caused by the subconscious mind’s reaction to a traumatic experience, and it exists to protect the conscious mind from those painful memories. It can be overcome by a trigger though: an occurrence in the present that is similar to the “forgotten” memories, and therefore allows the memories to be accessed again. Often, if someone describes enough details of a memory, the memory will fully return to the amnesiac.

“If I therefore want to remember my name, I shall have to treat it as if I was in the labyrinth of Minos and follow the thread until I reach the memory – the centre, as it were. I did this by thinking of my mother. I cannot remember her specifically, but I know what I would expect from a mother. If I expect something in particular from a mother, then it means I probably experienced it with mine, so if I expect a mother to be spiritual, my mother probably was spiritual, or religious. Religion often plays a major role in naming customs, so I was wondering what my mother’s religion would be, when the answer simply popped up: she was a Catholic. Catholicism is frequently associated with the Virgin Mary, archangels, and saints. If my mother relates with a specific archangel or saint, she would likely name me after him. And then the name came. Gabriel, meaning, “Devoted to God.” My name is Gabriel.”

Xerneas was dumbstruck. “That was a rather… lengthy explanation…”

“Sorry, I ramble when I get nervous. Apparently, I have a minor streak of narcissism in me, so I find the sound of my own voice comforting. Rambling is thus my way of trying to calm down.”

“Is it working?” Xerneas asked, slightly amused despite himself.

“Not in the slightest. The only reason someone as important as you could possibly have risked your life to come here and save me is that I am essential to some plan to save the world. The knowledge that I have accepted such an enormous responsibility – which is probably due to my desire to make a difference and contribute to something larger than just me – coupled with the fear of whatever fiends are searching for us, causes extreme agitation. The best way for me to calm down would be to leave this place. And… see you use Aurora Beam on the first Pokémon that attacks us…”

Xerneas laughed. “I would happily do so, although leaving this place will not be as easy. I came in through the roof, but we cannot exit through it as well; there are certain to be Murkrows and Mandibuzzes circling above, just waiting for us to show ourselves. Unfortunately, this happened to be a palace complex before it was destroyed – a rather large palace complex, I should add – so navigating it has not been easy. I almost got us lost several times. But that is my worry, not yours. You should relax.”

“I wish I could.”

“Then ramble some more.”

“About what?”

“You seem to know a lot about psychology.”

“I used my name as the origin for that particular “thread.” It seems I researched psychology in order to learn more about myself. I can expand on my narcissism, for example, by saying that I have a very strong desire to be viewed as intelligent and to be counted as someone who matters. I would try to prove this by discussing complicated topics, as well as using words considered as above average and avoiding contractions and colloquialisms.

“I also have a short temper – the result of a large ego. I am very susceptible to complements, but they have to be genuine, since I react adversely to ingratiation. I take insults more personally than I should, and my ambition leads me to be somewhat of a control freak at times, which means I get aggressive when I am defied. As subconscious compensation, I cannot stand arrogance and I resent those who look down on the weak, the vulnerable, and the less fortunate, personally preferring to garner admiration not by parading my skills and abilities, but by displaying modesty and being helpful. To me, service is its own reward; I derive pleasure from aiding others and showing kindness, as it grants the assurance that I have made a difference and that it is appreciated.” Gabriel sighed. “That was humiliating. Rambling is also called “verbal diarrhoea” for a reason.”

“Everyone has their flaws,” Xerneas consoled, “I say leave judging to the perfect. Besides, if I understood you correctly, then you are aware of your flaws and you actively try to improve on them. You judge yourself too much.”

Gabriel smiled. “Thanks.”

“You are welcome. All the same, stop fretting. Sharing such personal information illustrates your immense faith in me, and I can but reciprocate that trust.”

An ominous howl echoed through the ruined complex, abruptly ending the conversation. Gabriel should have felt a chill go down his spine, yet he was at ease. Well, as at ease as one can be in… hmm, he didn’t know what it was called.

“Hey, Xerneas? What is this place? The region, not the complex.”

“We are in the centre of the Land of the Dead. Essentially, it is a wasteland.”

“Is that why you came here?”

“Indeed. But there are other reasons.”

“How many others are there?”

Xerneas frowned. “Five. How did you know there were others?”

“Flattered as I would be if that was the case, I am not the only human to have been transformed into a Pokémon. It is simply too significant an event. Besides, if you came here, then other Legendaries likely went elsewhere to search for us, though I have no idea why we are scattered. It must have been the process.”

“It was, but you must know we had never meant for it to happen.”

“The bad guys ambushed you, didn’t they?”

“Despite our best efforts, yes.” Xerneas fell silent and a look of sorrow crossed his face. Clearly, close friends must have died during the attack.

The rest of the ride was tedious, for the eerie sounds of the Ghost and Dark types had moved away, but Gabriel would rather be bored than petrified. However, the dullness eventually got to him. “How much longer.”

“Patience, my friend, we are almost at the north wing’s entrance.”

Gabriel was taken aback and overjoyed that Xerneas had called him his friend, but the moment was cut short when a Mightyena leaped at them from the shadows to the left. Xerneas caught it with his antlers and flung it aside like a ragdoll. Another appeared with a snarl, to the right that time, but Xerneas blasted it with his Aurora Beam before it could attack.

“They have found us! I should have known better than to believe we had evaded them. Hold on!”

Xerneas charged past several more Mightyena, with more appearing all the time, and galloped down the corridors at breakneck speed. As he ran, all the colours of the rainbow began swirling around him. They rounded another corner, and finally a pair of double doors loomed ahead. Xerneas crashed through them, straight into the writhing mass that awaited them.

The majority of the enemy knew better than to stand in Xerneas’ way, so they scattered. A Tyranitar barred their way though, and the look on its face showed that it was not going to move voluntarily.

“Umm, Xerneas?”

“I know.”

The Tyranitar grew larger as Xerneas drew closer. It gave a fearsome roar, hoping to intimidate them, but Xerneas was not giving in either.

“Xerneas…” Gabriel started, but knowing it was useless, he ducked down, preparing for the impact. It never came.

Xerneas had been using Geomancy to charge his power, and once he was as close to the Tyranitar as he would dare go, he used Moonblast. The ruinous blow sent it flying.

“Faith, young Gabriel, seems to be a concept you have difficulty grasping.”

Gabriel would have replied, but he was speechless. After they had left the complex far behind, he enquired, “Where are we going?”

“Once we have found our wards, we are to head to the primary rendezvous point, which is Frontier Town, a city to the south. I have other affairs of which I must take care first, so I am taking you to the secondary rendezvous point: Frostpoint Village. It is the only settlement in the Northern Plains, which is why both the Resistance and the New Order have been trying to gain their support. All attempts have failed thus far, as they insist on being neutral, but a sanctuary has its own benefits. I shall leave you at our headquarters there and fetch you again once I am done.”

“Two questions: One, how is Frontier Town a city, and two, what is the New Order?”

“When Frontier Town was founded, the citizens were few. Now, however, they number more than a thousand, but they did not want to have the name changed. As for the New Order, they are the ones we resist.”

“Are they some radical new regime?” Gabriel asked curiously.

“It pains me to admit it, but yes, that they are exactly. Their leaders are Legendary Pokémon who have grown tired of selfless service and now desire only dominance. They gather support by promising peace and prosperity, but as soon they get what they want, they treat the Pokémon like dirt. They fancy themselves the lords of the world, and they are willing to oppress anyone if it means advancing themselves. The disgrace of our kind is a tragedy, one from which we may never recover.”

“If Arceus is on your side, why is this so difficult?” Gabriel asked, confused. “Surely the Creator of this universe can stop them…”

Xerneas decelerated gradually, eventually coming to a complete stop. “Yes, Gabriel, you are right, he could. Unfortunately, he is the embodiment of our Fall.” Xerneas gazed up at the full moon, for night had fallen during their journey. Gabriel dismounted and stood beside the great deer. A single tear rolled down the Life Pokémon’s cheek, and what he said afterwards sent Gabriel reeling. “Arceus… is the one who founded the New Order.”

The moment stretched on into eternity, and as much as Gabriel wanted to break the silence, he would not dare be so callous. Fortunately, Xerneas eventually dismissed sorrow.

“Come, onto my back. We have dawdled enough.”

Gabriel did as instructed, but he had to hold on for dear life, as Xerneas galloped faster than ever before; a bubble of white light even formed around them. Despite the worry that he would fall off though, Gabriel couldn’t help but feel excited. He had been transformed into one of the greatest non-Legendary Pokémon there was, and he had his idol for an ally and guardian! No matter what was to come, he felt he was finally read for the adventure.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:49 pm
View Likes
Robusto says...

Zulu stood on the shore with the rest of the group.

“So, where’s this temple?” He asked, gazing out to sea. The smell wasn’t like a normal ocean. This one smelled… cleaner.

“Do you see that island out there on the horizon?” Cresselia asked, directing Zulu’s gaze where she meant. Still, Zulu saw nothing.

“I still don’t see it.” Zulu said, getting annoyed.

Cresselia turned to the other humans in the group.

