z

Young Writers Society

Blind River

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:37 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Grif, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 300/300, Gold: 120g (74 XP until next level)

"Before we continue, I think it would be best if we found out who everyone is, and what they're doing here. I'm Grif and I just woke up by the river. I am a stranger in this land and have no notion how far my home is from here," Grif said.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:11 pm
Rydia says...

Raven, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 340/340, Gold: 0. Capacity: 87.5/89 (Experience to next level: 70)

Raven wasn't sure where the 'we' came from, they were hardly a group afterall. She didn't know them. Half an hour ago she'd never seen them in her life and as far as she was concerned there was no we. The girl was a mage though. The girl with hair like fine spun gold who she didn't dare speak back to.

"I don't even know why I'm here," Raven said in a surly tone before letting out a soft sigh and shaking her head. "The name's Raven. I have a small hut- somewhere." The map was completely unfamiliar to her though. She'd hoped that there would be recogniseable landmarks or towns she knew or anything. But none of it was right. Not the names of the towns or the lay of the land or anything.

With a pen she'd found in her pack, Raven marked on the place where the orb had been found and the spot they were currently at. There. Two locations that were vaguely familiar. And she was going to that wagon. If the rest of the group decided to do something else then that was fair enough by her but Raven was going to take the orb up to the wagon and have a look around. It seemed the right thing to do. It was also the only idea she had other than vague notions of finding a sorc- a mage and making them send her back wherever she had come from. That was a scary idea though. Maybe this land was okay, nice land. Pretty land. Her hut hadn't been so big anyway so she could just start again here. Forget the hut. Never mind the hut. Anything was better than getting involved with magic.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:01 pm
Light_Devil! says...

Spoiler! :
Forgive me, my children! ^^" I get mixed up sometimes. I'll correct in a moment. And then repost them. Plus, I realised I didn't have the capacities correct. ;)
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

A computer once beat me at chess. It was no match for me at kick boxing.

"I wish Homer was my father," - Ned's son.
"And I wish you didn't have Satan's curly red hair," - Ned Flanders.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:44 am
Laminated says...

Spoiler! :
Whoa... didn't even notice. And cool:)

Eleven, Lvl. 3; Health: 300/300, Mana: 304/304, Stamina: 340/340, Gold: 100g, (Experience to next level - 67 XP)

Ah. It was a good idea, Eleven supposed, actually knowing eachother's names. It just felt uncomfortable, a bit weird. Some big things had happened with these people and she didn't know who they were.

"Right. I'm Eleven. Not really sure where I'm from. I think I should remember things, but I don't. By the river over there," she motioned back, "That was the first I can think back to."
I'M GUNNA MAKE DIS PLACE YO HOME

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:14 pm
Redfang18 says...

Declan, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 340/340, Gold: 85g
(Experience to next level: 67)

Hearing everyone else speak to one another reminded Declan that he was among others. He turned around to face the others and said, "Declan Runestone is my name." He shyly removed his hood, showing his face. He figured that since he was among those who could be his friends, he might as well show them his face. He touched the scar on his cheek. "I don't remember how I got this, but I guess I'll have to explore this place with you guys to refresh my memory. I might put my hood back on from time to time, so don't mind me when I do that."
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

73 Reviews

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:45 pm
Light_Devil! says...

Spoiler! :
Just a quick note. You can remember your own life previous to Blind River. The only thing you can't remember is how you got to Blind River. XD
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:08 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Grif, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 300/300, Gold: 120g (74 XP until next level)

"I bet that girl that got caught in the orb was no different from the rest of us," Grif said softly. "She probably just woke up on the river bank just like the rest of us. She probably had family and friends who have no idea where she is. I feel we have all been brought together to achieve something greater than what we might achieve by ourselves. If that's the case, then we'll need everyone back to normal." Grif moved to face Raven.

"I'm going to that wagon. If you want to find out why we're here and how to restore our companion, you're welcome to come with me. But if not, then I'll need the orb and her equipment for when she is restored," Grif said sternly.

38 Reviews

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:31 pm
Laminated says...

Spoiler! :
Right. In that case, Eleven's from the equivalent of our Renaissance Period in another world a lot like Earth. I think they should share stories later.

Eleven, Lvl. 3; Health: 300/300, Mana: 304/304, Stamina: 340/340, Gold: 100g, (Experience to next level - 67 XP)

"Ach. Fine." The man had a good point. "I'll come to the wagon," plus, Eleven was a little freaked out of the jittery black-haired girl who wasn't going to the wagon.

Also, Eleven didn't want to be alone.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:40 pm
Redfang18 says...

