z

Young Writers Society

The Curb (Started | Full)

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:46 am
fictionfanatic says...

Lotta - near the van

I made it to the warehouse just in time to see them stuff Nick and Kyr into the van. The moment I had seen the van pull away at the hill I knew where they were headed. Well, that and I had a vision.

I plucked a vision out of the future and sprinted to where they would soon be turning down. My legs pumped and my stride was big, so I made it just in time to run into the street.

Standing there, I played chicken, holding my ground firm and my gaze intense. If they hit me, they could go to prison, they were smart enough to know that. What would they do? No way I was moving.

They must have finally noticed me there, because the tires screamed against the asphalt road as they hit the brakes, just a couple of feet away.

I tensed my jaw as the car came closer and closer, still skidding to a stop. They had been going too fast. The car at my shins, I jumped up onto the hood and held on tight.

Their reactions were priceless as they saw me jump up onto the hood, I nearly started laughing, but now wasn't the time.

Just then, an involantary vision was shown to me. A single, gray room with all of us stuffed in there, beaten and battered, bruised and cut. Our faces were glum and our eyes seemed to be blank amd empty. The door creaked open and a woman in a white lab coat came in, followed by a couple of men. They grabbed us, only some of us resisting and fighting.

Suddenly, we were in what looked like a lab, needles, viles, surgery tools, and strange looking objects were everywhere. They begann to insert the strange liquids into our arms and legs through the needles, draw blood, take DNA samples.
The vision ended and I couldn't help but let out a gasp. No. I couldn't let that happen. We had to fight harder.

With that thought, I quickly stood up and started kicking in the window. It slowly began cracking and, after a couple more kicks, the glass shattered. The people inside quickly got out of the car, ready to fight me. But I was ready too. No way I was going to back down from this. Our own lives were at stake.
Live, Love, Laugh

84 Reviews

Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:11 pm
fictionfanatic says...

*cough cough* Hey, look! It's someone elses turn! :)
Live, Love, Laugh

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:21 pm
Redfang18 says...

Rodney
The twins' lair
Early morning, close to dawn

Something was bothering Rudy, I could sense it. As his twin, I could sense his feelings, but not his thoughts. His thoughts were completely cut off from me and vice versa. Regardless of that dilema, I still sense Rudy's feelings. I could sense he was troubled by something that involved me, but I couldn't make out what it was. Whatever's troubling Rudy had something to do with me, but I wasn't sure. Force of habit, I put a blanket over Rudy and let him sleep. He was a more sound sleeper than I was, but I didn't care.
Rudy asked me in his sleep, "Julius, do you snore?"
I chuckled and answered, "You know I don't snore, Anubis. We've played that game when we were three. I'm too old for this game. We both are too old for this game."
Rudy mumbled, "Killjoy."
I countered, "Stick in the mud."

Spoiler! :
If anybody is gonna call for help, Rodney will heard the call in his sleep.
Last edited by Redfang18 on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:27 am
ScarlettFire says...

Dr. Alison Bishop | Outside the Shed:

Alison Bishop was in the middle of chaos. Not only were the kids fighting back, but several had escaped. Alison growled under her breath and turned to order half their men towards the warehouse some distance away. Then she turned back to Adrian and narrowed her gaze.

Tapping the earpiece on her left ear when it beeped, she said, "Get the second team in here. Alpha is taking care of some strays." She tapped the earpiece again, smirking. "Stent," Alison called. "Leave her be. I'll deal with that one myself."
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:28 am
Lydia1995 says...

Sally ¦ R&D Office

"What's going on? Why has the van stopped?" Mikael asked peering closely at the screen.

"I don't know. I can't see." I replied tapping keys furiously trying to zoom in and focus the camera. "Ugh," I sighed in exasperation.

"Here, let me," Mikael said leaning across and calmly pressing buttons until we could see the van more clearly. "What the...?"

"It's one of the subjects. They really are fighting hard. I think they've smashed the windscreen but it's hard to tell. Do you think we should call in more people?" I asked turning to look at the phone, as though it held answers.

"I don't know. We were never told what to do if things got this bad," Mikael said. Almost as soon as he spoke the phone beeped. I snatched it up and heard Alison down the other end. "Send in the second team, Alpha is picking up strays."

"Right," I replied briefly, putting the phone down.

"There," I said picking up the phone. "Send in the other van, the one with the bigger tranquilizers," I said.

"But those knock you out for days!"

"Yes, well it will give us time to take intial samples without them struggling and it will make them disorientated about how long they have been here which could prove helpful," I said staring blankly at the screen. Mikael just nodded.

"I guess."
Thinking about what you COULD achieve will get you no where. You've got to chase your dreams.
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=92400 - Need a review?

84 Reviews

Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:20 pm
fictionfanatic says...

deleted
Last edited by fictionfanatic on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live, Love, Laugh

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:45 pm
Skull3670 says...

Mikael

Sally spoke clearly and concisely, giving Security teams Bravo through Delta directions and equipment specifications. while she spoke i finished my coffee and cleaned up. I returned to the screen to see an unexpected scene unfolding. Some of the subjects and had escaped and the team on the ground had noticed some had been missing when we arrived. Not only that, but the van in which two of the subjects had been detained had unexplainedly returned to the fight.
"Sal you need to see this." I tapped her shoulder and pointed at the screen.
"What the hell? Oh god this is all going wrong. She's going to be furious." I winced. We both knew what an angry Alison would entail. Weeks when the slightest mistake would mean a rant and possibly even being made to take field training so we could assist the security teams. In short, an utter nightmare.
"Oh god i can't watch."
I have looked into the eye of the storm and stared it down. I am an adrenaline junky and i know no fear.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:09 am
Redfang18 says...

Rudy
The twins' lair
Morning hours

Rodney was already up, dressed in black. He was ready for another garden-raiding. With a sly grin, I dressed myself in quick haste and followed Rodney to another ripe garden. This time, we raided the garden of watermelons, carrots, tomatos, cabbage, radishes, cucumbers, squash, and a couple plump pumpkins. We made a stew out of our renewed supplies, using our pumpkins as bowls. Rodney was satisfied with our successful raid. He said happily, "We have given ourselves a feast for our breakfast, Anubis. I love an excellent raid in the morning."
I agreed, "I'll drink to that, Julius. We both love an excellent raid in the morning. You're the boss, Julius."
Rodney punched my shoulder playfully. "Stick-in-the-mud."
"Killjoy."
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

84 Reviews

Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:19 am
fictionfanatic says...

RedFang, you're pretty ahead of us. Like, we haven't even finished the fight and you're on the next day
Live, Love, Laugh

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15 am
ScarlettFire says...

(Fiction, I believe his posts were the night before. Now they're level with us. And they won't be skipping ahead anytime soon. Oh, and, Fic? You're kinda god-modding it here. Let us get captured already, huh?

Also, please try not to post Out-Of-Character posts in the SB unless it's part of your In-Character post.
OOC posts go in the DT, guys.)

Ashley | Outside the Shed:

I was freaking out, there was no other way to put it. The malice and suppressed violence coming from the group of adults rounding us up was driving something in me into overdrive. And the woman, the intent in her. The cold, hard anger. That would be the worst one to get anywhere close to.

Pressure was building up in my mind, and suddenly I knew what was happening. There were too many emotions, too many negative ones. And I couldn't cope with it. I clamped my hands over my ears, eyes scanning the hillside. One by one, we teens went down, until, suddenly, Red and I were the only ones left still alert.

And then She turned to me, a small, cruel looking smile turning up the corners of her lips. I swallowed, backing up as she approached me. "Now, now, Miss Cambell, that's quite enough of that."

I stared at the woman blankly, the pressure still building in my head. How did she know my name? How did she know where we'd be? Questions ran through my head, but I had no answers. Not yet. But this woman did. And she reeked of violence and cruelty.

"Take them in," the woman said and turned away. Moments later, I felt someone grab my wrists and force my hands down, then something sharp was in my neck. Was that a needle? Oh god, it was. The world grew fuzzy, my hold on my so-called power broke, but nothing happened. Oh, no. Whatever was in the needle was blocking it. A second later, and my vision was gone and the woman's word s were drowned out by a rushing sound.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:35 am
View Likes
sylverdawn says...

*Can we just jump ahead to the institute and say everyone got caught. Cause I can't really think of anything to post when the majority of us are drugged? Also, the researchers might be interested in the stuff Kyran's found out while tracking his adoptive family, it's all in his backpack.*

Kyran -- The Van:

Kyr's head plunged beneath the ice cold water and he fought to hold his breath as the hand on the back of his neck tightened. Tearing out clumps of hair and staining the water pink with blood. His lungs tightened and his vision began to turn red. Just before Kyr passed out the hand lifted and pulled his face out of the sink.

When the hand released him ten year old Kyran stumbled backwards, putting as much distance between himself and his mother as he could. Shivering, he wrapped thin arms around his torso, watching her out of the corner of his eye as she ranted. How he was sick, a freak, an abomination that should never have been born. She would have drowned him at birth of if that street trash hadn't come along and taken him.

Kyr stifled the sobs as he tuned out the familiar rant. Above him rain began to fall from whispy grey clouds near the ceiling.

*I'm going with the assumption that the drug is dredging up old memories for Kyr. All I got right now.*
DANCE- Like no-one is watching
LOVE- Like you've never been hurt
SING- Like no-one is listening
LIVE- Like it's heaven on earth.

Please read and review my novel. The title is Fireborn. Here's the link.

novel.php?id=1157

84 Reviews

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:48 pm
fictionfanatic says...

*I deleted my above post, so this is my new thing*

Lotta:

Standing on top of the van, I stared down the people who had gotten out. They had what looked like a gun but different somehow...a tranquilizer gun? My eyes in slits, I balled up my fists, digging my nails into my palms.

A vision flashed into my mind, and I knew I would loose this one. Looking into the car, I saw Nick and Kyr, and then jumped off of the hood.

Sticking my chin in the air, I kept my pride and said firmly, "Do it."

They seemed a little surprised at my willingness, but then stuck a needle into the side of my neck.

I tried to conjur up a vision, but I found myself uncapable. Maybe these people knew more about us than we thought. Slowly, I felt fatigue creep up on me and my sight went black, and I felt myself crumple to the ground.

After that, everything was a blur and I felt like I was drugged. I kept slipping in and out of conciousness. As I slept, I dreamed something from my memories I wasn't too proud of:

"Lotta," dad croaked in a hoarse whisper, barely audible to anyone else around, "I need you to do something for me."

"What is it daddy?" I asked, reaching towards his face to push his blonde hair from his eyes.

With a great effort, he reached under his pillow, flinching from having to move his body. He pulled out a small hand gun from under his pillow and he held it out to me.

"Lotta, I need you to save me. Save me from this pain. My life is being drawn out too long, and it hurts so bad Lotta. Please, help me!" He said in a hoarse whisper, tears welling up in his green eyes as he urged me to take the gun, to do the unthinkable.

And I couldn't refuse. I had witnessed his pain, how miserable he was, how life just seemed useless to him. So, hesitantly, I reached out and took the gun.

He smiled, and whispered, "At eight tonight, your brother is taking your sister to get ice cream, and you're supposed to be at your piano lessons. So, please come then Lotta." His eyes begged me and his face turned into a grimaced as he coughed and blood spilled from his mouth.

Tears running down my face, I nodded, "Okay daddy."

That night a eight fifteen, I went to my fathers room. He was asleep, in my mother's old rocking chair, facing th window. He must have watched the sunset, his last sunset.

At first, I thought to wake him, but I realized he must have wanted this to happen while he was asleep, wanted the sunset to be the last thing he saw. I had been on the computer that day, finding a way to do this without pain. Where the skull connects to the spine is the best place. He wouldn't feel a thing.

Tears streaming down my face, I leaned down and kissed him on the cheek, then whispered, "I love you daddy."

Biting down on my bottom lip, I tilted his head forward and I placed the gun in the spot where I learned would be painless.

Taking a deep breath, I felt like I was going to hypervenilate and pass out. So, I counted, "One. Two-"

I couldn't help but hesitate, It took me a minute to gain the courage to do it, but I said, "Three!"

When the gun shot of, I screamed and started to cry harder. I just killed my father! His head hung limply and his arms slid off of the arm rests, but I looked into his face and for the first time in forever he looked...happy.

I woke up, hearing someone screaming. Only when I felt the ain in my throat did I realize I was the one screaming.
Live, Love, Laugh

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:43 am
Skull3670 says...

Mikael: R&D Office

Finally this conflict reached its inevitable conclusion. As each subject fell the group itself became weaker, until finally all were sedated, flex cuffed, bags over their heads and in the back of the transport vans. It didn't matter where they had hidden, Salacin had known their where abouts from the moment of their creation. They were a valuable property and now they would fulfil their purpose.
If what he had seen on those screens was any indication, each of those subjects had manifested a unique ability. Eached a wonderous jump in random evolution. All with the potential to better mankind immensely.
Of course all the subjects would go through the same process. All evidence of the skirmish would be removed. They would be cleaned, blood samples taken, physical exams to ensure their health and finally some highly advanced scans and test especially developed for them by the R and D team. It would be wonderful.
And a lot of effort, i thought nonchalantly.
"Well, we got them Sally. Bagged, tagged and returned to Salacin." I smiled.
"Just think of what we can learn from them." She practically vibrated with excitement.
" I know. It's going to be an interesting next few weeks. Hey you fancy grabbing a drink? If we don't celebrate this then what will we, eh?"
I have looked into the eye of the storm and stared it down. I am an adrenaline junky and i know no fear.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:14 pm
RedBird says...

Nick: In a dream state,

My mind whirls. Memories flash by in bursts of sound and smells. And then I'm back at the beginning, where it all started.

My parents have just left my tiny bedroom after kissing me goodnight. I begin to drift off to sleep, letting the familiar city sounds lull me. But then, everything changes. I hear the drunken yells of a man so far gone, he doesn't even realize where he is anymore, and then I hear the WHOOSH as something ignites. I sit straight up, unable to see anything, hearing the distant crackles of flames growing closer and closer. Then the screams. They too start far away, before coming gradually closer. And then the heat is at my door and the screams have become my parents' screams as something heavy falls in front of my door, sending a wave of burning air under the crack. "Mommy!" I shriek, "Daddy!" But they do not answer, because the scream is my own now, and no one else is left to hear it. Sobbing, I climb under my bed and curl up, shaking with my grief as the smoke thickens. I begin to cough, and my only thought as I close my eyes is to be somewhere safe. And when I open my eyes, I am. The smoke is merely a haze in the distance, and I am no longer under my bed, but under a swing set at my preschool. Briefly, I remember what happened, the burning, the screaming, the terrible knowledge of what happened to my parents. I push it all away, deep into the recesses of my mind. I don't, CAN'T, remember it. And so my new life begins.

I come to consciousness gasping. My head is soaking, and I see that it's being lowered to a bucket full of icy water. Without thinking, I will the bucket to be somewhere else, and it disappears. So my head hits a hard desk instead. I grunt in pain, but my mind is still on the memory that I have not thought about for over a decade.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:14 pm
sylverdawn says...

Kyran- Fourteen years old:

Kyr ran down the street his heart racing with exhiliration as he dashed past familiar buildings. The wind that blew at his back intensified as he reached the warehouse. He was away from his monster of a mother and finally going home. Grinning Kyr ducked inside the old warehouse. Someone had started remodeling it into a home they had even furnished it before running out of money. The place had sat forgotten until Kyr and his Aunts and Uncles had found it.

"Uncle Lyam? Aunt Sarah? Guys it's Kyr! I'm back!" Kyr's joyful shouts trailed away as he wandered through the warehouse. No one was there and a thick layer of dust coated everything. There were no clothes or food. To all appearances the warehouse was uninhabited and had been for a long time.
The old street performer coughed as he smiled at Kyr. "Well if it isn't young Kyran. Haven't seen you in years boy. Where've you been?"

Shrugging Kyr answered him. "Around. Listen can you tell me where Uncle Jake and the others went? I was at our old warehouse but no one was there.

The old man glanced at him in confusion. His words seemed to echo down a long tunnel as Kyr fought to wake from the memory. "What are you talking about Kyran-lad? You always lived alone in that warehouse."

Kyr jolted awake from the dream as a needle pierced his arm. Flinching Kyr swung instinctively at the white coated man, his gaze searching the room as he found the others. Most of them still unconscious.
DANCE- Like no-one is watching
LOVE- Like you've never been hurt
SING- Like no-one is listening
LIVE- Like it's heaven on earth.

Please read and review my novel. The title is Fireborn. Here's the link.

novel.php?id=1157

You wake up in the morning and it feels impossible? Good. You do it anyway.
— Martin Scorcese