“Do any of you see it?” She asked. Frost was the only one who raised his hand.

“Very good Frost. Now Zulu, why don’t you try again. But this time, believe I’m telling you it’s there.”

“But I do believe you.” Zulu said, a little offended by Cresselia.

“You too Ren.” Cresselia said to the Blaziken. Zulu noticed Ren always looked weird when anyone said his name. Ren closed his eyes and took a deep breathe, looking as annoyed as Zulu felt. But when he opened his eyes, a look of surprise flitted across his normally stoic face.
“Impressive.” Was all he said.

“Your turn Zulu.” Lugia said. Zulu wished he’d gone first, because now all eyes were on him. Zulu closed his eyes, thinking to himself “There is a big temple there”. He hoped that was the kind of thought he needed. When he opened his eyes, he let out a barely audible gasp of surprise.

“You made it sound farther away.” Zulu said to Cresselia.

The temple was on an island right in the middle of the bay, only about two hundred yards from the shore.

“Let’s go.” Lugia said. The Absol and – climbed onto Lugia, while Frost formed his bubble again.

“Come on Zulu.” Cresselia said, lowering herself down for him.

“You know, I think I should fly myself. Riding around on you everywhere isn’t making me any stronger.” Zulu said.

“You certainly have grown stronger though. I sense you’ve learned two new moves since we first met.” Cresselia said.

“Really? What are they? Is one of them some cool dark energy attack?”

“No. It seems you’ve learned bite and…”

Cresselia started giggling.

“What? What did I learn? Is it splash?” Zulu asked in concern.

“Please let it be anything but splash.” He silently hoped.

“No, nothing like splash. It’s Attract.”

Zulu tilted his head, trying to remember what that one did. Sensing his confusion, Cresselia decided to help out.

“If you were to use it on a female, they would instantly fall in love with you.” Cresselia explained, still giggling slightly.

“W-w-what!?” Zulu almost shouted.

“What kind of move is that? Who comes up with this stuff?” Zulu asked, blushing in embarrassment.

“Oh, it’s not so bad a move. It may just save your life one day.” Cresselia said, trying to stop laughing.

“Well I plan to use it as little as possible.” Zulu said, taking flight. Lugia had already begun flying to the island, with Moltres just behind. Zulu began rigorously flapping, trying to catch up while also trying to get his thoughts off Attract.

Cresselia had kept pace with Zulu the entire flight, which Zulu wouldn’t have minded if his flight speed hadn’t been a Slugma’s pace compared to Cresselia’s normal speed. The rest of the group was already gathered at the sealed temple door.

“What took you so long?” Moltres asked as they approached.

“Just going over some of Zulu’s moves.” Cresselia said, causing Zulu to blush again.

“These doors haven’t been opened in a while, so there’s little chance of a trap inside.” Lugia said. He braced his large fingerlike wings against the large doubles doors and shoved. With a loud groaning, the doors swung inward. Inside, the temple had been perfectly preserved from time. A large altar sat at the back with several golden statues depicting the water deities, including Lugia.

“Was I really that fat back then?” He asked, looking at the altar.

“Alright, everyone spread out. Look for a blue stone plate. It’s square though, not round.” Cresselia said.

The seven spread out around the room. Cresselia scanned the room with her psychic, Lugia inspected the alter, Ren and the absol went off checking the other side rooms that had once been used for leaving offerings and prayer, and Frost, Zulu, and Moltres checked everywhere high up they could. Thirty minutes later, the group hadn’t found anything.

“Remind me, who said the plate would be here?” Lugia asked. All eyes turned to the Absol.

“It was the best lead we had. Mortals hid the plate here at some point in the temple’s history, thinking no legendary would ever look in one of their own temples.” The Absol explained.

“Well, I don’t think it’s here.” Zulu said. Then something blue caught his eye.

“Frost, what’s that in your hand?” Zulu asked. Frost held it up.

“It’s just a piece of blue glass. I already checked, this isn’t a piece of the plate.” Frost said, tossing it from hand to hand.

“Frost, would you mind letting me see that?” Cresselia asked. Frost tossed it through his bubble to Cresselia, who caught it with her telepathy.

“This object feels familiar.” She said, trying to recall where she had felt this kind of power from an object before. Then it dawned on her.

“This… is a shard of Palkia’s artifact. It’s a shard of the Lustrous Orb.”

No sooner had she said that, the shard let off a blinding glow, which was impressive for its size. Everyone shielded their eyes, while Frost just adjusted the polarity of his bubble to work like sunglasses. The Shard rose into the air, its glow dying down.

“This temple was once used by Kyogre to regulate the pollution of the water.” An old and wise sounding voice said, the voice seeming to come from everywhere at once.

“Who is that?” Frost asked. Zulu knew the answer when he saw tears spring into Cresselia’s eyes. The voice was Palkia’s.

“Hidden in this temple lies an entrance to a relic of the ancient world, a Mystery Dungeon.” The voice continued.
“Once you make it through the Mystery Dungeon, a greater challenge lies ahead. You must traverse a labyrinth of puzzles to obtain the key to the plate room, and defeat its guardian. May the light guide you.”

The shard’s light died, and it fell to the temple floor, bouncing a few times before coming to a rest on the ground. Cresselia blinked the tears away.

“Oh! Why didn't I think of this earlier!” Lugia suddenly shouted. He walked over to the altar and grabbed it in his wings. Grunting in exertion, he began to slowly but surely lift it.

“Get clear!” He grunted as he swung the altar around. It sailed a short distance across the room, skidding to a stop near the door. Beneath where the altar had been, a staircase descended into darkness.

“A mystery dungeon. After all these years they still exist.” Moltres said, amazed.

“What’s a Mystery Dungeon?” Ren asked.

“They used to be everywhere. They sprang up spontaneously in the most normal of areas. Some Legendries even made them their homes. Like I did with Mt. Blaze…” Moltres said, looking deep in thought.

“They are strange places.” Cresselia continued.
“Only up to four may journey through one at a time. They are also teeming with traps and hostile Pokémon. But if you’re defeated in one, you’ll simply be cast out again, so death isn’t much a danger here. But from the sound of things, this guardian is past the mystery dungeon, so he could kill you. Don’t let your guard down.”

“Only four can enter at a time?” Frost asked.

“Yes. You’ll need a good team to head in there.” Lugia said.

“How about me, Absol, Ren, and Lugia?” Frost asked.

“Hey. What about me?” Zulu asked.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t see you there. Of course you can come.” Frost said apologetically.

“It’s settled then. Frost; you, Zulu, Ren, and Absol will go and retrieve the plate. I don’t know anything about any guardian, but chances are he’s a water type. You and Ren be careful.” Moltres cautioned.

“Hey, we beat Darkrai. Some water type isn’t going to beat us.” Frost said confidently.

“Good luck. We’ll guard the temple to ensure no one follows you down. Hopefully none of the New Order knows we’re here.” Cresselia says.

“We’ll make it back, and we’ll have the plate.” Ren assured.

The group of four walked to the hidden staircase and began their descent into the unknown.

58 Reviews

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:06 am
View Likes
Charizard821 says...

The flight to the Northern Plains on Articuno was long and awkward. Riley's "new companions" struck him as a little odd. One was so small and weak-looking, it was hard to believe it was a Legendary Pokémon. And the other... Flurry... Riley wasn't sure what to think of her. He couldn't hold eye contact with her for more than a brief second. As soon as he had seen her, he remembered what a Snorunt looked like. He had never thought much of them. They looked odd and sounded odder, but Riley never was one to discriminate. He just... didn't know what to think. When he had helped her onto Articuno's back, she had felt cold. So cold, that Riley felt as if he were going to freeze in place. He had felt Articuno sapping the cold energy from him to prevent the freezing of his body. He would have to remember to thank her later. The Snorunt kept asking him questions, but Riley didn't really want to answer them. Eventually though, he figured that since the ride was going to be long and drawn out anyways, he'd pay a bit more attention to the questions.

"Do you remember anything about the other world, Riley? As much as I try, nothing comes to mind."

Bad choice. The last thing Riley wanted to talk about was the other world, especially with this stranger.

"No, I don't." it came out more hostile than it was supposed to, and Riley instantly regretted it.

Flurry looked deflated now. She had completely stopped talking, and was clearly very upset. Riley felt awful. He wanted to apologize, but still felt awkward around her. He had to say something though, so he muttered a half-hearted: "Sorry."

Feeling it wasn't sufficient enough, he cleared his throat and said it a little louder.

"Sorry, Flurry."

"It's alright."

And the conversation died there. Riley hated this silence more than than the earlier conversation. For some reason, he didn't want Flurry to think him a jerk, thus, he drew in a deep breath and started the convevrsation again.

"So tell me about this Star Wars thing." he said, turning to face her and smiling, wrong as it felt.

Flurry's face lit up again and she began rambling about what she remembered of the space opera. "Well, Star Wars is... well... I don't exactly remember what it is, but it's really cool! There's epic battles and a really good story! I think the main characters used some kind of sword to fight! I believe they were called... Electroblades or something."

Riley grinned. "Sounds cool."

"It is! The characters were so well thought out!"

"If we ever go back to the old world, I'll have to check it out."

Riley was beginning to enjoy this Snorunt's company. She sounded like a lot of fun. Though she didn't show it, Articuno was silently taking notice of Riley's slow change of heart, and was smiling so they couldn't see her.

"So, I've been wondering," Flurry started, "Are you wearing a mask, or...?"

"Actually, I have no idea what these are," Riley laughed, playing with the dangling sacs on the side of his head, "They're just kind of part of my face, I guess. But they look cool! They do look cool, right?"

"They do." agreed Flurry.

"I always thought they looked more cute than anything." added Articuno.

Riley felt heat rushing to his face. In Articuno's feathers, he could see that blushing turned his face purple.

"What do you mean by that?!" Riley cried in embarrassment.

Articuno responded almost teasingly; "Oh, nothing."

After what Articuno had said, Flurry was scrutinizing his face more intently than before, which only made him blush harder. He turned away from her to stop the situation becoming any more embarrassing, but witnessed her smiling at him out of the corner of his eye.

Soon, Articuno landed in the Northern Plains. All the area's surroundings were completely demolished. Riley quickly deduced that something terrible had happened here.

"Odd." said Articuno. "There appears to be no one here, but this must be the place where the group battled Darkrai."

That made sense to Riley. This entire part of the land felt dark and depressing.

"Do you think the group left already?" asked Shaymin, who was finally speaking again.

"They may have." answered Articuno. "The village of Frostpoint is up ahead. I hate to say it, but it's getting late, and Frostpoint Village is the only place we'll find food and shelter. A storm is building in the East. Once we're at the village, I'll get in contact with Cresselia and find out where everyone is. Do you mind walking the last kilometer? I hate to say it but carrying four people across the Continent at Mach 2 really exhausts my muscles.

"Um..." Shaymin began, but was cut off by Riley.

"Don't worry about it, Articuno. You're probably beat from that flight.

"Thank you for understanding, Riley."

"But..." Shaymin tried again.

"Oh! Shaymin, that's right!" said Riley, remembering she was there. "Err.... if you'd like, I can carry you to the village?" he had felt uncomfortable lifting her earlier, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

However, she denied the help; "No way! I'm a Legendary! Just because I'm small doesn't mean I can't walk."

As she said it, she took one step forward and sank so deeply into the snow that only the grass on her back was visible.

"Is it too late to take it back?" she asked, muffled by the white fluff.

Flurry giggled as Riley pulled Shaymin out of the snow and placed her on his head.

As they trod through the powder, Riley couldn't help but feeling like his brain was on vibrate mode. Shaymin was so cold that she had started shivering uncontrollably the first ten feet into the trek. However, when asked about this, it was always the same thing;

"I-I'm fine. J-j-just don't drop m-me."

It was pretty chilly out, but for a snow covered land, they were actually pretty lucky in terms of weather. There was no blowing wind, for one, and as the sky grew darker, the stars began twinkling above.

"Trust me, it may look beautiful now," said Articuno, "but if we don't keep moving, we're all going to be popsicles in that storm."

Riley glanced back at Flurry as she slowly waddled through the snow, cursing her stubby legs all the way. She didn't look happy. Riley slowed his pace to fall equal with hers.

"Something wrong?" he asked.

"It's just... of all the things I could've been transformed into, a weird hat with stubby arms and legs wasn't at the top of my list!"

"That's a hat?" Riley asked obliviously.

Flurry shot him a look that said it all.

"Sorry." he added sheepishly.

"I don't even know if I have a face! Do I have a face?"

"I can't tell. All I see is eyes and a mouth."

"Exactly!"

"But," continued Riley, "you can't just have eyes and a mouth but no face. It doesn't make sense. You must have one! We just can't see it because of your... your..."

"Point?"

"Sure, we'll call it that."

"I just feel so clumsy and inefficient. I sound like an icicle when I speak! And what am I supposed to do with these?!"

She wiggled her arms passionately, exaggerating their shortness.

"Err, you could... give two high fives at the same time?"

"Thanks but I can think of twenty other things I would much rather be able to do with my hands."

"Well, I don't know about you, but having this yellow collar around my neck isn't exactly the greatest." he said, trying to cheer her up.

"Why don't you take it off?"

"It's so tight, I can't tell if it's attached to me or not, which would make pulling on it a bad idea. And as for this tail, I'm getting used to it, but it's so annoying!"

"Ooh..." replied Flurry, wincing, "but at least you look good for a Pokémon."

Riley narrowed one eyebrow and raised the other in confusion. Or he would have, if he'd had any eyebrows.

"Was that a compliment?"

"Oh, what?!" Flurry stammered, "No, no! I mean, yes but no! What I meant was that I don't look good at all for a Pokémon!"

"Well..." Riley began, but then noticed Shaymin had stopped shivering and was listening in on the conversation. Articuno appeared to be in no rush, either.

Riley therefore closed his mouth and didn't talk the whole rest of the way to Frostpoint Village.

24 Reviews

Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:30 am
View Likes
Robusto says...

Meanwhile, at Mt. Providence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8WlOwadRyE

Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion stood on a balcony carved into the side of Mt. Providence, illuminated both by the moonlight and several torches. The mountain had always been their preferred place of work. Assembled before them watching with devout attention was a fairly large and diverse group of Pokémon. There were experienced and battle scarred ones as well as young ones that shifted nervously in anticipation, but they all wore white and gold bandanas on some part of their body, symbolizing their allegiance to the New Order.

“My fellow comrades.” Cobalion began.

The Pokémon straightened up, giving the trio their undivided attention.

“You have all done so much for the New Order. When there were those that sought to continue the lifestyle of sitting idly by while each of you toiled in blood and grime, we brought hope to the masses. And yet, the idlers still desire their way of life to continue. And how do those self-proclaimed guardians of good plan to uphold their ideals? By enlisting the worst scum our world has to offer in their cause.”

A great fury fell upon the crowd. They roared and shouted in anger.

“The agents of the fallen Legends are cunning and cruel. Their strongest warrior, a Blaziken. He has burned homes, business’s, and even orphanages to the ground to satisfy his burning hatred for the world. Yet his fury cannot withstand your pure hearts.” Cobalion said. The crowd cheered at this.

“Their most cunning tactician, a Victini. He has squandered his gift of being painted by Arceus with his evil ways, organizing attacks of terror so vicious and horrible that even the bravest of bounty hunters will not face him. But you all are not motivated by something as frugal as money. You are all motivated by a desire for justice!”

The crowd cheered louder, a great battle cry going up.

“And their most heartless of torturers, a Noibat. Using his species natural gifts, he rips any information he can from the minds of his prisoners by torturing them with his demonic screeching, reducing them to mindless shells. But compared to our voices of truth, his screeches are but pitiful whines!”

The crowd roared for blood. The blood of the three that had been named.
“Go now warriors of justice! Find them, and do what you’ve been trained to do! Justice for all!”

Cobalion raised his front leg, in what would barely qualify as a salute. But it was enough for the gathered warriors, whose cheers echoed across the surrounding land. Cobalion, Terrakion and Verizion stepped back into the mountain from the balcony, leaving the view of the crowd, which had begun to disperse as warriors departed on their search for the Pokémon who'd been named.

“I hate giving speeches.” Cobalion said.

“You did better than me or Verizion would have done.” Terrakion said.

“And quite the speech it was. I think they actually bought all that. Though I don’t recall their crimes being so tame.” Verizion said.

“Hoopa’s were too heinous to be believable. I decided some changes were needed.” Cobalion said.

“Aww, why thank you Coby. That just makes my day. Though I was really looking forward to seeing how the younger ones in the crowd would react to my ideas.”

The three legendries snapped around to the sound of the voice.

“Hoopa! What are you doing here?” Cobalion asked.

“Not even happy to see me? That hurts me right here.” Hoopa said, reaching his arm into his chest and pulling his heart out.

“Please, put that back.” Verizion said, trying not to gag at the sight.

“Anything for a pretty girl.” He said, returning his heart to his body.

“What are you doing here? You know you can’t be seen in public.” Terrakion said.

“I was bored. Thought I’d play some games with the kids out there.” Hoopa said, twirling one of his hoops on his arms.

“You are not to touch any of our warriors!” Cobalion roared at Hoopa.

“I don’t need to touch them.” Hoopa boasted. Before any of them could react, Hoopa tossed one of his hoops towards the balcony. It sailed off through the air, passing over the head of one of the younger warriors there, a Machop. As it passed over him, the Machop vanished, leaving just a golden hoop lying on the ground, that soon floated into the air and back towards the balcony. No one had even seen it happen. The hoop flew back into Hoopa’s hand, to which he tossed it onto the ground. The Machop reappeared, collapsing into a shivering, gibbering heap on the ground.

“What did you do to him?” Verizion asked in horror.

“I showed him my playroom. Guess mortals don’t find it as fun as I do.” Hoopa laughed. Cobalion lunged at Hoopa, pinning him against the wall with his horns.

“Fix him!” Coballion ordered.

“Or what?” Hoopa asked, chuckling. Cobalion couldn’t think of a response, and so begrudgingly let Hoopa go.

“Well, sorry to split like this, but you sticks in the mud are boring.”

Hoopa took his main hoop off his waste and tossed it into the air, a portal appearing inside it. Hoopa called his smaller hoop over to him and floated into the portal, the hoop blinking out of existence. The three legendries stood there, a chill going up their spines.

“If we’re on the same side he chose, then could we have been wrong?” Terrakion asked.

“Of course not. Our side is the side of justice. We’re giving the mortals the protection they need. Now, Verizion; get this young one to the infirmary. Get him the best care you can.”

Verizion nodded, scooping the Machop up in her horns and walking back into the tunnel.

“What about Keldoa, Cobalion. What are your plans for him?” Terrakion asked.

“He chose his side. He’s the enemy now.” Cobalion said coldly, not wanting to discuss his old apprentice.

“He’s just a kid! Can’t you convince Arceus to show mercy to him?” Terrakion begged.

“I won’t test Arceus’s mercy with a request like that. I have no control over whether Keldeo lives or dies, but if you can bring him in alive, I can try and convince him to join us. Our intelligence says he still has yet to meet up with any of the resistance to offer his help to them, so he’s technically still neutral.” Cobalion said. He began to walk back into the mountain.

“If you can find him before he finds any of the resistance, then he can still be saved. If not, then he’s as good as dead.”

54 Reviews

Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:36 am
View Likes
StupidSoup says...

The four companions slowly walked down the hidden stairway. Soon, the light faded from the long stair and all was dark. In response, --- and Frost both drew up flames to illuminate the way.

While the group made their way down, --- couldn't help but wonder how this was happening. How did he become a Blaziken? A being of heat able to move with incredible speed and dexterity and cast fire from his body? Moreover, how did he even get here? In all the action that had transpired since --- first awoke he hadn't had time to let the full shock of becoming another creature sink in.

Now, the Blaziken felt as if he was in a dream, a spectator outside looking in and watching the bizarre story unfold.

Finally, the stairs ended and the group stepped out into a massive hallway. The walls were all blue yet they were spotted with moss and age. The path ahead only grew wider and once the companions reached the end of the hallway, the ceiling fell away and the walls to either side receded into the dark. Even Zulu, with his night vision, could not pierce the shadows,

As the group moved on, --- shivered. There was something about this place he didn't like. It seemed to sap his strength, leaving the fire type drained and hollow.

Thus, the group encountered their first challenge. The entire room was a labyrinth of giant blue walls that apparently led to the ceiling as Frost and Zulu could find no way over. The companions wandered for hours, their hope slowly dying as they walked in endless circles. Finally, --- stopped, sweating and panting, his stamina gone.

"---? What's wrong?" Asked Absol. Frost looked equally drained, his sphere had dwindled down to a tiny bulb, barely big enough to house the creature.

"its...the presence of Kyogre...It lingers...on the air."

And indeed it did, the room was alive with tiny particles of water, sapping heat from the two fire types.

Absol's eyes widened in concern, "We need to leave this treacherous maze otherwise I doubt these two will last much longer."

In response, Zulu cried, "We need light! That's what we're missing! How can we hope to leave if we cant see ahead of us?"

The companions stood in silence, thinking, how does one create light in the deepest shadows without the power the gods wielded?

Then, an expression of realization crossed Frost's features, he turned and pointed at the droplets, his tiny fingers trembling.

"The water...theirs....life." He said, gasping for breath.

That's when the others finally realized. There was plankton in the water, tiny life forms that lay dormant. All they needed was someone to awaken them.

"Everyone, cover your ears." growled Absol. Then, the ice wolf used roar.

The effect was instantaneous, the room lit up with a brilliant blue light that seemed to emanate from the air itself. Then, a chorus of moans answered Absol's call. A clacking sounded to the left of the group and a Kingler appeared, sputtering angrily.

The group booked it, swerving left and right, guided by the path of plankton aligned to light the path to the exit via Frost's dwindling clairvoyance. The Kingler gurgled and gave chase, calling all it's brethren to aid in the capture of these trespassers.

Suddenly, Frost's bubble vanished and the weakened Victini dropped to the ground. --- turned to grab the creature but a wave of dizziness washed over him and he staggered, barely dodging a Kingler's Aurora Beam. Zulu and Absol both turned to fend off the aggressor but --- waved them away,

"Go! We'll only drag you down! Find the plate first, then worry about us!"

Absol shouted something back his words were blown away as a Bubble Beam collided with ---'s chest, sending him spinning backwards. Lightheaded and aching, --- staggered back up and grabbed Frost by the ears and dashed away, taking one last look at Zulu and Absol and hoping this wasn't the last time he would see them.

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:32 am
View Likes
Poopsie says...

Through the dizziness and utter paralysis, Frost could only watch as Ren, the blaziken, grabbed him by the ear and twisted sluggishly to avoid an oncoming Aurora Beam. He knew he should help, but he couldn't move, couldn't do anything. For the first time since arriving in the strange world, Frost felt utterly defeated, no not even that. Useless. It made him want to cry. Just then, Ren was blindsided by a kingler. The kingler hammer armed him to the floor, then, sensing he had defeated his prey, joined the other kinglers fighting absol and Zulu. Ren fell to the floor, stunned and maybe out cold. Frost's head lolled to the right and the sight made a single tear slip from his eyes. Zulu and absol were being overpowered. Their were to many kinglers, Frost watched as Zulu barely dodged a bubble beam, but was knocked to the floor by a hydro pump spouting from the throng of kinglers.

And Frost, he had to help, he needed to help. He couldn't, no matter how weak he was, let his friends die. Suddenly, Frost felt a strange warmth seep through his limbs, warming and bringing life back to his body. Frost sprung into the air, then dived down into the Kinglers, releasing all his energy and at the same time, knocking Absol and Zulu into the next room. A white hot blast filled the hall, seconds later, the shockwave sounded across the dungeon, a low roar of pure malevolence that made the walls shake. When the blast receded, all the Kingler were gone, and Ren, was safely inside protective bubbles Frost had made just before the blast. Frost, seeing that his friend was protected smiled and mumbled

"Overheat"

Then passed out.
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:19 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Gabriel – Breaking the Ice

They had only been running for an hour, but already Xerneas and Gabriel were in the Northern Plains. When Gabriel asked how much farther the village was, he was stunned to hear “ten minutes.”

“How long can you keep this up?” Gabriel asked, worried that Xerneas was overtaxing himself.

“Slightly longer than you could,” Xerneas replied, strained.

“You mean I could run this fast and this far as well?”

“Not yet. Theoretically, a Riolu can cover a mountain and two valleys in one night, but you still need some practice. Afterwards, probably. Once you evolve, however, you could easily outdistance me.”

Gabriel looked thoughtful, but when he saw the pain on Xerneas’ face, he was truly worried. “Are you certain you’re alright? Surely you could slow a bit down.”

“It is nothing significant,” he said dismissively. “What is important is that I get you to Frostpoint before… before that storm hits.” Gabriel looked to the east, and sure enough, a blizzard was brewing. “You enjoy analysing things, so perhaps you should leave the past where it is, for now, and rather discern what other abilities you may have, or have yet to develop.”

Gabriel had been wondering about his peculiar anatomy, so he decided to leave Xerneas be until he had something useful to do other than worry. Besides, it was about time he truly started having faith in his guardian and ally.

A few minutes later, Xerneas finally began slowing down, and Gabriel found himself positively bubbling with excitement. “I finally discovered why I have these appendages,” he began, but he cut off when the great deer came skidding to a stop and collapsed on the snow. He leapt off and knelt in front of Xerneas. A look of pure agony was on the Legendary’s face. “What use is having faith in you if you die of exhaustion?” Gabriel asked angrily, rising along with Xerneas. “Come on, we’re walking until we get to the village.”

Xerneas seemed about to protest, but Gabriel gave him such a ferocious look, he bit back his response. The Riolu might be small, but his resolute expression indicated he would tolerate no defiance whatsoever.

“Very well, my young friend, you win. I shall do as you say.” Gabriel nodded, satisfied, and started towards the village once more. “So, why do you have those appendages?”

Gabriel tried to be cross, but he couldn’t stop a smile from spreading across the face. “I can read auras!”

Xerneas smiled warmly. “How did you remember that?”

“I used my interest in psychology as a thread to see what other interests I have. As it turns out, I am fascinated by the arcane and the supernatural. That’s why I originally wanted to be a Psychic.”

“Well, perhaps your transformation was not simply random. Perhaps you subconsciously chose to become a Riolu.”

“I think so too. Besides, while telepathy and telekinesis would be great, I think it’s much cooler being able to control auras. And, once I evolve, being a dual Fighting and Steel type would substantially increase my odds in a battle. Especially against Dark types.”

“And I would be most pleased to teach you; however, your safety comes first. Come a little closer.” Gabriel was dubious, but he obeyed and took a step to the left until there was only a hand’s breadth between them. “Alright, listen closely. Frostpoint Village is too strategic a location for either us or the New Order to attack, so both sides have emissaries there with the goal of converting the village to their cause. The chief of the village, though, refuses to openly support either side, since there are already some of the villagers who support the New Order, while others support us; choosing a side would lead to dissension and the destruction of the village. As a result, the village can be considered a sanctuary, where anyone from either side may stay and avoid persecution.”

“You’ve already told me that earlier.”

“Yes, but have you thought about what that implies? Where there is a lack of conflict, there is an abundance of espionage. If we simply waltz into the village, the New Order will know of your presence there before the sun rises.

“No, I wish to keep you out of their sight for as long as possible, so I am placing an illusion on us. Until we meet with my contact at the Resistance’s headquarters, we shall seem to all the world like a Sawsbuck and a Snover travelling to the only settlement in the north. Still, it would be best if you did not touch anything or speak to anyone, myself included, unless I give you permission.”

Gabriel nodded. He felt a slight tingling, which must have been the illusion settling over him. He wondered how Xerneas, a Fairy type, could do what only Psychic, Ghost and Dark types should have been able to do, but he supposed it was because he was a Legendary. After all, they were the gods if that universe, so he supposed they could do anything if they put their mind to it.

As soon as they stepped inside the palisades that surrounded the village, Gabriel started sweating. Everyone seemed to be looking at him.

“Try not to look so stressed,” Xerneas whispered from the corner of his mouth. “Act natural.”

Gabriel steeled himself and pasted a fake smile on his face. He pretended to gaze wide-eyed at the structures in the village – which, frankly, seemed more like a small town – when he was actually looking for agents of the New Order. It didn’t help much, for his paranoia made every second Pokémon seem suspicious and sinister. By the time they reached the headquarters – having three stories, it was one of the tallest buildings in the village – he was practically on the verge of having a panic attack.

Xerneas, on the other hand, was the picture of composure. He calmly nodded to the Mienshao and Gallade that stood guard beside the entrance, and gracefully entered. Gabriel risked a wave at the guards and received a warm smile from the Mienshao, but the Gallade watched him with a steely expression, as if he saw straight through the illusion. Gabriel hurriedly ran to Xerneas’ side.

They ascended several flights of stairs and strolled down numerous corridors, Gabriel feeling hopelessly lost, Xerneas confidently leading the way. Several Pokémon stopped to watch their progress, Gabriel fearing they would be exposed, but the Pokémon always shrugged after a moment and continued on their way.

Suddenly, a Smoochum came skipping around the corner and almost collided with Xerneas. “I’m so sorry, sir!” she apologised. “I didn’t see you there.”

“No worries, child,” Xerneas responded kindly. “Tell me; is your mother at her office?”

“Aha. I can take you to her, if you want.”

“That would be splendid.”

The Smoochum turned around and beckoned them to follow, hopping all the way to a door with “Commander” written on the plaque. “Mom!” she called and knocked on the door. “There’s a Sawsbuck here who wants to see you.”

“Let the darlin’ in, honey.”

The Smoochum opened the door, let Xerneas and Gabriel in, and closed the door behind them. The commander, a Jynx, rose from her desk when they entered.

“How may I help?”

Gabriel felt the same tingling as earlier, and judging by the commander’s sudden change in expression, Xerneas had removed the illusion.

“Greetings, Cassandra.”

“Xerneas, my sweetheart!” the Jynx exclaimed. “Come here and gimme a kiss!” She rushed forward, arms outstretched, and kissed Xerneas on the cheek once he had lowered his head. “And who’s this young darlin’?”

“Gabriel, this is Commander Cassandra, the head of the Resistance here in Frostpoint Village. Cassandra, this is my ward, Gabriel.”

Before Gabriel could react, she swooped down, lifted him beneath the shoulders, and planted a wet one on his forehead. After putting him down, she said, “A pleasure to meet you.”

Gabriel breathed a sigh of relief and wiped his forehead with his arm. “For a moment, I thought you were going to kiss me on the lips.”

Cassandra laughed. “Nah, I only kiss my sugars on the lips. You may be quite handsome with that natural mask o’ yours, but you have to get a little older before we can go there.” She winked mischievously at him.

Gabriel blushed. No one had ever called him handsome before.

“Gabriel, would you have a seat in the corner over there while Cassandra and I discuss matters?”

He nodded and plopped down on a chair, watching the other two converse in hushed voices. For the most part, Xerneas spoke with a grave tone, the commander listening in silence, only occasionally replying. It continued like that for a few minutes, and while Gabriel pretended to be oblivious, he knew something was horribly wrong. Therefore, when the conversation concluded and Xerneas called him over, Gabriel expected to be informed of some impending disaster, yet the Life Pokémon looked as if he hadn’t a care in the world.

“Gabriel, you will be staying here, with Cassandra, until I come back.”

“What, you’re leaving?” Gabriel asked, distressed.

“You are always fretting about me,” Xerneas joked, though not convincingly. “One would think you are my guardian, and not the other way around.”

“Maybe I would feel differently if you weren’t always telling me to stay behind somewhere,” Gabriel answered gloomily.

“Hey,” Xerneas said softly and took a step closer. The Riolu simply averted his gaze. “Gabriel, please, look at me.”

Gabriel resisted, but only for a moment. “What?”

“I shall be back soon. I only have a debt to pay, then you can have my undivided attention. You really have nothing about which to worry.”

“Promise?” Gabriel asked hopefully.

“I promise. But you have to obey whatever instructions Cassandra gives you, understand?”

“Yes, alright.”

Xerneas smiled, genuinely that time. “Good. I shall return before you even have the time to miss me.” Without a further word, he disappeared through the door.

Cassandra stepped closer and put her arm around a forlorn Gabriel’s shoulder, pulling him closer. “In all the time I’ve known him, Xerneas has never broken a promise. He’ll be back, darlin’, just you wait. C’mon, let me show you your room.” She let go and held the door open for him.

Feeling profoundly lonely, Gabriel stepped through and followed the Jynx to a room decorated with simple, yet elegant maple furniture. “It seems nice, thanks,” he said half-heartedly.

“Here’s the key to your room. The door must remain locked at all times, except when you’re entering or exiting. The bathroom’s down the hall, to the right. I’ll be bringing you your breakfast, lunch and supper at eight, one and seven every day. You may explore, if you like, but try not to leave your room too often, and stay here on the top floor; we wouldn’t want you getting in the agents’ way.”

“What am I supposed to do if I’m in here all day? It sounds terribly boring.”

“I’ll bring some books up for you tomorrow. Also, Xerneas asked me to train you so long, so I’ll be taking you down to the arena at nine every morning and six every afternoon.”

Gabriel’s eyes lit up. At least his time there wouldn’t be a total waste. “I don’t suppose there’s anyone else my age around here.”

“Nah. How old are you, anyway?”

“I… don’t know.”

“Cresselia’s dispatches told me the humans had lost their memory, but from what Xerneas has told me, you seem to be remembering the most. Maybe it will come to you, in time. However, I can make an educated guess and say you’re somewhere in your adolescence, seeing as you’re still a Riolu, but I can’t say much more than that. Although… Pokémon with only one evolution generally evolve after age sixteen, so we’ll know how old you are once you become a Lucario. You don’t seem too far away from evolving though, so it’ll probably happen any day soon.”

Cassandra left the room and locked the door behind her, returning afterwards with a plate of bread, butter, and some Chancey eggs. The meal was lovely and left Gabriel feeling a bit more cheerful.

“It’s late. You should go to sleep, darlin’.

The bed felt like the most comfortable thing in the entire world, and before Gabriel could thank Cassandra for her hospitality and kindness, he was fast asleep.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

24 Reviews

Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:43 pm
View Likes
Robusto says...

Zulu opened his eyes. He felt incredibly wet for some reason. Then he remembered, he'd been hit by one of the Kingler. Zulu sat up, groaning. The attack hadn't damaged him too bad, but left him plenty sore. Then he realized, the sound of battle was gone.

"Did we win?" He groggily asked to no one in particular.

"Frost? Ren?" The Absol called out softly, not wanting to alert the Kingler if there were any left. Zulu noticed the Absol hardly looked tired from that fight. Then again, he was an experienced fighter. Certain there were no Kingler, the Absol peared around the corner back into the hallway they had just come from.

"What?" The Absol muttered, his jaw dropping. Zulu peered around the corner as well, and was equally surprised. Small piles of ash lined the hallway, each one representing what was once a feral Kingler.

"Such power, and from one so inexperienced." The Absol praised. Zulu couldn't help but feel jealous of Frost. He'd gotten to be some super rare Pokémon that influences luck, and Ren had started off fully evolved while he was some weak bat that hadn't even scratched any of the Kingler.

Ren was walking down the hall, carrying the limp form of Frost.

"Is he ok?" Zulu asked.

"He's fine. He used some move called Overheat and incinerated all those crabs." Ren said.

"Ren, you carry Frost. Me and Zulu will make sure the paths ahead are clear while you follow." Absol said.

"Me? But what can I do? I just know Bite and Air Cutter."

"And Supersonic. If you use that wisely, we might be able to avoid some fights altogether." Absol said.

"Ok. I'll try it."

And so the group procedded through the Mystery Dungeon. Whenever Zulu saw a chance, he'd screech Supersonic at any feral Pokémon he could. If there was no opening, then Absol would just take them out in a few Night Slashes. Before long, they had reached the final floor.

"Frost should wake up once we leave the mystery dungeon. Upon exiting one, you're fully healed." The Absol said.

"That's pretty convenient." Ren said.

"You seem to know a lot about Mystery Dungeons. How old are you Absol?" Zulu asked.

"That's not important. The exit is on this floor somewhere, so let's find it. We just need to get one person through it, and our entire group will be teleported through as well."

Zulu and Absol used the same strategy as before. But Zulu felt that if all he did was Supersonic, then he wouldn't get any stronger. He wanted to fight. So when the group came across a feral Gastrodon, Zulu fired off Air Cutters instead of Supersonic.

"What are you doing?" Absol asked. The Air Cutter's hit their target, but instead of hurting the Gastrodon, the attack just enraged it. It charged forward, screeching. Absol hit it with several Night Slashes before it plowed past him. It barreled towards Ren, preparing a Take Down. But before it could hit him, Ren gave it a fierce kick with his clawed foot. The Gastrodon didn't even cry out as it collapsed, defeated by the blow.

"What is wrong with you? We had a working strategy!" Absol shouted at Zulu.

"I'm sorry. I just thought I was strong enough to take it out myself." Zulu said.

"Test your strength on your own time. We're on a mission to save this world, and it could've ended because of your mistake!"

Zulu hung his head in shame.
Absol began to walk again.
"The exit should be up ahead. Let's go."
And the exit was up ahead. But Zulu hung back to try out his Air Cutter on the Gastrodon's body. It didn't even leave a mark. Then Zulu was teleported as Absol reached the exit, taking the team on to the next half of the Palace of Tides.

54 Reviews

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:55 pm
View Likes
StupidSoup says...

In a flash of light, the team entered a surprisingly cleaner version of their previous location. The walls, still blue, had yet to be affected by age and showed no signs of moss or algae. ---jolted as Frost suddenly sat up, looking dazed.

"Wh-what happened?" He slurred, still weak but gaining energy fast.

"It seems you're a bit more powerful than you think." Replied Absol, "Although, blowing us out of help's reach was a bit reckless." He added, a grim look on his face.

The Victini sheepishly lowered his gaze and the group continued forwards. This dungeon was different; more like a grand hallway than anything, it sported enormous pillars, each representing a Legendary holding up the roof of the dungeon. Among them was Lugia, and the sight of this made --- smile and remember what he had been taught.

As the team neared the end of the hallway a door opened, shedding light upon the group as they stopped to gaze at the figure that emerged. For one, It was massive, almost as large as Lugia, and seemed to resemble an enormous turtle. From it's back, two cannons stuck out, gleaming in the light from the doorway.

Then, it spoke,

"I presume you are the trespassers?" It asked, it's voice echoing across the hall.

"We are only here to undo the treachery of Arceus," Answered Absol.

The guardian thought for a moment then replied in a scathing tone, "Yet you do this by destroying the lives of others and going were you are certainly not wanted? It growled.

"Hey! They attacked us first!" Shouted Zulu, readying himself for an Air Cutter.

"Enough!" The guardian boomed, "I will not have this conversation, prepare to be exterminated." It roared, and bought its hand up to the light to reveal a small stone, glowing with power.

A look of shock crossed Absol's face and he whispered in astonishment,

"It has a mega stone."

--- barely had time to comprehend this before an explosion of color threw the team back. The guardian was enveloped in white light and began growing, It's shell grew and a massive cannon sprouted from the guardian's back. The creatures head changed, it's jaw becoming larger and more pronounced. Finally, the guardian threw back it's head and bellowed,

"Fear me!"

And with that, it charged the trespassers.

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:44 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

Flurry

Flurry wasn't sure when or how it had all happened, but she found herself sitting with Riley in the lobby of a three-story snow fort, waiting for Articuno and Shaymin to come back from whatever hallway they'd gone into and explain what was going on.

"This is really boring," she said, kicking her feet back and forth. She turned to Riley, who wore a mask of utter discomfort. Not that his regular mask looked any different, but whatever.

"Have any ideas for what we could do to pass the time? I feel like there's a term for this, but it's not coming to me."

Riley still just looked at the ground uncomfortably. Maybe being surrounded by ice-types was damaging his self-esteem.

"I think it starts with "car." Car..." Flurry screwed up her face as much as possible. "Car... Carmen... Scheherazade!"

"Did you just sneeze?" Riley asked.

Funny as it sounded, she'd been naming something to do with dance, and she told Riley as much. "But I don't know why it popped into my head. It's like the whole Star Wars thing. I was trying to think of something else and a piece of art came out."

"I thought you said it was about dance."

Flurry had said that, but she also didn't know what she was talking about. It didn't matter. As she struggled to explain herself, Articuno and Shaymin strolled into the lobby, their faces grim.

"So what's happening?" Riley asked.

"Articuno's going to search for Xerneas," Shaymin pouted. "And she's leaving me behind. In the cold. Where I am so out of my element."

"You're probably always out of your element," Flurry said.

Though Shaymin mumbled something about a talking snow-cone next, Flurry had already moved on to "eavesdropping" on Riley and Articuno's conversation.

"So you're going to look for Xerneas because he's supposed to have the last human with him?" Riley asked.

"Right. Everyone else has reported in with Cresselia as well, though he hasn't said a word to anyone. No one has been able to contact him."

Putting a paw to his head, Riley looked at the ceiling. He squinted in that unsure, but still concerned way. "That does sound worrying. You'll come back though, right?"

"Of course I will." Articuno's face melted into an almost motherly smile before she suddenly turned back to all-business. "Now then, I believe Shaymin already knows about the rooming situation, so she'll lead the way. Good bye for now." With that, she made her way out of the fort lobby. Flurry wondered why no one reacted to seeing a giant blue, legendary bird strutting around, but declined from saying anything. It would probably ruin whatever trick Articuno was using.

Shaymin sniffled, causing both Flurry and Riley to snap their heads back towards her. "And here I was hoping to get out of this frozen dump. Let's go find the rooms." Muttering about the smell of birds, she crawled across the floor and turned down one of the hallways.

Even without looking around at all the doors like Riley was doing, Flurry could tell that the snow fort was a labirynth of rooms and hallways. Either that or Shaymin was lost; Flurry couldn't tell.

But then Riley pointed out that they'd passed the same janitorial Cinccino twice.

Shaymin turned on him, anger sparking in her eyes despite the obvious fact that grass pokemon did not work with electricity or fire. "Yeah, well maybe it moved!"

Riley put up his paws and backed away, his nose curling in alarm. "Okay, okay," he said, "I shouldn't hav-

There was a loud bonk, and Riley's face froze in shock. He stumbled forward, arms flailing, and knocked Flurry onto her point in the process. When she fell, she swore she had double vision because there were not one, but two riolus sitting on the ground, rubbing their heads.

The version that was farther away pushed himself and mumbled something, sounding similar, but not exactly like Riley. Now that Flurry thought about it, that one's fur was a little different; the blues were more saturated and the greys blacker. It was like...

The second riolu widened his eyes as the situation dawned on him. Then he took a sharp breath and spoke.

"Oh my gosh, are you two both okay? I am so, so sorry I ran into you. I must not have been paying attention. Yes, that's it. It had been diverted to something else that was rather pressing." He scurried towards Flurry first, whispering under his breath as he offered a helping hand.

"You may want to try using my head," she advised, sticking out her knobby hands. "My grip isn't very good."

The riolu's face stretched as though he was raising his nonexistent eyebrows, and he raced around to her top end. When his paws reached around her hat, she swore the fur was so soft he must have brushed it every day. It was either that, or he only grew an undercoat, with nothing thicker to break the wind.

If anyone asked Flurry, she thought that was a bad idea.

Riley had managed to stand up before Flurry, and now he ran to her side. "Are you all right? No injuries? I'm really sorry I knocked you over. I should have seen him coming." The stare Riley sent the other riolu afterwards made Flurry feel mildly uncomfortable.

"Are you sure you're not injured?" she asked. "Maybe you hit your head."

As Riley opened his mouth to answer though, the other riolu let out a snort. Then his face turned purple and he snorted again.

"I'm sorry!" he squeaked. "I just noticed something intriguing and since I looked into psychology a lot in the past it seemed really obvious to me. Though to be honest, there also seems to be a strong resemblance to popular media, and my apologies, but can you please not stand so close? I'm afraid I'm not entirely comfortable with such close-quarters from a stranger."

Even though she wasn't an aura pokemon, Flurry could feel the pressure of an oncoming fight. Riley and the new riolu were practically nose-to-nose, staring each other down. Slowly, so as not to disrupt them, she backed herself towards Shaymin and leaned over.

"Boys," she whispered.

Shaymin nodded knowingly. "I know, but at the same time, I kind of want to see them brawl."

To be honest, Flurry thought Shaymin had an excellent point. (No pun intended.)
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

24 Reviews

Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:04 am
View Likes
Robusto says...

Spoiler! :
Water Guardian Battle Theme

phpBB [media]

Absol immediately ran to meet the charge, ice covering his body. The two collided, ice shard flying everywhere. Frost brought a shield up while Ren covered himself in flames, vaporizing the ice. And yet despite the fact that the Guardian hadn't even used an attack, Absol was pushed back by the sheer force he had. The guardian smirked.

"You plan to defeat Arceus, yet you cannot even defeat me." He said. The Guardian cocked his wrists, and cannons extended out of his wrists.

"Get clear!" Absol shouted. The Blastoise unleashed three Hydro Cannons all at once. He fired his two wrist ones at Ren and Zulu, while his center one was fired at Absol. Ren agilely leapt out of the way of his, and Absol countered his with more ice. Zulu however wasn't so lucky, and the ultimate water move hit him full on. He slammed into the back wall, falling unconscious.

"Zulu!" Frost shouted, forming a protective shield around him. Frost then flew into the fight, bombarding the Guardian with psychic energy. But he seemsed to just shrug off anything thrown at him. He blindly fired more Hydro Cannon's around him, hoping to get a lucky blow. Absol kept leaping at him, slicing him with Night Slash, and then retreating before the Guardian could counter attack.

"I have devoted my life to protect this plate. My friends and family withered and died while I stayed here to protect this sacred gift. What conviction have you to take it from me?"

The Guardian pulled all his limbs into his shell and began spinning at an incredible speed.

"Watch out! Rapid Spin!" Absol called out.

Frost was safe, being able to levitate. Or so he thought. As the Guardian zoomed after Absol, he suddenly changed course and went zooming in Frost's direction. Which would have been fine, but the guardian was somehow able to propel his shell into the air, colliding with Frost's bubble. The bubble of energy popped, sending Frost falling towards the ground. He was able to slow his descent, but not by much. He hit the ground, dazed. The Guardian slowed his spinning, his limbs popping out of the shell holes followed by his cannons. He aimed all three at Frost. Just before he fired, Absol and Ren leapt in the Guardians path, launching their own energy attacks. Fire, Ice, and water met in the middle, creating a mixture of energy. But despite it being two on one, the Guardian's attack had three sources, and was slowly pushing them back.

"I regret doing this, but the plate is not meant for you." The Guardian said.

Zulu woke up, dazed. That was getting to be a common occurrence for him. But something felt different. His chest felt weird, like he'd eaten something spicy. His vision pulsed red, making the bubble around him seem even redder.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t see you there. Of course you can come.”

Zulu clutched his head. What was wrong with him.

"Such power, and from one so inexperienced."

Zulu moaned. He felt... angry.

"We're on a mission to save this world, and it could've ended because of your mistake!"

"Then no more mistakes."

Zulu felt the weird feeling move into his throat. He couldn't contain it, and so opened his mouth. A blast of pure Draconian energy shot out of his mouth. It blasted through Frost's protective bubble and continued on to hit the Guardian in the side of his shell. The attack knocked him aside, causing the duel of powers to break. Zulu took flight and opened his mouth again. He fired the beam at the Guardian before he could recover while also flinging Air Cutters. But they weren't the same small wisps of air elemental energy anymore. They had doubled in size, causing more damage than before. The Guardian tried to take aim with his cannons, but the onslaught of energy proved too much. Once Zulu thought it was enough, he stopped his attack. He felt extremely lightheaded from... whatever had happened.

"You have... quite a bit of power." The Guardian choked.
"Here... take it."

The Guardian held out his claw. A blue plate materialized in his hand.

"But be wary. Having such power has consequences. Your enemies will no longer overlook you. our friends will count on you. Can you rise to their expectations?"

Zulu nodded, trying to fight off the sudden urge to sleep. The Guardian nodded, chuckling.

"I can return to my family at last..."

The Guardian's body began to solidify, turning to stone. Before long, his entire body had petrified, leaving the blue plate hovering in his hand.

"Zulu? What was that?" Frost asked. Absol laughed heartily.

"That, Frost, was Dragon Pulse." Absol said.

"Dragon Pulse? Can't only Dragon's use that?' Zulu asked.

"Yes. You are a Dragon type after all." Absol said.

"I thought... I was just a flying type."

"No. You have Dragon blood in you, no doubt about it. That Dragon Pulse coupled with your special ability; he didn't stand a chance."

"What's a special ability?" Ren asked.

"Everyone has one. Mine allows me to sense danger. Frost's increases the unknowable force of luck, and yours, Ren, makes your attacks stronger the more tired you get. Zulu's is Infiltrator, which allows his attacks to bypass enemy defenses."

"Wow. That's... cool..." Zulu said, feeling really tired.

"And now Zulu, the time has come. Retrieve the Plate."

Zulu waddled over to the Guardian's petrified body. He remembered what he had said to him. And he meant his response. Zulu grabbed the plate in his claws. A sudden calmness came over him, as if on a relaxing beach.

Plate of Water Acquired

"Yay... got it..."
Zulu fell backwards off the Guardian's hand, landing softly on the ground. He was snoring when Ren picked him up, and when the plate teleported out of the dungeon. He dreamed that he was a dragon, soaring through the sky. Blasting anyone that threatened his friends.

58 Reviews

Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:19 pm
View Likes
Charizard821 says...

Riley had been staring into this Pokémon's eyes for what had seemed like an hour. Looing straight on at someone for this long had never made Riley happy, and the fiery yet collected look in the other Riolu's eyes wasn't helping. Despite all this, Riley wouldn't back down. Perhaps it was out of pride, or maybe it was the fact that Flurry was standing there watching him. Whatever the case, Riley simply stood there. Neither of the Pokémon knew it yet, but their opponent standing opposite them was not an eager fighter. Therefore, the two of them continued to take the careful approach. Riley would avoid a fight if he could, but if this stranger tried to hurt him or Flurry in any way...

Riley heard Shaymin mumble something about not having all day, but his attention returned to his adversary when he finally spoke;

"As much as I hate repeating myself, you obviously did not hear me the first time. Will you please back up?" he uttered the last two words as if they were threats, but crazy as it was, Riley was not scared of him. Being another Riolu, Riley felt as if he already knew the ins and outs of this Pokémon, and so he continued to stand there, defiant as a Leavanny defending it's child.

"Are you looking to start something?" asked the stranger.

"You knocked me over."

"We already addressed that I was an accident. Perhaps if you had been more carefu-"

"You hit me! Not the other way around."

"Oh please, do you honestly think I'd waste my breath bumping into a five cent version of a Riolu like you?"

"What did you just call me?"

"You heard me. If you had any strength or pride whatsoever, you would have already struck out. However, I can clearly see you're all bark and no bite, and if you don't get out of my way, I'll make you move."

This Riolu was surprisingly accurate in his assumptions. Whether it was in his best interest or not, though, Riley stood firm.

"Very well." The Riolu said before launching a lightning quick jab directly at Riley's head. However, it was stopped halfway to it's target, and when Riley gazed at his opponent once more, the Riolu wore a look of pure shock.

Suspended in front of them, was Riley's hand enclosed around his opponent's fist. He had stopped the attack short with a left-handed block! Riley was equally surprised as his opponent, as the reflex had been involuntary. Something he had simply reacted to in a vision that had trigged moments ago. Despite his shock, however, Riley held a glare that could double as a Leer had anyone been judging. Nobody moved. Nobody spoke. Flurry and Shaymin held their breath as their eyes darted between the two.

The stranger was the first to speak, recovering from the initial shock of the sudden move. "Right." he said, freeing his hand, "you clearly think you're something special. If you're not as big a loser as I think you are, you'll show up at the village arena in half an hour. You do know where it is, right?"

"Do you?"

"Touché. However it obviously can't be hard to find. A giant arena in a small village will present itself quite quickly."

As the stranger walked by Flurry, he uttered: "So sorry you had to see that." and sauntered off.

Riley couldn't have said why, but he let something escape his throat. It sounded like the low growl of a German Shepherd.

Flurry and Shaymin glanced at each other before Shaymin said: "Oh, look at that! We're right outside our rooms, too! There's one and here's the other! Finally, I can get warm! Shaymin ran into one of the rooms, locking the door behind her.

Flurry realized the problem before Riley did.

"Wait! What about me?"

Shaymin could be heard on the other side of the door calling back: "What about you? There's only one bed in this room, and I need my privacy! Use the other one!"

Flurry's expression was pure terror as she leaned against the door.

"What's the problem?" asked Riley.

"Riley, listen closely. Two rooms. Three Pokémon. Shaymin took the room with one bed."

Riley's eyes widened in equal horror as he realized the dilemma. He began banging on Shaymin's door with his fist.

"Come on, Shaymin, let me sleep in there! Please!"

"No! I couldn't share a room with either of you! Flurry's too chatty and you... well... you smell funny! Kind of like a dog!"

Riley narrowed his eyes thoughtfully.

"Do I smell like a dog?" he asked Flurry. However, Flurry was already in the other room, pacing.

"Ohh no. Oh no, oh no, oh no. This is never going to work!"

There were two beds on opposite sides of the comfortably maple-furnished room. The problem was, there was nothing in between to divide the room in two.

Riley and Flurry looked at each other in equal dismay.

Ten minutes later, the janitorial Cincinno was in the room, hanging a large drape across the ceiling and muttering extremely unkind things. It wasn't perfect, but at least it'd offer the two Pokémon some privacy.

"There." said the Cincinno, finishing with the drape.

"I can't thank you enough." said Flurry, bowing her head in way of thanks.

"Sure you can." he replied, holding out his paw. It was clear he desired some form of compensation.

"I'm sorry, but I have nothing to offer you. Can we call it a favour?"

The Cincinno simply turned and walked out the door muttering: "Freeloaders."

Riley and Flurry looked at each other uneasily. It was going to be a long night.

---

Riley was soon standing in a large arena, sunken into the ground in the middle of Frostpoint Village.

"Well at least the storm won't be bothering us down here." he said under his breath.

There were ten rows of stands for the crowd to sit in that encircled the wide space. The whole arena could likely seat two thousand Pokémon, but at the moment, it only held two; Flurry and Shaymin. Flurry was looking nervous while Shaymin looked excited and ready to pounce. The arena was drawing a vague memory in the back of Riley's mind, as it seemed like something familiar to the other world. He didn't dwell on it too much though, as his opponent from across the stadium appeared to be already analyzing him.

"It's not too late to back down!" yelled Riley, buying some time.

"Why? Are you afraid?" he called back.

"Yes, afraid for your face, as it won't be the same when I'm done with it!"

"Such strong words for a mere copy. Your tricks don't fool me. You're clearly terrified. Why else would you have asked for me to back out, if not for protecting your pride?"

Riley was sick of this guy. It wasn't that he was wrong, he was simply so annoying. He needed some sense knocked into him.

"I'll teach you not to say everything that comes to your mind!" he yelled, before lunging at the Pokémon.

He began with a Quick Attack, his intention to end this before it could begin, but his adversary was equally quick on the draw. He jumped into the air and Riley's punch struck the space he had just left vacant. He then dived down to the ground to kick Riley in the side of the face with a Quick Attack of his own. Riley tried to dodge but his foe was significantly faster than him. His foot impacted Riley's face and sent him flying backwards. He landed on his back twenty feet away from his opponent. Shaymin cheered as Flurry gasped. The pain that coursed through his body was noteworthy, but Riley still managed to get to his feet, groaning the whole time. He couldn't take another hit like that.

"He's way faster than me." he mumbled, "I can't win this fight with brute force. I'll have to take a tactical approach."

And so, Riley closed his eyes, and focused on his target. After having it happen twice by accident, Riley had learned how to control his foresight. Foresight. That's what the move was called. Riley knew Foresight.

Through Foresight, Riley could see his adversary propel forward and deliver a right hook to the head that would surely finish him. His eyes opened, and he immediately ducked under the swing of his opponent. Before the Pokémon could react, Riley swung around his opponent and kicked him between the shoulder blades, sending him sprawling in the light snow that had accumulated on the floor of the arena. Shaymin was once again cheering, but Flurry appeared to be shocked. She clearly hadn't expected Riley to have any power, whatsoever.

"That move." sputtered the downed 'Mon, "That's Counter! But there's no way he could have predicted my move without..."

He shakily got to his feet and looked back at Riley. There was something flaring in his eyes that looked like jealousy mixed with rage, and while intimidating, Riley knew he could beat his opponent now, and thus showed no fear. Riley ran at the Riolu again, but this time, he had a plan in mind. He jumped in the air before reaching his opponent, and as predicted, the other Riolu jumped as well, assuming that Riley was attacking the same way as before.

When they were both in the air, his adversary attempted a futile punch, but Riley Countered by lowered his head and wrapping his arms around the Pokémon's torso, bringing him to the ground in a tackle position. They collided with the floor of the arena, sending snow and dust everywhere. Flurry was on her feet, mouth agape while Shaymin said and did nothing.

When the particles cleared, both Riolu were lying on the ground, bruised and moaning.

"What?!" Shaymin blurted out. "Why is Riley on the ground?! He clearly had that guy done for!"

"He's inexperienced." muttered Flurry. "He must have hurt himself in the fall."

Riley soon learned that he also knew the move Endure as he dizzily rose to his feet a moment later. Unfortunately for him, so did the other Riolu, and he did the same. Too tough for their own good, they both attempted a weak blow at the other's head, but fell to the ground in pain before either fist could connect. Flurry jumped the rail and barely landed on her feet in the arena. She ran to Riley's side immediately, extreme concern playing on her face. Shaymin wore a guilty expression, as if this were all her fault.

"Riley, are you okay?" asked Flurry desperately. She was about to lift his head, but then thought of something and withdrew her snowball shaped hands.

"Back up!" yelled a stern voice, and Flurry obeyed. A Jynx came marching into the arena and picked up both Pokémon, draping them over her shoulder and moving towards the exit, the ever worrying Flurry and guilty Shaymin on her heels.

"When we get back," breathed the Jynx through gritted teeth, "you two will have a lot of explaining to do." she shook her head in disgust, "Endangering the cause. And to think you're both teammates!"

"Teammates?!" shouted Flurry and Shaymin in shock.

---

Yvetal had only just returned to the New Order stronghold in the Land of the Dead, when Dialga marched up to him in a huff.

"Yveltal!" he said, nearly shouting at him, "I heard you've been out hunting for humans of The Resistance. With any luck, you've had more success than I."

"Nothing." replied the dark bird, "Not a single human to be found!"

"Well, I found one! Oh yes, I found one, but the mangy dog and his friend, the Baby Blue Canary got away."

"Baby Blue Canary?"

"You know who I mean. That wretch Articuno."

Yveltal froze.

"Articuno?"

"Yes, her. She was at The Greatwood Jungle with a puny Riolu in her company. A member of the Resistance!"

Yveltal thought for a moment. To Dialga, he appeared troubled by something.

"This... is unexpected news. What are you going to do?"

"I'm heading back out to look for them. They were headed north last I saw them, so that's where I'll set my sights."

"Yes, very good." said Yveltal distractedly.

Dialga gave a "humph" of indignation and turned to leave, but spotted something colourful out of the corner of his eye.

"What are you holding?" he asked Yveltal suspiciously.

Closing his tail around the object firmly he said; "That's none of your concern."

"Is that... a Heart Lotus?"

Yveltal did not respond, but held a defiant gaze.

Dialga considered something and proceeded to ask: "Say, Yveltal, exactly where did you search for humans today? The Marsh of Light, perhaps?"

"What of it?"

"Oh, well nothing really. Only that the Marsh of Light is the closest area to the north of Greatwood."

"What's your point?" Yveltal was progressively becoming more and more defensive.

"Are you sure you didn't run into anyone today? Maybe Articuno?"

"I most certainly did not! Had I though, I would have torn her to shreds!"

"Then explain the Lotus."

"Well, I thought it looked nice when I found it today, so I kept it."

"You, the destruction Pokémon, the one who saps all life from around it when it dies, brought a purple flower back to The Land of the Dead because it looked nice?"

Yveltal simply nodded.

"You wouldn't lie to me, would you Yveltal?"

"Never."

"And you do understand how this New Order functions, yes?"

"Absolutely."

"Then you should know that love between Legendaries in any way shape or form is treason to our cause."

"Of course I do! Why are you asking me these pointless questions?"

"Simply because I recall you once having somewhat of a crush on our little blue jay, Articuno, and I wouldn't put it past you, after all these years of longing, to protect her from our cause."

"How dare you?! You and I both know that I've devoted my life to the New Order and would never defy it!"

"Good. Then you'll have no problem hearing that when I find that bird, I'm going to tear her wings off and break her beak, after I gut her little dog, of course!"

Yveltal gulped and said: "Not at all."

Satisfied, Dialga nodded and left to search for Articuno.

Yveltal turned and gazed out into the vast expanse of The Land of the Dead. Glancing down at the Heart Lotus in his palm, he muttered to himself: "Dialga's wrong. Articuno didn't have a human with her! If she had, I would have..."

But Yveltal didn't finish the sentence, as he was unsure of what he would have done. He also couldn't help but remind himself of the extremely tall grass in the Marsh of Light, which could conceal even a Girafarig should Articuno have desired.

"If she did indeed have a human with her, it would explain her sudden change of heart. She was buying time!" He threw the Heart Lotus away in anger, and watched its slow descent into blackness. "One way or another though, I can't allow Dialga to hurt her. I would never be able to cope with the thought."

Yveltal stared once more out into the void of darkness before him.

"I have to find her before Dialga." With that, he took off into the air and towards the North. However, as hard as he tried, he couldn't stop himself from wondering what he would do once he reached his love interest. Truth be told, he had no idea.
Last edited by Charizard821 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Writing is like love: the real thing is a lot less romantic
— dragonfphoenix