z

Young Writers Society

Autumn's Beginning, Autumn's Breeze

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:33 am
Maybe says...

Nathaniel-

I entered the dark room and lit a small light that floated around my head. At my command, it zipped over to the nearest bed.

"Empty." i muttered. The light went to the next bed. Davnix lay asleep.

"So he's been 'effected," i murmured.

Next bed was occupied too, this time by a girl. I didn't recognize her, so i sent the light to the fourth bed. Another person lay there, but it was not Natan. Max, i thought his name was.

I looked around the room but saw no other beds. No shadows seemed out of place. So then where was...

"Looking for something?" i cold voice behind me whispered. Suddenly another light flared into existence, this one glimmering red. Natan's face was illuminated, though i knew instantly it was not Natan that talked.

"Yes, I am looking for my son." i answered calmly.

Natan...or rather Natan's body bowed. "Well, here i am."

Riley-

Ariana's punch hit me hard, sending me reeling backwards to land hard on the ground. But her aim was slightly off, so i was only left on the ground, dazed, for a few moments. I shook my head roughly and stumbled to my feet.

I could see nothing out of my left eye, and my right one was badly blurred. But impaired vision would not stop me from finding Ariana, who i knew was in grave, grave danger.

Thinking nothing of my own life, i started over the ridge, calling Ariana's name hoarsely.
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:39 am
Alice says...

Ariana

I heard Riley call my name horsely, and I started to cry.

"Come," Acrata said to me, "we shall leave before he gets here."

I walked over into his widespread arms and let him embrace me. I felt only the slightest grab at my ankle before we vanished.
I just lost the game.

116 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:45 am
Maybe says...

Riley-

I saw Ariana, or a blurry shape that looked like Ariana, walk into another creature's arms. Just as i saw their forms begin to slowly fade, i lurched forward weakly and caught hold of Ariana's ankle.

I would not let her go, no matter what.
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

270 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:51 am
Alice says...

Ariana

My feet hit the ground hard and whoever was holding my ankle let go. I looked down and saw with horror that it was Riley.

"Riley!" she shreiked, "why are you here?"

"I'm not letting you go," he said stubbornly.
I just lost the game.

116 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:02 am
Maybe says...

Riley-

I staggered to my feet weakly, reaching out my hand to clasp her shoulder. She drew away.

"Please, Riley, just go." she sobbed brokenly. "I don't want to see you die."

"No, Riley, stay." a voice whispered nearby.

"Ariana who is that?" i asked, turning about widely.

"I told you to go..." she began to cry harder.

I took a step towards the sound of her voice, but ended up falling to my hands and knees as something hits the back of my knees. I felt Ariana fall beside me.

"Ariana, why is it so dark?" i asked frantically, opening my eyes as wide as they'll go. Still only blackness swims around me.

"Riley..." Ariana sobs harder than i can remember ever hearing her cry. "Riley...it's as...bright as...day...I told...you to...go..."

270 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:10 am
Alice says...

Ariana

"Stop it!" I screamed at Acarta, starting to sob, "please..let...him...go."

"It is too late for that m'dear. He shall stay here, and instead of seeing your misery, he shall hear your screams."

Panic roared up through me.

"Please, just let him go."

A fist connected with my face and knocked me out cold.
I just lost the game.

116 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:20 am
Maybe says...

*I'm going to be switching to present tense. The book i'm reading is in present tense, so it's been throwing me off. I give up.*

Riley-

I hear the words whispered from the mouth of Ariana's tormentor and instantly a cold fear shoots through my body.

Instead of seeing your misery, he shall hear your screams...

"No!" i roar, jumping to my feet and drawing my dagger from my belt. Just them a hear the sickening sound of flesh colliding roughly with flesh. Ariana's scream is cut short.

"NO!" i roar again, lunging blindly with my dagger towards the sound of the unseen tormentor's breathing. My dagger glances it off his side, but i do manage to cut him in the side. I can tell because of the grunt of pain the the blood that i feel drip onto my hand.

Then i lose track of everything as something comes down on my own head, knocking me out as well. Two thoughts struggle for dominance as unconsciousness creeps up on me.

If he hurts her, he will die, i swear...

I hope the others hurry.

270 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:33 am
Alice says...

Ariana

I wake sometime later wondering where I am. But even before I open my eyes I remember where I am. Then I decide it would be a good idea and I pry my eyes open. The first thing I see is Acarta's face.

I jam my eyes shut again, but I felt them forcibly pried open.

"Good morning love," Acarta said with mocking sweetness.

"Where's Riley?" I demanded.

"He's near," he assurs me.

"Where?!!"

"Over there," he pointed to behind me, "go see him if you wish."
I just lost the game.

116 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:43 am
Maybe says...

Riley-

Riley!? Riley!? Wake up!

I groan quietly, conscious of a dull throbbing in my head. I try to roll away, but someone had hold of my shoulders, keeping me in place.

"Riley! Riley, please, wake up!"

It is then that i realize that i am not dreaming. Not anymore. The feeling of fear and panic grow inside of me.

"Ariana..." i moan weakly.

She sobs quietly in relief. "Riley!"

I open my eyes, but only more blackness greets me.

"Ariana...why can't i see...?" i asked quietly, my voice no more than the whisper of a whisper.

270 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:48 am
Alice says...

Ariana

I press myself to Riley and instinctively his wings come around me. I feel safe again. "It was Acarata, he did it. He thought it would be funnier for you to hear everything and see nothing. Trapped by your own lack of vision."
I just lost the game.

116 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:55 am
Maybe says...

Riley-

I turn my head in the direction of her voice. "And Acarata is the one who has been haunting your dreams for all these years?" i ask quietly.

I can feel her nod. "Yes."

"So he is a demon?"

Again: "Yes."

I sigh. "Is there any way to kill him?" i whisper softly.

"No. Not alone."

"Then we'll just have to wait for the others. Your uncle is on his way."

After a moment, i hear her voice again. "Really?"

I nod. "Yes. He and Val, Isabella and Trent are coming."

270 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:06 am
Alice says...

Ariana

My heart leaps out of my chest and I faintly breathe the word "no!"

I feel a hand run through my hair, and I know its not Riley's. The hand grabs a fistful of my hair and yanks me away. I cry out in pain and grab for the hand holding my hair. I feel as if my entire skull is about to explode.

He pulls harder and I cry out again.
I just lost the game.

116 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:25 am
Maybe says...

Riley-

I hear Ariana's shrieks of pain. Each one spears through my heart like a poisoned dagger.

"Ariana!" i cry, trying to get to my feet. I am still too weak and end up collapsing to the floor of the cave (or at least I think that's where I am) sobbing.

"Ariana! No!"

But her screams grow weaker and fainter. I know the demon is dragging her father into the chill cave, but i am unable to follow. The knowledge that i can do nothing to save my one and only love races through me, stealing away my breath and all feeling. I sink to the ground and lay there, paralyzed, feeling tears running from my unseeing eyes.

Nathaniel-

I regard Natan's body coldly. "What did you do to my son?"

"What do you mean? I am Natan."

"I am not stupid." i say, snapping my fingers. Natan's body is forced against the wall, unable to move. I approach him and lay my fingertips on his feverish forehead.

Natan?

Father? comes the weak reply.

Natan, tell me what happened.

I don't know! I was fine one second, the next this...this thing had taken over! Father, help, please!

I will. i promise before opening my eyes, staring into his. Anger flared and his hand comes up to punch me in the gut. It stops halfway, coming into contact with my shield. I smile, and lay my hand on his chest. I murmur words that come almost naturally. Natan's body goes limp.

"Bet you never thought of that," i mutter. My hand still on his chest, i whisper a more complex string of words, applying slight pressure to Natan's chest. After a moment, i move my hand away and move over to repeat the same process with Davnix and the other two.

Finally, i slumped, exhausted, into one of the chairs.

"I'm getting too old for this. I should've summoned help..." i mutter to myself.

"You know, talking to yourself is a form of insanity." i calm, familar voice says from beside the door. I look to see Natan getting to his feet.

"Is the demon gone?" i ask.

He nods. "If that was what it was, then yes, it is gone. Thank you."

I wave my hand vaguely. "We will wait for the others to wake before going to help the rest of them."

"What's going on?"

"Ariana has run back to the demon who kidnapped her all those years ago. Though for what reason i have no idea. It is a mystery to me. The rest of them have gone to find and help her." i explain.

270 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:10 pm
Alice says...

Ariana

My heart is racing, and it feels as if it is about to burst out of its chest. I desperatly cling to the memory of Riley's arms tight around me and his wings keeping me warm. But it only makes the reality of the demon harsher.

Finally he tires and I am thrown against a wall, "foolish girl," he scolds, "you belong to me."

"I...belong...to...no one," I manage to gasp, a hand comes across my face, but my entire body has gone numb. Nothing he can do would give me pain now.

"I paid for you!"

I looked up into his eyes, yellow and feverish, "I was never property to be paid for."

"Don't taunt me!"

My glare turns harsher, I forget that my life is in danger, all I think is I want to piss him off. "You can't do anything," I say, "you can only try to make me fear you."

Pain fills me, it feels like I am on fire. But I do not move. What was there to be afraid of? The demon of my dreams, in person not two feet away, and the angel of my nightmares somewhere inside the cave, needing my help.The pain doubles and I cannot contain it anymore. I let out a loud, ear shattering scream.

It is then that I hear rocks falling in the direction we hadn't come from. It was caving in.
I just lost the game.

116 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:19 pm
Maybe says...

Riley-

I hear Ariana's scream echoing from deep within the cave. Following that the the dim sound of an avalanche, father away than Ariana's scream. I recognize the sound as rocks crumbling and falling.

At least now they have no where to go. My hope rise as I stumble again to my feet, wondering if my blindness really is the demons work or if it could possible be for real...

Clutching the cold, slimy wall of the cave, i slowly begin to make my way towards Ariana.

I am and always will be optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams.
— 11th Doctor