Declan, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 340/340, Gold: 85g
(Experience to next level: 67)

Declan thought it over, then nodded. "I'll come with. Only heaven knows what will happen that might be in my calibre. Who knows? Maybe we might learn about each other besides names." He waited for the others to speak up.
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

38 Reviews

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:22 am
Laminated says...

Eleven turned to the other girl. "Just you then. You coming or going?"

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:57 am
Rydia says...

Raven, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 340/340, Gold: 0. Capacity: 87.5/89 (Experience to next level: 70)

"Like you could carry it," Raven said as she glowered at the slim man, feeling put out by his fancy speech and apparent conscience. The way he put it, it was like he was suggesting that she was the one who couldn't be trusted and Raven didn't like the way he was talking down to her. Just because she wasn't educated like some people!

Of course then all the others decided it would be a good idea to go up to the wagon as well. Even the girl who'd said no before and that made Raven hesitate. The mage was going. Did she want to go if the mage was going? Maybe they could do it by themselves. Maybe this world wouldn't be so bad and there'd be a nice, little abandoned hut in the forest somewhere that she could make her own and animals to hunt for food and-

"I'm in of course. Why else would I be carrying the stupid orb?" Raven took a step toward the path and then looked back over her shoulder. "Well?" And that was how they became a group. Raven almost couldn't believe it had actually happened. She'd been alone for so long and now to be going on some kind of- a sort of- well quest. That was what they'd been called in the stories. Quests for magical items that always ended badly, usually with the death of the heroes. Raven had always scorned the stupid characters for leaving their homes and going anywhere near magic but she'd never been told that sometimes the magic found you.
Writing Gooder

73 Reviews

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:18 pm
Light_Devil! says...

Spoiler! :
Quick summary of battle (this does involve rolling dice. XD):

If your speed is greater than theirs go to this website (you will want to bookmark/favourite this page. You're going to use it a lot) and roll a d2. If you roll a 1, you can dodge. If your speed is less than theirs roll a d100; anything above or equal to 90 is a dodge. (This works the same for an enemy. You will be rolling for them as well.)

If you choose to defend, and your defense is greater than their attack roll a d2. If you roll a 1, you defend. If your defense is not greater than their attack, roll a d100; anything above or equal to 90 is a dodge. (This works the same for an enemy. You will be rolling for them as well.)

If you choose not to defend or dodge, the enemies attack is equal to their listed attack, however, your defense, as a percentage (the result which is then rounded up to the nearest whole number), will be taken off the attack.

When you attack, if your attack is greater than their defense, you will hit, unless they can dodge (which you will need to roll for, rules are the same). If your attack is less than their defense, roll a d100 and anything above and equal to 90 is a hit. If you do not roll over or equal to 90, you do not hit successfully and their reaction will be to defend. Magic attacks are still considered attacks.

It is vice versa for you and your enemy.

For the sake of fairness, accept that you and your opponent will have turns.

Dodging and defending are considered reactions and not turns.

Simple example of a short battle:

Enemy:

Health - 7
Speed - 9
Attack - 59
Defense - 10

Azrael Linx:

Health - 300
Speed – 14
Attack – 8
Defense - 8

Enemy attacks (59) / Azrael dodges ( 14 > 9, rolled 1).
Azrael attacks (8) / Enemy defends ( 10 > 8, rolled 30).
Enemy attacks (59)/ Azrael attempts to dodge, but fails (rolled 2). Enemy's hit succeeds (0.08*59 = 4.7 * 5, therefore attack = 54), health falls to 246.
Azrael attacks (8)/ Enemy attempts to defend, but fails (rolled 2). Azrael's hit succeeds (0.10*8 = 0.8 = 1, therefore attack = 7), enemy's health falls to 0.
Azrael wins.

You don't need to be so technical and have fun with describing your fights. However, that's the general gist of it.

Also, please find attached a more recent set of character details.

Character.pdf
Here it is. :)
(183.48 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

5XP to everyone. :3

Also, Laminated, I rechecked the XP, and at my count you were still at 31XP (until I just added 5.)

A silence descended on the group. In the distance a sound, much like the howling of a wolf, echoed around them. An ear-splitting chime rang off, causing much of them to cringe. It sounded almost like an alarm.

Thundering foot-steps began approaching them. Bushes rustled. And then everything was still. An eerie quiet surrounded them. Abruptly, four furred figures leapt from the bushes by the party and growled, a death-curdling sound which made the four people's stomachs coil in stress.

In front of the group stood four werewolves, drool dripping from their blood-stained snouts. Their yellow eyes were clouded with blood-lust, the thrill of a good hunt still thrumming through their bodies. Confidence and sheer will oozed from them. They thought the group in front of them was easy pickings. Maybe they were wrong. Maybe they were right.

