z

Young Writers Society

The Crossing

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:46 pm
blackwings_angel says...

Baer shook from the silence. It was eerie. Usually Mira was telling her stories by now.
"Did you two ever really know your father?" Bear asked, trying to be casual. Alpheus shot him a warning glance don't expose anything.
Elsyia eyed him suspiciously. "Yes we knew him. Why?"
Baer tried to shrug the question off. "I never really knew my father, always busy at work. I recently found out that he has..... not shown up for work recently. I'm worried about him." Miya giggled.
"Silly, he's probably just sick."
Elysia shot him a wicked look. He was hiding something. "What does your father do?"
Baer stamerred. Alpheus groaned, how stupid could Baer be. This was going to be a long story.
Glory is like a circle in the water, Which never ceaseth to enlarge itself, Till by broad spreading it disperses to naught. -William Shakespeare

join my Storybook, now would be a great time for a new character to come in. :wink:

Random avatar

Reviews: 82
Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:48 am
misspriss says...

After packing up his camp, Ruben left, carrying only a small cloth pack. He treaded lightly on the ground cushioned with pine needles. Much to his suprise, he felt lonely. He tried to shrug it off, but he couldn't shake the feeling. Damn, he thought moodily, now I have no where to turn. The other Easterlings would eventually shun him, once they found out that they had kidnapped his father. They would probably try to kill him too. He knew a lot of information.

He didn't have any kin except his father. Well, at least in his own mind he didn't have any other relations. Baer was as good as dead. Actually, worse. He was alive. Unwillingly, his mind went to the days when he and Baer had played in the creek beside their house, with nothing to worry about except keeping their clothes clean.

That was a long time ago...

38 Reviews

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:33 am
blackwings_angel says...

Baer walked with the others, dragging a little behind. His party was deep in some conversation about something, somehwere, but Baer didn't care. He remebered when Ruben and him sat upon their father's lap, falling asleep to their father's soothing voice, spinning wonders in a web, filling their dreams with stories of robin hood or little bears. Baer shook the thought out of his mind. He felt a pain in his chest, a certain tugging. He seemed to miss his brother. He closed his eyes, a tear rolling down his cheeks. A warm image of Baer and Ruben clinging to their father's shirt, the fire warming all three sleeping boys. A steady heartbeat echoed through Bar's head. His father's. That was usually the last thing Baer heard before drifting off to sleep, remembering what it was like to be able to fall asleep in such comforting arms. But then- Baer cringed. It all changed when he turned ten. His father used to talk about nothing but being heir to the throne, and nothing else. That had been the last straw for him. He ran away then. He remembered his first night away from home it rained. He climbed up into tree, and wrapped his arms around his clattering knees, his tears and his fears bleeding out of him. Through his chattering teeth, he told him self everything would be alright, and fell alseep telling himself one of his father's many tales, about Robin Hood and his band of merry men. Baer remembered that day all too well. That was the main reason he took up his "occupation" . His father stories were the only things that really kept him going, and gave him the nerve to do what he did.
"Baer, you all right?" Alpheus said, breaking Baer's trance. Miya and Elsyia stared fearfully at Baer.
"Huh, Oh yes I'm fine, Let's keep going."
Glory is like a circle in the water, Which never ceaseth to enlarge itself, Till by broad spreading it disperses to naught. -William Shakespeare

join my Storybook, now would be a great time for a new character to come in. :wink:

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:47 am
Kinsley says...

Sorry I've been gone for so long. I'm grounded.

Anyways, not quite sure how to further the story at this point other than the group making it to a town.

Miya rambled on, recounting the story of a boy living in a colorless community. Jonas was his name. Elysia also heard something about a giver, whatever that was. Something was troubling Baer. Elysia hung back and let Miya skip on ahead. When Baer looked up and noticed she was there he gave a half-hearted smile. She returned it and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Is everything okay, Baer?" she asked. He shook his head but didn't reply. By what she had overheard Elysia knew that the Easterlings would be in the closest villiage, Songtu. But they would have to risk it. THey needed supplies and Songtu was the next biggest town besides the one beyond the mountain pass. Even during the early fall the crossing through the mountains would be strenuous and exhausting. It was frigid up at that altitude and everyone needed proper clothing. Especially Miya who only had a sun dress.

Eventually Elysia's thoughts wandered to Prosper, one of her only friends in her home town since the plague. What would he be doing right now? she asked herself. Elysia giggled out loud. Probably prancing around in his coveralls pretending to be a big man. He was only eleven and always tried to act older than he was but his true playful personality usually came shining through no matter how hard he tried to stifle it. He wasn't quite old enough to work in the fields but he would sneak off and watch the men harvest the corn and other vegetables. Was he sick too? Elysia wondered. She automatically pushed her legs to walk faster. It was still a long journey but she didn't want anyone to be sick longer than they had to be.

(Don't ask me how I came up with Miya telling the story about The Giver. The idea probably popped into my head after reading it some today.)
To M.J.,

I hope you can forgive me,
Though I'll never forgive myself.
Until again, my friend

38 Reviews

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:15 am
blackwings_angel says...

Baer finally shook himself out of his stage of depression. He knew that him brother and him would be able to save him. Hopefully.THe edge of teh forest was approaching and Songtu was just a few hundred yards away.A thick smoldering smell haunted the air. One too familar to Baer, a fire. Usually town's didn't have fires out in the open. "Um alpheus.." Alpheus nodded, a sorrowed expression on his face. "Girls, I'm not so sure we should..." Miya interrupted him "It smells like a party! It smells like their cooking something!" She pushed aside the bush to see a disgusting site, of the smoldering town, bodies piled high, burning. Alpheus quickly bent over to cover Miya's eyes, tears wetting his hand. Elysia stood still her hand over mouth. Alpheus rocked Miya back and forth, whispering words of encouragement to her. "Looks like we'll be together a little while longer." Alpheus said to Miya. "Looks like we're going to the mountain towns." Baer muttered under his breath.

22 Reviews

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:34 am
Kinsley says...

Elysia covered her eyes to sheild herself from the carnage. Alpheus was with Miya but Baer stood alone. A single tear slipped down her cheek. She bent down in front of Miya so there was no way that she could see what had happened to the people of Songtu. What now? she thought miserably. Baer stepped away from the huddle and stared straight at the still smoldering huts and houses. Bodies littered the ground and the air reeked of death.
Elysia knew the Easterlings weren't this cruel. They didn't set fire to entire villiages, especially defenseless ones.

The king denied the Easterlings passage through her villiage so they dressed and posed as travelers for the king and spread the plague. They had started this entire journey for a cure. Elysia didn't agree but she still understood why they spread the diesease throughout her hometown villiage of Salis. The Easterlings were once the king's soldiers. But when they refused to help fight in the war the king disowned them. And when the king denied them passage they thought it was a complete betrayal. Now they were doing horrible things to people while traveling under the king's name. They may spread disease and reek havoc on smaller towns but never without a reason. This must have been an inside job.
To M.J.,

Until again, my friend

38 Reviews

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:40 pm
blackwings_angel says...

Baer entered the ruins of teh village, looking for some supplies and nessecities for the mountains. He had found ahouse that was not burned down, merely pummeled to the ground. In the rubble he found a fur coat, 3 boots, a few hats, and a loaf of stale bread. he continued his search through the town. Grabbing an apple here, blankets there, until he came to the last house near a small creek. It seemed untouched. Baer pushed teh door open into a small room. Blood covered walls, and the dead bodies of a married couple lay in front of him. Baer withdrew, Hardly containing his gag reflex. He opened the door again, eyes fixed on the ceiling, his shirt covering his nose. He peeked around the room, keeping his eyes off teh bodies and the blood. Baer had checked everywhere but the closet when he heard a small sob. He attempted to open the closet door when he realised it was locked. A small gasp came from inside then everything was quiet. With the hatchet he had tooken from a few houses back, Baer Gave one heavy blow to the edge of teh door, the bolt fully revealed.He hacked away at teh wood until teh bolt was loose enough to swing open. He entered the closest, taking another coat. He reached for a dress, which presumely was the woman's, which would only be a little big on Elsyia. A tiny hand reached out and hit him as he took a hold of teh dress. "LEt go of my mommies dress!" Screamed a teeny voice, bursting into sobs after the sentence. Baer let go of the dress, and seperated the clothes as if he was parting curtains. HE was greeten by a small girl, her eyes bloodshot, tears streaking her face. "Your one of them I know it!" THe little girl screamed, besieging Baer with fistfuls of buttons.
"I'm one of who?" Baer asked her, in teh sweetest voice he could conjure up.
"Murders...theives... you are terrible people!" THe girl threw more buttons at him.
"Did I kill your parents?" Baer asked. Maybe he could find out who was behind this treachery.
The girl let out a shrill scream, tears flooding from her eyes again. "THe axes, slashing and hacking" SHe broke out into sobs. "Mommy!" She hugged her knees tight to her chest ocking back and forth.
"You killed your mother?" Baer asked feeling very sympathetic for the little girl.
the girl wouldn't say anymore besides axes, mommy, blood, and "those eyes" with each word breaking out in tears. Baer picked the girl up in his arms, sending her into a fit, screaming in his ear, and biting his shoulder.
"I'm only trying to help." Baer said, wiping the blood off of his shoulder.
The girl still in a panicked frenzy skidded between his legs out into the living room, sending a terrified scream from her lungs, then diving into the creek whipped away by the current. She lost it. For her, Baer thought, their must of been no reason to live, the terrible vision haunting her mind. How terrible it must be to watch your parents be slaughtered. Baer shuddered at the thought. Baer sat along the bank of the river for a little while, thinking of all the little girl and the pain she must of felt. Alpheus soon appeared by his side, gasping for breath.
"We heard a scream." Alpheus said, picking up their loot.
"So did I." Baer said. He didn't want to mention the little girl.
"She should get back to the girls, they didn't want to get any closer to this place than they are now. Let's get going." The jogged back to where the girls were sitting, backs to the village.
"We have the nessecities we need to continue our trip. Let's get away from here."
The walked for about two hours of silence, before Alpheus said, "It's getting dark, let's camp here." With a small fire and a meal of rabbit and stale bread, thye fell asleep each haunted with nightmares. Baer couldn't get te hlittle girl out of his head. SHe kept repeating over and over to him. those eyes

22 Reviews

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:05 am
Kinsley says...

Wow, it's really been a long time. Finally my computer is fixed. Anyways...

Prosper floated into view. Elysia flashed him a smile and watched him harvesting the vegatables that had been planted earlier in the year. He was so proud now that he was old enough to work with the other men. He considered himself one but didn't share their same feelings. He actually liked the back breaking work. Miya bounded across the bed of flowers and jumped into Elysia's arms. Everything was green and no one had a trace of illness. Baer leaned down to sit next to her. She liked living in Salis. There were no worrys except for the occassional animal that got loose. And even that was fun, seeing Miya race after a stubborn goat or pig. Elysia glanced up at the sky in all its beauty. Puffy coulds dotting the horizon, and that certain blue that everyone associated with the sky. When something bumped her shoulder Elysia's eyes flashed open and she awakened to the stark reality of her life.
To M.J.,

Until again, my friend

Random avatar

Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:49 am
misspriss says...

Raking his fingers through his curly, raven black hair, Ruben sighed heavily. Why me? he thought, why? He was in a terrible situation. He had three options, go back to the Easterlings and be found out, or continue pursuing the two girls he was supposed to kidnap and be found out. Or, he thought angrily, meet with Baer and work with him to save our father. The thought held only revulsion to him, but it seemed the best option. The only affection he had for his brother was in fond memories. The memories...

No! His head snapped up. He would not revisit those old times. They were passed and gone, and the only thing he cared for was his survival. He could, of course, travel with Baer in friendliness until their father was out of danger, and then kidnap the girls. Yes, he thought to himself, that was by far the best route to take. And take it, he would.

38 Reviews

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:29 pm
blackwings_angel says...

Baer brushed past Elsyia's arm in a sleepy manner. He was going down to the river, hoping a nice bath would clear his thoughts of that little girl. AS he scrubbed himself clean in cold running river, he heard a loud crackling in the bushes, behind him. Baer spun around, swimming over to stand behind a nearby rock, in case it was one of the girls. My, he thought, imagine their faces. In front of him pushed through the curtains a familar arm. Ruben had returned. " I told you once and I'll tell you again. Leave these girls alone! They have done you no harm." Last time he saw his brother he had him at knife point, now, he stodd in front of him, his clothes and weapons lying in a heap next to his feet.
"I mean them no harm. I have heard about father. We must work in unison to save him. I don't mean you or the girls harm, or at least not for a little bit." He grabbed his shirt and tossed it around. "Now, I say we work together, it would be a terrible thing if this nice shirt was lost in the rapids." He smiled and shot Baer a wink, "Just like the old days."
Baer looked suspisiously at Ruben, he was quite some liar. He would go along with RUben's tricks for now. Who knows, maybe his brother had tooken a turn for the best.

22 Reviews

Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:45 pm
Kinsley says...

Baer staggered into the clearing, his clothing sopping wet, along with another man who looked similar. Alpheus shot them a suspicious look and Baer smiled.

"We had a little disagreement down at the river but everything's fine now." Ruben had tossed baer clothes in the stream so Baer pushed him in. Finally even, the two hurried back so as not to worry the girls. Elysia turned around and eyed Ruben curiously. Was that man she had seen before? She couldn't quite remeber but he did look somewhat familiar.

"Everyone, this is Ruben."
To M.J.,

Until again, my friend

38 Reviews

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:36 am
blackwings_angel says...

Baer let Ruben interact with the girls, but stood on his guard. He didn't want hom snatching them away and a group of easterlings keeping ALpheus and himself back. He walked over to Alpheus, "Don't worry, he's on our side now. We have a common goal now or at least for a little time." ALpheus eyed him curiously. "Our father has been taken hostage and a grand amount of money is being offered for his safety. Ruben and I must save him. This is the one thing that could make us put our diffferences aside and fight together, and unfortunetly it has happened. I told him to tell the girls he was another one of my band of theives. They'd believe it. Just play along until my father is safe." Alpheus had only one question. "Why is your father such a valuable man that someone would hold him hostage. Is he like a famous knight?"
"Worse, he is the king." This left Alpheus speachless, so Baer walked back to the girls. "Are we ready to get moving?"

22 Reviews

Wed May 02, 2007 4:12 pm
Kinsley says...

Elysia walked slowly behind Baer with Miya skipping happily beside her. Something's not right, she thought to herself. Baer is being too vague about his father. There must be something he's not telling us. Miya leaned in closer and peered at her sister.

"Whatcha thinking about?" she asked in a sing song voice.

"Nothin'," Elysia replied evasively.

"I bet it's about Baer," Miya teased.

"No it's not!" she cried defensively.

"Yoouuu like him. I know you do."

"I do not!" Just as Elysia spoke these words, Baer turned around and walked the short distance back to them. Miya giggled and grabbed his hand.

"Hi, Baer," she said smiling. Baer Picked her up under her arms and hiked her up on his hip.

"We still have about a mile to go before we hit another stream. We can rest then," he informed them. Elysia nodded and quickened her pace slightly. Thankfully, Baer took Miya up on ahead as he tried to catch up with Ruben.
Last edited by Kinsley on Thu May 03, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To M.J.,

Until again, my friend

Random avatar

Wed May 02, 2007 5:38 pm
misspriss says...

((Sorry I haven't posted in SO long!!!!))

As he walked along with Baer, Ruben glanced at the younger girl. She was actually kinda cute, but she was just another mission to him. What was her name? Mera? Maysi? It didn't really matter. As soon as their father was rescued, he would finish his mission.

He enjoyed the reassuring feel of a sharp knife tucked in his sleeve. In five seconds it could be at the throat of another person, all he had to do was flick it out and slice. One less person.

Of course, the main goal right now was to find his father. That was the most important.

38 Reviews

Mon May 07, 2007 12:56 am
blackwings_angel says...

Miya was lighter than Baer expected her to be. Not a word was spoken between Baer and Ruben but he sensed what he was thinking. He had been staring at Miya for quite some time, a strange look on his face. Something between passion and hatred. Maybe he was thinking about when father used to carry him like that? Baer remembered clearly. His father would always then tell him, someday You and Ruben will share my Kingdom, and everything you can see, you will be the king of. You'll like that won't you? Baer used to always smile and nod his head. His father would then chuckle and kiss him on his head, and told Baer to climb onto his back. He would spin around until Baer was dizzy then give him a piggy-back ride all the way home.
Baer's eyes were watering and obviously Miya noticed.
"What's wrong Baer?" Miya asked. Her small voice was full of concern. He hadn't realized how much she was starting to trust him. He was starting to love her like a father loved his daughter.
"Nothing Miya, i-" He paused a moment, not wanting to upset her. "I just miss my Dad. I haven't seen him in a while." This obviously caught Ruben off guard. He had a startled look on his face, and seemed suprised that Baer even mentioned him to Miya. Even though Baer was having a hard time seeing, but he could tell that Ruben was hurting as well. Miya hugged him tightly, nuzzling her head into his ribs.
"I miss my Daddy too. But soon we can both see our Daddy's right?"
Baer couldn't help but to smile. She looked up at him with her young innocent big eyes, hope glistening in their pupils.
"That's right sweety. Soon both of us will se our Daddy's"

I hope everyone's safe and sound and has some potatoes in the pantry.
— Arcticus