Spoiler! :
Werewolf (All 4):

Health - 20
Speed - 14
Attack - 66
Defense - 13

They don't have weapons, apart from claws and teeth, so any attribute skills will not be helpful.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:41 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Grif, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 300/300, Gold: 120g (69 XP until next level)

Grif had ample time to prepare his bow for combat.
Spoiler! :
Since the bow is a long range weapon, would there be any first strike option for Grif, or free shot (provided he could see them coming?) Also, where does accuracy come into play?

Grif

Health - 300
Speed - 15
Attack - 8
Defense - 11

Grif attacks (8)/ Werewolf attempts to dodge, but fails! (rolled 58)
Grif hits for 8*.89= 7. Werewolf is down to 13 health.
Werewolf attacks (66)/ Grif attempts to dodge and succeeds (rolled 1)
Grif attacks (8)/ Werewolf attempts to defend but fails (rolled 2)
Grif hits for 8*.89=7. Werewolf is down to 6 health.
Werewolf attacks (66)/ Grif attempts to dodge and succeeds (rolled 1)
Grif attacks (8)/Werewolf attempts to defend, but fails (rolled 2)
Grif hits for 8*.89=7. Werewolf has been defeated!

Grif is feeling tired! Stamina used is 8 attack*7*3 hits*.5 (Rogue has half the stamina costs)=84. His stamina is down to 216/300. (I'm not sure at what rate stamina is regenerated.)

He picked a target and fired an arrow. The werewolf tried to dodge, but the arrow found it's mark and the werewolf yelped in pain. It charged straight at Grif and leaped at him as he reloaded. With the fluidity of movement that came natural for YWS Moderators, Grif dodged under the attack, rolled around, drew back the bow again and fired another arrow into the werewolf. The werewolf again leaped at Grif, but Grif dodged out of the way yet again, narrowly avoiding the sharp claws. The bow reloaded, Grif fired a final shot into the Werewolf. The werewolf fell and moved no more. He quickly reloaded, hoping to lend some other aid to another member of the group, but there was nothing more he could do. Instead, he went about retrieving the arrows he had shot.

Spoiler! :
I'm going to add some additional thoughts on the DT.

73 Reviews

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:20 am
View Likes
Light_Devil! says...

Spoiler! :
So, combat has pretty much been finalised. Please see the DT Combat Master Post for further information and feel free to continue the story.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:01 pm
Rydia says...

Raven, Lvl 3, Health: 300/300, Mana: 300/300, Stamina: 340/340, Gold: 0. Capacity: 87.5/89 (Experience to next level: 65)

As the wolves descended on the group, Raven only just had time to draw her axe and regret not having equipped her new items before one was almost on top of her.

Spoiler! :
Enemy: Health - 20 /Speed - 14 /Attack - 66 /Defense - 13
Raven: Health - 300 /Speed – 14 /Attack – 15 /Defense - 9

Enemy attacks (66) / Raven attempts to dodge and succeeds (rolled 9)
Raven has melee weapon (1d6) (rolled 2)
Raven attacks (15) / Enemy attempts to dodge and succeeds (rolled 1)
Enemy attacks (66) / Raven attempts to dodge and fails (rolled 81)
Werewolf hits for 66*0.91= 60. Raven is down to 240 health.
Raven has melee weapon (1d6) (rolled 4)
Raven attacks (15) / Enemy attempts to dodge and fails (rolled 82)
Raven attempts to hit again (1d2) (rolled 1) Raven succeeds
Raven attempts to hit again (1d2) (rolled 2) Raven fails
Raven attempts to hit again (1d2) (rolled 2) Raven fails
Raven hits for 15*0.87= 14*2= 28. Werewolf has been defeated!

Raven is feeling tired! Stamina used is (7*14)+(7*15)+(7*14)+(7*13*0.5)= 346.5
(What happens if we use more stamina than we have? Am I doing this right? Are stamina costs too high?)

She dodged to the side as the werewolf tried to pounce on her and then swung her battle axe at the creature but it moved nimbly out of the way. The werewolf circled around and Raven moved with it, watching for the next attack but when it came she was too slow to react. The werewolf leapt at her, his claws and teeth raking across her arm and causing Raven to cry out in anger. She pushed the werewolf away and followed up with two crushing blows of her axe, leaving the creature a messy pile of fur and blood on the ground.

Raven backed away from the battle to tend to her wound, returning to the river near by. She washed the blood away carefully and filled her waterskin to take a drink; she felt exhausted. This time Raven was making no mistakes and she equipped her new throwing stars, pulled on the gauntlets, hung the dagger at her belt and swung the cloak over her shoulders. It seemed that this land was far more dangerous than she'd expected. "Those were big wolves," she remarked to the group when the fighting was over.

[OOC: Can you please tell me how any of the equipment affects her stats and what the stats for the throwing stars and dagger are.]
Writing Gooder

“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell